Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Great OP.

Seconding the headlamp. That comes in handy if you go to places in the world where the electricity goes out every 5 minutes (see: most of Africa, including capital cities and urban centers). Holding your mobile phone works, but hands free is a lot nicer when it's dark at 6pm and you don't want to go to sleep yet.

I love the flanged Christmas tree earplugs :/.

Rolling clothes is way more space efficient than folding clothes.

Some rolly suitcases have backpack straps too. This is by far my preferred travel bag, because I am a lazy rear end in a top hat who loves to roll things when I can, plus I don't get paranoid about all my poo poo getting broken like I do with a backpack (broken 2 camera viewfinders with backpacks; now I use a semihard backpack/suitcase). I love everything from Timberland. Their stuff lasts forever. I've had my current suitcase for 8 years and it's still in perfect condition after being strapped on roofs on long, bumpy busrides across gravel roads, thrown into cargo holds, etc.

I've found that toilet paper is pretty handy to pack a little bit of with your medicine kit. It's easy to pick up in most airports, but not every lovely 3rd world airport has the luxury of TP, so it's worth starting out with some (and always having some throughout the trip). Plus it doubles as kleenex, bandaging, etc.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh and recommended your travel apps too.

Navigon is a pretty decent GPS app that works without a data plan on iPhones and probably Android too. It only serves the first world (US, CA, Europe, Aus) and it's hilariously expensive ($120 for Europe, probably €120 too, and a standalone GPS costs the same), but if money is no issue or you don't mind pirating, it's much more handy than a separate-deviced-GPS.

Usually I start with Wikipedia/Wikitravel for a broad overview of a place, then Lonely Planet's forums for more in-depth stuff. TripAdvisor is good for in-depth reviews for first world locations, like if you want to find the best restaurants in London or NYC or something, but I've never really liked it for anything other than restauranting, and it's useless for anywhere not-first-world.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 30, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fists Up posted:

Why don't you like waist straps?

I found even though I wasn't hiking that sometimes the walk from a train/bus station to the hostel was a few km's and the waist strap takes a load of weight off.

The idea is that your backpack should not weigh so much that you need a waist strap to help with the weight (particularly true for larger dudes, less so for smaller girls, I guess).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

qirex posted:

I am so confused by what you're going for here. There's usually a cash advance fee from the ATM company and you should almost never do a cash advance on a credit card even if you have a positive balance because frequently you will get charged a different [worse] rate. There should be no difference in which bank's ATM you use for a cash withdrawl on an ATM card. Also I have never seen these magic "better deal" small money changing places people talk about anywhere, they're all ripoffs. You may get a better rate but these places make money on fees.

Overall paying cash for everything is the easiest way to avoid weird fees, fraudulent charges and stay on budget.

What I do:
[list][*]Get $50ish worth of local currency from my bank before I go to get from the airport to where I'm staying.

The magic "better deal" changers work in countries where the "real" exchange rate is different from the "official" exchange rate (e.g. Myanmar, DPRK, Belarus, Zimbabwe-5-years-ago). I agree with the rest of your post, although sometimes getting $50 of local currency beforehand is impossible (many poor countries do not allow their currency to be traded outside their borders, e.g. CFA).

A couple other points along these lines:
- If you can, get a debit card with a chip in it, although IIRC only BoA offers these. Some ATMs and places in some countries will not accept the older, American-style cards that only have a magnetic strip on the back and nothing on the front. Good luck getting money in Japan without one, for example. You'll have to try 5 ATMs to find one that works (ones in post offices work on American cards, literally every other ATM in Japan seems to not work without a chip).
- Some places do not accept credit cards that do not have a PIN number. For example, you can't buy a train ticket using a machine in Switzerland with a credit card that doesn't have a PIN. This is pretty rare but it happens.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mradyfist posted:

Sheep-Goats, are you planning on including a section on camping gear at all? I know it's useless in many parts of the world, but if you're in southern Africa a tent can save you tons of money, and also pretty much guarantee you can find a place to stay at night since hostels rarely fill up their camping areas.

If you go camping in southern Africa rather than spending $40 a night on a hotel room, you get an award for the world's most miserly person. (Particularly after spending $1500+ on your plane ticket there.) What you said is -more useful- for Europe. Plus you can get a night's sleep in a tent instead of having a bunch of drunk Brits throw up all around you.

But yeah, that'd be a great section to add on. I can't say I know enough to write about it either, though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 6, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

melon cat posted:

Any recommended websites/brands for rugged, but stylish, jackets? I've been searching high and low for a new winter jacket. every store I've been to has nice-looking jackets, but they're paper-thin (one of my friends who works at these stores told me they design them this way so you layer up and buy more clothing from the store. Screw that).

Can anyone suggest a jacket that's nice enough to wear outside, but is also durable and warm for the occasional hiking trip? :ohdear:

Arcteryx stuff is amazing if you don't mind punishing your wallet. I got an Atom pullover as a gift and it's like the nicest thing I've ever owned. Doesn't weigh a thing, super comfortable, and good down to about a mildly windy 32 F.

E: And Bear Grylls wears that brand's stuff.

E2: It also attracts Canadians like moths to a light.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Humphrey Vasel posted:

"The recommendation by the International Air Transport Association suggests an 'optimal' carry-on size at 21.5 inches (55cm) tall by 13.5 inches (34cm) wide by 7.5 inches (19cm) deep", though I've seen some places say 55x35x20cm. Also bear in mind not all airlines have adopted those guidelines. It's more something to keep an eye on for now.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/10/plane-passengers-may-need-to-buy-new-suitcases-in-plan-to-shrink-carry-on-size

Yeah, but it will probably just end up like EasyJet's 'change*' where they only 'guarantee' your bag will fly with you if it's some tiny dimension, but even if they make you gate-check it, they still let you fly with the old larger size. I've been flying with the same Timberland suitcase for a little over 10 years now (Jesus, it's lasted amazingly well) and have never had any problems with it pushing the boundary limits.

*http://www.skyscanner.net/news/7-ways-beat-new-easyjet-cabin-baggage-rules

Also on topic for travel gear: I recently bought a bunch of Icebreaker merino wool shirts, and they are the poo poo. Half an hour after you take them off, no matter how sweaty you were, they're dry and smell like a normal shirt again. All of my cotton shirts are going in the garbage, where they belong. A+++ would recommend for the OP, worth every penny of the $65 or whatever their tshirts cost.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beast Pussy posted:

was going to ask if I could do without a full compliment of merino wool, since the climate is pretty mild. I feel like that money would be better spent on experiences. Is it really as life-changing as all the travel blogs say?

I've been wearing this shirt every day for a week now to test out its smell durability, and it still smells fine shortly after I take it off. This is including a full day of travel with a transatlantic flight and sleeping in it twice. (I'm wearing it as an undershirt so my friends and colleagues don't start to wonder about my hygiene.) Normally everything I wear that's cotton is covered in sweat and smells like death after a day in a hot climate, and continues to smell like death until it's washed. YMMV, some people don't smell so bad when they sweat.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

caberham posted:

Living in South East Asia, I'm going to go all ice breaker.

You might want to buy one before you go all-in, in case you end up having allergic reactions to the wool or something. I inherited a bunch of nice wool socks from my dad a while back thanks to this.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I thought Merino wool was magic, but it turns out if you hike for it in 33°C weather in full sun and coastal humidity for six hours, it actually still smells like death after it dries. It does seem immune to lesser punishments though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

How was it after a hand wash? I imagine poly shirts in that environment would have melted into your skin, so technically worse but both are still bad.

I stuffed it in a plastic bag, double bagged it (and everything else I was wearing that day) and will untie it when I do laundry. But that's a good idea, I should've tried handwashing it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone here have a favorite daypack that is small/collapsable and can easily fit into a larger bag? I'm going around South America for four months, starting mid-September, and want to be able to leave my large bag in hotels/apartments sometimes while still having a reasonably-large bag to take around town.

The best so far I've been able to find is the Lightweight Travel Tote by Patagonia or maybe the New Outlander travel backpack? I haven't found so many alternatives yet. Patagonia's thing isn't carried on Amazon also which is annoying.

I was initially thinking of cramming all my stuff into a 33L backpack, but if I get a second pack like this, then taking a 33L bag shouldn't be as insane (since I can end up with ~50L with the two combined, e.g. if I want to do a lazy-rear end job packing one day, or if I want to buy food and carry it around).

Also does anyone have thoughts about the steriPEN? I don't think we really need it very much honestly since we're going Argentina -> Chile -> Bolivia -> Peru -> Colombia -> Panama -> Costa Rica, with the only sketchy water area really being Bolivia and maybe Titicaca (we'll be around Cuzco and Titicaca in Peru only).

Edit: Here's my packing list so far, for mid-Sept -> mid-January, starting in Buenos Aires and then moving north from the Chilean coast until Costa Rica

== Clothes ==
2x Icebreaker merino wool short sleeved t-shirt
2x Icebreaker merino wool long sleeved shirt
1x arcteryx long-sleeved shirt-sweater-thing
2x Arcteryx underwear
2x Exofficio underwear
2x short wool socks
2x long wool socks
1x long wool underwear
1x merino wool sweater
1x arcteryx rain jacket
1x pants (not jeans)
1x short/swimsuit combo
1x polo shirt when I need to look presentable
1x light silk scarf
1x flip flops (can shower in and wear out)
1x running shoes
1x sunglasses

== Stuff == [portioned for two people, i.e. 2x = one for each of us, so 1x sleeping bag = we have to tear it in half if we both want it]
2x microfiber towel
1x 12'' macbook/charger [E: I need this for work, and it's the smallest/lightest laptop that will suit the purpose]
1x 7'' tablet/charger [same as phone]
2x phone/charger
2x headlamp
1x lumix GM1, 25mm, 14-35mm, macro lenses/charger
1x 20L collapsable travel bag
1x headphone splitter (there are two of us)
2x in-ear-canal headphones
1x fork-knife-spoon combo [ I guess we'll have to eat in turns :/ ]
1x swiss army knife
1x universal plug converter [1x plug and 2x USB ports -- so good for all electronics except camera + computer charging at same time]
1x deck of cards
2x travel locks -> any ideas here?
1x money belt (? not sure if really necessary)
1x steriPEN (? again not sure)
1x sleeping bag (? again not sure if necessary; I have a very lightweight one that compresses into about the size of two fists so could double as a travel pillow)
2x 500 mL collapsable water bottles
1x 1L collapsable water bottle

--> will see if this all fits into my 33L Osprey; otherwise I'll buy whatever the smallest pack it all fits into is

Medical kit: anti-malarial, anti-altitude, antibiotic ointment, antinflammatories/headache, melatonin, bandaids, bugspray, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. (E: ziploc bags, kleenex)

I found these peoples' lists (also have a M/F version) which seems pretty much in tune with mine, but looking for ideas anyone else has! http://worldlynomads.com/index.php/backpacking-packing-list/

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I Don't want to be that guy but you don't need 2 phones, a laptop and a tablet to do 4 months in South America. Ditch the tablet or laptop or both.

Pulling out a tablet in public is a great way to say "hey I've got expensive poo poo".

The "stuff" part is for two people. I'm not going to try and save 4 oz on a phone that would make it a much larger hassle to do things separately from my girlfriend and to need to make sure we have a rendezvous organized whenever we go our separate ways.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

transient posted:

Phones for sure, we always travel with ours or burners.

The laptop though, are you working? I can't ever leave mine behind but always wish I could.

I'll have to do some work since it's four months and I'm not completely on holiday.The new macbook is only 2.0 pounds (charger also works for the phone) and I can't edit illustrator files on a tablet. Everything is synchronized with Dropbox so if my pack with $3k worth of electronics and clothes gets nicked it's not the end of the world or the trip, it'd just be a hassle, although of course I would do my best to avoid this!

Thanks for the other tips. I guess commercial jetlines just within South America care about swiss army knives? I can check a bag on my way into Buenos Aires and out of Costa Rica, but e.g. from Peru to Colombia I I'd trust it a little less. Maybe I'll just bring the combo fork-knife-spoon and hope TSA doesn't know what it is. A knife is pretty much essential for making sandwiches and whatever, although it's fair that the fork and spoon are a little more ???.

Blinkman987 posted:

[Packing List]
3 - Wool pants are pretty key if you don't care about how torn up they get. Anything else besides running shoes to go with those pants?

I have a pair of lovely Converse-knockoffs I was thinking of bringing as well that will probably wear out in about two months, and I figure I can pick something else up along the way. I've heard that high quality sports clothes are hard to find (or ridiculously expensive in Santiago and BA) which is why that's all my clothing list consists of (and in any case I already own everything on the list except for the steriPEN; I'm not going on a crazy spending spree for excessive travel gear). I might hate having only four shirts after two weeks of the trip, but I figure I can buy a "I Lost My Heart At Igazu Falls" shirt and wear it like an idiot for the next two months.

Blinkman987 posted:

6 - Are your phones unlocked? Do you know how to use APNs? I'd be shocked if you ran into a cell phone rep who did while down there.
10 - Where are you actually planning to use your sleeping bag? Are you bringing a silk liner? They're expensive, but with that gear list I assume money ain't a thang. You'd want a hat for any sleeping bag use as well.
11 - I cannot emphasize enough that you should bring a small pack of kleenex wherever you go. And not the cheap stuff.
12 - Bring lots of quality zip-lock bags for your passport or anything else you don't want to get wet.
13 - Make a rain cover for your bag out of a trash bag and some scissors unless you really want to buy one and you're not worried about high winds.
14 - Water bottles?

6. Phones are unlocked, I'd never heard of APNs before. I figured it was like a VPN but apparently not. Any suggestions for providers? I don't need Internet every day, but I do need it every week. In general low bandwidth is fine, I mostly just need email and files less than ~50 Mb, although Dropbox sync of photos would be nice. Internet seems like it's fairly pervasive at hostels, but maybe they nickel-and-dime you for terrible, slow access.
10. I was planning to use it as a pillow or as a liner for filthy hostel rooms. We're not going to camp at all except maybe on the Inca Trail so it wouldn't be for the traditional sleeping bag use. Maybe a silk liner would work better, although I like the idea of using the current bag as a pillow.
11-12 Excellent, thanks. Ziplocs should go #1 on every travel list since they're impossible to find outside of the US and Canada. I've lived in Europe for 6 years and I still import the things whenever I go to the US.
14. Have a couple collapsable/flat 500 mLs and one collapsable 1L.

VVVV Yeah I should probably just do that. It's not like they're hard to find.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rhombus posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've been out and about with half a can of soda that I want to save for later, but I just don't have any pockets to handle that type of thing. This hoodie could save me dozens of dollars a year in beverage costs!

I wonder if the person who designed that clothing has ever seen the plastic screw-top bottles that carry sodas and that are ubiquitous everywhere (Edit:) in first world countries.

Actually it's odd how these are impossible to find in third world countries. Maybe that specific jacket pocket is for the savvy third world trekkers.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 8, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

crowtribe posted:

I recently moved interstate and shed everything superfluous, meaning I've got no suitcases or backpacks, so starting afresh. I'm looking at a duffel style bag as they seem to offer more water/weatherproof options given my proximity to water, however I've got no idea how big 45, 60, 90 or 125L of space really is and how far that stretches.

So far the Patagonia Black Hole has come up a few times as decent, and the North Face Base Camp has an odd mix of high sales but terrible reviews. Other things like locally made Over-board bags also sit in the same price range or cheaper and are attractive, but if anything it's just leaving me more confused with so many features, sizes and materials.

You should probably go into a real physical store and check them out in person. Even a 45 L bag is large enough for 10 days of clothing with a change every day.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking at the Herschel Novel bag. My Osprey Porter 46 is good for backpacking when I'm taking a minimalist approach, but it's not great for a 3-day weekend where I may need multiple changes of clothes plus gym clothes. What I really want is a slot for shoes, keeping those dirty soles in a separate compartment and not squishing them down in a main compartment.

What I've been doing is I keep a rain jacket on my backpack (Osprey 33L) at all times, and stuff a shoe in a small plastic bag inside both of the side pockets under the rain jacket (usually for water bottles). I'm 3 months into backpacking like that and have yet to lose a shoe.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Post-trip gear talk - Just did about 3 weeks in SE Asia, but also had to accommodate early mornings in Delhi and a day in Frankfurt (near freezing conditions)

[list]
[*]Zip-off leg pants - These pants are much maligned here, but I really liked my TNF Paramount Peak II pants. The cargo pockets don't billow out unless carrying something, so they have a normal pants silhouette. They were very durable and saved me from packing more shorts than necessary. Plus, they have the zippered pocket for wallet/passport which I feel is a travel necessity.

I just finished a four month tour through Latin America, which went from near-freezing Buenos Aires, to very-cold Uyuni to hot-and-humid-as-poo poo Cartagena and the TNF Paramount Peak II pants were probably the best thing I had on the entire trip. I had a pair of jeans that I wore for the first half of the trip too (and abandoned in costal Colombia) but the TNF pants were great for the zippered pocket and comfortable fit every time I needed to travel with my passport. Because, gently caress money belts. The pants-into-shorts thing was great too.

Yeah they don't look super sharp, but you're backpacking, not going to a Hermès grand opening.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I got one of those. It works fine for light use. Since it has no support anything odd shaped you put in it is pretty awkward to carry.

I bought one of those and it was a horrible piece of garbage. I threw it away after a month and a half of moderately heavy use. The water resistant material had all peeled away on the top of the bag, one of the zippers broke, and a whole bunch of seams were coming loose all around the backpack. One of the back straps was frayed too and probably would've given way with a few more weeks of use. It was probably the worst travel item I've ever purchased, and definitely the worst thing I bought for my 4.5 month backpacking trip. I never thought I could be so disappointed by a $20 item, but it had so many different failures that I can't even attribute it to one single failure of QC. The loose threads were already obvious when I first got it. Oh, and the liner between the tiny front pocket and the middle pocket completely disintegrated.

The water resistance was also TERRIBLE even when it was brand new. Everything was damp inside after a light rain on my first time using it. I would 100% not trust it with electronics, papers, or anything else more important than gym clothes.I took a bunch of photos of it, but I was so disheartened by it that I never even bothered to write a 1* review or make a claim with Amazon or the manufacturer. They would probably send me a new one, but I would not want it again even for free.

E: My girlfriend bought a McKinley superlight/compact backpack at the same time I bought my New Outlander one, and hers was awesome and so much better in every way. It was also like 3x the price, though. We bought it in a brick and mortar store. I guess they have them on Amazon, but I couldn't find in a quick search and I don't remember the exact model name. I couldn't find it on McKinley's website either, but their website seems to not display all their models (oddly).

VVV: That one looks nice, although it's a 15L pack and weighs a half pound more than the 20L Outlander one. In retrospect though, getting a paper-thin ultralight daypack might not be the best thing to do to save weight when packing for a long trip.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I also agree with not using a fancy daypack.

Go to your destination and get the cheapest little bag you can find and just use it.

I tend to just use plastic grocery bags if I need to carry stuff. But i mostly prefer to carry nothing but whats in my pockets these days.

in your day-to-day life do you carry a backpack all over the place? does that not sound cumbersome, especially in hot places? do you really need one traveling? probably not.

I agree you don't need them in a lot of places, but if you're going to do a bunch of single day hikes or whatever it's pretty much essential, or if you're carrying a real camera and several lenses for taking a bunch of photos so that you can post them on Facebook so that no one will ever look at them.

Also in my day-to-day life I carry a backpack all over the place? Grocery shopping, going to work, etc. I used to carry a messenger bag for years to look more professional, but honestly it was worse in every way than a backpack except it matched my suit better and I looked like a real yuppie instead of an imitation one with a suit and backpack.

E: Grocery bags are good for being inconspicuous though if you want to carry around something expensive but not have it look like it is. Just don't try that trick in Venezuela, where people might think you have a loaf of bread in there and shoot you for it :/.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 27, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

So, then, pants. What's the general opinion on the cargo variety? I bought some a couple of days ago on sale (for literally :10bux:) but I haven't worn anything like this since like ~2000 so they feel all weird and loose. I have a pair of regular casual cotton pants that I can take, and jeans.

Cargo pants make you look like a neckbeard backpacker, but OTOH they're also useful for carrying stuff, pretty comfortable, and zip-off cargo pants will be useful for your itinerary since it'll save you having to pack an extra pair of shorts for SEA.

There are some North Face zipoff cargo pants with a secret zipper pocket that have been posted here a few times. I bought one and love it for backpacking and would never under any circumstance wear it at home or anywhere where I care if people will see and judge me. It looks like they're the "Paramount Peak II" https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-paramount-peak-ii-convertible-pants . The secret zip pocket is great for carrying a phone, money, and passport around in. The dark grey ones actually look kind of acceptable. I have the default tan ones and they're pretty ugly.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, I'm going to a self-service laundry tomorrow and my clothes will be washed and dried in an hour for the grand sum of €6.50 without having to find places to hang wet clothing all around my hotel room or wash clothes in a sink like some kind of bum. Seems like the best solution, IMHO.

Depends on your preferences. Personally I much prefer to do the laundry in my hotel / apartment and spend 10 min washing everything with soap and hanging it rather than looking online or asking for the closest laundry service, dropping stuff off, and then coming back later and collect it. I guess if I was staying right next to a laundry service that'd be fine, but I can't remember that ever happening, and hotels usually charge outrageous prices (€3 to launder a pair of socks? no thanks). I usually look for places on AirBnB that have a machine washer if I'm staying somewhere ≥ 1 week though.

This is all very part-of-the-world dependent too. I'm sure in SEA the laundry services are crazy cheap.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a decent hiking backpack in the 33L or above category for less than $80 either, not counting blow out sales and Black Friday.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Icebreaker has regular sales I believe.

Going to re-ask for pants suggestions. Going on a safari, need something that's sweat resistant as gently caress.

Where for the safari? If in Kenya or Tanzania then it's going to be a LOT colder than you think, since eveything is at like 2000m elevation. Just fyi, I know some people who go there and think "Africa" and pack a bunch of shorts and freeze their asses off

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
If you care about a great fit you'll have to get it tailored or actually go in person to stores and try on a bunch until you find a perfect one, unless you already have a blazer that fit perfectly without tailoring, in which case buy the same brand and fit. By travel blazer, you mean one that won't get wrinkled? Anything in wool will work and anything in cotton won't. Anything in other fabrics will look terrible, like this monstrosity: https://wanelo.com/p/18736240/men-s-victorinox-swiss-army-water-repellent-insulated-travel-blazer

Unless you have some super specific travel needs that mixes both "business casual" and "trekking in a temperate rainforest" into a single outfit.

Or go ask the fashion subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179 (eg suit megathread)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Texibus posted:

Planning to get my girlfriend a travel bag for Christmas at around 150 bucks, what's the goon recommended bag these day? I have a Jansport Eurosack that I got after a recommendation from y'all and would love something similar. The Osprey Fairpoint 40 keeps popping up in my searches, how's that one?

I've had an Osprey Talon for a few years and love it. I spent 4 months backpacking with that as my entire storage. It was super comfortable, but with the downside that it doesn't have enough different pockets (only 3—two tiny and one huge). But, it was a good enough experience to turn me from a rolly suitcase kind of person into a backpack kind of person, even for business travel (as long as I'm not traveling with anyone else from work, at least). The Farpoint 40 looks better since it has an interior separator.

One slight benefit to the 33L is that even when it's full to the brim, it will fit inside any bus/overhead compartment/etc, while larger packs might have to be checked / thrown on the roof of the bus--in case this info is relevant to you. (I doubt the 40L would make the cut when full.) My girlfriend used a larger (50L?) backpack and we had to make sure to put all her important stuff in mine whenever we traveled, in case hers was lost or stolen. I much prefer the Osprey stuff to the Vaude and McKinley backpacks I previously owned, but it's kind of hard to know how a backpack will be until you've personally worn it and seen how it fits for you; it's almost as hard as trying to find the perfect pair of ski boots through online shopping.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

Looks a bit ugly but http://www.tortugabackpacks.com seems to get a fair amount of love.

I've heard good things about those too on travel forums, but good god they're hideous even for large hiking backpacks. Even people in a drum circle wearing strap "sport" sandals (I don't know the word for these shoes but you know what I mean) might wonder about your style choices.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Oh my God do I wish I brought my dad-core sneakers to Europe instead of the Dockers I got. Only once did anybody care, and that was in London and I could easily find another pub.

IIRC every single person said it would not be a general problem but if you want zero problems ever then don't wear a pair of trainers.

Also buy her a merino wool t-shirt or socks or whatever. Merino everything is the best ever, with the only side effect of it costing you hundreds of dollars as you will later throw your cotton clothing into the trash, where it belongs, and need to replace it with merino wool after you realize how much better merino is for traveling.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Bringing wool clothing in to New Zealand is about as dumb as bringing cheap leather goods into Mexico. Wool clothing is kind of their thing.

yrs, that's the point. If she doesn't know how nice it is she won't care and won't bother buying any.

Merino isn't going to be any cheaper in NZ. (To other poster.). That kind of thing only works when you go to third world countries that produce things or unless you go to a specific factory that does yours and has factory discounts (and tbh everything is so much cheaper in the US than anywhere else, I bet the US is still going to be cheaper than a factory tour).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

edit: it's washing and drying that seems to destroy clothes, I've started hanging all my wool based layers out to dry rather than tumble dry. Way less holes and wear.

Yeah, don't dry your wool stuff even on low heat, just hang it up to dry. I've worn my Icebreaker shirts once to twice a week for almost two years now and they're all still fine, not that ~100 wears is all that much.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah I've tried several times with refillable plastic ones and I've never really found them to have any advantage over re-using a Dasani bottle for months.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does either company have a return policy? I know some companies have an unlimited returns policy for if something breaks on their [whatever] they'll send you a new one. No idea what they do with the old ones though. Probably they toss them straight in the garbage, so if you're worried about waste that won't really help any.

Otherwise maybe you could give them away on Craiglist/your-cities-local-facebook-group. Often people want semi-broken stuff for whatever niche reason.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

So how do you guys carry cash when you travel? Are those money belts actually worth it?

If you're worried about pickpockets or poo poo falling out of your pockets, I'd just recommend getting a pair of pants that has a discrete/low-profile zipper pocket in it. I got a pair of North Face pants (Peak II) which are pretty ugly but served well for keeping passport+money in all around South America and Tanzania/Kenya for long bus rides, and even around Europe for overnight trains. A mugger might notice it if you're in a secluded place and they can take their time with you, but probably not if you're on a street and the operation is pretty quick. I've used money belts before but always found them uncomfortable. I always wondered that, if a mugger really had their time with me, would they bother checking for a money belt, or would they just take my wallet and cash? Probably the second, but I've never heard anecdotes either way. To be honest my major concern / problem with other pairs of pants is me sleeping and reclining into a bus seat and stuff falling out on its own.

Countries like Cuba, Algeria, pre-2015 Argentina, Venezuela, etc, are such a pain in the rear end in that you should take all your goddamn cash in advance for the entire trip. For any country that has reasonable usage of ATMs I no longer worry about it at all.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rhombus posted:

Call me a hipster if you want, but I use lard to grease my luggage these days. Sure it has a stronger smell, but it's all natural and I'm supporting local farmers by buying it at the farmer's market. Works great for me on both hard and soft sided bags. They come shooting down the baggage claim carousel without sticking.

I really hope this is a joke, as I've literally never seen a bag get stuck in the baggage claim carousel. Even if that was a thing that ever happened, your entire outside of the bag is the grossest solution in search of a problem I've ever heard. It's like one of those life hacks "use a piece of bacon to keep your toothbrush from falling into the sink".

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I was about to lambast you for being a total loving moron but then I remembered it was 2017 and antivax, homeopathy and Trump are things and so who knows what people do anymore.

Maybe I've spent too much time reading about people's lifehacks, which are almost always retarded ways to save 10 cents on having a jury-rigged piece of poo poo instead of an actual solution.

Like I can only imagine the vast majority, if not all of these, are intended to be serious: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/100-life-hacks-that-make-life-easier.html

"Doritos are great for kindling if you can't find any", yeah for all those times you've been camping and you've had doritos but no sticks, grasses, logs, cardboard lighter fluid, or charcoal ???. God drat. Unrolling the lid of a paper condiment holder to "increase capacity". "How to fold a fitted bedsheet" as if learning how to fold laundry properly is a lifehack.

I'd love to see the houses of people that actually do this poo poo, I bet they look like that mentally ill French Canadian goon's cooking YouTube videos, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
Edit: Masaokis, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 19, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
GPS does not need cell phone reception to work, so long as you've pre-downloaded the maps. Also if you're taking the freeways to get there you don't need a paper map as a backup since basically the instructions will be (a) follow the interstate in the correct cardinal direction until you get to San Diego. Possibly: change one time.

If you're taking state highways or backroutes it's a little different and you might want to do the most basic modicum of preparation, depending on which routes you're taking. Still, you're unlikely to ever be more than like a 30 minute drive from a gas station / rest stop unless you're coming from somewhere really out of the way or taking really bizarre routes, it's not like you'll be driving through Namibia or Western Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

Wait what? Why do you need an app when you're flying? Are you planning on bursting into the cockpit and yelling at the pilot to take a left turn at Albuquerque?

Probably for once he's in San Diego. In which case any of Google maps, Apple maps, or waze are fine since he'll always have data. Not sure how apple maps and waze are currently for traffic info.

• Locked thread