Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Surfingelectrode posted:

Bought the LCD Soundsystem live box and an original copy of Velvet Underground at Max's Kansas City today:

The LCD box has to be one of the nicest LP box sets I've ever seen. It's obvious that a lot of love and care went into putting the whole package together. And the music itself sounds fantastic.

The only annoying thing is that the sides are split for DJs with two turntable setups, so it's split up like this:

Record 1 side a
Record 2 side b
Record 1 side c
Record 2 side d
Record 3 side e
Record 4 side f
Record 5 side g
Record 3 side h
Record 4 side i
Record 5 side j

Jesus, I wonder if the regular non-RSD release will be like that as well?

Trash Talk's new LP is up for pre-order on their site, as well. Black or limited edition colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Kevar posted:

Watch this poo poo be like $40.

I love being in Australia and seeing a comment like this so I can be confused for two seconds like "so, what, regular retail?"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I bought the LP he released of that, it sounds pretty crazy. Especially when you get further into it and the records fall slightly out of synch with one another.

Is there anywhere to buy this online? I'd be more interested in this than getting an actual copy of the White album.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
This looks loving incredible and only partway makes up for the fact that I have no Lightning Bolt on vinyl: http://famousclass.com/product/brian-chippendale-and-greg-saunier-lp/

quote:

Hand Numbered Edition of 500 on Electric Blue vinyl with White splatter. Comes with free MP3 download plus video of the entire performance and the documentary ‘Checking in at 20′.

Brian Chippendale and Greg Saunier, a limited edition LP/film of the two old friends’ first attempt at playing together as a drum duo. Recorded live at Death By Audio in June of 2013, these two relentless, breakneck improvisations (entitled “Side A” and “Side B”) show their interactions – one moment lost in cacophonous bliss, the next moment egging each other on to snowballing ludicrousness – in all their fascinating detail and deafening glory. Plus for once you get to see Brian with his mask off!

‘Brian Chippendale and Greg Saunier‘ is released in conjunction with the documentary ‘Checking in at 20′ out now on Death By Audio Films. https://www.deathbyaudiofilms.com

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

rear end Catchcum posted:

Have no idea who they are but snagged because I love drums and documentaries.

Brian Chippendale is the drummer from Lightning Bolt, and Greg Saunier is the drummer in Deerhoof. If you love drums, check out both bands because holy poo poo.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

bowmore posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released 30 copies of all their albums they've released so far that are sold out, I just barely managed to grab a copy of Eyes Like The Sky before everything sold out in like 2 minutes. Man this record business is tough.

I just realised that my OG pressing of 12 Bar Bruise (and the cassette they sent because the pressing was delayed) might be worth some actual factual cash nowadays.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
There's a store in my city (Brisbane) that has people lining up from midnight the night before. Why.

I went to my local that opened at 10AM, got there at 10:30, had a nice chat with the owner and some mates around the store, and went digging. Got No Age - An Object and A Place To Bury Strangers S/T for $10 each, A Savage God S/T for $25, the variant of the Haze XXL/No Anchor collaboration on Amphetamine Reptile Records from last year, the only two RSD exclusives of TYM31 and TYM32 from the owners label (which is rad and if you have any interest in Australia's scene you should check out at http://tym-records.com/), and 4 back issues of a magazine called Veri.Live that's unfortunately shutting down at the end of the year. I was out of the store by 11 and it was great.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Jet Black Cat Music, I walked past there on the way to my car and people were sitting down out the front.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Sooooo I really don't like Mondo's practices in general but the Mad Max soundtrack was so loving great that I want to buy a regular rear end copy at whatever price they sell it at. Am I going to have to stay up for 24 hours trying to figure out when they go on sale due to my crazy timezone?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Dogen posted:

Is it one of their weirder limited ones? If not you can find it at any record store who carries them fairly easily. They have a bunch of copies of Looper, Drive, Halloween, etc. at Waterloo in Austin.

It doesn't sale that it any info I can find on it but who loving knows. I'm keen to pay $35 for it but not $200 on discogs later on down the track.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Saw these guys today.

They signed my thing.

and this one too. They said they hadn't seen one of these in years and asked if they could keep it (my friend got them signed for me, otherwise I'd have given it to them)

Argh this post makes me jealous. When they finally come back to Australia I'll be following them around the country and will be trying to get my Romantic Rights and maybe Heads Up EPs signed.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Spinning the new crown jewel of my collection.

I've never known how badly I've wanted that until now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So is Discogs pretty much the best place to sell collectible vinyl? I've got a first-press King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard 12 Bar Bruise which currently has two copies listed at $525 and $1000, and wouldn't mind using it to fund a replacement turntable for my currently broken one.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Any other Australians in here? Thinking of selling a fair chunk of my collection so I can get over to Outside Lands in San Francisco in August/stop drowning in crushing debt. Is it kosher to chuck things up for sale in here?

Could sell to the US/overseas as well - postage would be bloody murder, but the Australian dollar is terrible so you might get a good deal!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm just going shelf by shelf at the moment. Everything's in good/played condition, if there's any real bad cover marks I'll make note

Andrew WK - I Get Wet 10th Anniversary - 2x LPs, white vinyl, scuff marks on bottom of jacket
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3843436?ev=rb

Arcade Fire - Funeral, few scuff marks on bottom of jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/release/409021

Big Blak - Once You Go Blak, gently caress knows, got this at a flea market so you can have this for free with anything else?
https://www.discogs.com/Baby-Blak-Once-You-Go-Blak/release/1640604

Beach House - Bloom, few scuff marks at bottom etc
https://www.discogs.com/Beach-House-Bloom/release/3599039

Bloc Party - Four, few scuff marks at bottom, seam split (about 8cm?) on inner jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Bloc-Party-Four/release/3831299

Cerebral Ballzy - s/t, few scuff marks at bottom, seam split (about 4cm?) on inner jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Cerebral-Ballzy-Cerebral-Ballzy/release/3051889

Daft Punk - R.A.M, pretty much mint aside from a few scuff marks on the bottom of the jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Daft-Punk-Random-Access-Memories/release/4570366

Death Grips - Exmilitary (BOOTLEG, babby's first), pretty much mint
https://www.discogs.com/Death-Grips-Exmilitary/release/6420788

Degreaser - Bottom Feeder (hella good and on Brisbane's best now defunct label), pretty mint
https://www.discogs.com/Degreaser-Bottom-Feeder/release/3268025

Eagulls - s/t, pretty mint condition
https://www.discogs.com/Eagulls-Eagulls/release/5564366

Various - Ennio Morricone Remixes Volume 1, average condition
https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Remixes-Volume-1/release/194956

I'll probably annoy the thread more if there's actual interest in some of the bullshit I've got but honestly take a look at the discogs pages and make an offer, can always send through detailed pictures of any scuffs/damage to jackets etc. as far as I know they all play fine (no download codes either), but I've been without a record player for the last six months.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Probably around $70AU + shipping going by discogs? whereabouts are you so I can do a proper postage cost / PM me if it's better to not poo poo up the thread with it.

bowmore posted:

What do you want for Andrew WK?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

I'd pay $80-100 for the death from above heads up ep just to complete my discography. It's only a matter of time before I do.

Hell yeah I've finally got a reason to post in this thread:

It's only the black copy though, I was never able to find a clear copy for a reasonable price especially when it includes shipping to Australia. I wish they'd hurry up and tour here again though.

Also, if you're after another very 2 man DFA dance-punk band, check out DZ Deathrays.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

I'd say we're about equal. I have the 3 aside from Heads Up, but my RR Ep and You're a Woman I'm a Machine copies are autographed :P My copy of You're a Woman is the pink reissue from a few years ago.

When I got RR signed my friend got them to sign it and they asked if they could keep it. Apparently they hadn't seen a copy of it in awhile.

I wish I could get them signed, but the last time they toured Australia I couldn't carry around jackets with me because I was working at the festival, and the time before that I almost got pepper sprayed by Austin police at their secret SXSW show :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

screaden posted:

Rarest for me was some TISM albums, the Collected Recordings was from Collectors Corner in Melbourne for 40 bucks about ten years ago, the records weren't technically from a shop, but from a dude who would buy up random lots from estates and old radio stations and stuff to resell from his garage, got them also for about 40 bucks for both. Discogs has median price for Truckin Songs at $84.62, no sales history for the others. Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

That's fuckin' cool. My one claim to 15 minutes of fame was creating the TISM Eurovision petition, which was both the dumbest and best thing I've worked on.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
My Bloody Valentine are finally reissuing Isn't Anything and Loveless - https://pitchfork.com/news/my-bloody-valentine-announce-isnt-anything-and-loveless-vinyl-reissues/

Glad I never got the courage to bite the bullet on the $200+ bootlegs.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

that shipping tho. $20, gently caress that.

I'm guessing that's the flat rate for ROW, because to Australia the cost comes to $150 including shipping for the 2x vinyl + 2x t-shirt bundle, which considering how often we get shafted on shipping is pretty good?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I have the LCD soundsystem madison square garden set and i want to say it's six discs? But it's six very good discs and I cherish it.

I mean, it's a three hour concert so that scans right

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
As an Australian it's my patriotic duty to reinforce the earlier statement that everyone should listen to not only Tropical gently caress Storm but also The Drones.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I know some folks were posting about Tropical gently caress Storm earlier in the thread, and they just announced they're supporting Modest Mouse on the east coast of their October US tour. That's a killer lineup and you'll probably be able to score some decent vinyl without lovely Autralian postage costs!

edit: my first ever snype so the pressure's on; King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard also announced they're repressing the first five albums on vinyl sometime soon.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s weird, mclusky were from my city in which I went to hundreds of gigs yet never saw them live or really took the time to listen to them. Had to check their wiki to see if I knew any of the members personally, and it appears they met working for a small (and super lovely) company I worked for too. I’ll probably listen to them and really wish I’d bothered checking them out 15 years ago now.

Thankfully Future of the Left are supremely good also, so you can keep the train going once you listen to all the mclusky

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

A human heart posted:

they're dogshit, an embarassment to both of the genres they're taking from.

How could you say something so controversial yet so brave

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Techmoan shows us how to dink a record. And how not to.

Trigger warning: HE TOUCHES THE VINYL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vDGwfsQkM

Uh he touches more than one record so that should say "he touches the vinyls"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

If I had to guess, it's a record

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
how about them vinyls huh

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
the best Australian band of all time, TISM, have got their first physical release in almost twenty years announced today, a 2xLP live set of their final show as well as an "Omni-Album":

quote:

With its lesser dynamic range, worse signal-to-noise ratio, inferior channel separation, variation in playback speed, limited sound capacity, and susceptibility to heat, dust and damge, vinyl is an inexplicably re-emerging gimmick for pox-addled hair-lipped shut-ins who are trying too hard to compensate for ther goitered lives.

But why pay for multiple TISM albums in vinyl format when you can buy only one? The TISM Omni-Album is an all-purpose album cover containing liner notes, artwork and song listings suitable for all six TISM albums. The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album comes with an actual vinyl disc, filled with 100 minutes of total silence, so as not to detract from the sound quality and thereby allowing you to savour the full vinyl experience: you will extract the soon-to-be scratched disc from the soon-to-be bent cover, place it on a revolving turntable powered by the latest in 1920s technology, and then attempt to drop a tiny, fragile and expensive needle on to an inconsistently revolving wax groove.

With the TISM Deluxe Omni-Album, all the features of analogue listening are yours: turntable rumble, extraneous cartridge noise, clicks and pops as the stylus hits dust, and of course, the repetitive insanity of a needle endlessly skipping over the permanently damaged surface. And remember, with The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album's carefully mastered total silence, you can listen to TISM's music in any non-analogue format you choose. (These formats are available for separate purchase.) The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album is the ultimate TISM listening experience.

The standard edition of The TISM Omni-Album contains no vinyl at all. Why put up with second best? The TISM Omni-Album gives you the vinyl experience without the crap sound.

The TISM Ultra Deluxe Double Omni-Album - with its two completely silent vinyl discs - has been banned by the Victorian Department of Consumer Affairs. According to a department spokesperson, "surely there's no deadshit stupid enough to buy it."

It's me, I'm the deadshit. I bought the live set, but also the 2xLP Omni set that assumedly has no music on the vinyl discs. Knowing the band's sense of humour, there's every chance that the discs might actually have something on there like a spoken word manifesto, but there's also every chance that they're literally just selling an empty vinyl. Which is also funny as hell.

Anyway, buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQO1qZD5lek

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Turbinosamente posted:

Christ I kinda want that blank TISM record for lol irony reasons even though I dont care about the band and have only heard one of their songs. I too must be a dumbshit.

I'd really recommend the live album at least, they're incredible live. There's a different live show album on Spotify if you want to preview it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has anyone ever issued a record that's supposed to be played with two tonearms at the same time? Like with a steady beat in a locked groove and different instrumental/vocal parts in a regular spiral groove?

or hell, just different instrument tracks in locked grooves, which I'm sure exists, but drop in as many tonearms as you can manage and be the one-record DJ.

Zaireeka would be the closest but I think it only had a CD release?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

free code for some disco/house.

Snagged, thank you!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

petit choux posted:

Am I mistaken or This looks entirely salvageable:

Probably worth trying anyway, you could flip Daft Punk stuff for a decent price now

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
https://theavalanchesstore.com/

Since I Left You is getting a 4xLP re-release, finally. It's...expensive as gently caress, though. I'm guessing they finally cleared all the samples and the cost is commensurate to that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Mclusky Do Dallas! Repress! gently caress yeah!

https://christianfitness.bandcamp.com/campaign/mclusky-do-dallas

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Man finding a new copy of John Carpenter's Lost Themes 3 for less than 20 AUD was fun, but going to his Bandcamp and buying the other Lost Themes and Movie Themes records and paying shipping really torpedoed any potential savings I made.

E: am I insane for keeping inner sleeves out of the artwork while storing vinyl in outer sleeves?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

BigFactory posted:

By outer sleeves, do you mean bags? I started doing that when the sleeve was damaged enough that I didn’t want to take the LP in and out and make the splits worse, but it was so much more convenient that I just do it with every record now, basically.

Yeah, newborn brain is tanking my vocabulary. It's a lot easier with the bags I've got, especially for double gatefold albums.

I need to post my record fair pick-ups sometime soon. It's been years since I've had a working turntable (and about as long since I had to see a bunch of my LPs for rent money) and now I have disposable-ish income which is a dangerous combo.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
My records came in the mail today and they're all hosed up :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, that really blows. You should call

I wish I still had my Postal Service vinyl :(

Another good mail day that I didn't take photos of:

Lullaby covers of Blink 182
Deafheaven - 10 Years Gone
my bloody valentine - Isn't Anything
Death Grips - The Money Store

I asked the wife which one to play first and she said "literally anything but the anime album" which cut real deep

I'm also considering a VMP sub - anyone got any pros/cons for subbing?