Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Hell, I just want Machines Of Loving Grace's three albums on vinyl. And then Morphine's Good.

Good just got released in December. It sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jeez, half the time if I'm browsing at the record store and taking too long the owner will grab the record out of my hands and play it. You can absolutely look at the record surface. How else would you do it?

EDIT: to Ron Burgundy ^^ any good music store should let you listen to something before you buy it, fyi. new or used. Unless I misunderstood you.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 6, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ron Burgundy posted:

Cracking the shrink wrap to listen to a new record in the store before committing to buy it seems like it might be pushing it a bit. Sure there are pressing faults, but I would just return those.

I've bought new records that are so warped they're unplayable. New records kinda blow, quality-wise. I dunno, I really only buy used records, but if I was going to drop 40 bucks or whatever on a new double LP I'd ask if I could open it. Depends on your relationship with the store, though, I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is silly. What?

What's silly about it? QA/QC sucks by and large. You don't end up buying brand new records that have (sometimes major) manufacturing defects? I do.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Has it occurred to you that you just don't find stuff like this with old records because they've been destroyed or taken out of circulation?

I bought records in the 80's. I still have them. I think the quality control in general is down and I think retailers/distributors knew how to ship and store their inventory better. There isn't nearly the money in the industry in general anymore. Records are heavier, sure, and pretty colors, but that's just so they can charge more for them. Mastering and pressing isn't done as well as it used to be. Just my opinion.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And I have plenty of lovely pressings from old albums, most of the time when it's a lesser pressing from a country other than the artist's native country.
I think a lot of modern re-issues fall into the same trap where you have smaller houses spending all of their money to buy the rights to re-issue the record, and there's nothing left over to make sure that half the copies aren't warped before they go out the door.

I'm exaggerating obviously, but I still think they don't build em like they used to, and there aren't enough consumers for anyone to have to do anything about it.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 6, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I own a lot of records. Never had a single warped record. What I mean is anecdotal evidence isn't much evidence either way.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but given the tiny percentage of people in 2014 buying physical media, let alone vinyl LPs, vs 35 or 40 years ago, the overall lack of funds in the music industry, and the fact that nearly every other manufactured product today is a disposable piece of garbage, does it pass the sniff test to say that records somehow are being made better now than when they were relevant and important?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, but you seemed to be making a matter of fact statement that was actually a debatable opinion based on anecdotal evidence and it stuck in my pedantic craw.

I'm not passionate about this, but I've got a poo poo ton of high quality vinyl releases as well as lovely releases from every era (not literally) and none of it is indicating that vinyl these days is worse.

If anything it went from every day item to a luxury thing. Just look at stuff like Death Waltz. A lot of labels go the extra mile for their niche market.

If physical records were at all relevant, there'd probably be some data out there. I mean, there probably is, but it's inside industry stuff. Just seems to be that in the extremely small batches that records are pressed in, pressing defects that make it to market are a big deal. When there's hundreds of thousands of copies of Dancing on the Ceiling pressed in a single year, one bad batch doesn't make a ripple. When you have Neil Young's new release come out with a run in the thousands (or maybe tens of thousands), and every single one of them has a manufacturing flaw because quality control sucks, it's a bigger issue. Just my take.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Glass Houses is like my 3rd favorite Billy Joel record, which isn't saying much. Never been much of a fan of the ol' piano man. The Stranger is a pretty good album, though. Big drop off after that one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

His 80s stuff was pretty good. The Bridge is a huge slide, but Glass Houses is Billy Joel trying to take on New Wave and Punk and making a killer album, with cuts like "All For Leyna" and "Sometimes a Fantasy" holding their own against the big huge singles. The Nylon Curtain has Laura, which is amazing, and it's another pretty strong album.

And then An Innocent Man has Uptown Girl.

Why would you not be satisfied with Uptown Girl? The presence of Uptown Girl makes it one of the greatest albums ever.

Edit: I mean, if you're going to own Glass Houses, you might as well, right?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-59808-billy-joel-glass-houses-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rpm-2lp.aspx

I had a cd of An Innocent Man that was mislabeled, and every time I'd try to play Uptown Girl it would play The Longest Time. Maybe they were all like that?

That being said, Billy Joel kinda stinks. Like, not Eagles level stink, but he's the lovely kind of classic rock format garbage. He's the opposite of Chicago, which is the good kind of classic rock format garbage. To bring this back around, a few weeks ago I found a mint copy of Chicago IV at a thrift shop. Just records, no box and posters, but it looks like it was never played.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Joel went off my radar when he tried to get "serious". Love Glass Houses, though. The Eagles were fine until The Long Run. That massively sucked. One of the first CDs I ever bought was Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. It was, at the time, one of the best-sounding CDs I'd ever heard.

Whenever I get an itch that a Billy Joel song can scratch, there's a Randy Newman or Paul Simon or Gordon Lightfoot or Tom Waits or Warren Zevon song that will do the job better.

And I don't know what to tell you about the Eagles. I've never gotten the appeal. Especially their hits.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Personperson14 posted:

You're not a dad born in the early 60s is likely the reason. They're not really the band that seems to span generations with popularity. Which in my opinion is the definition of the term "dad rock"

Nope, born in the 70s. But I like a lot of country rock. I could listen to the flying burrito bros all day. I like classic rock schlock like foreigner, the fuckin doobie brothers, bad company. That stuffs inoffensive enough. But is rather shoot myself than listen to Lying Eyes or Peaceful Easy Feeling one more time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I remember the music in Twin Peaks being godawful. What am I forgetting? Was the soundtrack they released different from what they played on the show?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I will fight you with broken vinyl shards.

I remember the awful lounge song, the song the motorcycle guy wrote, and like the opening intro music. I loved Twin Peaks and the music was perfect for the show I guess, but I'd never want to listen to any of it. Are you buying this just to have it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, that's the music I remember. Lots of bad synth, purposefully campy at times. Worked for the show, but is it particularly impressive on technical merits? Not really. Particularly emotionally stirring? Not really. It's melancholy sometimes (to the point of being maudlin), but really more silly than anything else.

Is it iconic TV music? I guess so. The Flintstones theme song is even more iconic. Iconic music in TV history is something I rarely, if ever, want to listen to. But I guess we disagree. And I get the collection aspect of it, if you're a fan of the show and want the soundtrack, I just can't ever picture purposefully listening to it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's an acquired taste I guess. I love its campiness mixed with a very real sense of unease. Which is just like the show.

I think it's like the show, too, but like the second half of the second season.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Now you're just going way overboard. Like way way overboard.

It's the sound of people in paper mache chess pieces in cabins for some reason. It's the sound of the goofiest scene with the orchid guy they shoehorned in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I guess you had to grow up in the 70s. Or something.

"Take It to the Limit" is my favorite Eagles' song and it wasn't written by Henley or Frey. A fact that probably still pisses them off.

Eagles trivia: Randy Meisner (who wrote the above tune) was briefly in another Southern California band, Poco. He got the boot from that band and was replaced by Timothy B. Schmidt. He later joined the Eagles. When he left, he was replaced by, yes, Timothy B. Schmidt.

That's like someone defending creed and saying you had to grow up in the 90's.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

shmee posted:

Are you saying you listened to "McCartney 2" but not "McCartney"?

Yeah, McCartney's good. And John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is the best solo Beatles record, but All Things Must Pass is second.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My Sears order came today, too. A little beat up on the corners, but not bad! I got Who's Feeling Young Now?, Midnight Marauders, and Vs.

Pretty cool little gizmo all in all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Side note: I saw Chris Thile last night at Schermerhorn symphony center perform his solo "Bach and other stuff" show, and was utterly humbled by his talent/charm. loving amazing.

He's a pretty talented dude. Kinda scary to think he's really just getting rolling now, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

het posted:

one of the funniest comedy bits about music ever

This is true.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Lenin posted:

How beat up are the corners exactly? Im a spergy perfectionist when it comes to sleeve condition but these prices are hard to pass up.

Packaging was lovely. Looks like it had been dropped. One corner on Vs was pretty crinkley but that was the biggest record too by a smidge.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

My Sears order came and none of my corners are beat up. Actually, everything looks pretty great. The box, for me anyway, was very similar to the Amazon style box for records. I haven't listened to anything yet, but it all came in shrink wrap so I'm confident.

$.99 well worth it.

I've only bought a few records from amazon but their packaging is way better. My order from sears basically came in a brown paper bag with a little cardboard sleeve inside. Not really complaining though. I'll take a beat up corner. I put in another order.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

Erm, my packaging looked nothing like that. Perhaps you got strange packaging. I ordered three records and this is what my stuff looked like:

sorry for the bad phone cam.

Yeah, mine looked like a crushed brown paper bag. You could tear it open. The inner cardboard was one rectangle folded in half.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

it's a shame that was the only shelf ever made that can fit a 12" record

For 70 buck a shelf they're pretty cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

midge posted:

I never understood the collector mentality of spending thousands on items then storing them in one of the cheapest ways possible.

Sorry, Uncle pennybags

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't pay more than 2 bucks for a record usually. And I paid $35 for my expedit cause it had a ding.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Badly Jester posted:

Let's say I get to pick between a Technics 1210 Mk2 in a reasonable state and a Rega RP1 with the 'performance pack', with the Technics being slightly more expensive - which of the two is my better option for hifi (but not quite :psyboom:-levels of audiophile) listening?

You can't go wrong with either. Rega's are sexy as all get out though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pookdaddy G posted:

What type of inner sleeves do you all recommend for when it comes to protecting your records? I typically use the Ultimate Outer 5.0 from sleeve city to keep my collection in check, if that helps.

Whatever anti static ones are cheapest. I think the last ones I bought were called disc master or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

More bad news. Prices on the sears site have all gone up. Looks like I missed out. :(

Like across the board everything's more expensive? I'm still seeing a ton of good records in the 10-12 dollar range.

Edit: yeah it definitely seems more expensive now. Guess it wasn't absurd to put 4 orders in in the past week?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The under 10$ records haven't changed pricing it looks like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
File sharing has really skewed the value of music, hasn't it? MSRP for records is really no different than it was for Cd's 15/20 years ago. Maybe less taking inflation into account. They're not really that much more expensive than cd's now. It's a lot easier to find deals on CDs though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Lenin posted:

Any idea on whether or not ones connected to malls would have vinyl?

You could call them. Some mall Sears are literally twice the size of others.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

Maybe try not spending a lot on them, then? I might be talking out of my rear end, but surely you can get the whole hog for under 100 bux in like any city?

You're not talking out of your rear end at all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

etcetera08 posted:

You guys should buy your records from the labels or artists instead of loving Sears, the epitome of all that's wrong with Corporate America. In fact, the vast majority of the artists that get named in this thread would probably be incredibly ashamed that you're flipping records and inflating Sears' profits like this. You know why records cost more at indie record shops? Because they can't put loving Chinese labor jeans out as a loss leader for $20 at the door. Just really sad.

I bought a copy of Sports so get bent.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

I don't give a poo poo what "artists" think. If you have an axe to grind, take it up with the real criminals trying to ruin this hobby. (i.e. people who flip records or the organizers of Record Store Day).

You're not being forced to buy RSD releases. How are the organizers criminals?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Personperson14 posted:

The only good thing about RSD is the stuff local stores do. Freebies and whatnot.

Yeah, the bags of free garbage that the store would pay to throw out if they didn't give it to you. That's what makes it such a special day. Not the sometimes interesting releases by artists you enjoy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Human Cow posted:

I didn't either... definitely going to have to keep an eye out for that one. The only Zevon I ever see at my local store is Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School :(
That's a great album!

AAB posted:

Vinyl Thread Crew,
Is there a good place on the internet to purchase a turntable and recommended makes/models? I'd consult the OP but it's a couple years old now and there could be newer better things out there! I have checked on a couple of the antique/reseller shops in the area and they either have wood boxes or nothing at all.

What do you mean by wood boxes? Lots of really nice tables have wooden plinths. Some garbage does too, though, I guess.

I doubt this op is that out of date, and the vintage/2 channel thread in IYG is good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

What's the most reliable website for ordering turntable parts? I recently came in to possession of a Pioneer PL590 (for free), I'm looking to dust it off and restore it.

Everything looks to be in decent shape, but I want to replace the needle because it's very old and hasn't been used in awhile. I shouldn't really need to replace the entire cartridge right?

I figure I just need

- New needle
- Preamp

and I should be good to go. I haven't fired it up yet, but belt seems to be in good shape as does the arm.

What kind of cartridge does it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Now I want to see Jr's listening room. That looks like a gnarly setup.