Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cheesegod posted:

Had movers come yesterday for my cross-country move. Everything went well until the end. They said I needed to pay 50% up front, which they did not tell me about beforehand but was reasonable. I offered to pay with check but he said it had to be either bank check, credit card or cash. He was pretty insistent on cash. I wanted to pay by CC so there would be a record of the transaction and he said there'd be a 3% fee to pay by card. Or, he would wait while I went to the ATM. I told him I would eat the fee and pay by card. He told me to make sure I had the rest in bank check for when the movers delivered my stuff as they wouldn't take cash.

Was he trying to scam me? I don't feel comfortable handing that much money over to someone with just a paper record of the transaction. The fact that he told me that the movers that will be delivering my stuff don't take cash made me more suspicious.

How you were planning on paying? I assume you had some kind of contract or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You may or may not be getting scammed, but I'd be sure to look at whatever you agreed to to figure out what's going on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Golbez posted:

Our prospective landlord wants pay stubs to confirm our income. It's 2015 and we're both paid electronically. What's a viable substitute?

Can't you get that through some online portal through your employer? Otherwise a W2 maybe? Or a printout of you bank account with all the regular deposits?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Laws in your state will vary, as well as any possible local regulations, but at least in Minnesota I think there's basically something like a de facto eviction, which basically says that by not keeping the apartment in a habitable condition then the landlord is breaking the lease.

Now of course the law and reality are vastly different things. You could start by just talking to the Landlord and asking nicely (this actually worked for me!). If that doesn't work you could see if you can find some resources in your state/area that can get you free/cheap legal advice to know if there's a way you can get out of the lease. If you know you legally can then you can threaten legal action and if that doesn't work actually go through legal action.

But if asking nicely doesn't work you'll have to find some local counsel that knows about these things.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think you're saying 36k is the max income? If that's the case and you're worried about your income going over 36k and you getting kicked out, then the answer is "depends."

Subsidized housing uses a patchwork of funding sources all with a variety of requirements. Some low you to stay if your income goes up, some don't. I don't think it'd be too suspicious to call and ask if you're still eligible if your income goes above the threshold after you've moved in, because it's a reasonable question with a not obvious answer that's good to know if you're going to be a responsible tenant.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It may be one of those situations where where it's easier to just pay up and move on with your life, but you're in a weird situation no matter what. Do you have a written lease? What does it say? Even my last apartments crummy single page lease included stuff about the deposit in it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Silly thing, but have you checked that both the top and bottom of the outlets are switched? I've often seen that with switched outlets, only one of the outlets is switched but the other is always on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is it possible to refinish a bathtub? The one in my slum of a lovely apartment is gross and it needs it badly, I miss taking baths so much! Is this something I can do myself in like a day with some effort? It was like this when I moved in, I've tried cleaning it (I'm a neat freak) but to no avail.

There are ways to refinish a tub. The kinda crummy complex my mom was in for a little while did it for her tub (twice, even though she told them it was already done). I have no idea what it costs or even if it's something you could DIY. Depending on management you could see if they would pay for some or all of it.

I Googled tub refinishing and this is a local company that does it describing their process: http://thetubguys.net/our-process.html
Looks complex and expensive. I also saw some product I could buy for $100 but no idea how that works.

So, it's "possible" but feasible is a whole other thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Teeter posted:

Have a name or a link? Googling came up with Avi-on, which seems like a pretty sweet solution because I can control everything from my phone, I just wouldn't call it "hella cheap" because it's $50 per outlet and would easily be a few hundred by the time I did the whole apartment.

I bought a wireless switch (but never ended up installing it) because I needed to "move" a switch, but the company that made mine also makes this:
http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...60_SR160%2C160_

And the related products are all similar, so that should give you a direction.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I used a combination of those little ant traps in various places in my kitchen, and then spraying the outside of my house with an ant repellent barrier, and that took care of the problem.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there a lot of condo conversions being done in that city? What's the rental market look like? I'd be really surprised that they'd renovate the units, rent them out for a few years, and then try to sell them without again renovating. They're probably just renovating to stay competitive with other complexes or move into a more upmarket segment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So maybe this is a weirdly specific edge case question, but does anyone have any experience as a married couple having a roommate? Because reasons my wife and I might be having a close friend move in with us. My wife and I have lived together for 5 or 6 years, always just the two of us. I've had roommates before, but obviously this is sort of a different situation. Just wondering if anyone had any anecdotes on how the house dynamics could change or anything like that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Minneapolis thread is good at offering apartment advice: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3034145

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how much I can get away with outright not packing in advance for my 500 foot move in two weeks. This packing poo poo sucks

Ask my friends how much they despise me for the no pack move I subjected them too. "Grab that pile and put it wherever" sucks. We have way too much poo poo as well, and also hate organizing, but it took us a year to get unpacked, and part of that was just dumping piles of crap into the new place.

Now we've moved again and it's been a year and there's still stuff that hasn't been unpacked but at least it's in labelled boxes and not piles.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mocking Bird posted:

What do you propose as a solution?

Rent control is a great policy if the goal is to exclusively help existing tenants while giving the middle finger to anyone new.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was going to recomend the Karlstad, but turns out it's been discontinued! Now I have to turn to 3rd parties for new couch covers!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They should even come with heat activated hem tape so all you need is an iron.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had my Wells Fargo debit card compromised 6 or so years ago, they gave me a "loan" for the amount taken a d after 7-10 days the loan was made permanent. There was one small charge I didn't get refunded though, maybe $10.

All told, I think I'd rather deal with a credit card fraud rather than debit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Keeping the cold water running should keep it from freezing as well, as long as the water is running fast enough and the cold water is warm enough that it can flow through the frozen area before it gets cold enough to freeze. 33 degree water will melt ice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I assume you live in a bigger building with somewhat professional management, and they're having pest control come out regularly to do preventative maintenance and deal with anything residents may report. It may be that they're only doing work to keep out cockroaches, and if you talk to your landlord they can talk to the pest people and they do some preventive treatment to deal with spiders.