Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

She’s such a pretty bird!

I took this video the other day. I’m in big trouble if they figure out how to use the dog door!
https://youtu.be/brYwclm7Jv4

We’ve been having beautiful weather and the hens are ramping up the egg laying. Friday they laid 23 and yesterday they laid 18. I usually take my extras to the food bank if I don’t sell them before the refrigerator fills up. What do you guys like to do with your extra eggs?

Scramble and freeze for when we don't have eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

a hawk could shred that in a breath

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Imagined posted:

I suspected as much. I'll get to work upgrading it sooner rather than later then.

chicken wire is nice for projects like landscaping, but it's woefully named. You want hardware cloth. Use fence loops instead of zipties. It takes a bit longer, but it holds up to almost anything.

Being totally honest, I don't have a roof over my entire chicken coop. but I have a very angry llama that protects it, a lot of guardian dogs near it, and a roo with 2-3" spurs that has absolutely ruined small raptor days in the past (though they got away). I figure if they get through that, well, okay then.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BHB posted:

he's actually a grandpa, Seramas just stay really small. I think as a breed they're fairly new? they're very tiny and very cute.

they're 45-50 years old or so. they're weird little chickens but popular as hell right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Gonna see if I can keep my chickens alive in 107-111f (41-44c) heat for the next three days.

hottest I've ever done was 123F heat index. I threw out some Sonic ice in their covered areas, which are built to maintain temperature. the temp in their new cool huts was about 75-80 while the 20 pounds per house of ice melted. the heat broke the next day. they liked pecking it.

Joburg posted:

That’s good to hear. We are possibly going to coastal Georgia, so it will be hot and humid both. Here in WY it gets pretty hot in the summer but it’s very dry and cools down at night. Having hot and muggy weather will be a big change for them.

Howdy I'm near Augusta. It's hot and poo poo and you'll probably die of covid before your chickens die of the heat. Zapdos is a buff orpington and we just lost Sprinkles, the elderly frizzle that was full of hatred, to you know; existing past 3 years old and being a tractor supply bird. I have 0 heat issues.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

To be fair, I've still enjoyed your horrifically tragic quailsplosion stories.

I currently don't have the little idiots but I may invest in them again when we move to our Final Destination because it feels appropriate. See if I can work to make quails that lay pink eggs instead of all whites and all browns. Then I can post about their terrifying deaths.

Remember that time I tried to do a hatchalong with quail eggs in GBS and I got some nice chicks then they all loving died in the 12 minutes I was outside and their heater malfunctioned?

E: also nobody listens to me but I don't generally run my big stupid fat ugly mouth unless I have a clue. Quail are awesome. They die spectacularly. I think your long-rear end experiment was ultimately a failure, but it was pretty fascinating to see how long they did manage to survive. I mean, some of them did incredibly well considering they're quail. It's just, they're tiny bottom-of-the-food-chain nuggets on legs for almost everything. You're sweet and you care a lot about them, but you gotta kind of look at them like... I dunno, the rat thread used to look at rats. They cared, but they all knew they were going to explode with cancer at any time and whoops, that's it. Except with quail, they're charging directly into the light and cackling wildly about it as you scream "nooooo".

every day for quail is a glorious day to die.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 10, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

shoot her up with vitamins instead of trying to get her to drink enough IU:W.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

For what it's worth, I think there's an aspect of animal husbandry and pet owning that will always have you doubting yourself, because we're just longer lived than so many of the animals we keep around us. There will always be loss, there will always be pain, there will always be "gently caress, that was a mistake I'm the worst this wouldn't have happened if I wasn't an idiot, I should've taken them to the vet sooner or made sure I closed the gate properly or paid more attention."

Making a mistake isn't a moral failing. It's human. And it's possible to make no mistakes and still lose.

I think you did well by your quail while you had them.

Well, one or two mistakes sure but like, it's been a lot of quail.

But they were also trying to free-range them and that's literally impossible without huge losses, which is why people who raise them to keep them around for eggs or whatever usually don't do that. I think it's sweet that they wanted to let them be happy, lively animals but gods, those little quail heads are literally full of air. They're so dumb. So sweet and so incredibly, painfully dumb.

I had one chick escape and throw itself down a dog's throat literally. It just fluttered straight into the dog's mouth. Like some goddamn pre-uber eats delivery. The dog was so surprised she spit it out and then the quail chick died of shock ten seconds later (probably because it was surprised to be alive).

So it's less a mistake and just a failed experiment, but they definitely tried real hard and the quail they had were very spoiled rotten.

E: This doesn't mean people should avoid them. They make shitloads of eggs and they're super easy to keep if confined. It's just like, they Mr. Magoo directly to death if given the chance. Any chance. They can popcorn and kill themselves if their cage is too tall because their necks are these lovely, tiny little things and they just loving pop right apart if they get the slightest bonk on the head. And sometimes they randomly decide to murder one of their cage mates by literally pecking their brains out for absolutely no reason.

Gah, the temptation to go buy some hatching eggs on ebay grows the more I talk about these idiots.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 11, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

If you were to keep a small number not free range, what would you need to do it right? You mentioned making a structure. Could you meet in the middle and keep a small number without them having the run of the outdoors?

I've always believed a fat, happy, and loved bird is not being deprived some sort of human invented expectation of freedom. Just my take, though. Not trying to start any fights.

There is no way to do it right. These birds are basically mice birds and are eaten by everything under the sun. Throwing them out to free range is basically just feeding whatever wants to eat them. It's literally like tossing a box of mealworms in your chicken coop and expecting them to safely free range. Big tractors are nice for them, though, and can give them plenty of room. A lot of people let them run around their greenhouses which is basically a goddamn palace for such dumb, tiny little plorps and it's good for insect control, but you still have to deal with the escapees that commit suicide the second they see the sun.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Imagined posted:

I inherited the house I grew up in and so I can make a direct comparison to my experience of the same yard 40 years ago and it's just horrifying how many fewer birds there are nowadays in the same place. There were so many birds they were almost a nuisance when I was a kid. Now you never see double digits at any one time, anywhere, at any part of the year. It's so sad. The wild population of every species has just been decimated. We put out feeders and have even let half our back yard grow wild and still, just a trickle of birds (or bees ☹️).

Give us a picture of the back yard and an area you live, you might need to throw down some plants to get them back and then we can suggest which ones.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

perepelki posted:

fb is like a cantankerous but good-hearted chicken shaman whose ghost astral projects into my head every time i kill a quail to tell me i'm a dumbass

I'm a bitchy old rear end in a top hat because I'm perpetually broke from trying to help people and do things right with my farm and also the military drains the gently caress out of your finances when your spouse is stationed across the country, and I've seen a lot of bad poo poo happen to good animals on and off the forums when I've either advised poo poo that could help or was too late to do so and hated myself for not being able to help.

But drat I will write a fuckin' novel to try to fix poo poo for some dumb animal I'll never meet.

I also cuss a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

I don't think you're really a dumbass. I think that there's a space for experimenting in husbandry. I probably would have quit a bit earlier, but you saw little birds who really wanted to have happy lives and went hey, this is what wild would be like for them! So you tried to replicate that. And... I mean, technically you were successful, just, success means death to quail.

Right now I've got a ewe whose udder has ligament damage. I intended to breed her one more time with proper udder support throughout her pregnancy in the hopes I'd get a nice little ewe lamb off of her and I could retire the ewe. Instead, she pops up surprise pregnant and her udder is the size of a mountain and she just will not drop this drat lamb(s). Like, come on ewe. Freaking animal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

perepelki posted:

the actual raven in question.

i have an interesting relationship with this poo poo of a thing now. whenever i go outside it flutters down and hangs out with me, and has the audacity to perch on top of the quail cage and look at me like "well?"

maybe you should hurry it up with the quail nuggets, dang it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

perepelki posted:

but i still don't leave them unattended in the day cage for more than about 15 minutes at a time.

They're gonna explode like that bird does in Shrek 1

quote:

e: also, the raven has a fluffy little idiot fledgling baby who now lives in our yard and is my friend (?). it's the shiniest, most well-fed baby i've ever seen.

eat raven chick

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

:neckbeard:

I made the 1700 mile, 2 day trip to Georgia this weekend. I moved 17 chickens, and boy do 17 chickens in a van stink!

Yeah when we move we're looking at 1000-1200 miles. I'm killing every poultry I have because nobody wants 3-6 year old birds for anything but the stew pot (which is fine, but a lot of these people don't know what the hell they're doing. I wouldn't mind it if a processor was interested but giving them to Matilda Anne with a brick ain't my bag) before we leave here because I'm sure as hell not doing that. They'll be great dog food, assuming they don't just pass naturally between now and then.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've got four huge fat meat birds to murder some time this week (hopefully tomorrow) and just, god drat, I always forget how big they get at the end.

At least we've got a nice table centerpiece for my upcoming religious holiday!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

I tried some Rainbow Rangers this year and I won’t ever do that again. Large Marge raised them with the huge brood and they got around pretty well when they were small. By the time they were about 5 weeks they were having difficulties doing what the other chicks did. It made me sad to see them fail at jumping up to the 4” high roost bar. From now on it’s only skinny heritage chickens for me.

these dudes are like 3 months old-ish but have been exercised gently because I wanted nicer fat on them. rainbow rangers should be butcher ready around 12-16 weeks. little surprising about 5 weeks being so wild.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

no you see spookygonk has to be terrified for some meat birds that are gonna be dead in 3 weeks anyhow

hell if I was a meat bird, a death bath of food sounds like a wild way to go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

spookygonk posted:

I have disliked factory farming every since getting ex-battery hens.

I've disliked it for decades and I'm a vegetarian of nearly 20 years, but :ohdear: ing over that picture, my dude, even if they were dead it's faster than the truck to the slaughterhouse.

Enfys posted:

The pure joyful surprise I had when I was vaguely curious and clicked on this:

and was greeted with this:

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveaduck/status/1441086938409160704

good lord, a literal orb. Never have I desired to boop a bird but now I do.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I don’t eat chicken unless it’s specifically sourced from a small farm. Which means I don’t eat much chicken.

Yes, I am sure I’m being hypocritical in a multitude of ways. But putting chicken in my mouth that lived a miserable life not only makes me feel bad, it tastes bad. Gristly, stringy, and plain gross meat comes from 99% of the grocery stores.

Agreed. Good meat comes from the woods and farms that let them be animals (like mine). I roasted a whole venison ham in the crock pot all day today (it's a holiday) and it looks like food, not sad whatever the hell all the chicken breast at the store looks like.

Ground beef usually looks like playdough until you get it from somewhere the cattle actually got to move around. Then it's this dark, rich stuff and people are confused by it. It's heartbreaking.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

perepelki posted:

i would kill a man to taste a fluffy bunnies (tm) free-range chicken

you can take a side of lamb at the same time, too.

Nettle Soup posted:

When I was in highschool we had a cooking lesson where we a made stir-fry. It was a special school with only 30-odd students, so it was all open-plan and the school provided the ingredients.

They'd bought a big pack of the absolute cheapest frozen chicken breasts you could find and threw them in. The smell of it filled the whole place, and it still haunts me, it was like burnt plastic. I refused to try it or take it home, and it took me a good 10+ years to trust stir-fry. I never really ate chicken again.

I mean, that might be because of their lovely cookware, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Commercial chicken breast sucks. Good chicken breasts are on 2 year old roosters that are mostly tenderloin and taste like how chicken soup smells.