Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I wonder how many people view game design the same way ads portray them.

You can make ANIME (Also I don't see what Chic - Good Times had to do with game design).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Does having a fully fleshed out LinkedIn profile matter much in the job search? I've been more or less sitting on the account and racking up random connections, but I haven't transferred my resume.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know if LinkedIn will work for me, but exploring the website some more has led me to some pretty interesting openings. Wish me luck folks, trying to dive into the wonderful world of Community Management :coolfish:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's always fun casually checking a Studio's website for non-employment reasons, and finding out there's a job right up my alley.

Now I just have to get it :v:!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shindragon posted:

The Dark Souls 2 launch party was great. I did get a little hammered but not compared to some other people. It was really great just seeing YOU DIED all over the screen over and over again from new players. I didn't get in part of the raffle because it was really early. Besides most of the stuff they gave away is stuff I already have.

Woo, only 4 more days til the game launches!

Oof, if I'd found out about it like an hour earlier I would have tried to head to it. Unfortunately I ended up in a situation where I'd get there at 11 PM :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shindragon posted:

I know that feeling. I mean I know people already bought the game, but it's pretty hilarious seeing how bad they are it. Here at work we watch some of streams just to laugh.

edit: Didn't know you were a cali goon Studio. But yeah it was pretty packed. I was stuck in the corner with one of my coworkers for a bit. An open bar will do that. :v:

Hell, I'm not only a Cali goon, but I've been bouncing between San Jose and Orange County a lot lately, and probably will for a few more months.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm not going, but I'm in San Jose next week.

So I'll show up if someone gives me the skinny on some good parties :coolfish:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh poo poo, I have a games job that is kind of relevant to stuff! :toot: That I can do continue to do while returning to a UC, and is giving me a crazy amount of cool and varied experience.

But I can't give details out yet :confuoot:

This sucks, but in one of those ways where it's not sucky, as much as totally awesome and I'm excited to talk when I actually can.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, could somebody tell me about the differences between Expo passes and Industry passes for E3?

I know you can get an Industry pass for free if you're part of the industry, however do you get something additional for Expo passes? Or do the Expo passes give access to a different part of the convention? As far as I know it's a closed to non-industry event, so I'm not really sure about the difference in passes.

Thanks!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Gross.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

91? That's not traffic. Gimme some 55 at 7 in the morning or anywhere in Los Angeles between 12:01 A.M. and 12:00 A.M.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I used to do 5 to 55 to 405 and the gridlock between getting on the 5 and 405 was godawful. This was a few years ago and I think some of the transitions were under construction

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

How about this:
There is nothing more awful then seeing cars on a freeway overpass moving quickly, but when you get on the freeway you find out bumper to bumper traffic starts about 2 seconds after the entrance.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

If it's worth anything you could easily get by in California with owning nothing but shorts (business aside).

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Does Irvine still drive homeless people to LA county?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

So I mentioned having employment, but never said what. I'm now working on a lot of the day-to-day and marketing operations for the speedrun charity marathon SGDQ, and that might extend that into AGDQ. It's been pretty awesome and I'm really happy to be working with an awesome community for an event I already loved :toot:.

Also if anyone its going to be at E3 myself and a couple other 'GDQ guys will be there.

(Also if any press goons are around I'd love to talk)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

^^^^^That would be sick.
The 'GDQ gang is planning for a panel this year. I think it will be our first time taking directions questions outside of solo twitch streams with questionable audio quality.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

E3 makes my legs hurt :(

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The best thing about E3 is watching Police Academy in the hotel the morning after the event and just relaxing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Listen Brackhar, if you're going to keep being so incredibly helpful I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I'm getting your name tattoo'd, and that conversation will be really awkward.

Wait there are posters in this thread that don't have a Brackhar tramp stamp?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

And for $5 I'll slap some horse armor on that PM for you.

(Can I still get away with a horse armor joke in 2014?)

You'll need the Horse Armor DLC Joke Kit which I can supply for $9.99

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

What's worse, androo's post or traffic on the 91?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

What about the Wal-Mart on Anaheim Blvd. Off the 91.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

How was PAX for everyone? The speedrunning panel was great and I met so many awesome people, but then I met stik on the last day and PAX is ruined forever :mad: :mad: :mad:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Based off my 6 year old sister and her friends all playing Minecraft, the install base is waaaay bigger than most people really think.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Man, every time I app for a position I think "No sweat, if I don't get it I don't get it," but that's never true. Even for an unpaid internship that would just kill time while going to school I fret :gonk:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

superh posted:

It might be irresponsible but I find it to be my moral imperative to add as many of those effects as possible to all my games.

This reminds me to replay Electronic Super Joy.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

But how bad is the traffic? Pretty sure you need to have bad traffic to have any sort of tech development :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Jokin' about me are you >: (

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

As for working on Wildstar, looks like you dodged a big layoff by never working there :v:

Dodged that bullet is probably the most appropriate euphemism.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I have an interview for an internship. Even if I don't get it I'm excited to have a chance to strut my stuff :feelsgood:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Brackhar posted:

Best of luck dude! You're someone that I want to get a foot in the door in this industry. :)

I feel the same way ;). Luckily I have a year of school and Games Done Quick for now.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio posted:

I have an interview for an internship. Even if I don't get it I'm excited to have a chance to strut my stuff :feelsgood:

Well that interview is through. I think it went well, so now it's time to relax and let the response e-mail swim on in :coolfish:.

NOPE I'M NERVOUS :ohdear:.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What do you find is your greatest weakness?

*writes down some notes

I'm not Goku.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mutata posted:

Remind me never to work under you, sheesh.

I'll take whichever middle-point that has fun company activities, but not participating doesn't lead to a firing for not fitting company culture.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Signs an unpaid internship may no longer be available:

1) The company lays off employees due to troubles
2) The recruiter sends an e-mail going "We're not hiring anymore, but I'll double check the internship"
3) All of the formerly hiring positions, including the internship, are no longer listed.

:v: Ah well, time to hunt more internships!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mutata posted:

You should not be accepting an unpaid internship anyway.

Probably, but I'm set for school and it'd be a fun way to fill my free time.

Also do you have a paid internship for me, if so I'll gladly accept it. If not, that's not a particularly useful statement (though I agree with it)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mutata posted:

Not my job to find honest, non-exploitative jobs for you, mate. There are tons of legit internships out there. I worked 2 of them while I was in school and applied to dozens more. Unless you're going for some rare position like sound engineer or something, I guess .

And some people assume that internships are all unpaid unless the company is doing you a favor and graciously offering payment, so I threw that out there. I wasn't sure what your knowledge of things is.

In fact, unpaid internships are against federal labor laws and also super scummy. It's the kind of scam I expect cut rate, dishonest, skeezy outfits to pull (hence the mass layoffs, perhaps?) , but hey, to each their own! Enjoy!

I have my seasonal paying job (that is in games), I have school, I'm totally content with an unpaid internship that let's me branch out and get resume fodder while working for a company I think I'll like. I'm not going for anything on the software side or dev so finding internships has been difficult, especially since my return to school was fairly sudden. Would I take an unpaid when I graduate? Hell no, I know my time is worth money when I commit 40+ hours a week. Right now though it's not a huge impact.

As far as I'm aware there's a list of rules internships can follow to be unpaid, though most don't.

And I really do think that unpaid internships are a nightmare that many students get trapped in. Working too many hours, doing menial errands, and earning nothing. I don't mind walking out of that internship though.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, why aren't you doing this instead? Unless the unpaid internship is with a recognizable name (and it almost certainly won't be)

That's the thing, it was :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

What the hell is a seasonal job in games?

There are plenty of transitory jobs (hell, with a product cycle, you could argue they all are), but I'm not really familiar with a gaming season and I'm at a loss at what seasonal work there would be. Customer Support around the holidays or something?

Mmm, poor phrasing. It's event based, but the events are in December and June.