Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

AppleCider posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Note 5 porting in from AT&T. The $200 "FALLPROMO" code still works, and they gave me $200 for my free HTC Desire 510 from Cricket.

I found two other promo codes that didn't stack, but might be worth a shot if you're purchasing phones:

GROUPON50 ($50 off)
VZWDEAL ($50 off)

Thanks, VZW chat support added a $50 bill credit for my wife's new 6s from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

canyonero posted:

Apologies if this is covered already. My wife is on a Verizon Wireless plan, I'm on AT&T Wireless. She gets an 18% discount through her employer, so I'd like to switch to Verizon and do a family plan with her. She still has 3 weeks left on her contract. Will Verizon allow her to convert the account to a Family Plan based on the new S, M, L, XL sizes and let me join before her contract is done in 3 weeks? It sounded like AT&T wouldn't let you convert an existing individual plan to a family plan. Thanks

Yes you can. I did it last week.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah. Don't buy a used phone without confirming with the carrier it's not on an active installment plan. If you are doing a local Craigslist deal, then consummate said deal in a carrier-owned phone shop, so you can be triply sure there's no shenanigans going on.

Will the CDMA one work on Verizon? It certainly doesn't list it in the specs.

No I don't think it does.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Melmac posted:

I don't have a Slickdeals account and the thread over there is pretty much impossible to decipher anyway.

I have two phones on my account. 1 is a Droid Mini on unlimited; out of contract. The other phone is an iPhone6 that is NOT on unlimited and it is still under contract.

What exact process do I need to go through so I don't experience the $20 per month increase?

From what I can tell I am supposed to:
  • Go to Best Buy's website and try to find a cheap phone that has a similar SIM card to my Droid Mini (if this is not possible, a SIM cutter will work).
  • If Best Buy's website warns about the unlimited data being removed, do not poo poo pants.
  • Receive new phone in the mail, and take out its SIM card and literally destroy it.
  • Put the SIM card from my Droid Mini into the new phone and use it for a couple days
  • Take the SIM card out of the new phone. Sell "new" phone on eBay or whatever (I guess without a SIM card?). Go back to using my Droid Mini. Pray to the Gods that I never lose my phone.

Is this all correct? Should my process be any different because I have a 2nd, limited plan on my account that is under contract?

:saddowns:

The way I see it you have 2 options:

-Best Buy trick and get a new iPhone and sell it for top $$ and make a few hundred bucks. Once you get the phone, put your old SIM in (both are nano sim so no cutting or whatnot is required), activate it, then swap back to the Mini. It is then sellable as long as that SIM it shipped with is destroyed.
-Do the same but get a new phone for yourself because the mini is pretty ancient by this point

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

maduin posted:

What's the return period if Verizon tries to gently caress me and swap me to a 2-gig plan for doing that stupid SlickDeals poo poo via BestBuy?

And does it immediately renew my contract (i.e. I can order a new iPhone which won't come for weeks and not some Droid garbage) or am I going to end up ordering this thing and my contract will lapse before I'm able to turn on my new phone? I generally wouldn't care, but this saves $20/mo and I get a new phone for $300 instead of like $800 so it's win+win+win if it works.

Generally it doesn't happen until you activate the new device.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm going to get hit with the $20 increase in unlimited data, so I'm thinking about moving off of my existing "Nationwide" family plan to one of the new Verizon plans. I am looking at the 12gb/mo plan. A couple of questions:

1) Where does my 20% line access discount come into play? On the $80/month base for the plan?
2) I am eligible for an upgrade, the other two phones are not until 11/16 (for both). Can I upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, then switch to the new plan? If not, will the contract end dates of my other two lines impact my ability to switch to a Verizon plan?
3) What does a dumbphone cost per month on a Verizon plan? Right now I have two iPhones and 1 flip phone. I'd like to keep it that way since the flip phone user doesn't really need a smartphone. Although three smartphones @ $20/month will mean I pay about what I pay now, not including my 20% discount.

1) On the base rate, yes
2) You can, but you'll pay an extra $20 per line to be on contract with it.
3) Don't know.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm thinking about buying the Nexus 6P once the reviews come out and see if it is as good as it looks.

Since you have to buy the phone directly (not through Verizon) does that do anything to my plan I'm currently on? My phone is on my parents' family plan.

Nope. It is a simple SIM swap.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

More interested in the Moto X Force whenever that drops, I'm having a hell of a time coming from Nexus devices on GSM carriers to locked down devices on Verizon.

So why don't you just get a 6p or 5x?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

I might, I'm doing research and people seemed to like the first DT, the previous Nexuses weren't liked as much so they really weren't on my radar until the reviews started coming in. I might even get a year old model for cheapness sake or the 5x. I was reading on how to activate the 5x/6p on Verizon and it seems possible but moderately annoying, I don't know if my current phone has the proper sim card that can be transferred or not.

Just google what card size your phone now has. It's not that hard.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I would take a scratchproof oleophobic coating rather than shatterproof a million times over.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

calmasahinducow posted:

So I haven't really checked into this thread for a while but like some others I have an unlimited data plan and I just noticed the price was going up. I'm not really happy about the price increase but I don't really use the unlimited data that much (exceptions are when the Army sends me somewhere lovely and I have to tether).

So here's my plan (critique this):
Get a Nexus 6P with Project Fi. Port my number over.
Sell my UDP for ~$600.
Try out Project Fi and keep it. Sell my LG G3 for ~$170

OR

Sign up for 2 year contract through Best Buy with Verizon. Port my number from Project Fi.
Get a subsidized phone from Best Buy and sell it on eBay for $350. Keep using my G3 for 2 more years.
Switch the Verizon plan over to my corporate plan which is $35/5GB.
Return the 6P to Google for full refund.

Any potential downsides to the second plan?

Get an iPhone 6S through Best Buy, sell it for ~650. Sell your G3. Use the 6P on Verizon.

The easiest and best plan.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

There's always the Google Voice visual voicemail option.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

jackpot posted:

Any chance of Google abandoning Voice?

There is ALWAYS a chance Google abandons a product. Voice has held on for a while, though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Welp. The Note 7 is going through more idiocity. What's Verizon's support for things like the OnePlus 3?

None. Doesn't have the proper radios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

If you don't typically make claims it doesn't make sense to pay for AppleCare or carrier insurance. Carrier insurance is a bigger ripoff because of high deductibles.

• Locked thread