Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
And only from the lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I will miss quick reply and quick compose but not enough to not upgrade to iOS 7

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
If you want to impress girls you should use putty. And if you want to transfer files while also impressing girls Cygwin is the clear choice.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Your baseband will probably be updated yes but you can get a real unlock on eBay for $5.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

goodness posted:

Please tell us how then. I would like to know.

You can jailbreak iPhone 4 on any version your heart desires.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Ugh I have 5gb of other I want to clear out. I've run PhoneClean and jail broken iCleanerPro and they don't touch that 5gb.

I want to upgrade to 7 but feel like I can wipe out the "other" easier manually over ssh while still jailbroken. Any ideas what else I can check? Aside for 'du -sh'ing random directories?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yes. I've also been jailbroken since my 3G and I only miss BiteSMS and FakeLocation. Texting from anywhere is nice, and being able to watch in market MLB games with At Bat is also nice, but iOS 7 is nicer.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Please provide a link for where you're seeing this crap about the jaibreak and the Chinese stuff.

edit: coz I think it's a load of shite

Yeah I wouldn't run this poo poo.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tgoce/official_chinese_version_of_evasi0n_comes_bundled/

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Tyma posted:

Seems a stupid question, but since nobody's specifically mentioned anything : is the Evasi0n Jailbreak untethered?

Yep. It also probably sends your credit cards and passwords to China.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

e.pie posted:

Yeah I've never felt so lukewarm about a jailbreak. All I really care about any more is the tethering and I use that so infrequently I still haven't bothered to jb my 5S.

Probably won't bother at all with my iPad.

I just want biteSMS but I honestly don't even think it's worth all the hassle. With the few dot released for 7 it's been so nice to just hit update and not have to worry about anything.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

ibntumart posted:

I tried using an external hard drive. I couldn't get iTunes to restore from it and I didn't have enough I could transfer from the laptop to free up enough space. If there is a trick to making iTunes restore from an external HDD, that would be fantastic, but I didn't have luck finding one.

You can create symlinks to the external hdd.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
7.1 is now jailbroken on 4S. Who knows if it'll ever see a public release or anything.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

MyWi was great for me because it allows WiFi sharing--so let's say you have to pay 2.99 for a connection to a public network, you just do it on the phone and then share that connection with any number of your other devices.

PDANet does this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Sunblood posted:

DFU. Right now when I turn it on it just gives me a "Plug this into iTunes" screen. When I plug into iTunes it tries to restore and gives me that. Tried multiple computers and all the Googling I could muster. Unless one of you has a miracle cure, I'm headed to Verizon in the morning.

That smells like recovery mode and not DFU. For DFU I think you need to hold home and lock for 7 seconds then remove lock until the pc recognizes the phone. The screen will be all black.

• Locked thread