Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JehovahsWetness posted:

It's an ion usb table w/ a stock p-mount cart. It's a piece of poo poo.

I like his record store display case on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I don't think that's a very controversial opinion. Live at Leeds is pretty darn good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cloks posted:

This, pretty much.

Headed out to my local Sears department store today because I have some errands nearby and I'm stupidly curious about the availability of records in their stores.

Unless it's an enormo sears you're going to be disappointed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

OK I really don't want to debate about the best live record in any genre ever, but I do just want to say that it's absurd to say that live records as a rule range from suck to mediocre. They're absolutely essential to, say, jazz, and there's plenty of artists whose best record is a live one. Thank

Seriously. I guess Pearl Jam's to blame for trying to monetize every single thing they ever put on tape, but most live albums at least used to have a purpose.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I'd seriously question my friendship with someone who was excited for rare Blink 182 lp reissues.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like pop punk.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, 180 g seems like an excuse to charge more for the same thing. The record equivalent of those 24karat gold cd's from the 90's, except if record companies decided to exclusively press 24 k gold cd's as a business model.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

The physical weight from just holding the disc probably creates a false idea that the sound is fuller/more substantial. I don't but 180g for 180g, albums I want just happen to be that weight. I must admit they do feel better. I've had some flimsy records, and I can't help but think that affects how I perceive the sound.

I have some heavy-rear end speaker cables I'd like to show you. The soundstage is incredible with these badboys.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dudes, major goodwill score. Basically half of Rupert Holmes' discography, all NM or better, including two "unofficial" releases and a rare promo version of Pursuit of Happiness with a handwritten white label. Pretty psyched.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 22, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Club Sandwich posted:

Not knowing anything about Rupert Holmes I'm going to assume it's the kind of music dad's puts on when they're about to gently caress.

edit: after listening to Rupert Holmes, I stand by my opinion but I also really like it.

I think long gone are the days when Rupert Holmes would get you laid.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Jesus, Holmes wrote that? That means the man wrote a trifecta of candidates for worst song ever, between Escape, Him and Timothy.

Worst? I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your badge.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kirkjames posted:

Some stuff arrived today:

new Teitanblood at the top, Cult of Fire and Cirrhus on the bottom

I don't understand why you guys would buy brand new records at chain department stores. If you're actually going to the trouble of buying a physical copy of a brand new release, buy it from the band or the label. I understand if it's out of print poo poo, but buying brand new releases from sears seems completely antithetical to why someone would want to buy records. That's just me though.

Ok, you have to expound on why someone would want to buy records. Because I think you're skipping the obvious reasons.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I like listening to them. Is that weird?

I hope not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

Are these any good for cleaning records?

Supposed to be for the price. Although you might be able to find the exact same thing not advertised as a record cleaner for a lot less money

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eggsovereasy posted:

I've read some reviews indicating that some sticky residue was left on the record after using one of those.

That's weird, it's just silicone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Silicone, when done right and looking good and firm, can elicit a sticky residue. But it's an easy clean-up. You might feel guilty right afterwards though.

Rimshot.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Giga Gaia posted:

I want that Zappa thing a lot. Congrats, man. I'm also trying to get my hands on most of his original albums. Especially since he remixed all the CDs and stuff.

But, hey, vinyl thread. Are those record cleaner systems worth it? I've got some spare cash and I'm thinking of getting one. I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HFMTARFWTF4M&coliid=I1FKNXG96GIO9M since i've seen it recommended before. But is there another option? Possibly one that doesn't cost me a dozen records?

Build your own?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-professional-record-cleaning-machine/

EDIT: That's a really weird design. But there's a million different ones to model on audiokarma.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 5, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Dragging a hard plastic tube across the playing surface seems like a terrible idea.

Just buy the loving spin clean.

It's kind of interesting. The nylon string is the part that's actually in contact with the playing surface, but most of the ones you see online just ape those expensive record cleaning machines. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-WC...leaning+machine Some kind of arm with a velvet brush hooked up to a shop vac.

Here's one on audiokarma http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387590

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 5, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone know how to add a different version to Discogs when there's only one version on the site? When there's multiple versions there's a "Your version not on Discogs? Add a release" link, but it's not there if there's just a single entry.

There's not an Edit Release link in the upper right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I could be wrong, but I thought editing a release made a new entry. Or at least there was a way to do it that way.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It feels pretty good to be the only person on Discogs to own a record. I'm such a dork. But it feels even better to be the second person to own a record, especially when the first uber dork is trying to sell it for some stupid amount of money. Not so rare anymore, is it!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Okay I obviously don't understand how the site works because when I edit a release it's adding it as a completely different record, not as a new version. I'll let someone else clean up my mess, but I'm done editing releases.

I think that is how it works. They're all separate releases grouped under a master.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Click on the downward-pointing arrow next to the grouping of six, click 'Edit Master Release', check the box for the version you want to add to the group, and then click 'Save'.

Alternately, add it to the master by adding the number assigned to the release you created to the list in the edit menu of the master. It's a little clunky.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Edit: And I'll actually be getting a turntable next month to actually listen to the 20 or so records I have.

I bought 27 records today. You know it's a good day when you walk into goodwill and half the records in the bin are in protective sleeves. Then you get sad because someone who loved his collection either died or got divorced.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Some of my thrift store finds from yesterday:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, it seems like a Portuguese spoken word thing with an awesome cover.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Stopped into a junk store on a whim, walked out (for $2 each) with a first stereo pressing of Jefferson Airplane Take Off (record needs to be cleaned, but it's not scratched. Cover is nice, still in cellophane), first pressing of Music From Big Pink in awesome shape inside and out, real nice first pressings I think of Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers (with newspaper insert), a stereo first press of Country Joe and the Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body... I guess your interest level might vary based on how much weed you smoked this morning.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 10, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I brought my copy of Bawdy Songs Goes To College to an Oscar Brand concert once to get autographed but I was in a hurry and couldn't find the sleeve, so I just took the record. And I only had a bic pen, but the label is black anyways so sharpie probably wouldn't have looked good. Dude gave me a funny look. I think he sorta moved on past dirty ditties in the early 60s and was playing real folk music, but I only knew his dirty stuff. But now I have a copy of bawdy songs goes to college autographed by Oscar brand in bic pen on the label, exactly like someone would have signed their own name on their record, so nobody looking at it would ever be able to tell. Stupid

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 11, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Snowy posted:

Or bring a record bag if you think you might be buying something. They're pretty handy if you do much irl vinyl shopping.

Do they make those that say "give me a wedgie" instead of TEC?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'll buy some real trash if it's a dollar. I bought a Nancy Sinatra - Boots a few weeks back for $0.50. Seams split all the way open and the record looked like it was covered in dirt, but it plays perfectly after cleaning it. Would I have paid $8 for it? Not a chance.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

I just bought a copy of The Doors (self titled) original 1967 mono release in G+ condition. Ebay. I paid $15.50. Did I get a good deal?

I would've sold you mine for a cool $14. I know I'm going to sound like a trashpicker, but that's absolutely something you could have found at a thrift store/flea market/garage sale if you had a little patience. How bad did you need to hear the Doors?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

I was just thinking the same thing, so I came across this http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=EKL+4007&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

Granted the one I bought is only G+ condition, but people are paying pretty good money for this release.

Does it have Morrisson saying gently caress in The End? I should probably listen to mine to see if it's censored or not, but then I'd have to listen to the Doors.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Auction didn't specify. I guess it'll be a surprise.

I would have to imagine that an uncensored version would be worth considerably more than a censored one, and that a censored one might go in the $15.50 range.

stay depressed posted:

ya we should take a moment to recognize and understand how bad the doors are

Especially the first record. They had some fun songs later in their career. Peace Frog's a pretty good song. I like LA Woman. Touch Me is a great karaoke song. But that first record is some bullshit.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 14, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Had another good trash pickin' day. Got a 71' Revolver reissue (stereo), record is gorgeous, shiny and nice, cover got ...modified a little by a green marker. Beatles '65, nice shape. Double Fantasy that looks almost NM. Springsteen live boxed set. A Madman Across The Water, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau that are all in better shape than my current copies. Bunch of Sinatra including a nice Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. All a buck each, including the 5 lp boxed set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
In Rainbows is the same way. Doesn't fit in an expedit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

b0red posted:

I always found discogs site to be a pleasure to use. Figuring out how to add releases took a little getting used to though.

It scratches an OCD itch for sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Speaking of Discogs, what's the best way to spot a first pressing? I know you can look for a particular catalog number on the release year, but even then there are usually multiple variations. Sometimes the notes specify "original" but not always.

The codes on the runout, usually. Is this a discogs question or a record question?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Discogs. Say I don't own the record but I want to know how to identify the first pressing.

The first one in the list? If it's a famous record or famous first pressing it's usually in the notes. If it's Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees don't worry about it, just turn up that sweet, sweet sound.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or even just helping Discogs search out a little tiny bit makes it workable. Typing "get the knack" in will bring that album up as one of the first few hits, with the artist link right there. Google has spoiled us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone in here bug out over adding label variants to discogs? Like not for important releases, but like the 50th entry for a Hall and Oates record that doesn't have Side A in the right font or something? The amount of (let's face it, useless) information that's categorized on Discogs is impressive.