Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just a heads up I, if you just bought a X2 or have a Droid X this is a great deal
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/24/droidx-and-droidx2-essentials-bundle-only-19-97-at-verizon-steal-of-the-century/

I just bought one so the deal still works

quote:

Droid X/X2 Essentials Pack
Your Price $49.97
(0% off)
Promotion Credit -$30.00

Final Price $19.97
A $145 value!
Take advantage of our Motorola Droid X2 Launch Week offer! For 1 Week Only - Purchase this bundle at a BIG Savings!

Regular Retail Price for all pieces in this bundle bought separately is $145.
When bought as a bundle, the savings are BIG!
All the essentials to enhance your Droid X2 experience in one box. Get a HDMI cable, multimedia station, navigation/music vehicle mount, vehicle power adapter and a wall charger! A $145 value. Makes a great gift!
•HDMI cable Multimedia Station with HDMI technology (includes wall charger)
•Navigation/Music Vehicle Mount
•Vehicle Power Adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JayKay posted:

coming up as $72 here

Make sure you aren't logged into your account. I just did it again and it worked.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessories

From the Shop by device box to the right of 25% off banner choose the DroidX2.
Save up to 50% on Bundles Only Available Online shows up on the next page and it should list at $19.97, just add it to your cart from there

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Txiuct posted:

Will a rooted droid x be able to get an ota gingerbread update from verizon?

No, I am now rocking stock froyo in preparation for the ota update, I had upgraded to the leaked Gingerbread release, forgot how much stock sucked

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bahama.Llama posted:

:clint:

Yeah, that sounds about right. After I order my kit, I quickly emailed my parents with instructions on how to get the deal. My dad gave it a try and by 2:00pm EST, the price went up to $49.97. He gave them a ring and the CSR on the phone said "Well... that item is $49.97". Sounds like the deal is indeed dead.

Now I wonder if they will honor all of those $20 packages. When I go to check the status of my order here, I get a "Page Not Found" error :ohdear:.

Yea the deal is off now. I received my shipping notice with the tracking number a few hours ago. You should be fine dude

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Are phones coming in higher than $199 with a 2 year contract these days? I imagine the Droid 3 will be around that price. Anyone else feeling that all of the latest phone offerings and the upcoming ones are just so boring? It's like the same poo poo but with better specs, it's getting harder to tell them apart. Not really any innovation. I guess my 3rd Droid X has made me bitter. Love random reboots :/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

jfreder posted:

Heard some rumblings on twitter (@p3droid) that Verizon is switching to tiered data on July 7. I have an upgrade but none of the 4g phones seem that enticing right now especially since getting cm7 on my X. Really hoping these rumors don't pan out as I can't see the Bionic being out by then.

I thought we would only lose unlimited data if we had to change our actual calling plans. Upgrading your phpne and extending your contract would allow you to keep the unlimited data even after they announced the tiered data plans wouldn't it?

Unless they decide that you can only buy an iPhone 5 or a Droid Bionic without selecting the new plans. For example they did that before when you could no longer choose the pay per MB data plan. I think the XV6700 was the last phone to have that option. Hopefully a Verizon store rep can clear this up.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

SpacedOut posted:

Changing your rateplan generally wouldn't be related to your data plan. You should be able to switch to rateplan at any time without penalty.

Once you have unlimited data, you will keep it, unless:
A) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans with devices launched after the new plans take effect. This is similar to your XV6700 example.
B) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans for any smartphone activated after X date. This is similar to when they created the 3G Multimedia Phone category of devices (which they later reneged on).
C) You, after the speculated tiered data plans launch, voluntarily switch to one of said plans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).
D) There is a possibility that the speculated tiered data plans may be somehow built directly into some sort of new rateplan offering (e.g. family data plans). This was mentioned as a distinct possibility by Verizon's CFO. If you switch to one of these new rateplans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).

I am gonna quote this because I knew people would start with the freak out once tiered data was announced. If you look at the droid life article they updated and said it looks like existing customers are fine and still can upgrade devices and not lose unlimited data. I don't think it's time to curse Verizon and plan on murdering their babies just yet.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

There has been a whole lot of retard alarmist poo poo in the thread by you dude. Why didn't you think it would work like it does on AT&T where existing customers are grandfathered in with their unlimited data?

If you guys read the poo poo by the OP he usually answers any concerns we have and the answers tend to be accurate

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

sadus posted:

I'm switching carriers even if I do get grandfathered into unlimited data, that could be taken away at any point and regardless it would be like condoning rape to stick around and support such a sleazy company. Reminds me of when my home town got its first draconian cable modem provider and you could go over your monthly quota in just a few hours.

If all the other carriers follow suit I can only hope Google turns into a non-rapey cell phone provider in addition to rolling out their Gigabit internet access, or some other rich-but-not-greedy company steps up to the plate to provide a fairly priced service.

So you are going to Sprint then? Because AT&T already does this and they bought Tmobile. Have fun with lovely coverage.

Anyone try the Mifi 4510L yet? I was hoping to replace the 3g ones we use for work and holy poo poo does the 4g one suck. I couldn't get it to work on an XP laptop and then if for some reason it switched from 4g to 3g it couldn't handle the handoff and the laptops would disconnect. My dumbass didn't test it and gave it to an employee to use in the field right away. I imagine the Samsung one isn't any better :(

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just keep an eye out on places like Howard Forums and learn about any trial plans they offer, I was able to get unlimited minutes for any cell(any provider) calling for cheaper than my 3000 minute plan which saved a total of $100 a month on the bill. The promotion was expired by a month too and they still gave it to me. You just have to be polite as hell and not insist on anything

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

negativeneil posted:

So I'm on an unlimited data plan which is great and virtually guarantees I'll stay a Verizon customer for the foreseeable future. Question though: let's say I get a 4G phone, my unlimited plan carries over.

Now say I buy one of those wonderful 4G Galaxy Tabs. Do I get unlimited data on that too, because it's attached to my account?

Apologies if this has been addressed.

They haven't had unlimited data on tablets/data cards for awhile now. They had tiered pricing before mobile phones went that route

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Commoners posted:

So I'm out here on Coronado island in San Diego and I'm thinking of picking up the 10GB 4g plan, because they have us here on Sprint DSL that is pretty much the worst internet connection I've had since I was under the age of ten.

Looking at the hardware reviews seem to put the LTE in a bad light saying that it has massive issues with disconnecting and shutting itself off, and the good reviews generally come from people who live out in the sticks and have pretty much no alternatives.

I plan on pretty much staying in one spot, but would that hotspot generator be a better choice? Its negative reviews seem to just complain about a short battery life and a touchy on/off button, but those are kind of moot points when I'm not going to be trying to access the internet away from a place where I can plug in my laptop and 4g device.

I had the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi™ 4510L and had to return it. It was really lovely, constant disconnects and I couldn't get it to work on every laptop I needed to work on. The hand off from 4g to 3g would cause it to stop working as well. Right now I am back to using the older 3g mifi. This was in Houston and not in the middle of nowhere

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Valid option too. I havent seen either the Pre or Pixi on deal like that recently but I'm sure it works. On the other hand, you can do it for any working Verizon phone so you don't have to go the Palm or even smartphone route. You don't start the contract until you take the subsidy for equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-Verizon-Contract/dp/B004IPAC10
I googled this earlier today and might buy one to hold me over till I decide on what to get next, my Droid X makes me :( and the newest update made me :( harder.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I used the cradlepoint routers back in the day. Before the mifi existed. Something like this would work it seems http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-4g3g-router-mbr95

Not sure how that works with TimeCapsule but you don't have to install any software on your computer to get that to work with the broadband card. It just works

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It probably won't go up till tomorrow. Some people have reported success in ordering through telesales right now though.

I'm going to swing by costco at lunch and see if I can get any info out of them (number of devices, if the bundle is legit, if they will reserve me one, or even if they'll jump street.)

There is no reason that bundle shouldn't be legit. They run those promos all the time at Costco. My buddy was until this past summer a manager of the cellphone department at a Costco in Texas. He would always tell me about the accessory bundles they thrown in and yes he would mention the 90 day exchange thing that was discussed in this thread

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I didn't get in on the new every two, I've only been with Verizon for just over a year.

There is a corporate discount as well

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I caved and walked into a corp store and bought one. The bitching about the screen is stupid. It looks pretty amazing to me. However I did get my first reboot, happened while on a call but I imagine it's because I was installing poo poo from the janky amazon market.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I bought this earlier and it's still available. Got the link from droidlife
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12743&accessoryId=47724

Extended battery with cover from Verizon for Droid Bionic. Free 2 day shipping as well. Regular Price is $49.99 but when you add to your cart it's $24.99. Make sure you aren't logged in to your account.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Awesome, thanks for this.

One problem I'm having with my Bionic is my 3G seems to just stop working after a while and I have to reboot my phone to get it working again. I'm not in a 4G area so I have that turned off. Any ideas what it might be?

No idea but I would like to know. My X did that and my new Bionic is doing it as well. Drops 4g and 3g completely. I am not even moving around.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am dreading going into the store to explain this. I am getting signal drops roughly 5 times a day now. I have to reboot the phone to get working again

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I am not happy with my Thunderbolt at this point and I'm thinking of selling it and switching to an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

It sounds like the next iPhone supporting LTE is really kind of a Hail Mary play at this point, and that's fair. But will that jeopardize my unlimited data in any way to switch down to a 3G phone (and will it kill any chance for upgrading back to LTE later and keeping unlimited)?

I went and returned my 2nd Bionic. The replacement unit had the same radio issues and I was experiencing random reboots which was probably more of an issue with the Android OS. I went from 4g to 3g and I still have unlimited data.

I am probably done with Android phones for now. Probably make the jump to the next iPhone. Although from the rumor sites it look as though it will be more of an iPhone 4s upgrade and there might not be a 5 coming out this year. Who knows.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CowGuy posted:

I bought an iPhone 4 today, and see that the iphone 5 preorders start the 30th. I know I have 2 weeks that I can exchange and pay the restocking fee, but am I screwed for trying to get an iphone 5 now? I don't think I can exchange for a preorder. Not sure if I should just exchange for an android phone instead.

Buy this and return the iphone http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-Verizon-Contract/dp/B004IPAC10

Yoshifan823 posted:

Does anyone here have a 4G USB modem? I got one the other day, and while the internet connection is amazing (so fast, I started at 5GB but I know I'm gonna have to bump up to 10GB because I'm using too much), the device itself (or maybe it's the software) is crap. I have to plug it in, connect to the network, disconnect, and then reconnect to use the internet, and it will occasionally freeze up, which means I have to physically disconnect the modem from my laptop and start the process all over again. I'm probably gonna switch to a different model, see if that makes a difference, but is this a normal problem?

I had the 4g mifi and it did the same poo poo. I think it's more on an issue with the 4g networks because the 3g usb and the 3g mifi I have work great all the time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am lazy and haven't returned my extended battery for the Bionic. If anyone wants it I will sell it for $25.00 shipped. I got it for $25 when it was on sale and it retails for $49.00. Figured I would give a fellow SAer a deal if they wanted it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did Costco start carrying the iPhone? They didn't sell it before

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I wasn't. Just saying more in general terms - what's the odds of me being able to show up first thing on $RELEASE_DAY and walk out with a D4?

100%, you will be fine

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My 3g mifi finally kicked the bucket, the battery died. Finally time to upgrade. Is this the best one?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot/jetpack-hotspot-mifi-4620le

Not many options it seems. I had the first 4g device released and returned after 1 day since it was so awful. It couldn't handle switching from 3g to 4g and viceversa. Is that fixed on these devices?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

kstatix posted:

3g/4g hand offs are no longer a major issue for Verizons newer mobile broadband devices.

The 4620le is solid and has the best battery life, 10 hours. I've sold hundreds of the 4620L which is essentially the same device with a lesser battery life.

You were spot on. This thing is solid. Way better than the first 4g mifi I used awhile back. Verizon however can go gently caress themselves with the $30 activation fee and mail in rebate for store purchases. If this wasn't a paid business line those policies would make me switch carriers

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

To who?
Sprint 36 activation + MIR
AT&T same
T-Mobile? Hope you have awesome coverage.

Major wireless is the same. Everyone charges activation and has mail in rebates.

To Cricket. I am serious. I would get a burner in a heartbeat. I only have a smart phone and a hot spot because work requires it. I don't need to be tweeting or facebooking when I am dropping a duece in the wilderness so network coverage be damned

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Im a dumb gently caress and instead of transferring an upgrade to my line(2 gb data) I ordered the sg4 for my dad on his unlimited line. He uses a lot of data so I need to activate the sg4 on my line so he keeps the unlimited data and then switch the phone back to him. Can I do this from home? Should I call support first(I think the order number will be tied to his phone number) or will this have to be handled in a corporate store? Oh and I have an iphone 5 so not sure if that matters sim wise

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Don't buy a Droid4 for $99. I can't believe they are still that price anyway. I wouldn't even take it for free.

Sounds like the $110 would include share data so she could use the hotspot feature on the smartphone. However it would suck to have your laptop connected to your phone all the drat time. It's gonna drain the battery on the cell phone quickly and if she takes a call it will kill the connection to the laptop.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If she is 66 then she is probably just using it for facebook and email since she was using a verizon hotspot before. You need to find out what her current data limit is on her account and just match that. You can log on to the website and find this info. You can also find the data usage so maybe she is only using 1 gig of her 3 gig allotment.

Here is the link for that Droid Razr Maxx for $70.00 Just click individual plan to see the price
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-RAZR-MAXX-HD-Wireless/dp/B009P5WWPC/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1369344766&sr=1-3

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Dr. Fastus y'all are going to a corporate store right and not an Authorized reseller right? There are probably some decent resellers but I think I would prefer the corporate stores.

So for the Verizon workers any ideas if Verizon has a email, phone number etc that I can report/ask about a dead zone area. I live in a burb of Houston(Sugar Land, Population of about 80k) and there is a weird stretch of highway of around 2 miles that doesn't get any data service or it's extremely goddamn slow. It's just annoying but now a client wants to do more meetings at a hotel in that area. The data card I have is through Verizon and the client uses Verizon as well. Well we had a meeting at the hotel in question and no one had any data access for the entire time. They aren't moving the meeting anywhere else so I told them they are just gonna have to pay the high hotel meeting internet rates. I thought I might try and contact Verizon to see why this happens. I know this is fruitless but who knows. And yes it's not just inside the hotel it's literally all along the road and any bank, restaurant or whatever in that area won't have access to Verizon data.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pilkington posted:

Is the deadzone on Highway 6 as your approach the overpass at 90? I always get weird signal issues over there. Sometimes my music will stop playing if I'm streaming and driving through.

Yes sir. It's exactly on that stretch of Hwy 6 from hwy 90 to 59. Data will just stop working completely

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Is there any information about the "nexus experience" or "developer edition" S4s coming to Verizon? I've read about this on a few sites and it seems like it could be a nice option for someone who may be looking to upgrade their GNex in the near future (me). Everything I've seen about the S4 looks pretty nice and if it were a nexus phone for all intents and purposes, and it had LTE support, I'd be sold. Seems the "developer edition" isn't stock android but would be closer to a nexus than the standard S4.

It just looks like the bootloader is unlocked. It's not gonna be like that Nexus s4 for AT&T and Tmobile that is coming next month sadly

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is the insurance deductible $200 for a 32 gb iphone 5? I just dropped the phone and shattered the screen. If it's really that much I guess its better just to use an upgrade and get an sg4 since I use google services for everything.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

lampey posted:

I'm eligible for an upgrade and not attached to my phone number. To upgrade in store to the galaxy s4 its $250+ tax+ activation -$50 rebate and I get it the same day. For a new account amazon is $120+activation, 2 day wait for mail. Is there anything preventing me from cancelling my account and getting a new phone online to save ~ $100?

If you want the phone the same day Best Buy price matches Amazon now

Endless Mike posted:

What is your current plan? Will you be moving from a legacy plan to a Share Everything plan? If so, I have a hard time believing you won't be spending at least $10 more per month. Also, is your contract up? If not, you'll have to pay an ETF. Upgrades typically come before 24 months.

I am pretty sure upgrades are 24 months now

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sounds you like you should just get a burner from Walmart

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Cant use a prepaid phone on postpaid Verizon until its been activated for 6m.

I suck at reading and missed that he already had a 2nd line with Verizon. I thought he meant just getting a 2nd line just for the purpose of emergencies

My employees have Samsung Aliases which have been going strong for a few years. Searching google it looks like you can find one used for $25.00 or so

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jik Waffleson posted:

Anyone have experience with the Verizon phone trade in program? I had my iPhone 4S 64MB appraised on the site, and they offered $220 (which beats Apple's offer of $185, and most of the other sites that I've seen as well). I don't want to deal with meeting people in person from craigslist (with the possible rip off risk), so that price seems decent.

Is it possible to take the phone to the store instead of mailing it to them?

A friend did it through the corporate store for his 4. They gave him $100 for an 8 gig one. I'm guessing you can do the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's come up a few times before but yeah don't waste your subsidiary pricing on an old phone. It's a hassle but you should probably just buy an iPhone and sell it to someone for a discounted price. Use the money you made off that and buy a used S3. If money is tight you can justify this since you can potentially make $100 off the process. Of course if I had to pay for my cell and it wasn't provided through work I would say gently caress that to Verizon prices and have a lovely plan through someone like Cricket.

• Locked thread