Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone have some thoughts on those Sonic Youth reissues that have been coming out lately? I've been wanting to buy their Self-Titled, Goo and Dirty for a minute but I'm not seeing much reliable info regarding sound quality and mastering. I know the MoFi pressing of Goo is supposed to sound great (but being out of print has shot that record well past $100), but the other two are up in the air. I saw a repress of their S/T at one of my local shops for $15 but I had a gut feeling not to buy it until I found out more about their mastering and sourcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

The 2016 issues of Goo, Dirty, and Washing Machine are remastered from the original tapes. The most recent reissues of the s/t album are from about ten years ago. I don't personally own a copy so I can't comment positively on the sound of it but it is a remaster of some sort. No idea what it is sourced from but it was pressed by RTI so most likely it's a good reissue. Also all of the current pressings of Evol, Bad Moon, Rising, Sister, and Confusion is Sex on Goofin are sourced from the same lacquers as the excellent (and now out of print) ORG reissues from a few years back, I believe they're even a little bit cheaper than those were.

edit: On a related note, all of the current Geffen Nirvana reissues are also pressed from the ORG lacquers if you missed out on those when they were in print.

Oh awesome! thanks for the info. I only ever owned The Eternal and Simon Werner A Disparu on vinyl, but I find myself getting drawn into the band more and more lately so I wanted to start collecting their discography.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Good lookin' out. This is great! first time hearing this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

There was someone recently who posted a like to a blog post about using a toothpick to do that.

I think it was this blog https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2014/05/12/how-to-mend-a-record-that-skips-and-jumps-with-a-toothpick/

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I shouldn't have cheaped on the shipping for that Verocai release. I will now enjoy my split seam up top and a nice bend on the back right. :sweatdrop:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VERY COOL MAN posted:

hhv and vinyl-digital are both german record shops that sell bootlegs; they don't sell bootlegs exclusively but the fact that they're pretty much the only places that you can order this pressing from (or at least the first to stock it) and the fact that the catalog number, etc. are identical to the 2012 press are pretty damning evidence. that said german bootlegs are of generally high quality and i bought the poo poo out of this

Hmmm, so they must still be using the XL plates with the missing samples then. Was wondering which version of the album they'd be using. We'll never get a complete version of this record!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone picked up the Melvins Stoner Witch, Stag or Houdini represses? Wondering how they sound.

I picked up the Houdini reissue and it was plenty clean and clear on the audio front. There's good space in the recording and those heavy songs feel like they have some good weight to them. I'm pretty satisfied with the Houdini release at least. Stoner Witch is on the list for the next pickup.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone ever install an Ortofon 2m Blue? Any tips?

I keep reading about how dudes are ripping cables out during installation and that has me freaked out on doing it myself.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dogen posted:

It seems like people had trouble getting a hold of it because it was super popular when it came out? I like it alright but it's a bit of a joke how hyped it is/was.

I'm sure the moment the needle stopped spinning past track 4, it was already re-sleeved and put away.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VMP is better for it's private store and club only pressings. The Album of the month can be hit or miss. I've subscribed to them for about a year and a half now. Only two records I received did I not ever enjoy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Schremp Howard posted:

I would blame all of those Boston and Aerosmith represses more.

I'm going to blame them both equally.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

beergod posted:

Am I being neurotic or is this a *lot* of surface noise for a brand new, newly cleaned record? I swear it wasn't this bad before I cleaned it. Cross-posting from the Vintage thread.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02e0rmVN3B4

what's your process for cleaning? I know during one batch after a clean I was doing a listen of some newer records I just finished cleaning and noticed a huge jump in surface noise. Turned out my rags were getting old and started shedding a bit. Just micro amounts started collecting on my needle. I tossed all those out and brought in a fresh pair. Then incorporated a separate wash cycle (A: wash in spin clean with cleaning fluid, dry. B: wash basin with soap and water C: wash record last time in just distilled water).

Haven't noticed an issue since. Though I am starting to really consider a nitty gritty purchase. Perhaps if I can secure a new contract gig in the next month or two.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Marklar posted:

I'm not a big collector of vinyl at all. But slowly I've been obtaining my favorite albums. I stop in random record stores I see along the way and just browse. I must say, Tool's Ænima will forever escape me, I believe. I've wanted to not spend $250+ via eBay or Discogs, so I know I'm being unreasonable and just hoping to find the unicorn one day. Which means i might get a dastardly bootleg or fakes that are floating around, but even those are still 75-100. Well, that's my story. This is a cool thread.

some of those bootlegs sounds great and are reasonably priced at around $40. Which since you know the price of an original is pretty drat reasonable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

"Third Man Records is proud to announce the new limited edition Jack White single "My Doorbell". This new pressing is not a re-recording of the White Stripes hit but rather an actual recording of Jack White's doorbell. It will be a limited edition of 33 and only available at the Third Man Records store on the moon of Gamma Theetan Seven. The record will be pressed from actual moon dust and will sell for $150."

You jest, but this all sounds too plausible.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I haven't done one of these... ever, at least on this site.

MF Doom - ]Operation: Doomsday
[Kanye West - The College Dropout - was curious if the mix was any different. snagged it for a buck
Hamilton Bohannon - Bohannon Disco Symphony
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Crystal Castles - Amnesty (I)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Preoccupations - Preoccupations
Touché Amoré - Stage Four
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise - Original pressing with the "I Got A" track missing from future pressings
Anti-Flag - Mobilize
Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being

Jerry Harris - I'm For You...I'm For Me
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
The Colson Unity Troup - No Reservation
Liquid Liquid - Optimo
Lord Laro - Yu Have Fe Dread
Mary Jane Girls - Mary Jane Girls

Daryl Hall John Oates - Rock 'N Soul Part 1
Cosmic Machine: The Sequel: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde 70s-80s
Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby - This one came as padding for the cosmic machine record.
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My guess regarding the delay on Licensed to Ill is that as the they've gotten older, they've seemed kind of ashamed of some of the stuff they've said on that album. My understanding is that other than "No Sleep Til' Brooklyn", they rarely played cuts off of that record. There was also a lawsuit between them and Rick Rubin (Rubin hosed them out of some money, quelle surprise), that might have had something to do with it.

This wouldn't surprise me. Girls is all on that misogynistic poo poo and Brass Monkey has an instance of drugging a girls drink. I'm sure there's more, been a minute since I've listened to it. Besides we all know proper Beastie Boys really started at Pauls Boutique anyways.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Or just walk into a record store and start bawling like a baby, choking back your tears as you snottily list off the records you're looking for.

watching a grown man cry usually makes people uncomfortable enough to get them to put your list together and get you out the door away from normal people.

this will work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Woulda been cooler if they had kept that stuff under wraps like the Blackstar stuff.

how would they manage to sell over priced records to movie soundtracks that were just OK?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gin and Juche posted:

Massive Attack is reissuing all their albums in the next couple of months. It'll be nice to pick up Heligoland without having to pay a scalper $200-300 bucks.

Yep. I'd also like to have another copy of Blue Lines. My outer sleeve of my original pressing is pretty beat. I just hope they're using the same masters. They're nice sounding records.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's very nice. Would love to track one of those down.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

but what about...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

I warned a friend who was helping me move that the box of vinyl he was about to lift was heavy, and he totally waved it off. I've never seen a look of regret so fast in someone's face.

my way of moving records was buying a huge stack of those safeway paper bags, double bagging them and them putting about 20-25 (depending on how many LPs in the sleeve) records in there. That was 3 years ago when I moved with 500 records.. I'm at 800 now, but I'm sure the same procedure would work. a lot less strenuous than a box full of them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I purchased an Oingo Boingo record. See if you can guess why.

No I didn't know. Yes I bought it out of a weird internet obligation.

Also found:

Massive Attack - Karmacoma - single/portishead remix
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil - reissue/remaster
Tool - Aenima - Gold bootleg
Pharoah Sanders - Karma - reissue/remaster
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms - Capitol reissue

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gin and Juche posted:

If you like massive attack I hope you pick up the reissues for all their albums that came out this month and the next

I'll definitely be picking up everything besides Protection and Blue Lines. I own OP's of both and found a 2012 reissue of Blue Lines not too long ago. Though I am waiting to hear if any changes or who is doing the pressing jobs for those reissues will be. Probably should've checked yesterday as I saw the blue lines reissue in the wild, but didn't bother looking at it.

Side note: anyone know what to do with a purchase that yielded two of the same discs? That copy of A Perfect Circle I bought yesterday had two copies of the first disc despite the second disc having the correct SideC/D info. Real loving bummer, but I've heard some not so great dealings with returns at Amoeba in SF. I may try anyways and see what they say (it was a used purchase, but they resealed it as new) and I'd hate to be out of $30 for just one side of an album.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 31, 2016

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

You should watch Drive again.

I was thinking kung fu hustle.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, already sold out of Speakerboxx/Love Below it seems. =(

e: and Stankonia

Is that Stankonia reissue supposed to be any good? I know the Music on Vinyl one is great (also $45 everywhere I've looked).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Senator Giroux posted:

I liked Rasputin and Streetlight pretty well, and Needle to the Groove was nice (all those are in the San Jose area)

street light is dead and rasputin move to the haight. much smaller shop.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Transporting records on the cheap? Favorite gig bags? Lunchpail style boxes for 45s? I hate spending too much on this stuff cause that is less money to spend on various video gaming sountrax.

Right now I use a bike messenger type bag and old Pepsi half crates.

I've got a few record sized tote bags I've purchased from various record stores around the city. Set me back about $15 - $20 a piece. I guess it depends on how much you're looking to transport. I've seen some real nice protective tote bags and even a bicycle messenger style one. I think those are Turntable Labs products so they're sold at a premium.

ive seen this one in the wild and despite the company and accompanying images, it's not just hipster accessories. thing is solidly built and can store quite a haul. https://shop.katekoeppel.com/products/record-tote?variant=7663732421

https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/turntable-lab-date/products/turntable-lab-ttl-roll-top-backpack

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/soul-jazz-records-record-bag-7-navy-white

http://bicyclerecordbag.com/order.html

dorium fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 29, 2017

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

3 weeks worth of pickups tho I think there's a few I forgot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I have little doubt that this would catch on as niche of record collecting.

"That David Grundleman ash record is amazing. He breathes super heavy for two tracks and sings ABC in the highest falsetto possible, the B-Side is just a sample of Rock Lobster being repeated for 15 minutes, it's wild and worth a couple grand"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Exactly. These days you can't even get a single LP album from a bigger name label for less than 25 bucks. The fact that it's a 3LP for 28 bucks blows me away.

pressed on flexi-disc!

:haw:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty cool that it has alternate cover art for The Fourth Album. Also, the last goddamn thing I ever want to know is how much money I've ever spent on records.

and now they won't let you turn off the min/median/highest averages on your collection.

I just feel sad all the time now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Skeezy posted:

Got some beep boop music in the mail today.

I'm so weak. I want this. where?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Finally found a great looking copy of Talking Heads - Naked. Had the original unipak and everything. Not their best album, but still very solid and fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

new Gorillaz album was up for pre-order. this was their Super Deluxe Edition

You can still get it here: http://usstore.gorillaz.com/

the Deluxe is a happy middle ground. From the description it also sounds like they took some cues from the Moon Shaped Pool deluxe edition. Should be quite the item.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Geoff Zahn posted:

I threw my copy of the Red Dead Redemption record up on Discogs. It has a small dent in the outer sleeve but I still put up for $250 because someone will probably jump on it eventually.

Yes I understand I'm part of the problem with record collectors, but I just know I'll blow all that cash on other records anyways in this endless death spiral.

so you're the guy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Giga Gaia posted:

That album has to have been pressed in every possible vinyl record color at this point right?

yeah, but now it's in marbled blue and gold.

it's a newbury pressing so it'll be $45+ before shipping. Awesome :downs:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

Herb Alpert is going to be performing here in May. Thinking of going.
I wonder if he has some tour edition colors of Whipped Cream available at the merch booth.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You only really need Abbey Road tho. The rest of the beatles albums are superfluous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some new pickups and deliveries from the last two weeks. got some good stuff coming in too (two Soulwax records, new Gorillaz and new Little Dragon releases)