Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

JBRONSON posted:

she was at the Hollywood one the otherday.
picked up some girls, margrudergrind, burzum, chealsea wolfe.

its about $28 for a new lp. and $35 for doubles in Australia. pretty poo poo

Where the hell are you finding prices like those? All my locals have new release LPs for roughly $39-$59 depending who it's from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Harry Privates posted:

Death From Above 1979's You're a Woman I'm a Machine is being repressed on pink vinyl for record store day. Only 1000 copies in Canada only. The label will be putting some on their website.

Serious question anyone here in Canada that would be willing to pick one up and ship it to me? I will pay for shipping and the record and throw in a five spot too. That is if I don't get one online.

I literally left Canada two days ago. A week out from RSD. And now I'm in Australia. A place where my favourite band probably won't ship poo poo to.

gently caress

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Was able to get one of the Dinosaur Jr - BUG at the 9:30 Club limited edition vinyls the other day, as well as Cerebral Ballzy's live EP and S/T 12".

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Holy hell the Fat Possum $10 sale is awesome if you're overseas. 5 records and $17 shipping to Australia, and it took less than a week for my poo poo to get over here.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Finally grabbed a copy of DFA1979's RSD reissue for less than $80 (although it's around $80 after shipping to Australia, I guess but still) as well as Andrew WK's "I Get Wet" reissue. Have also been able to find a few of the DFA1979 7"s on Ebay, and considering they're my favourite band I'm justifying the cost to myself easily. Next will be getting all the LCD Soundsystem stuff I can get my hands on.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I was so angry when I missed that Goon's vinyl sale that had the DFA1979 Heads Up Ep for $40. They're my favorite band as well.

God I want to find that so bad.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Reddit alerted me to the fact that Hot Topic have a 50% off deal, using these codes:

$15 off $30: AK74RQS5
$30 off $60: Bt16fjx8
$45 off $90: ???
$60 off $120: ???
$75 off $150: EC35UKD9

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Music/Vinyl.jsp

Grabbed Bloc Party, Foo Fighters, The Smashing Pumpkins and At The Drive-In, and some various 7"s and it covered the cost of shipping; still about half the price of what it cost to buy them locally.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

This is how us Australians experience record buying every time. I just paid $43 for shipping on one thing, pictures to come when it arrives I guess (it is heavy though). I'd guess I usually pay $15-20 for shipping on one record, aside from the likes of Amazon and a few big eBay sellers that probably have deals worked out with the post services.

I've bought quite a bit from eBay the last couple of weeks and one big huge massive order from Hot Topic (because of that 50% off thing and terrible local prices on those releases) and the most I've paid for shipping was $23 for 5xLPs and 2x7"s. Then today I bought Trash Talk's new album for $15 and postage was $20 :(

Finally got a decent record player today, an old school Hitachi with a Shure cartridge. Turns out the spike on the platter is too big for my Dinosaur Jr. Bug - Live at the 9:30 12". Don't want to push it down because the record is pretty limited and the jewel of my collection at this point (at least until my DFA1979 RSD release comes because that is gonna make me drool). Anything I can do?

Also, I'm running the turntable direction into my Logitech Z5500's at the moment through the stereo cables from the turntable, but there's a green wire as well; I assume that plugs into amps to ground it?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

synthetik posted:

There should be a grounding screw on the back of your amp that the green wire hooks to. Does it have a prong on the end of it?

Don't have a proper amp+speaker set up yet (that's what I'm saving for now, after I build my display cabinet over the coming weeks), so I've just got the stereo output plugging straight into the Z5500 controller - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So, my DFA1979 record came today...and it was the black repress that's still available for $18 though the labels website. The seller on discogs had put it up under the wrong listing; managed to get a partial refund and keep the record, but holy gently caress I was pissed off at first.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Man, I'm so happy. I finally found a copy of DFA1979's Heads Up EP on Discogs. Now I've only got some 7"s and the pink repress of You're A Woman, I'm A Machine to go and I'm set.

Favourite band vinyl collections get expensive :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

How much did you spend on the ep?

$120 including shipping. DFA are really the only band that I'm willing to spend that much on records for (and probably will have to shell out for that much again for the pink reissue of the album). It's only a black copy, and not a clear one; only 200 were pressed of the clear version, 800 of the black version. If the opportunity was to present itself for a clear version though, I'd probably fork out for it again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Harry Privates posted:

My friend found a copy used at a record store in Minnesota for $10. He bought it and sold it for $40. Super dumb move I thought.

I doubt I'd ever be able to find a copy locally however (being in Australia kind of sucks balls for this sorta stuff; it's only after their reunion at Coachella and appearance at a festival over here that the CD has been stocked as more than "special order" at retail stores) and I'd come to terms when I decided to get the entire available discography on vinyl that I'd pay a fair amount for it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Well goddamn I am tempted. I was going to blow this months LP money on the DFA79 album I've been chasing, because a dude was willing to lower his price on a few Femme Fatale releases as well, but that looks gorgeous.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

I, Butthole posted:

Well goddamn I am tempted. I was going to blow this months LP money on the DFA79 album I've been chasing, because a dude was willing to lower his price on a few Femme Fatale releases as well, but that looks gorgeous.

Decided to get this and it's sold out. Dang.

e: Bought the regular soundtrack, because why not. First vinyl I've had shipped from Bandcamp overseas that cost less than $15 in shipping.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

traveling midget posted:

poo poo, that thing sold out quick.

EDIT: A Disappointed Owl PM'ed me a link to the red vinyl /500: http://mail.getondown.com/album.php?id=15601

and an 'exclusive' bundle that's kinda a sub-bundle of the Deluxe Bundle: http://mail.getondown.com/album.php?id=15617

Yeah, I ended up grabbing that one as well. Kind of came about at the right time as well, as I just watched Kill Bil Vol 1 and 2 and got in the mood for some RZA-soundtrackin'.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dflanny posted:

I got this sweet 40cm or so long rectangular basket which is the perfect width for housing 7 inches froma HSW a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still sell them though.

There's also a place near me called Economy Warehouse which has huge range of cane baskets that are suitable, but I think that store is Tasmanian only.

pfft, just build your own solution :smug:

Here's where I'd put posters if I could get the motivation to actually finish my cabinet. Hopefully this weekend :(

Heads up to any Australians that like punk/rock/indie sorta stuff; the mag Veri.Live is awesome. Printed out on Melbourne and mainly focussing on stuff out of there, it comes with a 7" every issue. This month it's Dinosaur Jr. and The Jim Jones Revue, but it's had poo poo like Mark of Cain, Opeth, Children Collide, Jackson Firebird and a pretty big variety of others. It's a great mag as well.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

If I had more money I'd probably subscribe to this. Maybe some other time :(

I find it gives me an excuse to head to my local store and spend more money than I usually do every two months. It stimulates the economy!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

Yeah I usually stop in at a record store on my way home from uni tutoring once a week but I have basically no money and I am saving to go to the US next year, so I can't just drop $100 on impulse buys anymore. I will just save it for record store hopping around the states :v:

I'm doing the same thing, heading over to SXSW for the third year in a row; however, my girlfriends going ahead and meeting me in LA on her way back/my way through, so I can send her home with a carry-on bag of records from Amoeba :v:

Just found a decentish Marantz amp and some speakers that are probably better than the ones I have now on eBay for $65 total, super close to me for pick up as well. Right now my turntable is only going through my Logitech Z5500 mini-amp and speakers, so it'll be nice to get something better. At least, until I can save up and splurge on a decent new amp+speakers.

PS, if you like Bleeding Knees Club they've just released a 7" limited to 50 editions earlier today: http://velvetdrag.bigcartel.com/product/limited-edition-have-fun-bad-guys-7-only-50

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dflanny posted:

If only I had the skills :smith:

I've literally fallen over my own feet going up stairs so it's not really that bad. If you've got a plywood supplier you can get a sheet cut so all you have to do is paint + screw it together for about $280 or so; over the past fortnight I've been spending weekend measuring and cutting and it's cost me about $105 total ($90 for the ply, $6 for paint and the rest on screws and brackets, and borrowing friends/parents hardware) and it'll hopefully be done this weekend; it's only sanding and painting from here out. I'll post pictures when it's done, and I could probably post some plans and poo poo if anyone likes the look of it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Going to my first record fair on Sunday to suss things out. Finally got a full set up now as well; a second hand RS33 JVC amp and Beovox 3702 speakers from eBay for $55. The Beovox only have two original speakers on each box, but still sound pretty great.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Holy crap the Man With The Iron Fist soundtrack is going to be badass; listening to the digital download and it's awesome. Can't wait to give it a spin.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

eggsovereasy posted:

Shipping is high to the US ($10), but $40 total is a lot more palatable than $74.

bwahaha. I've had to pay $15 shipping for a 7" before to Australia. I'd kill for $10 shipping from other countries.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

I'm in south east Queensland and there were only two stores before now that sold vinyl in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and they only had 50ish records each.

hey there Brisbane buddy

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Might have to get along to this.

Another Brisbane gem is Tym Records/Guitars in the Valley in Winn Lane (behind the Zoo); awesome selection of punk/rock stuff as well as a great deal of local stock.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

I got some cool stuff but my budget ran out after the third store so I didn't get to go to two of the stores I wanted to, but oh well.

This is interesting for me because I haven't actually heard any of these albums in full yet.

Where'd you go? I know one of my photographer mates had his friends spread out over four different stores (JCBM, Tyms, Rockinghorse and Record Exchange) and I'm interested in seeing what the crowds are like. More than likely I'll end up going into Tyms tomorrow to pick up a backlog of online ordered stuff and pick over the remains.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

I started at Rockaway at Carindale, was done there by about 9:30 and then drove in to West End and went to JCBM (they have like, nothing left btw) and Egg Records. Egg didn't have any RSD stuff at all but drat I love Egg Records :allears:

Didn't expect JCBM would, but considering what they had shipment wise compared to what they put in I didn't not expect that. I'll probably end up looking on eBay in four months and getting most stuff people are trying to flip for close to retail price anyhoo. The only real thing that I want is that Reservoir Dogs soundtrack and Sigur Ros...and they're from last year, but for some reason Australia's only getting it this year?

Ah well, Tym's it is tomorrow for the new Wavves and The Downward Spiral for my NIN collection!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

The store I started at had a few copies but I think they all went in the first 5ish minutes. They're pretty readily available on the internet anyway

Yeah, it's just the :10bux: at the moment. I should just sell my stupid Jack White invert thunderbolt and get that and a new normal copy of Blunderbuss.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

Yeah, this is why I bought it from them. $11 priority shipping is the best thing, it seriously only took like a week to get here. The only thing I've had faster was InSound's UPS (which was $22, 5 days from order placing to arriving).

Yeah, all the stuff I've ordered through them has been in mailers. Bad luck maybe?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Oh man this is the first thing in the entire thread to make me jealous as hell. War of the Worlds was the first record my parents let me play way way way back when, and I spent hours poring over the artwork and listening to the album (and subsequent weeks having nightmares about the aliens, because I was like, five)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Please guys, help an aging corporation crowd fund something that's at the highest sales level since 1997: http://ssl.mtab.tv/uvinyl/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

Barnes & Noble are having a sale, 50% off on selected records. There's some good poo poo in there, I ordered a copy of In The Court of the Crimson King with priority shipping to Australia for $25.

Wow, I grabbed the NIN Pretty Hate Machine remaster and LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening with a few 50% off Criterion blu rays, and it was only $16 for priority shipping. Awesome.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
HA HA JESUS CHRIST COLLECTING RECORDS SEEMS LIKE A GREAT loving IDEA UNTIL YOU HAVE TO MOVE

HOLY poo poo MY ARMS

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Thankfully I've only got three crates worth, and using it to justify buying a bunch of Expedit stuff from Ikea. Any recommendations for boxes that fit within that for 7"s?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Has anyone else noticed that Outer Battery vinyl is very...fragrant? I've had the Dinosaur Jr Bug Live At 9:30 Club and thought it might have just been the screenprinted cover, but I just grabbed the Off! Live at 9:30 Club and it's the same kinda deal. As far as I know it's not a screenprinted cover either.

Both are coloured vinyl, but I've not noticed any of my other vinyl smelling the same. It's a pretty oily, just-printed kinda smell. Not bad, but it's kinda like "whoa"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

While everyone else is peddling their poo poo I also have some poo poo to peddle. I am selling a few OOP things on eBay which I have listened to like once and can't justify keeping.

godFUCKINGdammit I would have handed over $150 for both of those Batman OSTs and picked them up on Thursday fellow Brisgoon :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

My Barnes & Noble 50% off purchase just arrived and it's all kinds of :psyduck:

Looks like it came to Australia via France? The AUSTRALIA part of the address is basically impossible to read so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also damaged in transit in this stupid rear end box :shepface:

Luckily the disc and cover are perfectly fine though. I still have no idea if I actually paid for this, I cancelled the order but they sent it anyway so I am not sure if they ever charged me.

I got three separate packages from B&N, one from the US (which took the longest to arrive), one via the UK and one via Singapore. No clue what goes on with their shipping.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

They should make it a double LP with the Judgment Night soundtrack and call it "this is what the 90s were like".

Or double it with The Twilight Zone movie soundtrack and call it "This Bundle Is Killer"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why am I thinking about buying a backup bookcase?

Because worse comes to worse they're tailored for a market that has a history of being consistently able to flip old, discontinued things at a reasonably high margin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Creature posted:

Red Eye Records in Sydney have put their unsold RSD stock online. It updates twice daily as orders go in. I grabbed the Devo/Flaming Lips 7" (now seems to be sold out) and Butch Devo & The Sundance Kid.

http://www.redeye.com.au/iAsk.asp?reion=USA

My local had about 5 copies of that bright green Ghostbusters single. Everyone was picking it up, laughing at it, then putting it back in the crate. Should have grabbed a few copies as it seems to be in demand now.

I saw some store asking $55 for it. I couldn't be bothered.