Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Posting in case anyone can fix this. I have an HTC Rhyme and after you check the voicemail I get a text (from the phone's own number) listing the amount of voicemails, urgent messages, and faxes I have. Anyone know how to turn this off? The only solutions I found working with a Verizon phone rep were to subscribe to Visual Voicemail (which stopped the texts) or completely turn off voicemail notifications (which kills the point of voicemail).

Use google voice as your vmail provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

If you really play hardball with them and threaten to cancel your service you can get it for free, I got one for my parents this way. Just mention that you've been paying for a service that you don't really get (service in your home) and that you've been a loyal customer for X years but you'll go somewhere else if they don't hook you up with a free network extender. If they say 'we don't do that', let them know that you've done your research and know that they have done it before. Don't accept a discount, either. Keep threatening to cancel your account.

I got a Network extender for my dad it was really easy. I called up and asked for retentions. Fully intent on leaving if it came to it. You really have to be willing to follow through. It helped that dad was out of contract. When I got them on the line I said,

Me: "Well I don't actually want to cancel but I don't get service in my house and I know AT&T works and they offered me the same deal I have with you guys to go with them. I'm actually plenty happy with the Verizon service outside my home but I'm going to start working from home and having working cell service is a requirement."

Verizon: "We have a device we can sell you that gives you service in your home."

Me: "Oh, well, I'm not really open to paying for something. AT&T isn't going to make me pay additional money to use my phones at home and to be completely honest I'm not very good with gadgets so I'm nervous I couldn't even use it but I appreciate the offer."

Verizon: "Hold on sir, there might be something we can do to get you that device. If you'll just hold a few minutes I can find out more information for you."

Got device for free, two new phones for free and an additional $50 credit on the next bill just because. I find it's best to pretend to be naive but really friendly.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a "trick" to getting a competent sales person at a Verizon store? Like "can I talk to someone who knows about Android?" I went in today because my Bionic stopped connecting to 3g -- 4g and wifi worked fine just not 3g. I went in and the rep did all the things I has tried (cycling airplane mode, battery pull, etc) then said we needed to factory reset the phone. I was wary of this and suggested swapping the SIM card as I had read that was a problem with the Bionic. The rep looked confused and asked a very stressed looking woman (who was helping 3 people at once) if that would work and was told it was something that has worked in other cases.

Long story short, the new SIM worked but I am glad that I had read that (here?) else I would have a wiped phone and probably the same problem.

Finding a competent person at any retail store is luck of the draw.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Crazy685 posted:

I just had Verizon call me to try to set up an appointment for me to go visit a verizon wireless store for a free upgrade and whatever, but it made me wonder... are the deals the same as they are online?

When I paid my bill this month I noticed I could get an Iphone4S for $199 (the 16 gb) and just wondered if I could go into a score and get the same deal.

Yes. iPhone 4S 16GB is $199 -- everywhere.
I actually got $50 off my phone but it had nothing to do with being online or offline. Some phones (not iPhone) may vary in price depending on the retailer in which you choose to buy it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hotsauce posted:

Point taken. I didn't mention we get a 21% discount on Verizon as well. Unlimited data and virtually unlimited minutes have me blinded by the light I suppose. That and we use Whatsapp so texting is very occasional.

Verizon is a solid carrier for sure. This wasn't intended to become a debate about that. Your point is valid as is mine. We both have cellphones! Yay!

Most discounts on AT&T only apply to the minutes, not the features. Are you getting a discount on your entire bill? That would be interesting. I've had two different corporate discounts that never had that applied that. My first was just given to me by a friend because it was the "best discount available", I didn't even work for the company at the time. Seeing as how that's not super legit and I wasn't poor I eventually switched it to my real corporate discount before switching to Verizon.

Verizon is the same way. For example I get 22% off my minutes and 20% off my features. My Verizon bill has ended up being cheaper because of this.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

c0ldfuse posted:

I appreciate any help you can give.

I broke my free phone on Sprint. no insurance. New phone (same one): $500. Cancellation: $150.

Now I'm on Verizon.

There's likely nothing they will do.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Battery life isn't that bad, if you're on WiFi at least half of the day you can easily make it till you get somewhere to charge. And it will (hopefully) be updated to ICS soon. Screen/radios/build quality are all better.

My buddy has a lot of different HTC phones he tests. While he was happy with the phone when he first got it he did nothing but complain about how bad the battery was shortly after.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kyrosiris posted:

If I were Sprint, I'd be doing whatever the hell I could to get some better spectrum and spreading coverage as hard and fast as I could. They stand to make money hand-over-fist if they can capitalize on VZW basically giving their client base two middle fingers.

That types out a lot easier than it actually is to accomplish. Sprint has all sorts of troubles not to mention actually putting up towers is the easy part - getting the space and approval to have them is what takes forever.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cojawfee posted:

It wouldn't be such a problem if Google would just say "gently caress you." People want Android, carriers can't just not have android phones anymore.
They might lose a few customers a first but really I bet they would just sell a poo poo load more iPhones and Win8.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mighty Horse posted:

Top Three phones called in to customer support for help?

1)iPhone 5
2)iPhone 4
3)iPhone 4S

Does that really surprise you considering their popularity/customer base?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheReverend posted:

My question is, I have Cyanogen on that phone. What's the probability they gently caress me over?

Replaced 4 phones with Verizon. All custom roms. It's never an issue. They can't turn it on anyway right? So they get it- make sure the hardware is still good then send it off to be taken apart and refurbished.

Sure "rooting voids your warranty" but unless you go around saying "hey my rooted phone is broke" no one is going to say anything.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder how they are going to handle that on phones with dented bands

Charge $200

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, but it only applies to people whose next upgrade is after September. Someone who has an upgrade currently available could have up to 4 months of contract remaining.

(i.e. Me)

But yeah... I either can get a new phone next week but I think I might let my contract run out in October and move to T-Mobile. Loved Verizon service but I hate the company with a passion. I always have. Can't stand the way they try and nickel and dime you for everything. If I could keep unlimited data or something similar to it at a decent price I would probably stay with them but no real chance of that yet.

Ideally I'd like to go back to AT&T. Wish one of these turds would get rid of tiered plans so the other would follow.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stick100 posted:

I've nearly destroyed the capacity to connect on mobile or wifi for a iPhone 3GS, Motorola Defy and Galaxy Nexus. I'm really hard on devices. Most were new out of the box and at the end of my time period with them they would barely connect/(or not at all) to the network.

It would be tough to beat up an iPhone 5 that quickly.

So what you're saying is your information is anecdotal.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stick100 posted:

Yup but when people only have one phone to test sometimes they blame network deterioration when it's actually phone deterioration. It can cause people to switch providers based on a bad phone.

Kind of reminds me of when people give bad advice on something they only believe to be true yet state it as a fact causing people to misdiagnose potential problems with their issue.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

pancreatic cancer posted:

Hey guys, I have the old unlimited plan and I would like to keep it by buying a full priced phone. My question is, my contract is up in November. What happens to my plan at that point? Am I able to just continue to extend the unlimited date somehow? If so, how? Thanks.

You just do nothing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lblitzer posted:

well put it this way, $10 over 24 months is $240 not including taxes. A smartphone retail is $500-600. Up to you if your unlimited data is worth that.

Point is moot because you can't do what he's asking.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Corporate stores do everything they can to get you to leave if you aren't buying anything from them. Just do it over the phone.

Also a lot of people go to "Verizon Stores" but overlook the small "authorized reseller" text just under the logo. Anything that says that is not a true corporate store and really gives zero shits about anything not related to you buying something from them.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Don Lapre posted:

The new line holder will have the remainder of your contract or 12 months, whichever is more.
This might sound dumb but... they get your number? If I could transfer liability yet get rid of the number that might be tempting but otherwise it seems like it would cause a lot of issues.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vintimus Prime posted:

So apparently Verizon is looking to counter act the new upgrade rules that T-Mobile now has:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/verizon-vz-edge-phone-upgrade-program/

Would be awesome except for upgrading my phone causes me to switch to a plan that would cost me about $40 more a month. If Verizon can default their 4G plans to 4GB I might get on board. Even then, still more expensive then what I am paying now.

A future a lesser coverage on T-Mo is still waiting for me in October at this point.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Yeah I could probably also swing moving from tiered if 50% was involved.

Although Verizon (at least for my company) has odd breakouts of the discount. For example the plan itself is 20% off and then the plan features (data and texts) are 22%. No clue how that works in a tiered situation. Doubt I'll ever know.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is how it usually played out when I talked to customers also.

95% of them just have the words "2 year contract" burned into their minds, and assumed that's when they can get their new phones. Couple that with the fact that if you're on a family plan, you're pretty much stuck with them until the end of time because peoples lines have different contract end dates, and to bring all of them over would see families paying ETF fees on 2+ lines almost all the time, which is a shitton of money to expect people to plop down all at once.

Plus, if you're on Verizon usually the only equivalent is ATT. Sprint and Tmobile's service zones are still a joke compared to them, and since ATT and Verizon have all the same phones and plan prices are almost exactly the same...Verizon knows people won't switch away.

I'm just waiting out the end of my contract hoping Verizon will entice me to stay before it happens but knowing it won't. Verizon's service is nice, best I've had, but I've always hated the company and Tmobile looks mighty attractive these days.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, this kind of sucks for everyone who just recently upgraded their phones.

No poo poo, especially if you upgraded last week.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bull3964 posted:

You can always return if you are within 14 days and repurchase.

Yeah I'm going to call Monday and ask very nicely for them not to force me to do that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
The woman on the phone told me it was impossible to do but when I asked her to try anyway she said "It works but I don't think it will stay" so here's hoping.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I had my plan restored to unlimited (because I purchased last Friday). I sure hope I stay lumped in with the rest of the glitched folks :).

As of right now, it's still on my account.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bull3964 posted:

It's been covered extensively in the past few pages complete with the proper codes to find the plan.

Even with the code I was told I couldn't apply with my corporate discount intact.

Can anyone confirm the same? I guess it doesn't matter now because I got my unlimited back but I'm still curious if they were full of poo poo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mighty Horse posted:

Some corp discounts actually will let you keep unlimited, that is likely what happened to you.
No. I reverted my phone plan during that sundayfunday glitch where people could briefly keep unlimited and Verizon was like "oh well gently caress it fine"

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

With as widespread as free/minimal hassle wifi is becoming anymore aside from people using their phones as a primary means of internet service I can't imagine actually needing unlimited. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone (I work for a major silicon valley tech company, apparently if you're part of a large enough account Verizon still offers unlimited) and looking at my usage for the current billing cycle (28th of last month - 27th of this month) I've used about 450 MB of mobile data (includes tethering it to my wife's tablet whenever we're out), while my wifi usage in the same period is over 1.5 GB.

Okay Bill Gates but we don't all use the phones the same. As people mentioned there are very real examples of steaming just music in a car and blowing away data caps.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

Can you show me where I said that data caps are beneficial? I observed that I don't think unlimited plans are necessary, and there are ways to sidestep data caps. That doesn't mean "I think service providers should charge draconian fees for tiny data plans."

Still waiting for that Wifi signal to reach my car on my hour commute each way to work. Pls help. Seems like you have the answer for me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

I'm sure the "BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO STREAM MY 920 KBPS FLAC MUSIC COLLECTION DURING MY 6 HOUR ONE WAY DAILY COMMUTE/KEEP MY :filez: GOING?" crowd will say this too would be unacceptable though.

Or in my case, iTunes Radio. Still waiting for you to tell me how I can use wifi during my commute to save on data usage because obviously using over 2gb a month means I must:

A) Ability have unrealistic expectations (playing music during a commute)
B) Not be aware of freely available Wifi on interstate 90
C) Live too far from work, I should probably just get a job closer so I can get to work faster and use their wifi.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jfreder posted:

I'm not sure how iTunes Radio works but I use Rdio and can sync any music I want to listen to in the car to my phone over wifi. You can't do Pandora-style song discovery but it might let you go at least part of the time without using data.

That's not how iTunes Radio works. You stream. That's your option.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JP Money posted:

Also, most cars come equipped with an actual radio you can use. For free. Using no bandwidth.

I could also get rid of my cell phone! I could stop paying for gas if I just got off my lazy rear end and rode my bike!

You're a bigger loving idiot than that other turd who can't believe someone might use more than 2gb a month.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JP Money posted:

I am glad you were also able to come up with some reasonable outcomes from all this.

The point you should take away from this is that there are alternatives to get around your data limits. Get it? The majority of users use less than 2GB so it makes far more sense to extort the few internet spergs that refuse to use less than 40GB a month to make more money. It's not going away if you suddenly start bitching and writing lengthy freakout posts on the internet nor is it going to go away if you threaten to leave Verizon for another carrier that does the EXACT same poo poo.

I didn't threaten to leave anything. And your "alternatives" are dumb suggestions.

Also, to my knowledge there's only one other carrier that does the exact same poo poo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

You see, he doesn't want to have to :airquote: micromanage :airquote: his music collection by being restricted to only 64 GB of it at a time. You might as well be telling him to put in an AM only radio in his car! What's he supposed to do if he's suddenly in the mood for that rare, alternate b-side live bootleg version of his eighteenth favorite band's side project's song with a guest drummer? Settle for the six other versions on his phone? I'd rather not live than exist in a world like that :colbert:

No actually I just want to listen to new music and be able to have some control over what that music is. Don't be dense. How come you're avoiding telling me about in car wifi?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Codes & Prices

I've always wondered, what the hell does corporate email mean? I mean I could just link any phone I want to my companies exchange server. Does Corp Email entail some type of VPN accessibility? AT&T charged extra for it too. I worked for Sprint for 5 years and we never had that fee. I don't quite understand it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tonic posted:

If I pay full price for a Verizon phone (eg on Ebay) and add a line to my wife's account, I don't have to agree to a two year commitment, correct? I can cancel the line and not pay an ETF?

Will I still be eligible for the contract pricing on a smartphone?

Yes to all.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Can you trade in iPhones directly at the Verizon Store like you can with Apple?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ramadu posted:

c/p from the recommend me a plan thread:

I have a question I'm not sure where to ask. I have a iphone 5s on verizon through my work. My work is closing so i'm getting laid off and this phone is mine. Can I get on this verizon edge thing or is that a scam, what's the deal there?

The phone is mine. I just want to know what I should be looking at. I don't use a ton of data, mostly just texting. What is this edge thing? I saw on the site with my phone I could pay 27/mo? Is that how this works please teach me your wireless ways. A secondary question is, since its a verizon iphone can it be used on any other carrier or am I locked into verizon?

You can use it with T-Mobile or AT&T without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

td4guy posted:

Actually, the fact that his phone number was at one point associated with an iMessage account is now forever cached on every iOS device that has ever messaged him. And it will just silently fail without the iMessage going through. Turning it off on his end won't help.
http://blog.benjaminste.in/post/75389520824/ios-holding-my-phone-number-hostage-the-worst-bug

Has worked for myself and all of my friends? Works even better if the person you're talking to starts a new convo but in my experience you don't even have to always do that.

• Locked thread