Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SpacedOut posted:

Really? Really??

Caller ID is a service that transmits the NUMBER of the calling party to the recepient's telco's switch, which is then passed on to the recipient's device if they subscribe to the service. Providing the name is an entirely different service, called Caller ID Name Delivery, or CNAM. Yes, most POTS providers give CNAM data with the CID service (probably because it isn't a free service on POTS lines), but, please, show me where in any wireless companies' advertisements, verbiage, terms of service, whatever, it states they provide CNAM?

When I, and I'm sure most people, think of Caller ID they think of something like this:

I don't think "That's CID with CNAM." No one does. I've always seen it with the name and number on every POTS line my family has had since I remember. It's not unreasonable to expect your cell phone to do the same when they use the same phrasing to describe the service. My local phone company, when describing the basic of phone service, says "Caller ID" not "Caller ID with Name Delivery."

They're probably in the right when it comes to the legalities of advertising it that way, IANAL, but it's not what people expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Anyone hear about a Verizon inductive charger? Supposedly the LG Revolution is coming with a QI charging back. The cheapest charger I can find though is that double device Energizer one. And that one is still going for $70 at best.

~$40 or so I'd love to get one for it, it'd be great for my desk at work. I'm in and out of my office all day, being able to just set it down and grab it when I come and go would be pretty awesome.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

So far, for a few hours, I like it. Build quality is solid, if a bit heavy compared to the charge. Screen isn't as nice, but passable 800x480.

Speed wise, its pretty peppy, scores a 1910 on quadrant.

I am finding I actually like some of the LG customizations, the app drawer allows you to create sub folders within it, so media adds are one tab, communications, downloads, etc. This is key because it allows you to move all the crapware to a custom folder I call "crapware" and leave minimized. Not as good as being able to uninstall, but a nice option. The lock screen has a nifty "whats new" option that brings you to the latest messages, emails, etc in once flick, pretty nice.

camera is OK, but only 5MP, so not quite up to the Charge or Tbolts..

only drawbacks I can find so far are bing, and google music FCs on launch. (I got into the beta)

It only weighs .06 ounces more than my OG Droid, and is ever so slightly thinner actually.

Do you know how much RAM it has? Nothing anywhere states what it has on board.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I got a Revolution today. I want 4G before unlimited goes away, and my OG Droid was on its last legs. (Broken screen, not nearly enough RAM anymore.) Kinda gambling a bit on the dev support I know, but we'll see.

If anyone has questions about it I can try to answer them.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Rowe posted:

Could you snap a couple of photos with it? I'm interested in seeing the picture quality.

Sure, I'll get some tomorrow when it's light outside.

So far I'm liking it. There's nothing that different about it, its pretty much the same as a stock Droid, only faster in every aspect and with more memory and RAM.

I've been playing with video playback and it decoded some x264 and several Divx files perfectly. One video that appeared to be like all the rest failed for some reason, not sure if the codec on that one is messed up or not. Still looking into it. Plays back the following according to the manual: "3gp, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, mkv
(Codec: MPEG4, H.263, Sorenson H.263, H.264, VC-1, DivX/XviD)"

It DOES have an indicator light, it's at the tip of the left side of the Verizon checkmark. Nothing anywhere mentions it.

DOES NOT come with the QI wireless charging back. The rep I talked to quoted me $30 for the back and $70 for the pad before any discounts. Kinda pricy... I get a 25% discount for my work plan, but that's still a bit much for a charger. I'd love to get the back and a few pads, but not for that much.

Verizon says it has 768MB of RAM, but I'm pretty sure it only has 512.

I can't say how the battery life is yet, but it's taking a hell of a long time to charge. Make sure you use something that pushes out 500mA and not just 200. I had it on a smaller charger and I was actually draining the battery as I was playing with it, switched it over to the one it came with and it started to climb again. 5 hours later (with heavy use and the screen at 100%), being plugged in for 4 of those, and I'm at 55%.

I put Launcher Pro on it, as I got tired of the bright colors and rounded edges. Seems to still be just as snappy.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 27, 2011

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Rowe posted:

Could you snap a couple of photos with it? I'm interested in seeing the picture quality.

Linked because they're full size.

Outside shot from shade, it's really bright outside.
http://i.imgur.com/MoN1n.jpg

Outside while in the sun, really bright sunlight, anything in the shade goes black.
http://i.imgur.com/PfxU8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9EOUU.jpg

Inside, no flash, kinda dim.
http://i.imgur.com/cWTRQ.jpg

Inside, with flash.
http://i.imgur.com/fCPWZ.jpg

The camera UI is tweaked a little, but they're nice changes. I prefer the LG camera app over the stock one.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Messing around a bit with the mobile hotspot on the Revolution while it's free, I gotta say, this is pretty drat slick. Turn it on, turn wifi on notebook, select phone, enter phone number as passphrase, done.

Pulling an easy 3Mbps on a quick speedtest. Not as fast as some on the phone, but not shabby at all.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

Guessing(hoping) he's not in a LTE-activated area.

I am actually. Though I'm in the middle of a building with 2 bars, and I didn't realize I had Pandora on at the time. A speedtest with that off shows about 3.7Mbps, but the closest server to the test is L.A., and I'm in Arizona...

If I scoot over to the phone and run the Ookla speedtest.net app I'm pulling down 7Mbps. So I'm not sure why I'm losing 3Mbps over the 4 feet of air between the two.

Edit: On the speedtest app it uses the Tempe server, which actually is the closest one to me. On the website from the notebook it defaults to Los Angeles. Speed gets worse if I manually select the same Tempe server.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Got a desktop dock for my Revolution today, they sell one with and one without the spare battery, so if anyone else besides me gets a Revolution, make sure you get the one you want. The item number with the battery has -B on the end of it. They sent me the wrong one (sans battery), stopped by a store and got it exchanged no problem though.

The dock itself will hold the phone with the extended battery if you have it, and the spare battery charging slot on the back will also hold a extended or standard battery.

If you pop a phone and a battery into it, it will charge up the phone first, then the battery. It has to be plugged into the AC adapter for it to charge the battery though.

Now I'm just waiting for clockwork recovery to update then I can void my warranty good and proper.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I was having some weird issues tonight with my Revolution, phone said it was on 4G, three bars, but nothing was downloading. I could see the arrow for upload trying, but I had no network. After about 15 minutes it finally kicked down to 3G and I had a great signal and speed.

Is there an easy (Read, widget toggle type easy) way yet to turn 4G off or force it to use 3G if this type of thing happens?

Edit: On a side note, I've used 7GB of data this cycle. Ye gads.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

tismondo posted:

I understand the Thunderbolt has simultaneous voice and data but I'm unclear on why this is. I've actually heard 2 different mutually exclusive explanations.

- Data over LTE, voice over CDMA. If you turn off the LTE radio you no longer get simultaneous voice/data

- There was a fix on the VZW backend and/or the thunderbolt has a unique radio that allows simultaneous voice and data, independent of LTE.

Which one is true? And are there any other phones currently or in the near future that allow simultaneous voice/data?

Data over LTE, voice over CDMA. They use different radios that can work at the same time. So every 4G Verizon phone should have simultaneous voice/data.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

I used 8GB on my Revolution last month, purely streaming videos and music on the phone. We're talking about an hour or so a day of video alone, then I stream HQ music for 3-4 hours a day.

Tethered for maybe 15 minutes, browsed the forums from my notebook, that's it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Anyone have any issues with 4G not receiving any data but showing a strong signal? My Revolution is having serious issues from time to time with not being able to use data at all, while showing 3-4 bars of 4G signal, while outside even. Last night it was for about 4 hours.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

fnkels posted:

To anyone thats on the fence about hoping on Verizon, Amazon Wireless reduced the subsidized price of the Thunderbolt and the Revolution to $99 and $.01. I'm surprised they dropped the Revolution so much.. Is it really that unpopular?

It's kind of annoying how the conversation is always "Thunderbolt or Charge?!" it seems that the Revolution is just forgotten about by nearly everyone. I like mine, besides some odd 4G connection issues now and then it's fine. No real problems with the battery life either, I have a spare one and the desktop dock. I just swap it out if it gets low.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

hotsauce posted:

If the Verizon version is anything like the international (unlocked) one, you will love it. I have it with two batteries and I can abuse the gently caress out of it all day long and I MIGHT need the second battery.

It's pretty incredible. I don't have LTE so unless it chugs juice like no other, you will be way good to go with two batteries (hell maybe even one - I have only needed my spare once).

I'm really hoping it's consistent with the international one. It's supposed to be out on the 27th, on a Tuesday, so I figure give it until the weekend for people to try it out and see if anything major is wrong with the VZW one before picking it up.

I've stopped by a T-Mobile store twice now when cruising through malls just to play with it. It doesn't feel like a massive slab when I use it now. But then my hand from the base of my palm to fingertip is 8 inches. It fits pretty well.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

So how are the VZW Note 2s working for those who got them? Any weirdness specific to them?

The only thing I could suss out that appears to be real from reading around was that Multi Window is missing a bunch of apps that the other versions have (gmail and Youtube notably). Even VZs picture of that feature doesn't show them.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Currently at 80 gigs this month. No throttling. We use my phone at the ladies house for netflix, plex, both our laptops. Dont think they really care to be honest.

:stare: I'm suddenly less concerned about the data the Note 2 seems to chug with wild abandon.

HQ Youtube on this can pull actual 720p videos, a lot more data per video than my last phone did. About 5k Kbps. I used more data watching a video today while my oil was changed than all last month of streaming music. Crazy. Reeeeeeally glad I managed to keep unlimited.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

So where the hell is the serial number on the VZW Note 2? Because Samsung will not take the IMEI number to register it. It just complains about using the number on the phone, not the box. Even though they're the exact same loving number.

I want my accessory coupon code dammit.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Ryvannis posted:

They didn't tell you where? It should be on the box or under the battery in your phone.

I just found it. (how to register that is) The generic registration on their main page didn't work at all for me. You have to go through a different link buried deeper. If you go through all these dropdowns to select the specific one you bought it asks for the ESN/IMEI instead of S/N and accepts it.

They really should say if there's a different process for certain products. I have no idea how I kept ending up on that one if it wouldn't work. :\

E: And I got my 50% off code! Yay! $25 spare battery and charger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This month‽ What have you been doing?

I pulled about 2GB in an hour watching HD youtube.

I watched videos before and it wasn't that bad, but the Note 2 will get full 720p video quality it seems.

• Locked thread