Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Javid posted:

Anyone having issues with app store updates recently? When I hit "update" in the updates tab it just opens the app. Have to search for the app individually and update that way. "Update all" still works but I have a few apps I'm holding back due to poo poo-tastic updates.

Yeah it seems most people, jailbroken or not, can't update apps right if they are on ios 7.0.x

You can still search for the app in the store and hit update, but it's annoying.

My update all button is greyed out too so your ahead of most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yay can't wait until the real end user release is out, with cydia

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Zigmidge posted:

It'll be functionally no different. It's easy enough to install .deb files on a jb device without cydia and you'll still have the same problem: No cydia apps updated for 8.

Oh I just googled it and the article made it sound really involved. Just running dpkg is easy

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I can't for sure tell what version of pangu just came out with cydia rolled in... Is it 1.0.1? That idownloadblog links to that but says it came out over a week ago.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Sunblood posted:

I *just* jailbroke 8.1 with the latest pangu and the application said 1.0.1. Once everything booted back up, there was a blue Pangu app that let me install Cydia. Everything has been peachy since then.

Aha thanks! I'm updating to 8.1 r'now!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

UncleBlazer posted:

Exactly what I came here for, thanks. Did this jailbreak not seem as smooth as the others to anyone else?

Yeah I had a LOT of problems with my iPad, havnt done my phone yet. The bar would keep getting like 2/3 full then weird red moon language errors would pop up. I ended up restoring my phone, then it worked on the like third try. Idunno what was wrong, but got it in the end!

More detail:
The first time I did it, the progress bar flew through super fast and stopped about 90% in. The pangu icon was there so I thought, whatever, but it threw errors trying to install cydia. So I installed ssh with pangu to install cydia manually, but it wouldn't accept a connection from putty or winscp. That's when I tried a few more times with even less success to jailbreak. After I restored it, the progress bar took much longer to move, but kept stopping about 50% I was about to give up so hit the jailbreak button one more time and it went through without a hitch...

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ezrem posted:

Everybody that's jailbroken, check out DetailedBatteryUsage. It's so cool. Going to be very handy for tracking down rogue battery-sucking processes.

Yeah this is pretty badass.

And I was initially disappointed with how slow and sluggish ios8 felt until I installed noslowanimations, holy crap!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Need bitesms and callbar to update before I'd be ready to update my phone... Or right before Apple puts out a new iOS at the very least.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ezrem posted:

Man, CallBar is neat and all and I just paid for it a few weeks ago too but I don't think I'd hold out just for that over all the Yosemite integration, iCloud drive, iTunes Family Sharing, better battery stats now, man, the list just goes on.

Eh the nature of my job makes bitesms and callbar pretty much essential. Among those others, I don't have a Mac, no need for iCloud Drive, no one with an I device for family sharing, but yeah the battery stats are pretty badicle, but certainly nothing I need to jump for. I will update, just when the things I jailbreak for are supported, or Apple gives me no other choice.

I'm super stoked I did on my iPad at least!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

spongeworthy posted:

Pangu 0.3 is now out which fixes the high CPU usage on 32-bit devices

It's probably just in my brain, but this seems noticeably faster, and it doesn't ask for my iCloud password every time I unlock anymore...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Poop... Looks like I'll be upgrading my phone to 8.1 today, and just waiting to jailbreak until the tweaks I need are updated...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Klungar posted:

Is 8.1.1 out yet?

It just got pushed to beta developers, so got a couple days at most until it goes live

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Christoff posted:

Oh thank god. But at this point it's not a matter of if its when

Yeah,and it's confirmed the current jailbreak is no good on 8.1.1

Like, if your iPhone 6 already shipped, or will in the next day or two, it'll prolly have 8.1 for you

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Son of a bitch. I was hoping this JB window would last longer so I could give the developers of my favourite tweaks time to update for iOS 8 before I had to take the plunge. I'm going to hold out and stick with iOS 7. :colbert:

This bit me in the rear end when I made the same decision to stick with iOS 6 until Pangu with iOS 7.1, but I think App Store apps will remain compatible with iOS 7 longer than they did with iOS 6.

You'll probably be fine for a while. I was thinking of doing the same thing but there are a few features that I really wanted on 8, and devs twitters for my must have tweaks say they'll be out within the next week, so I updated to 8 and will wait to jailbreak until then.

A feature I love that didn't even know existed, is now with both devices on ios8 I can forward texting from my iPad through my iPhone seamlessly, so I can text regular phones and not just iMessage!

Edit: oh and the way text notifications and replies works on ios8 is pretty much what bitesms does, so not sure I'll even install that when it gets updated

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

spongeworthy posted:

^^

AppInfo will make that list for you nicely, repositories and all

Yeah deff the best way to go. Emails you a list of your repositories and installed tweaks.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Does jailbreaking have any effect on using ApplePay? I have tried twice at Walgreens and it doesn't seem to work. And yes the store is setup for that service.

It shouldn't cause a problem, no. I thought I heard on the news Walgreens stopped accepting apple pay last week?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Something to be aware of, doubly so if you're jailbroken: http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=4140

tl;dr New OSX malware has components that listen for iphone usb connections, which then gathers some metadata from the phone, and if the phone is jailbroken, it also grabs actual data (imessages etc) by uploading an ios backdoor component that hooks onto the commonly installed mobilesubstrate jailbreak helper.

Frankly I'm kinda surprised that the jailbreaks theme selves have never been found to have malware.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Hamburlgar posted:

Update and Jailbreak went seamlessly and am liking the upgrade. However, I too am finding the battery drain a little odd. DetailedBatteryUsage shows both accountsd and cloudd to be the main culprits on my I5. My ipad3 seems unchanged in UI speed and battery usage.

Really looking forward to Safari Download Manager and Backgrounder to start working again.

As someone said before, those services are iCloud back and restore, so to be expected if you just restored.

Personally I have not had noticeable battery drain, but ios8 just felt really sluggish until I installed NoSlowAnimations.

Can't wait till tsprotector p comes out. The debs Twitter says around the 11th

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Javid posted:

gently caress, tsprotector is a dealbreaker due to game devs making their apps not work on jailbroken devices. Good thing I didn't update last night like I meant to!

Yup. That's my holdout as well. On my phone I updated but will wait to jailbreak.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

ibntumart posted:

I'm not familiar with tsprotector. Are you saying games just won't work on jailbroken devices or just jailbroken devices with tsprotector?

There are some games and apps that straight up won't work on a jail broken device, by design. Like error message 'gently caress off jailbreaker' and closes. Tsprotector hides the fact that you are jail broken from these apps.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

averox posted:

That's sad because I jailbreak for tweaks and not to play questionable games with lovely IAP hooks. Ok not entirely but I don't spend money on those questionable IAPs.

I play the game Ingress a whole lot. It's a location based 'augmented reality' (blech) thing, it was just recently released on iOS a few months ago, and they won't let it run on jailbroken phones for fear or gps spoofing I guess. No iap or freemium junk.

I just want to have a jailbroken phone, and play this one game...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

spongeworthy posted:

Out of curiosity I downloaded Ingress on my phone and it never gave me a warning about a jailbroken device. I didn't sign in to Google as it asks but I'd think a check would be performed on startup before anything.

Nah it gives the error after you log in. Wonder if they log what accounts try and log in on jb devices...

Like the check is probably done at startup but only errors after you log in.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Javid posted:

It lets you log in but you can't do anything in the game.

They actually changed that in like the last update. Now you only get this error and can only quit.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Just noticed a new jailbreak is out. Anything cool lately? Is all the old stuff still compatible with iOS8?

I haven't used a jailbreak in like 2 years, but did enjoy some simple tweaks like Cyntac and the thing that made it look like a TV turning off when you locked it.

Honestly, with each new major version of iOS, there is less and less reason to jailbreak for tweaks. Apple is doing a pretty decent job taking design queues from hackers for core functionality.

Ios8 jailbreak is only like a week old, and most tweaks weren't compatible, but the devs are working hard on updates! Progress was kinda slow for a few days but now dozens of tweak updates are being released each day.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rabite posted:

theres a thing called Xgress that was posted on circlejerk(readits)

Holy crap! Thanks you! That works on my iPad so it looks like I'll be jailbreaking my phone first thing tomorrow! Much appreciated!

And tsprotector p is due out this week sometime, so good to have options!

Klungar posted:

As long as I am upgraded to iOS 8.1, I can go through the jailbreaking process whenever, correct?

Yup! I guess the only danger is having to restore for some reason and iTunes making you upgrade to restore...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Christoff posted:

Nah even then poo poo like the iOS quick reply/messaging still sucks. Not to mention there's 2-3 things that make jailbreak a must to most. Still funny it took them so long to steal all the jb ideas

Thank you f.lux, virtual home, tage/auxo 2, and swipeselection

And hopefully bitesms soon

Yeah after using the quick reply, it works I guess, but not nearly as good as bites me. Like it really annoys me when I am quick responding to a text, then another text comes in and deletes it all.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rabite posted:

I hope you are blue. My Ingress name is the same as my SA user name.

Haha yup blue, royaninja

Any suggestions other than bitesms that actually work? I remember their used to be a few, and while the quick reply in stock 8 is an improvement over how ios used to do it, it simply doesn't stand up comparatively.

F.lux is always the first thing I install, but I'm amazed Apple didn't rip that off in 8

My must haves so far for ios8 are DetailedBatteryUsage and NoSlowAnimations.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yep, as others have said, f.lux is a necessity. I can drudge on without other tweaks, but unless I want to never use my phone within an hour of bed time, I need f.lux. And really, the also aforementioned minimum screen brightness tweak is needed too. The stock minimum screen brightness level is just too drat high for a dark room, even with f.lux.

These two tweaks are also very unlikely to become stock iOS features. I guess they could add them in the accessibility section, but I doubt it will happen.

Why not with flux? They make tvs and monitors with the same feature, it's not exactly super obscure, and seems an easy option to add.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Want to make sure the "rules" are still the same as the last time I did this.. I'm currently running a jailbroken 5S on 7.1.2 and want to upgrade to 8.1 and re-jailbreak.

I *think* what I want to do is the following:
- Backup to iTunes
- "Restore iPhone..." to 8.1
- Jailbreak
- "Restore Backup..."

Is that the long and short of it?

Don't forget to turn off pin codes and find my iPhone before ya hit that jailbreak button

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The alpha of tsprotector 8 came out today, and it works well too! It doesn't have the pop ups or settings yet but it does its job.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Thanks! That was easier than I remember it being. A few apps got a little confused during sync'ing, but things seem to have otherwise gone off without a hitch.

Yup I finally jailbroke my phone today and the new version of pangu is way smoother and easier than the original Chinese one was that I did my iPad with.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Feenix posted:

Even after removing the battery hog Bitcoin Billionaire I'm still finding that lately my phone discharges its battery very quickly. This is a 6+, so it should last well over a day but it's about 20% tonight at 7:30pm. I'm not sure if it's jailbreak related or if it's just that now that there's a detailed battery usage app in my jailbreak that I can see three daemons; backboardd, aggregated and locationd taking up 5% each.

Home and lock screen is 11%, Safari is 15% and AwfulApp is 18% (it's my most-used app for sure.)

Eh idunno, those numbers look pretty similar to mine... Again, I havnt NOTICED worse battery drain since jailbreaking, maybe took a little hit when updated to ios8. Think some testing may be in line!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Tapedump posted:

Is it common for AdBlocker / AdBlocker 2 to straight up prevent an entire web page from being displayed? Take addresses.com for example. It won't load at all in Safari when the ad blocker is enabled.

Other than whitelisting each page that suffers from this problem, am I missing something? This happens on more than two different iOS devices.

Yeah happens to me to. Wonder if it's the website detecting the Adblock and not loading. If come across this on pc before where it gives an error or a warning.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
MY GIRLFRIEND got a iPhone 6+ yesterday and I jailbroke it. Is there anything like five icon dock that works? It bunches all five icons on the right, and doesn't work t all when held sideways and the dock goes to the side. I hate how the dock moves btw...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

BrainDance posted:

Yeah but it's messed up on the 6+ (unless there was an update I didn't see) when you go into landscape mode.

Yeah that's my problem, not just ios8 but iphone 6+ with its weird resolution and landscape mode sideways dock.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is that thing that hides the fact that you're jailbroken (tsprotector?) updated yet? Super Stickman Golf just started doing jailbreak checks and now I can't play my turn based games and I'm FREAKING OUT.

Yeah add the repo posted earlier, been working for me. I just started a new turn based stickman golf and played the first round so it seems that's working.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 13, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Actually, I would be pretty surprised if another jailbreak doesn't come out in the 8.x.x line. Maybe not 8.1.1, or soon, but we probably have a long time until 9 comes out.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I remember agreeing with all the talk in this thread that it would be upwards of six months before 8 was jailbroken. There's usually a public jailbreak as soon as an iOS comes out, then Apple patches a few times, then another jailbreak comes out when it looks like Apple is done with the major version.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just discovered springtomize and I love it. Uninstalled most of my other tweaks, cause this does them better. Fixed my problem with how messed up more than 4 icons on the dock looked on 6+, however lock screen animations kept making my screen go black and not come back with less than a respring. Like as if I had no backlight and couldn't see anything at all.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

89 posted:

iOS 8.1.1
Pangu Jailbreak
iPhone 5 (AT&T)

I did the jailbreak. Problem is, I can't download anything in Cydia. I'm getting error code 2 (dpkg returned an error code (2)). I can't connect to the phone via FTP because I can't download OpenSSH. I haven't backed my phone up, so what can I do without reformatting the phone?

Same thing happened to me on my iPad. Turns out the jailbreak didn't work all the way, and while cydia was there it didn't actually have rights.

Try jailbreaking again after a reboot, making sure airplane mode and stuff. I had to restore then jailbreak to get it right I think...

If the phone still works right just not cydia, you could make a backup now right?

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

McDragon posted:

Sorry for the really basic question, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and I want to jailbreak my iphone 4s. Now seems as good a time as any. I just follow this guide I guess? http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/11/29/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-1-1-on-windows/

What ios are you on? If 8.1 do that with pangu cause it works way better. If 8.1.1 then yeah follow that article, it's not too hard.

• Locked thread