Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Going up to Seattle soon. Staying around the Pike Market area I guess. Any good shops up there? Planning on buying lots of grunge records so I don't look like a tourist.

Here is a picture to trigger everyone's OCD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

Apparently there's a place in the Market itself that has a really good selection of old stuff, but I haven't been there and have no idea if it's as overpriced as everything else in that area. It's in the basement (I think) so if you're in the market anyway and aren't leaving that area, that's pretty much your only choice.

However a short Uber ride away in Capitol Hill (which is where most of the good restaurants and bars are) you could easily make an afternoon of browsing, there's a few stores rift within a few blocks of each other. It's been a while since I've been there myself but I've heard great stuff about Zions Gate. Wall of Sound is more local / obscure poo poo. Everyday Music is alright too.

Cool. I figured the prices might suck. Will probably be up in Capitol Hill a bit. Didn't know there was an Everyday up there.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Toe Rag posted:

Singles Going Steady is my favorite record store in Seattle, mostly punk stuff. Sonic Boom is your typical indie music store, with 2 or 3 locations ... mostly new stuff, but some used. Everyday Music has anything and everything, while Jive Time has a garage sale vibe.

Jive time sounds like my jam. Got Everydays all over PDX so I might skip it up here.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

No matter what kind of music you're into, you will find something utterly loving mind-blowing at Crossroads Records on Hawthorne, guaranteed. I found two copies of The Apple soundtrack, two Frogs records, a pristine copy of Ween's The Pod, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Sadly their copy of Crispin Glover's album had the corner cut off. I kind of regret not getting that one.

It's a waste-an-entire-afternoon kind of place.

This. Everyday Music can be found on both sides of town. Music Millennium is the classic Portland shop

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think I started cataloging up to Classic Rock "B" and sorta lost interest. Plus I had a bunch of un-filed poo poo. Maybe I'll enter them in as I buy them? Haha. Who am I kidding.

This weekend's haul.

Technically not from this weekend. Was browsing Amazon bored a few weeks ago and the Highwaymen was $7 and Leon Bridges was $11.

Weird seeing Stoner Witch with a Third Man label. Kinda a lovely pressing though. there are some raised bumps in the grooves. Been looking for Budgie for a minute. Found a copy for $16 and jumped on it. You get what you pay for. Lots of surface noise and some skips but pretty playable. What it is box set from an insound sale. 25 funky 45's.

Reissues galore. Charles Bradley scene on Luke Cage reminded me I should have some of his stuff.

Where the Buffalo Roam OST. Some pretty terrible Neil Young stuff, Bill Murry singing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and not enough dialog from the film. Oh well it was $5. For some reason I thought Quasimoto was out of print and hard to find. Guess not. Happy to finally add it to the collection.

Selling some old black metal records from years ago helped me with my purchases.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 4, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

https://mondotees.com/products/luke-cage-original-soundtrack-2xlp-pre-order

The show was pretty good but the music really stood out. Pretty stoked to see this getting released so quickly.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Joined the vinylmeplease to get my hands on Odelay as its the only pre Guero album of his I don't own. Then I saw they were having a sale and had the $10 off referral code. Pretty stoked with the service so far. Hopefully the next two records will be cool. Oh and they sent me a mystery 45. Some dude, James Vincent McMorrow. Not really my jam but a fun little bonus.

Total haul was only $55. Not to shabby. Though if I had known at the time the Beck stuff was getting a wide release I probably would not have bothered. I am perfectly fine with plain old black vinyl.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

Ugh I hate Black Friday with a passion but I might actually go out for this.

And gently caress you if you don't get Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas. :canada:

no broccoli please posted:

With the interactive interview in the liner notes!

WaitsUp posted:

If you're a good Canadian you should have the original LP!

Or maybe you're a U.S. citizen and played too much Beer Hunter and forgot you had a copy.

In other news. Been diggin' the deep discount AmazonUK stuff. Got this for $35 shipped and it rules.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

http://experimedia.net/bargainbin

Pretty crazy deals if you like ambient stuff. $3 vinyl and shipping was cheap.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

King Vidiot posted:

Is it cheap outside the UK? I'm listening to that Belbury Poly/Advisory Circle collaboration right now and it sounds really good.
I am in the U.S. and shipping was something like $6 for five records.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Bargain bins, birthday, and a surprise from amazon.

Elton John's second album. Its got a couple good songs. A little on the bombastic side but it was only a couple bucks.

Shhh by Ten Years After. Nice psych heavy blues. Good friend gave it to me for my birthday. He bought it on the cover alone and the album is pretty cool.

Piiptsjilling is one I grabbed for three bux from that Experimedia sale. I liked it best outta that bunch. Nice ambient stuff.

Been waiting for Skull Flower from Sun Angle for a bit. Dude I know is in the band and I like to support local bands but I did have to go the Amazon route cause it was sold out or not carried everywhere I looked. Heavy modern psychedelic stuff.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

The AT-LP120 is currently $229.99 on Amazon. Any chance it's going to get any cheaper anywhere else?

Use the Barnes and Noble code? That should bring it down to 209ish. 30% off a single item. BNBFRIDAY16

Edit: I think the code is only good til tomorrow.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 24, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Wouldn't that take it down to $160ish?

Nah. Barnes and Noble has it for 299 so 30% off that. I wish I could use their codes on amazon....

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Flaggy posted:

I did do Black Friday record store, but my local shop didn't participate. Instead they sold all their rare stuff they have been collecting personally. Basically the owner of the shop let us shop his personal collection. I grabbed these.

I know they aren't anything special collecting wise, but I am so happy. I have been wanting that Kid Koala for a while, and yes I know I could buy it on discogs but I like finding things out in the "wild"

Nice. It's way cooler to find stuff in the wild. Found my Quasimoto that I had been looking for cheap a couple weeks ago.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

40% off spinclean. Free shipping. Ends Monday I think.

https://spincleanrecordwasher.com/

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Things are starting to roll in... Pre-orders and some overseas Amazon stuff

Twin Peaks OST on drat Fine Coffee colored vinyl.

My friend's band Genders Phone Home on translucent purple wax.

Same buddy found a unopened box of a 45 his grandfather pressed and gave me one. Probably from the 50's or early 60's. Guess he was a jazz guy but it looks like they tried their hand at a novelty record. Pretty weird stuff.

Japanese Garage Comp. on purple swirl.

Tom Waits Early Years V.1-2 snagged from AmazonUK for about $25 shipped

Grabbed this without thinking 'cause it was seven bucks. When I got it I realized it was indeed all of their hits.... re recorded in the 2000's. It's not bad... just slightly off.

Goblin La Via Della Droga OST on heroin white wax :rolleyes: Dope soundtrack though...

Drive OST that I ordered drunk and paid way too much for, but damned if it isn't the most neon pink vinyl I have ever seen. This thing will definitely glow under a black light.

VMP edition of The Fugees

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Woulda been cooler if they had kept that stuff under wraps like the Blackstar stuff.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

That Sliterama comp loving rules and if you enjoy that you should get the other two volumes in that series and the related comp Sixties Japanese Garage Rock Sampler. Supposedly these were originally compiled by one of the founders of Sundazed in the early days of the label.

Yeah it rules. Found v.1 for cheap and it's on the way.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

beergod posted:

I've been lurking for like 6 months and I don't think ive ever recognized let alone listened to a record you you guys post about

Is it all edm or metal or something

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Boinks posted:

What, no whipped cream swirl colored limited 180 gram record store day pressing?

Not exactly... but I do have this one as well...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

King Vidiot posted:

Taiwan records are the best. I mean, they're the absolute worst quality of sound and material but I love the typos and those cheap thin cellophane-covered paper sleeves.

I have this one too. I grab them if I see them in the dollar bin. Kinda fun to have.

Some new arrivals. (Sorry for the blurry photos.)

Nina Simone Sings the Blues VMP exclusive. Last of my club. It was kinda cool but since these albums are available elsewhere I don't think I will re up. I don't really care about colored vinyl or the dumb drink recipe and the 'art' has been pretty lame.

Luke Cage Soundtrack. I'm not usually a soundtrack guy but this one is pretty sweet. Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad killed the Blaxploitation/Spaghetti Western/Hip Hop mashup. The yellow is a lot more pale than I thought it would be.

Buddy of mine had some old stock laying around from his label so I snagged the two samplers. Moden Funk from Omega Supreme Records.

A Christmas record. Has the classic lone dude trying to hype his bandmates into joining him. They all resist then BUST OUT!

I wouldn't want anyone to enter this thread and think we are a bunch of snobs....

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 23, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Pingiivi posted:

The actual album has red and blue color records. That picture disk was a pre order extra that only has one song on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wptBuM6zs

Holy poo poo. 15 minutes?! Of that? I can see using that as a "closing time get the gently caress out out of the bar" song though.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

my summer at fat camp posted:

Buy the JVC and a new cartridge. Don't be stupid.

Yeah. Make sure you can switch the needle. Some of those lower end ninety's tables don't have that option.

I have a $90 audio technica and it works fine. Before that it was a $90 Sony that lasted for 10 years. (Actually it still works.) Before that it was hand me downs and thrift store tables. That Rega is belt drive. Only way I'm paying over 200 is if it is a direct drive. Buy a cheap table to start. Then once the vinyl fad dies you won't feel as dumb. Congrats on yer first piece of wax btw.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 24, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

There is a new record store on the way home from work. Stopped in to check it out. :homebrew: They were playing Moondog Monologue. Oh hey I've been looking for that...$100 original pressing... nevermind. But it was a cool little store and I picked up more than I intended but that's the way it always goes.

Don't know much about this one but my friend played it on my show this week and it was the first record I saw in the new arrivals so I had to snag it.

...and right after that I found one of my favorite Kinks records.

A Mondo record at a super low price. Played a couple of songs at the listening station. Weird and funky so I snagged it. It will make good segue music.

Cheap wax. Good poo poo

Light in the Attic had a small sale on their website and I snagged a couple.

My favorite Roky Erickson.

Holy poo poo that etching.

And that is why I have no money. Doesn't help that my wife is a total enabler. I'll be looking at something, mention how cool it is, mention that it is too expensive, and then she is just like, "You should get it."

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mrenda posted:

The wholesome, helpful, direct advice I was looking for. I'll be able to get a few more records.

They had another one, but it was more modern with USB and phono built in, so I'm presuming since it was the same price with more stuff it's less good.

How do I go about checking all that out: changing cartridges and needles? I looked at my parent's ancient non-separate's hifi system that broke and I couldn't figure it out. And how do I know what's compatible?

Look up the model number, then look up replacement cartridge on Google.

I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-...words=Turntable

It plays records. It's not too expensive.

I do plan on upgrading but I keep spending that money on records.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

Here was my life cycle as a vinyl collector:

1. "Hey, I own like 10 records. Maybe I should have some way to play them."
2. "OK, I have a turntable, I guess I need more records. I'm only buying music I'll listen to over and over."
3. "And music I have really good memories of."
4. "And collector's garbage from Mondo."
5. "Hey, my record collection is worth a sizable portion of my 401k."

I was lucky in my vinyl acquisitions. I started buying in the 90's when everyone was dumping theirs and replacing them with CDs. I was able to get tons of classic rock stuff for super cheap. I also had friends that worked in record stores so I would get hooked up. A few of my friends were DJ's at clubs around town, but we ended up starting some DJ nights at dive bars and just tried to one up each other with weird stuff. I actually fell out of collecting for the past few years and after moving 1000+ records a couple times was seriously considering getting rid of all of it. (I like to tell people I bought a house for my records with the bonus that I get to live there) I started filling in for a friend on his internet radio show and so I'm back to crate digging. The landscape has changed a lot. On the one hand it is nice to grab some of the more esoteric re-issues but on the other hand the price increase seems to average about $10 for new records.

http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/crate-digging-dont-do-it

caligulamprey posted:

The Visitor soundtrack is awesome and the movie rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vBRdplSps

Yes. Yes it does. I had forgotten that I actually started watching this movie but I don't think I ever finished it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

rockinricky posted:

I guess it could be a good idea to complete that George Michael collection before prices go nuts. :(

I think Micheal Jackson records went up for a second but then everyone realized that they had been pressed in the billions. My Thriller picture disc is worth $5.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, there's tons of stuff I like that I couldn't listen to before because I didn't own a record player and it was hard-to-impossible to get in any other format. :shobon:

All those old O. V. Wright and Jimmy McCracklin and Joe Simon albums, for instance.

Um... All of those seem readily available on CD and streaming.

I would buy this on the cover alone for sure...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Snowy posted:

I'm looking forward to the next death of vinyl so I can pick up more cheap goodies. Hopefully it becomes extremely uncool.

Once people have to move them more than a couple times? Unfortunately I don't think anyone has instilled proper record handling to most of these kids. Oh well. They are probably just using the download code and hanging the cover on the wall. My sister used to take mine and just put them on her shelf to look cool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

:fap: :fap: :fap:

It's pretty great, but I have a soft spot for 1) soundtracks 2) by Angelo Badalamenti, and could listen to them on repeat until the record is dust.

On another note: I bought an album off Discogs, it came today, and the back is stamped with "for promotional use only," like the poo poo we used to get at the radio station when companies still sent us stuff to play on air. Not that I really care, but does that make a record worth more or less?

I don't think it would ever make the record worth more unless the pressing is unique in other ways... as for decreasing the value it just depends on the person buying it and whether that bugs them or not.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I took a chance on this thing. With cheap shipping it's less than a buck a record.

https://store.noidearecords.com/collections/new-on-no-idea/products/grab-bag-of-35-7-records

Because I need more random stuff....

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

rockinricky posted:

I didn't think I would get any mail today on MLK Day, but I got my surprise box from No Idea Records. It's like getting a package from that record store in my dreams, where all the records are by bands I've never heard of.

35 records, but only 34 different ones, I got two copies of a Red Money/Black Market split. There are colored ones and even a picture disc.

I think I'll get my money's worth. YAY, new bands to discover!

Mine arrived and I finally had a chance to listen to them. Only ten or so that I didn't like. (Pop Punk bugs the poo poo outta me) But there was some good hardcore and grind. Some colored wax and an etched one. Nothing I would have sought out on my own but it was fun to go through.

The haul:

The discard pile:

Band name that actually made me laugh out loud

And that previously mentioned record store took more of my money. I just stopped in to look at the bargain bin...

:nws:http://imgur.com/5BE8Prd:nws:

Then I saw a couple more things that I had actually been looking for.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Transporting records on the cheap? Favorite gig bags? Lunchpail style boxes for 45s? I hate spending too much on this stuff cause that is less money to spend on various video gaming sountrax.

Right now I use a bike messenger type bag and old Pepsi half crates.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 29, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I had to look this fool up.

He is basically Gregg Turkington's character from On Cinema irl.

Edit:

Haha. I have to stop watching his crap. The way he shows off his records...

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 10, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Let me guess, he's touching the playing surface and calling them "vinyls".

The opposite. Conspicuously holding them as if they were the most precious things in the world. He does have a video about how to hold the vinyl record after all.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

What are they?

Rob Zombie: Hellbilly Deluxe that he found at Hot Topic. "I've heard this a bunch, but never on vinyl."

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Getting ready for my pre Valentines show.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

That chair is gross

Don't seat shame the chair I found by the dumpster.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

This is one of those things I would absolutely buy if I saw it somewhere for ten bucks.

Same.

Found some stuff in the cheap stacks this week. Made up for some garbage records that I bought earlier.

Kinda bizarre funk from WAR's harmonica player.

I listened to this in the store and thought I could deal with the scratches but got it home and it sounds really lovely. Oh well. Cool cover at least.

Side two of this record is unplayable but the first side has the best stuff anyway. Can't beat it for two bux.

Been looking for this for a bit. Suprisingly the most expensive record of the bunch. I remember seeing this in the dollar bins back in the day.

Another $2 record. Vinyl was pristine.

Mellow piano stuff. Nice change from what I usually listen too.

I have another Bohanon record that is more disco. So I was surprised at how good this first record was. This was probably my best score this week for 5 bucks.

Reggae is not my thing but I thought it was cool they made a hacky sack colored vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Skeezy posted:

Picked up Lost Themes to complete that collection today. Here's the download code for that.

Edit: I just picked up Bob Marley Legend for like $11 on Amazon. How much was it for the color vinyl? It looks sick. Aww shucks, Amazon had it for $16 but it's out of stock.

I think I snagged it for 16. You can probably try to order it and if they get it in stock they will send it to you at that price. I've been waiting on a $10 Sharon Jones record. If it comes, score. If not they just cancel it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 21, 2017