Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

hexwren posted:

The comment on Songs From the Big Chair (of which I do have a copy which I really love) does bring to mind a certain paradox of this whole thing, which we've probably discussed before, but...

...for the records that really sold millions and millions of copies, why do you never see those out in the wild? Even a couple decades ago when I started buying my own records regularly (weeps in middle aged) the records in the bins in the new-and-used shops were rarely the most popular ones. Was there a copy of Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller in Arboria Records, State College, PA? Nope, but there was definitely three loving copies of Jamming With Edward that nobody wanted to send to the dumpster. poo poo, I was actively looking for Tears for Fears records and didn't get one until several years later. I get the idea that anything that desirable gets hoarded or rebought immediately, but...millions of records. It's fuckin' weird.

A lot of that stuff is collecting dust in boomer basements and garages despite that they haven't owned a working turntable since Reagan was in office because they have "sentimental value". But mostly it's just that anything popular or famous gets snatched up fast whether it's in a record store, flea market or thrift store often even when it's completely trashed. Patience is key in this hobby unless you want to pay absurd premiums.

Live at Leeds is an amazing album and not just one of my favorite live albums but one of my favorite albums in general. Especially the expanded edition with the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I was so disappointed when I got Live At Leeds on vinyl after growing up with the CD.

Yeah that's the version I've always had and is why I never sought out a copy of the original LP.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ay when did Horzu copies of Magical Mystery Tour bloat to like a million dollars?

I hate this hobby sometimes.

When the pandemic happened.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Uncle knows Jonathan Audio Technica.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

couple nights ago I was listening to my copy of hunky dory and fretting, trying to figure out of it was just my ears getting worse as i get older, my needle wearing down, a piece of fluff stuck in the stylus, that it was just loud in the rest of the apartment, or that it wasn't a very good pressing

it just sounded muffled, missing a lot of the high-end

i honestly still don't know

It could be a bit of all of these things but if it's an old pressing it's quite possible that it's just worn out or mastered shittily. A lot of worn out old records will look about a VG+ but sound like dogshit because they've been played too many times.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

it's actually rather new, i think it might even be a posthumous pressing.

That could be it too. The quality control for new records is all over the place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Arcella posted:

There sure are a lot of them!

Gather up as many as you can to briefly stave off the despair you feel for the coming horrors!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I keep throwing objects into the giant void in my soul and apparently there's just no bottom.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CornHolio posted:

So Blood Ceremony released a new album for the first time in seven years, and I jumped on it and bought the limited-to-100 clear 'die hard' edition. It was pretty reasonably priced. I saw one listed for sale on Discogs for $300... and it sold immediately. How many of these are people that have multiple accounts and sell stuff to themselves to boost value?

Never underestimate the stupidity of rich kids.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

They’re kinda like a Rough Trade. I’ve never heard anything bad about their exclusives or anything.

Their colored exclusives are often ten bucks more than the regular versions of those and from experience I can tell you that quality control varies wildly. And that store tends to overprice their records to begin with. What I will say about them is that their clearance bin often has good poo poo in there and sometimes at rock bottom prices. A lot of long forgotten RSD stuff ends up getting shuffled into those bins for under ten bucks. Anyway after enough bad experiences I don't buy any of their exclusives anymore.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

This poo poo's getting really out of hand [one day haul]

And yes, that is the only acceptable / one "true" variant of Abacab's cover. :smug:

I have to take them all out of the box at the same time this is the most annoying poo poo ever jfc

Hey that one on the top left is a real good choice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If There Is Something is one of my favorite songs by any group at any time.

Yes Album, of course, is awesome. Every song on it is really good. If anyone out there was looking to start with Yes, or with prog music, this is the album.

Roxy Music is hands down one of the best debut albums I've ever heard.

haljordan posted:

I know none of this is vintage stuff, but here's today's haul (starting upper left and going clockwise):

-Best of Stevie Nicks
-Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
-MGMT - Spectacular
-TRON Soundtrack by Daft Punk

edit: goddamn the MGMT album loving slaps

Have you heard an original pressing of Oracular Spectacular? The first two albums have these hype stickers bragging about the remasters and I've always wondered if they're any better. It seems weird to me that a couple albums of their vintage would be remastered so soon (yes, I know when they came out but the reissues followed only a couple years after their initial releases). On a related note, I was in a Newbury Comics a few months back and overheard some teenagers talking about "discovering" MGMT so I'm officially a mummy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

haljordan posted:

mp3 copy I downloaded years and years ago

That's a really low bar though. I've always felt like the original LPs for their first couple albums lacked dynamics. I'd really only be interested in Congratulations at this point because I always thought that was by far the better album and at this point in my life I've listened to Oracular Spectacular enough where I probably never need to hear it again. I remember when Congratulations came out people lost their poo poo because it went in a different direction and was more of a psych rock album than a dancey thing. But I always found the people who said that to be folk who never listed to the b-side of the first record. It's weird to me how big MGMT was and how little anyone ever talks about them anymore.

I have opinions about MGMT.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They seem a bit like Gotye in that they accidentally made a radio hit but it wasn't really what they were about creatively.

Now he's just somebody that we use to know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mr E posted:

I got the 10th anniversary release for Daft Punk’s RAM today. I haven’t listened to the album in ages but I think after disliking it when it released I’ve landed on loving it.

Jesus Christ, that was ten years ago?

Oh god...my life.

joylessdivision posted:

Thanks again to whoever brought up Newbury Comics and their discount bin.

Also very happy this came in yesterday as well
haven't had a chance to look at either disc yet to see how the colors look but I will....eventually.

IT WAS I!

I always check that bin because I live in a very square place so the cool poo poo often hangs around and ends up getting dumped in the sale bin. I got the most recent Tropical gently caress Storm album there for ten bucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

I'm just happy to find any place online where I can get cool records I want without having to pay absurd prices for them, and thankfully they had that Carpenter record for like...$14 or something absurd like that. Was $20 something with shipping so I got that going for me.

I'm also extremely excited about the batch of records I ordered from Plaid Room Records, but I'll share those when they arrive sometime next week.

I've found so much awesome poo poo in there. I'm glad you did too.

sporklift posted:

I was looking for storage solutions for my 45 problem and here was the banner on amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

RubberLuffy posted:

everything I ordered finally came.

Oso Oso - Real Stories Of True People, Who Kind Of Looked Like Monsters (half black half purple vinyl)
The Hotelier - Goodness (yes I censored this because it's a group of fully nude 70 year olds and I'd rather not risk it when sharing this) (2xLP one blue and one orange)
The Format - Interventions And Lullabies (blue with yellow splatter)
The Get Up Kids - Guilt Show and On A Wire (both green glow in the dark)

Oh poo poo, you got the limited edition paper towel edition!? That thing's going for like 300 bucks on discogs right now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Paypal Pay in Four is a gift and a curse. :getin:

Paypal Credit is worse!

Read After Burning posted:

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are also non-chuds, if you're looking for more "older country stars that don't want LGBT+ folks dead". :kiddo:

And there's of course the new crop, like Maren Morris, etc.

Dolly Parton too. She's been a big friend o' gays for a long time. I never knew Garth Brooks was actually cool. Maybe I too must rope the wind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

The Thunder Rolls, Calling Baton Rouge, and Friends In Low Places are the two best Garth Brooks songs, I'll straight-up head bang like Beavis and Butthead to 'em. :colbert:

Of his "sad"/ballad songs, there's If Tomorrow Never Comes and The Dance, and I remember liking the former way more than the latter. :kiddo:

Huhuhuhuh, you said "bang".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here but does colored vinyl sound worse than black?

I typed a whole long thing but the window closed. Anyway, this is something of a myth. The reason that colored pressings have this reputation is that quality control on those seems to be worse. I don't know exactly why but I have guesses. I tend to avoid them if possible but I have plenty of wacky colored discs that sound fine. I have some that are not so hot but quality control on new LPs has been all over the place the last several years so it is what it is. A lot of hyper-nerds and audiophile lunatics will rant and/or rave about which pressing plants such and which don't. Fancypants reissues and such will use RTI and Pallas. In my experience these live up to the hype. A lot of run of the mill releases will used United Record Pressing or CZ Media. They're not great but they're not as terrible as people say. I do have some mediocre pressings from both but plenty that are fine. It's kind of a crap shoot. Third Man used United for many years before they opened their own plant. Having owned a lot of that material I can confirm that United is pretty subpar but not always awful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Complete Sifl and Olly songs when?

Mr E posted:

I really love Dethklok but I don't think I can justify 200 bucks for 4 albums, especially since I really just want the first two... I have the Celeste box set along with Paradise Killer and Chicory's soundtracks on the way from Ship to Shore, can't wait to listen to them. I got Louis Cole's new album in today and I think it's pretty great, don't think there's a song I dislike on it.

I'm glad to see some love for Louis Cole on here. I have his previous record but I've yet to get the new one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Apologies if this has already been posted but I fell way behind on the thread. Anyway, the next Third Man Vault release is all three Syd Barrett albums. I'm taking a wild guess and saying they probably aren't sourced from tapes because the thing I saw about it doesn't mention anything about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bagina posted:

Man, as much of a massive Pink Floyd fan that I was, Sud’s solo work is… challenging. I rather enjoyed Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but after that, it’s hard to listen to his descent into madness.

I really like the Madcap Laughs. Opel really sounds like a dump of stuff they had laying around somewhere, which is what it is. But at any rate it's mice to know there will be a reissue of some quality, hopefully anyway but Third Man always does reissues with a lot of care. I suspect that they're going to later unbundle them and sell them as non-limited black vinyl discs as has been the case with a lot of Vault "exclusives".

Turbinosamente posted:

That's been my experience with singles as well, plus my setup isn't very conductive to actually playing them. You beat out my most expensive accidentally acquired 45 which is a protest song called "Woman of the Ghetto" by Marlena Shaw. It's seems to range from $10 to $50, I keep it because it's cool. That, if Steppenwolf is anything to judge by, old protest/social issue music from the late 60s/70s doesn't sell very well anyways. But that could just be because it's Steppenwolf. :shrug:

Speaking of the late 60s I was unable to resist buying the latest Mort Garson compilation. It has some of his less moog centric work on it but still is all the funky psychedelic stuff you love him for.

If you like Mort Garson check out Bruce Haack. Shimmy Disc just reissued one of them called Captain Entropy. Haack started out making really unusual children's music often with instruments of his own design and creation before moving towards more adult oriented material in his later career. His album Haackula was basically a middle finger to the music industry after having to deal with years and years of bullshit. It ruffled enough feathers that it remained unreleased for 20 years. It's a very angry album that should have been a classic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So Third Man Records claims that the Syd Barrett reissues will only be available via the Vault Package and aren't to be released later without the wacky colors.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh Jesus Christ, now they're doing it to records? gently caress off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

No. Records are meant to be listened to. Get worn out. Shown love.

At least cards you can kind of enjoy while in a grading sleeve thing.

Nobody that's buying these things owns a turntable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

People always talk like this album is a perennial dollar bin item, but I've been digging through thrift store records for like 15 years and somehow have never found it.

It's one of the highest selling albums of all time so there's no shortage of them. Any record dealer has absolutely come across and sold countless copies of it. Classic rock albums tend to fly right out of thrift stores even when they're in absolutely unplayable condition so I'm not all that surprised it doesn't pop up there a lot.

Incidentally I did give away a copy of Rumours in this thread years back. Someone gave me two or three crates of records and there wasn't much of interest to me. It was mostly 80s top 40 and classic rock best ofs so I just offered poo poo to anyone who wanted to pay shipping. The rest of it ended up getting destroyed in a basement flood a few years later and ended up in the trash. In retrospect there was probably a handful of things I gave away that I'd end up being interested in a bit later but oh well. It was mostly not to my taste then or now. I did get a handful of stone cold classics out of it including a UK second pressing of Dark Side of the Moon.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 31, 2023

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Musician Death inflation news: Last week, it was possible to score an original vinyl copy of Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra for less than $30. Now you can't find one under $150.

I hate this hobby.

It'll go down in a couple of weeks when they realize no one is paying that. Probably not to 30 bucks though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heath posted:

David Bowie's records all went into the stratosphere for a bit after he died but then settled down again after six months or so.

It's the circle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

I mean if you're trying to buy Sinéad O'Connor records after her death you're part of the problem (or you have the worst timing ever).

Fight the real enemy!

(The real enemy is ghouls taking advantage of someone dying for a quick buck.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Did I miss anything good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Records are expensive now.

(Now we just need to pull petit choux back in :bernin: )

That's the first I'm hearing of it.