Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, my mom is on my account and needs a new phone, but isn't eligible for an upgrade yet. I have one that I've been sitting on for about 6mo, because I don't want to lose my unlimited data. On the VZW site, it gives me the option to transfer the upgrade to her line. By doing that, will it renew my contract, thus losing me my unlimited? I'm assuming it will, which makes the whole plan a no go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well , I chat with web support for a few minutes and the best answer they could give me was, "maybe". But, the service rep called a few minutes ago and said she got a final answer from her supervisor and I'd be safe to transfer it. So, hooray!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't mind if my contract gets extended, because I'll almost definitely never leave VZW (ugh), I just don't want to lose unlimited. From what the CSR said, and some reading on Android Central, I think I'll be ok, but I was hoping someone here knew. For some reason, I trust you strangers on the internet more than other strangers on the internet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

cuedotcom posted:

The jig is up!

Haha, wow. I've gotten a state discount for about 3 years now, despite only barely being a state employee at the time I signed up. However, in a cruel twist of fate, I just got a new job a couple months back...working for the state.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kensei posted:

Details? I would lose my unlimited for tiered data in a heartbeat if I got 50% off our 4 lines...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my employee discount only applies to my line, not the other three.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Human Cow posted:

Can I do this if both phones are smartphones? My wife is on a Share Everything plan and I'm still unlimited, but I've got an upgrade that I can transfer to her. If I transfer the upgrade and then use it with her line, will I keep my unlimited?

That's how I understand it works. There's a ~40 page thread on Android Central where people discuss doing this successfully (with the latest confirming stories being as recent as this week)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, are you saying I couldn't transfer the upgrade to my gf's tiered data plan, activate it on her line, then reactivate her phone and activate the new one on mine?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Awesome. I really wonder how much longer we have to Verizon just flat out says, "gently caress you" to us holdouts and yanks unlimited altogether.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My last job had wifi, so, between that and my home wifi, I never used much data at all. My new job does not AND I spend the whole day listening to music/podcasts. I usually download the podcasts the night before when I'm at home, but the music is all streaming, so I tend to finish the month around the 10 gig mark.

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 25, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

I probably would not get a phone from a place that has a restrictive secondary contract like Amazon's, where you can't move your phone between lines for the first 180 days, I believe.

I'm not sure this is true. I added a line for my mom to my account last year, got a Gnex, then immediately reactivated her old phone, and activated the Gnex on mine. I never saw a bill or even a scolding email for it.

Regarding the "transfer upgrade to keep unlimited" loophole, can this be done at Best Buy? I'm holding out just a little longer for the Note 3 and their prices are almost always better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I added a line via Amazon, activated the new phone on the new line, activated an existing (dumb) phone on the new line, then activated the new phone on my personal line and never had any issue. My understanding was that the line has to stay active. The device moved, but the line never got interrupted.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm planning to do the "transfer upgrade" loophole in a couple months. Does the new device have to be ordered through VZW or can you get it through Best Buy or Amazon, seeing as their prices are typically better?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As long as they don't close the transfer upgrade loophole, I don't care.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

They closed the loophole early on Sunday.

Yeah, I noticed the "glitch" or whatever was fixed, but I'm talking about the ability to transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line to one of my others, use it, then move the phone without losing unlimited.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

The clueless people at our local walmart told me that using them to upgrade any of the lines would cause the unlimited to go away.
The people at the local verizon store (not corporate) said that moving the upgrade from my unlimited line to another would kill the unlimited.

Well, I know you could do it safely up until very recently. I'm just worried this recent glitch will lead them to tightening up and closing any loopholes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

The only concern is that it adds an additional ETF if you deactivate the device in before some time frame. 90 or 180 days, I think? Other than that, no big deal.

Not the device, the line.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

You can't downgrade service though I don't think.

Also not true. I know, because I added a line for a family member and ordered a GNex. When it came it, I activated it, then had her go in and reactivate her dumb phone and cancel the data on her line. Then I activated the GNex on my line. Had no issues.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kensei posted:

It's $69 right now if you add a line. So so so tempting, anyone confirm if you will get hit with the secondary termination fee if you swap it to a dumbphone?

I did exactly this about a year and a half ago and it worked perfectly. The data package was on the line for less than five minutes before I downgraded it and activated the phone on my line.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the general thread, so my apologies, but how long do you think I have to wait before the Note 3 starts to come down in price? I know I could sell my GNex for $100 pretty easily and help offset the cost, but I'd still prefer not to spend the cash then watch the price fall the way the new Droids have been immediately after. The price drops have had me tempted to get a Maxx (or even an X), but I really want that big screen and obscene amount of RAM

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Given how long the S4 has been at 200, I would assume a while. If there's nothing over Black Friday-Cyber Monday I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

That's a really good point. I'll cross my fingers for a holiday sale, then grab it if there is or isn't one

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TyGuy posted:

So I'm on a family share plan (nationwide talk and text 2000) with four other family members. 2 of the 5 lines still have unlimited data including mine. My current phone is the Galaxy S3 which I preordered right before the deadline of no more unlimiteds with subsidized upgrades. I currently have an upgrade on my line available.

For clarification purposes, if I transfer that upgrade to one of the lines that is on the 2gb per month plan, use it to grab a new phone, then transfer that new phone back to my line I can keep my unlimited data? (and the other person will get the 2 year extended contract?)

This has been my understanding, as well as confirmed by an extremely nice, helpful service rep, so I don't know what the person talking to Dr. rear end in a top hat's girlfriend was talking about. Multiple have confirmed transferring an upgrade won't lose your unlimited. I'll be doing just that come Black Friday.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I just opened a chat with a rep and they claim that the employee discount doesn't apply to all accessories and she said they don't offer it on the Chromecast. Oh well.

I'm tempted to offer to sell you mine at the "discounted" price. I want so, so badly to love my CC, but it hates my router (I guess) because it refuses to play anything, at least in a watchable way, besides Netflix, so it's just been plugged into my TV for a month or two now, useless.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bam thwok posted:

This is how I did it. It works.

Me too. I did it online, then picked it up in store an hour later. The rep asked why I wasn't just activating it directly onto my line, then answered his own question with, "oh, your keeping your unlimited. I'll be extra careful then."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I have little to no trouble steaming music (or the occasional youtube clip) over 3G here in AR.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Glad I went ahead and used the loophole last month! My grandmother is on a feature phone line on my plan and will have an upgrade in four or so months, so I'll bank that for my next upgrade (phones mean nothing to her)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, my parents want to add a line to my plan for my little brother that they will be paying. They have a spare feature phone laying around that they're going to give him to use, so I figure I'll use this as an opportunity to grab a spare phone. Is there anything stopping me from getting a Moto X, activating it, then activating the feature phone and dropping the data plan? I know this would have worked in the past (and have done it a few times), but I remember rumors of them closing up this kind of loophole. Also, do the Moto X and Note 3 use the same size sim card? I love my Note, but wouldn't mind being able to swap back and forth, depending on my mood.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, my parents want to add a line to my plan for my little brother that they will be paying. They have a spare feature phone laying around that they're going to give him to use, so I figure I'll use this as an opportunity to grab a spare phone. Is there anything stopping me from getting a Moto X, activating it, then activating the feature phone and dropping the data plan? I know this would have worked in the past (and have done it a few times), but I remember rumors of them closing up this kind of loophole. Also, do the Moto X and Note 3 use the same size sim card? I love my Note, but wouldn't mind being able to swap back and forth, depending on my mood.

So, I answered part of my own question. My Note has a micro sim and the X has a nano sim. But, I was told in the general Android thread that I'd be okay swapping between devices if I cut my micro down and then used an adapter for Note days. So, anyone have a solid answer on if it's still safe to add a line, then downgrade it? I would be doing it via Amazon. Like I said, I've done this exact process without any issues, but I know someone mentioned they might have closed the door on that sort of thing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Was it an entirely new account or something? I think if you do an upgrade on your account, you lose unlimited data on all your lines.

This would have to be a super recent change. I just added a new line last week and it didn't do anything to my unlimited. I've even downgraded that line to a feature phone and activated the Moto X I got on my unlimited line.

There shouldn't be any problem with using the upgrade then moving it to a different line. Just be sure to activate it on the first, non-unlimited line first. After that, it's considered customer provided equipment.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

The rep doesn't want to get in trouble for facilitating someone keeping unlimited data. If you want to circumvent the company's loss-of-unlimited policy just order the phone online where no one is responsible for it.

Weird. I've had the same rep help me do the "transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line, use it, then move the device" trick to keep my unlimited as well as adding a line, then juggling that device. He even said something to the effect of "oh, you're trying to keep your unlimited, I got ya covered" and jumped through a couple extra hoops to be certain it didn't gently caress it up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

THF13 posted:

I am pretty sure cancelling data on the line with the upgrade will (or at least can) trigger the Amazon early termination fee.

I added a line, grabbed a Moto X, activated it, then switched to a feature phone and cancelled the data. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had any issues or gotten hit with any weird bills. Did the same thing a few years ago without a problem.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

:siren: Holy poo poo. If the phone has ever been contracted it will remove unlimited regardless of what account it is on :siren:

What the gently caress?! Might be time to start looking for an unlimited plan on AT&T to buy off someone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

How is this not causing a poo poo storm on the Android blogs? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't WANT to believe you.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Just got a call from "Technical Support" (800) 922-0204), which was somehow already programmed in my phone. The robot prompted me to go to verizon 33 dot com and claim me 33 dollars credit for this month's bill. Knowing Verizon doesn't give away money, I googled and and page 2 revealed it as a phishing site. Has this happened to anyone else? No I didn't go to the site.

It's a know scam. My mom got a similar call a few weeks ago and was smart enough to call me before going to the website. She's just about the perfect candidate for these kinds of things, but, thankfully, didn't fall for it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

August sucks for big sales, you may get better mileage by waiting for Labor Day (not really a big cell sale holiday) prices generally change week-to-week. Early edge doesn't make sense on your account, neither does Edge. Amazon.com is the same as getting from store with the caveat that if you reduce services or device swap the phone out to another line you may* incur a 3rd party termination fee payable to Amazon.

*I don't work for Amazon, and I don't intimately know their policies, so they may or may not apply to More Everything plans.

Just throwing it out there, but I added a line, got a Moto X, then downgraded the line to a feature phone and activated the X on my line (with unlimited data) without any issue within the last 4 months.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I did it just slightly before Ford started warning people of the new rules, but, not to say I don't believe him, I think the Android blogs would have at least mentioned if a new company wide policy had gone around that threatened people's unlimited.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you want a decent antenna I'd recommend maybe waiting for whatever Motorola's planning to launch. In my experience they've usually been the best for reception.

I've had the same experience. Samsung seems to be the worst by a noticeable amount. No clue about LG though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As someone that travels a good amount (and that amount will probably steadily increase over the next few years), having unlimited is pretty important to me (so is usable service). I've jumped through hoops to upgrade, which is fine, and will probably just buy future devices off contract, but getting throttled for using a fairly low amount of data is just lovely.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, apparently Verizon is trying to close another "keeping unlimited data" loophole by no longer allowing you to downgrade from a smartphone data plan to a standard $9.99 additional line. You could still use your upgrade, then move the phone to the new line, but you'd be stuck paying $30 a month for the data on the other line. This is supposed to go into effect August 24th. I have a spare line with a feature phone for my grandmother and I've been sitting on that upgrade with the intention of either getting the Moto X+1 or the next version of the Droid Maxx, but neither of them will be out in time. I'm thinking about using the upgrade on a G3 and either keeping it as a spare phone (although I already have a Note 3 and a Moto X that I swap between, so it's not like I don't already have a "spare") or sell it and bank the money until the X+1/new Maxx comes out.

Any of you planning anything similar? If so, what?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm planning on burning an upgrade in the next day or two before Verizon stops letting you downgrade your data plan. I don't want an S5 (have a Note 3 and that's more than enough TouchWiz in my life), don't want an M8 (have used my mom's M7 a lot and just don't love it, although the corrected button layout would help a lot), and don't really want a MAXX (it's "old" at this point and I'm already planning on buying the next version whenever they release it). Are there any glaring flaws to the G3? Yes, it's skinned, although not too terrible, and it has BUTTONS ON THE BACK, but is there anything really bad about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ease posted:

Htf are you not soff and off tw. Samsung has some decent hw but gently caress TW.

It's a retail Note 3, so I can't. But, I am rooted and running an AOSP themed ROM that goes a long way toward making it less terrible.

• Locked thread