Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr. Fix It posted:

FolderEnhancer. It rules.

I prefer More Icon Folder. FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly increase folder opening time (even with icon caching) and, while supporting Iconoclasm, limits me with how I can adjust my icon layout. MIF let's me bunch my Apps 8-across which I like in portrait-mode. My ultimate goal is a solution wherein label-less icons are tiled to fill a scrollable area above the (transparent and label-less) dock area (I have a lot of Apps!), with negligible separation between icons and icon rows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think you meant "FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly decrease folder opening time", and in my experience it opens folders a lot faster. This is on my iPhone and anecdotal evidence, though, so ymmv.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which iPhone are you using? I have a 3GS and FolderEnhancer helps it somewhat. The difference it makes on my iPad 1 is closer to negligible. I hope the iPhone 5/iPad 3 and subsequent JBs will alleviate the slowness.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Losing Activator is a no-go for me. Unless the iPhone 4S/5 loses all the physical buttons but the "Home" one, I'm holding out.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Richman777 posted:

Also, it is almost a 100% guarantee that there will NOT be an iPad 2 jailbreak released BEFORE iOS5 comes out. Now that they have a general release date for iOS5, why would they waste a userland kernel exploit when they could possibly wait.

This is pure speculation but that's pretty much on-par with what they've done in the past. The only time they don't wait is when there's a minor/point release of iOS coming up with no real date. iOS 5 is pretty major and I don't think they'd want to waste a userland exploit when it could mean that there would be an untether available for ALL devices on basically the release day of iOS 5.
I agree with you here in principle, but I don't think Apple, on balance, is necessarily anti-jailbreak. They get new feature ideas from it and create more demand for the hardware. They know that we are unlikely ever to find ourselves at a point where app piracy will affect revenue streams in the aggregate, and JBing will remain a "geek thing" to do. They have an obligation to appear to be anti-jailbreak, but I don't imagine that they would go out of their way to stop something that does more good for them than bad.

It's like Adobe with Photoshop. Sure, they'd love for everyone to buy legit licenses, but faced with the choice of hordes of amateurs potentially spending years of self-training with the software before working for legitimate concerns versus no longer being the industry standard via pure inertia, the smart move is to say you are anti-piracy, cover your rear end with the shareholders, and make token, theatrical gestures to stop illicit software use.

The Apple situation is different for several reasons, but it is like Adobe in that, when taken as a whole, feigning indignation and not putting an active effort into securing their platform (at the hobbyist-level) is more of a benefit than it is a liability.

quote:

Plus...my first gen iPad is jailbroken...you're not missing much.
I couldn't disagree more.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Diafthora posted:

Anyone else having an issue probably with FolderEnhancer where you can't open certain folders?

When you try to open the folder, does the icon slightly animate? This sometimes happens when I'm rearranging icons, and what has always worked for me is double-tapping the folder.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Tapedump posted:

I'm going to the AT&T store tomorrow in the NW U.S. to contract for two iPhone 4s.

Is it likely I will be forced to get them already running 4.3.5, does it depend on stock/availability, and/or has anyone ever gotten them to try and find a 4.3.3 in the store?
In a Hawai`i Apple Store on Saturday I got a 4.3.3 (8J2) white iPhone4 32GB, if that means anything at all.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

withak posted:

The more free RAM you have the faster your phone runs.

Is there something special about phone RAM that makes it as slow or slower than pulling data out of storage? No point in having the RAM if you aren't going to use it.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

AlphaDog posted:

Now, apart from sbSettings (which is pretty nice), I really can't figure out what to do with the jailbroken phone.
Granted my experience is likely a highly limited use-case, but Activator is a godsend for me. I'm active-duty Army, and we're not allowed to walk around/work wearing headphones, not even in a single-ear (and for good reason).

Activator let's me put my device in my chest or shoulder pocket and listen to podcasts, Howard Stern, what-have-you via built in speaker. If a supervisor pops up at the worksite or I pass too close to a likely hard-rear end walking around post I can kill the audio with a quick pinch through the uniform (I personally set 'press both volume buttons' to trigger 'toggle play/pause' from any app on the device).

This is actually better than headphones for me (for vocal stuff, not so much music) because I'm not oblivious to what's going on around me and mutually-interested parties can enjoy the content (please don't call the FBI on me for public-performance violations).

Jailbreaking--specifically Activator--makes this possible, and is the reason I don't upgrade to new iOS versions before they are JBed.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Javid posted:

E: I found an activator action in Cydia that lets you do sort of this, but the only options it adds are "up by $amount" and "down by $amount", so I can get it to min/max pretty easily, but there's no easy way to get it back to my default setting (about 30%) - which I forgot to include in the pre-edit post. Derp.
Maybe shoot the Activator people a line about assigning more than one sequential action per trigger? Or are we starting to get into potential iAutomator territory here (which would be awesome, if I knew how to use the drat thing :unsmith:)?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Also, have anyone tried out the Lion Ultimate theme yet?

I'm trying to try it, to no avail.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

To each their own but why would anyone seriously want to put that on their phone?

Why not?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I did not intend to imply that this might be a full-time thing, but more like a "Why climb Mt. Everest" sort of thing. It appeals to people suffering from that First-World Problem called boredom.

I have a second phone lying around so I thought it might be worth checking out. Given the likelihood of having an experience like those such keykey, I probably won't bother. But it seems like a neat idea, if not a practical one, and might be worthy of poking around with it for an hour or two. If it even worked, that is.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

What's everybody using for a lockscreen these days?.

NoLockScreen :colbert:

VvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvV
That's why I do it.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 29, 2011

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

m0isty posted:

Just a little heads up: FolderEnhancer works fine on ios5. That is until you do something that triggers safe mode in mobilesubstrate, then it shits out all your icons from your folders like a grenade has gone off! :(

The icon spew persists after reboot? It did that before but in this case reboot (or tethered just boot) doesn't fix things?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Javid posted:

I just tried this, but everything just jumped forward a page when I finished. :psyduck:
Have you tried re-arranging your icons in iTunes? [Click on your device in the sidebar, then the header "Apps".]

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

The Aphasian posted:

^^^That's like a wrist phone that doesn't make calls, right? Like a musicless ipod touch?
Oh, you didn't know?

quote:

Mostly, once I had the idea I really think it would be cool, especially for in the cinema/theater/weddings/funerals.
That would be pretty sweet. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 28, 2011

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Binary Badger posted:

Then it went into the usual 5.0 intro, disabled location services,

I've gotta ask as I'm not too hip, but why disable location services? Is it a Touch thing, battery issue, or just a good idea? I always turn on LS, but I've limited experience with JB devices so I'm curious as to your reasons.

Mercedes posted:

Man, I wanna be part of the hype! I still haven't gotten this stupid phone to go into DFU mode yet!!! :argh:

Sorry, that can be a capital B. I believe Javid added a couple pages ago to make sure you're taking off the case if you have one on the phone. You didn't comment, but I assume you didn't have a case on seeing as how you are switching SIM cards and all.

I've got a 3GS but no necessary equipment to get down on the JB at present, so I can feel your pain. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get it, or maybe ask someone else to try, at least you'll get a break from the unintuitive gadget fatigue. If they get it then the relief of moving on will be welcomed or if they don't then you'll get some shared catharsis.

Edit:vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Ah, that makes sense. Is competent Wi-Fi AP location reporting even a twinkle in someone's eye? Are we going to just put GPSs in every non-infrastructural access point and consumer router at some time in the future? In the meantime why bother pretending?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 28, 2011

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

dexter6 posted:

I hope they don't blow it on iOS6 when iPhone 5Gs and iOS7 are right around the corner.

Replacing "Not Charging" with "Not Charging (xx%)" is my killer-app.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

89 posted:

I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for forever. But, I have the 4s, so it isn't jailbroken.

Buuut, I just got an iPad 1, so this new jailbreak is tempting. But, I'm wondering, is it really worth it? The iPad 1 isn't quite as snappy as an iPhone 4s or iPad 2, so I'm really worried about performance issues because it already isn't super fast. And thinking about it, I'm thinking the only two jailbroken apps I would make use of is LockInfo and the app that makes iPhone only apps look a little better on the iPad.

Somebody talk me into it.

It's free and easy, and a JBed iPad isn't gonna be any faster, but I havent noticed a speed hit. Get the right Cydia apps (RetinaPad, as you mentioned, Activator and SBSettings are some of my must haves) and it really is like a new machine.

Do yourself a favor; do it.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

adm posted:

e: http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ for those interested

Thanks for this. Pretty zany. I hope they add per-situation dynamic switching.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I heard that pre-4S Siri has been disabled. Is that server-side, or can Jailbreak get around that?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

How is FakeClockUp so good? It's magical. I'm sure I'm just being fooled, but it seems like it makes everything work faster, not just animation elements.

It appears as if many items need to wait for animations to finish before loading. Nothing else explains the extreme (apparent) speed increase. It's lovely.

Maybe I'm not the typical target iOS user, but I want raw speed and ended up going x10 on my 3GS.

FakeClockUp is the shiznit.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 1, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Xenomorph posted:

If you're having performance issues due to low memory, just run something like KillBackground to to clear out all background apps at once. I really like it on my 3GS.

You shouldn't have to reboot.

Seconding this. So much easier than using SBSettings.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Once again I'd like to big-up my favorite and most-used JB app, NoLockScreen.

On my iPhone 3GS I use Infinidock & FolderEnhancer to keep my icons out of the way and my home-screen becomes my info screen via LockInfo. It all comes together to strip and leave one less layer of UI.

Two questions:

1) Is there a JB or non-JB way to use a controller with an iPad (1 or 2), either via Bluetooth (PS Dual Shock 3) or USB (via camera kit)?

2) I love using Overboard as my home-screen on my iPad 2, but as far as I can tell it isn't possible to launch apps directly from the zoomed out view. Instead you are actually tapping an "invisible" folder, and from there you have to tap the app again to launch.

Is there any way I can get the "zoomed-out" mini-icon home-screen but still be able to launch apps with one tap?

Thanks.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Damo posted:

Other than that I can't see a way it can hurt your battery life.
To get pedantic, I have my 3GS set at x10.0 [I really don't give a poo poo about iOS' "pretty animations"] and certain animations are crazy fast, for example the spinning "loading" graphic that will show up at the top of the screen from time to time. I am of the belief that a property of the display is that changing a pixel takes more power than a pixel that doesn't change on refresh. Therefore, that sort of rapid animation changes pixels way more often than the stock rate of x1.0.

The effect on battery life might be negligible, but I think intrinsic to the process. Of course this could be tested and obviated by including a x0.0 setting, eliminating animations altogether. In theory this should also increase battery life.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Hey I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I just remember reading something to the effect that one difference between LCD and CRT screens is that CRTs have to refresh every pixel on every redraw, and LCDs don't have to switch a pixel that doesn't need to be changed. It's probably an oversimplification or just faulty memory on my part. Just trying to contribute to the conversation is all.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

mewse posted:

Making poo poo up doesn't make your argument sound
What aspect of that quote strikes you as made up and/or incorrect?

frumpsnake posted:

The argument that drawing the animation "faster" can *significantly* decrease battery life

Whoa slow down there. Even a cursory read of what I actually wrote would tell you that I specifically used the word "negligible" and prefaced the statement as an exercise in pedantry. If it is as you say that there is a "cost" in changing pixels then I have been vindicated, as technically there is no way that speeding up those animations isn't detrimental to power usage, even if battery life only drops a single unit of Planck time.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 28, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is it hypothetically illegal to intentionally dial 112 only to hang up like it is with 911? Not that you could really pin it on the end-user, but selling a product that requires calling and disconnecting from emergency services sounds legally dangerous for the company, I'd assume.

--

From how I understand it "push" just means the the mail service actively sends your device the notice that a new message arrived along with the data. This necessitates your device being constantly on the lookout for these notices, and vigilance costs battery life (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the process and talking out my rear end).

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

If that were true then you phone constantly being "on the lookout" for new text messages would kill the battery.

:doh: That makes sense. How do they work around it so that you get texts and pushes immediately without constant vigilance eating processing cycles?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I assumed Push would eat more battery since you are getting stuff as it comes in. If auto-Fetch drains more and you don't get emails et al as soon, what's the advantage?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

frumpsnake posted:

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

I asked this at the end of the last page, so sorry for repeating but I'm curious: Is it hypothetically illegal to intentionally dial 112 only to hang up like it is with 911? Not that you could really pin it on the end-user, but selling a product that requires calling and disconnecting from emergency services sounds legally dangerous for the company, I'd assume.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

~Coxy posted:

Nah I kept mine on 3.1.2 because as you said the speed loss from upgrading is worrying.

My 3GS is on 5.0.1 and it's as fast as ever (even "faster" with fakeclockup).

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I'm an ignorant fool who doesn't understand the mechanics of jailbreaking at all, but is there something preventing taking a full 1s and 0s extraction of a JBed device and transferring that to another unJBed device of the same firmware which is past its window for approval to bypass the whole mess of the JB process? Does JBing involve modifying firmware or storage in some way that can't be circumvented by a straight transfer of data? Some kind of device signature involved which mucks it all up?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Is there an app like Overboard that lets you actually launch your apps from the zoomed-out/tiny-icon home screen?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Blimpkin posted:

Is there a way to sync a PS3 controller?

Even if there was I can't imagine anything would work with one due to the lack of an appropriate API in currently existing software. I suppose JB programs like emulators could incorporate something like this, and I hope someone gets around to making it work, but at present I doubt you could meaningfully control anything with one at the moment. Maybe button taps, but the d-pad and sticks would probably be unmappable to any sort of directional inputs.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'd love to see a pic of your window setup because I feel shafted on one hand for paying cash for it, but at the same time this is a crazy addition to the iPad so kudos to the creator and funding ideas like that are never a bad idea in my book. While I think Apple's way is good enough, splitting it somewhat like how Metro does it on Windows 8 would be kinda cool for certain tasks.

Unfortunately with its 4:3 screen perfect splitting doesn't work on an iPad. A perfect split would require a screen with dimensions fitting a ratio of 2^(1/2):1 (not taking into account the status bar). It would be pretty sweet if future designs took this into account. A tablet with perfect splitting would be cool as hell.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Lum_ posted:

It'd be cool if there was a decent lock screen app though.

NoLockscreen :colbert:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Aatrek posted:

I may be upgrading to a new iPad soon - what're the prospects of an 6.1.3 jailbreak at this point? Any chance there's a way of downgrading to 6.1.2?

Negligible and no, but you could get lucky and get a device which isn't on 6.1.3 yet.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

It's basically the only major tweak not already implemented by apple? I mean every other thing is basically spergy android poo poo at this point?

NoLockscreen :colbert:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

bobfather posted:

Multitasking in iOS 7 is radically different than iOS 4-6, from the look and feel, to the way that apps are closed, down to the behavior of opening onto the last app you had open. When I first installed iOS 7 I had to search the internet to find out how to force close an app, since pressing and holding the icon no longer let me do it. They could have changed the gesture to open the multitasking tray easily, given that they changed literally everything else but that.

I liked using Zephyr to initiate app switching the same way Control Center works now. I wish they would just either combine CC with the app switcher via swipe-up from bottom behavior or combine CC with Notification Center via swipe-down from top behavior (especially since I never use NC itself now that NCSettings has been obviated by the introduction of CC), but I can't see them making that big of a change so quickly after releasing iOS 7. Maybe in 8? I really just prefer not ever having to press the home button if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
NoLockscreen still doesn't work. Is there anything out there that does the same thing and works?

• Locked thread