Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
What are you looking to do? Marketing / BD are usually not even in the same department at larger studios. BD is usually with sales and marketing is marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
The key to BD is to become good friends with the bartenders and restaurant managers at the W.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

This made me laugh out loud, because it's just so true. Though I'm wondering what the end goal is of becoming friends with said people. Just getting the nice/quiet spots to talk, or what?

Getting a spot or table held open for you if you aren't staying there or renting a suite for meetings. Also having drinks as soon as you get to said spot is key, can't develop your business if you're sober. Palming some cash will work in a pinch of you're in a bind, but that'll get expensive fast. Walking into the W when it's got people coming out the doors and bringing people right into something set aside on the second floor makes a pretty nice impression.

Edit: Do we have an E3 meet thread yet? I'll be there Tuesday and Thursday for sure, probably just for fun as I'm not on contract with anyone at the moment.

Acethomas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 2, 2011

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone at Cie Games down in Long Beach?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Another interview, this time with WB Mobile in Burbank, fingers crossed again this time.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just had a great interview at Sleepy Giant, restored my faith in interviews at game companies after the last couple had been really poor and disjointed.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I guess the only thing to that I could add is that often you'll need a bizdev person to help secure funding if that's an issue, but both bd and pr can be outsourced / contracted easily.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just got hit with my second you are too overqualified message. Doesn't mean I don't like work, my current contract is up in two weeks now and for the first time this year I have nothing lined up, stress!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Black Eagle posted:

You're overqualified if a) you applied for a position below your experience level, b) the employer cannot afford you, and/or c) the employer is interested in candidates who can grow with the company. There are a number of solutions, including presenting yourself as less capable (i.e., underpromise and overdeliver) or proactively addressing the issue during the appropriate interview. Search LinkedIn Answers for more ideas.

Yeah I applied a step below because it was outside of the mobile stuff I usually do and both explained it and spoke at length with them about it in the interview and they seemed happy that I wanted to grow in a new area. I think the second company was just feeding me a line because I wasn't over or under it was in-line with my last gig. Oh well back to indeed and linkedin! Already started down the list of contacts.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I guess I've landed back on the outskirts of gaming. I'm doing publisher/studio relations for a game monetization and payment option company. Spent all day today on the phone with one of the larger DD platforms we just launched in Europe. Fun times so far, already getting ready for GDC next year.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Sigma-X posted:

Who else doesn't make videogames aside from Book Eagle? I thought we were all cool kids living the dream.

I'm a cool kid

I spent most of my working life at Sierra/Vivendi/Vivendi Games Mobile before (getting laid off) becoming a contractor and now just recently left the industry to work for a company that handles financial transactions and payment specifically for game companies. Does that make me like a game middleware guy now? I'm the only game-backgrounded person in the office and my sole job is to handle game publisher/studio relations. They also pay so much more then any game company I worked for ever did I don't think I'm going back.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's standard as far as I'm aware, they ask for previous pay, verified by references. Sometimes they ask for a expected salary, which I give as a range modified for the job in question and cost of living for the location.

Thats not true at all, at least not in the US. I've gotten plenty of jobs lying about my salary. Its like references, which are pretty rarely checked. I've had pretty big jumps and no one has ever said anything to me about it. When I've hired I've either not asked (don't care) or asked and just noted it. The only time it stands out is if someone jumps up and says they made something weird.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Even the holidays can't put a halt on the job hunt for some of us. Anyone here ever worked for/with Sleepy Giant? Just interviewed with them.

Went through a couple rounds with them for ops mgr/live producer right after they moved but dropped out due to distance, great team that had great referrals from everyone I spoke too.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Awesome, everyone will have to come by my booth too, I did the design so you can all tell me how ugly it is.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
For GDC I'm usually dress shirt with sports coat and jeans or my more famous sports coat over Mr Pibb shirt with jeans which is also very effective.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Yeah I'll be at GDC Europe and Gamescomm. Also at Casual Connect Seattle in a couple weeks if anyone will be there also?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

Officially booked for Casual Connect. One of the only game conferences I haven't been to before, but I hear good things. Anyone else going?

I will be there with Virtual Piggy, who are you with?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm with Kabam. Seems like a few goons are going; we should grab lunch or drink until we no longer feel pain.

I'm down. I am eating Monday with Meteor then I should be free for lunch on Tues/Wed. Probably open for dinner/drink Monday night.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone have a list of Casual Connect after parties? I went to the Open Feint one last year, it was pretty great. Definitely want to get in on more networking and free drinking again this year.

Their site has the official ones for each night, aside from that Pocket Gamer and Global Collect are having some. Aquarium party should be good this year too. I'll see if I can find any more but I'm already at three things a night.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'd be interested too. Was just planning to go to the main parties at this point.

Anyone going to GDC Europe/Gamescom?

I'll be at both of those and at Get Games/ Unite 2012 after in Holland.
I won't see my apartment for a month at this point when you include DRS in Boston the week ahead of GDCE/GC.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Maide posted:

I've been working remote for the past 3~ years for S2Games, and last week I finally become eligible for my visa to work in the US. So I packed my car and moved to the from Canada and all the fun stuff that comes with that. Yay! :toot:

Moving down to Kalamazoo? Say hi to Shawn Tooley for me, tell him Jason says to return my drat email.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
If anyone is around Gamecom my booth is in hall 6, near the wristband station. This show gets more ridiculous every year.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Just saw this for all the California devs- nice bit of humanity:

Of course, this place being what it is, I'm wondering if they get away with, like, firing five employees every day for a week or something, or somehow otherwise abuse the definition of "Mass" firings.

I got a nice extended notice when they closed my part of Vivendi down. Score one for CA law.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Shalinor posted:

Lots of cool Unity announcements have already hit from Unite. Most notable to me, is that they're partnering up with Xsolla - one of the best desktop-side options for IAP payment handling. That'll close the pretty glaring gap of doing F2P Unity games on desktop platforms.

(it's payment type agnostic... it's set up to work world wide, with everything from PayPal to individual bank accounts being used for payments, and the developer never has to think about any of it)

I'm happy to answer any questions on both Xsolla (my former job) and Virtual Piggy (my current job). Both are new service providers for Unity. I'm actually at the conference this week and the keynote was fantastic, as was Peter's special keynote afterwards. I've never been so jazzed for a cube breaking game in my life, guy is very inspiring.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Another one of my friends in BD/Sales got cut today, tough time to be doing Business Development in Los Angeles, looks like I may head up to SF if they want to move up there. If anyone has any spots for BD let me know and I can connect everyone.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
So I just got back from LOGIN and now I'm heading to GDC Online shortly, who all will be there and where are we partying?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Yes, I'll be there. Set a place!

I'm exploring some of the parties right now to see whats up, so far I have the Pocket Gamer and Playspan parties and I'm leaning toward the PS one because I like those guys better and its 9pm-Dead. Once I have some more options I'll set one and get the RSVP info out so we can all go. Otherwise we can pick a time during the day to hit up my booth (816).

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

So we're a week out, and I've seen interest in a goon meet, but anyone got ideas for anything concrete? We need something like the San-Fran Checvy's, somewhere close to the convention and accessible that goons can just show up to and know there'll be other goons at.

If someone else wants to suggest a spot that would be great.

As it stands right now I'm trying to secure a large number of invites to the Playspan party to use that as a goon meet.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Anyone here work at Sleepy Giant? Just got kind of an odd e-mail from them...

I know a couple guys from there if no one steps up, feel free pm me.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Long shot here, but does anyone work for Papaya Mobile in SF, I just got a poke about working there and I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on whats up.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Well thank loving christ, finally got in at a place in LA. Not exactly dead-on my career track, but it's a job in the industry and I've got a really good friend who works there already. :unsmith::hf::toot:

Awesome to hear!
Anyone going up to Game Monetization USA next week? I'll be there all week for meetings.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone at CES? I'll be there Tues-Thurs and will be at the Game Summit on Thursday.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone at DICE? I'm heading out there tomorrow for the go karting and poker game.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I just left my role at Kabam to join Z2Live where I will be heading up their publishing/BD department. Also where I may die from frostbite due to living in California my whole life before this.

Awesome!
One of the first guys I ever worked with is the CEO of Z2Live right now. Been great to see him make it.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Got my ticket allocation for E3 finally. Last minute, to be sure, but I might have a spare ticket or two for a goon if you're just dying to get in...

I have not received any feedback on my tickets other then, we got your industry creds. No approval or denial. I'd love to be able to get in and am happy to help work your booth if you need it, my company cancelled their booth this year so I'm pretty free.

Also, I have a recruiter friend looking for a manager/director of payments and fraud at a game company in Austin, PM me if you know anyone or are interested.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone around casual connect next month? My company is speaking so I'll be around as backup.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anyone else in town for Casual Connect or am I going to have to destroy my liver alone?

I'm here, hiding in the Yosemite room at my little table. Look for orange pigs.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Is it to soon to ask who will be at GDC Europe / Gamescom? I'm flying out during the weekend and will be there all week.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Will anyone be at DICE next week? We should team up for the go-kart tournament. I'll be there Tuesday to Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
At DICE if anyone is around.