Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

at this very moment some nerd in CD is making an angry post about how Elysium was racist b/c many of the latino characters were gang members and generally sketchy dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the original series was shot on the world's worst loving bargain basement 1960s film stock. they shot everything on a trial and error basis

reminder: the "gold" tunics are actually green

they wanted them to be gold from the beginning, but the combination of awkward lighting and second-rate film stock led to this fabric choice

compare the left side (obviously lime green) to the right (gold-ish) -- the right side is much brightly lit like a film set

the first time they tried to do a scene with that saucy green alien chick in TOS they could not for the life of them get her to show up as green on the film. they tried dozens of different kinds of body paints and lighting setups but she always ended up looking very much not-green.

turns out they forgot to tell the dudes in charge of post-production or w/e that she was supposed to be green. they'd been making all kinds of adjustments to the camera and film to make the actress non-green and were extremely confused as to why she inevitably ended up green again in the next take.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i read this exact story a year and a half ago before i was even aware of peter watts
:iiam:

e: VV naw man it's OK i just had a moment of bizarre confusion and deja vu before i checked to see when it had been posted

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

battleship was a film in which the heroes exploit their opponents' hesitation to harm noncombatants in order to more easily kill them.

the robot short was pretty neat too, robots shooting guns is basically 90% of modern scifi media but at least these guys made it look cool.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i'm an idiot battlebots is the tv show with remote control robots. i was thinking about rock em sockem robots

should have just stayed with battlebots, people got real mad itt about this year's rock em sock em cash-in film and it is best not to return to that dark and terrible time.

battlebots is/was pretty much just combat RC cars. actual autonomous combat robots would be really cool, and I am aware that this exists already to an extent but basically engineers don't want their hard work destroyed so all the autonomous battlebots comps are either lasertag or sumo wrestling.

basically I want to see autonomous drone dogfighting with missiles and stuff.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Monkeyseesaw posted:

someone posted a link a while back that had all kinds of spergin over how long-range space combat would actually work. stealth is impossible because your ship has to radiate heat in such a way it cant be mistaken for background radiation.

line of sight is equivalent to detection.

i'm pretty sure the site in question is Atomic Rockets, which has among many other things a whole bunch of legitimately interesting and exceedingly aspergic discourse regarding the various ways in which we might blow each other up in space.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

so what year marks the boundary for "if you go back in time past this date as a modern person you will probably quickly and gruesomely die"?

i guess it largely depends on where you're going.

i'm going to (roughly) say 1700 for Europe and North America, 1850 for South America, and early 1900s for eastern Asia.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

infernal machines posted:

yes, but that seems to lack the sci-fi authenticity.

just paint it silver and stick lots of brass pipes and gears and stuff all over, it will then be v. sci-fi and impressive to your friends

ol qwerty bastard posted:

alternatively, coilguns are pretty cool and dead simple to build if you want a sci-fi weapon for a costume

then you can plink cans like a bb gun

railgun's definitely the way to go. hauling around a mega-ampere current supply and a dozen replacement rails would probably interfere w/ your beer-drinking more than many other costumes unfortunately.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

an super/ultracapacitor would probably be a better way to power a laser than a car battery since it's designed from the start to quickly discharge a whole bunch of energy all at once. it would also be much quicker to charge so you'd just have to plug into a wall socket between shots. or just shoot it while you're plugged into the wall, idk. just smack a bunch of these things in parallel and go to town.

lipos occasionally explode, especially if you sit on it while its in your backpack and then try to charge it or w/e. possibly not the best choice for a party (or the best choice, depending on the party)

comedy option: chemical laser

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i might go see Enders Game just to find out what they do about the plot-critical naked preteen shower death match
also to experience Harrison Ford's palpable regret and despair at the state of his acting career

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the Ender's Game trailers collectively spoil pretty much every possible interesting thing, "oh hey that effects shot of Ender blowing up a planet is pretty rad, let's throw it in", they've basically thrown away the pretense that it's all supposed to be a fancy simulation imvho

also very interested in how the blogging subplot will be handled, can't wait for a sci-fi hacking montage of Peter posting comments on Future HuffPo

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

while i do not doubt the capacity of future society to devise a hyperrealistic EVE sequel, the simulation angle is really not touched on in the trailer at all. if i were an uninformed peasant moviegoer and saw that trailer my immediate conclusion would more likely be "hooray awesome future spacebattle" rather than "hooray awesome future battle training simulation", just based on my hypothetical recent watchings of Star Treks and other such CGI spaceship battle spectacles. in the book the progression of Ender's training sort of eases the reader into the idea of super-realistic training simulations, and it's also described as a whole lot more abstracted than giant holographic spaceships. presumably the movie will do the same as the book, trailers are all terrible, Card is an enormous dickwad, etc, etc.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

bullied gay nazi

(me in real life, please do not judge, HH)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

no because there is now a never-ending stream of nonchallenging pap for this very market to buy in large quantities, they will never have to look outside of their comfort zone ever again

i'm fairly sure that this has always been the case. the vector for accessible entertainment is always shifting, but it's always been around in one form or another.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

quote:

A gifted boy is trained from an early age to become the ideal space fleet commander. He moves to Korea and becomes a pro-gamer.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hello i just saw Ender's Game. basically it was a shameful movie with a very few OK bits.
fuckin laugh on my rear end if i'm spoilering anything

passable stuff:
-battle room scenes were pretty neat and demonstrated an understanding of actual physics, especially the part where they change the direction of their formation by ejecting dudes.
-cool spaceships pew pew pew

bad stuff:
-holy poo poo the dialogue, i could have done a more convincing delivery if you woke me up at 4am with a rubber hose. i guess it supports the central theme of ender being an unlikeable sociopath though.
-holy poo poo every character interaction, gonna chalk this one up to child actors being child actors and harrison ford being a grumpy old man.
-lmbo at forced adolescent romance
-really bad depiction of the passage of time, felt like ender was at the battle school for three days
-a bunch of other stuff that i'll definitely painfully recall later tonight

weird stuff:
-they included the plot-critical naked preteen shower death match scene (with extra steamy soapiness), but changed it so ender "accidentally" breaks bonzo's spine and he doesn't die but instead lingers in a vegetative state. ender feels very bad about this, blames it on peter, and builds a lovely boat in order to cope with being a murderous dickwad.
-mazer rackham was a fighter pilot in the first invasion for some reason and basically did the thing that the guy from independence day did
-weird video game thing was included, political blogging wasn't. v shameful
-ender fucks off into space at the end and leaves everyone he's ever loved behind, although the last bit of the movie was much more concise than the corresponding part of the book

i think i would have liked this movie if i was an intelligent socially-outcast 12yo boy, just like the book. i don't think that ender was hitler in this one though.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a man enters an enormous flying, chanting stone head on a mission to uncover the secrets of religion, immortality, and the human experience. he comes down from his acid trip some hours later, his mind brimming with ideas for the greatest concept album in prog/tribal/funk fusion history.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

in the distant future, the war-ravaged wastes of what was Earth are ruled by a band of powerful men who wear red skivvies and preach of the evils of reproduction and the joys of slaughter. most quickly die of hypothermia and exposure, while the remainder dwindle away due to a terminally low birthrate.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there's also the asimov-approved i robot by the alan parsons project if you don't mind concentrated late '70s

alan parsons project owns and i had i robot on a cassette tape before i had really started listening to any other music.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Carthag posted:

i just read te first chapter of accelerando

is it supposed to be dumb as heck?

manfred is insufferable and theres been a weird sex scene already

the first part of accelerando is basically what would happen if someone used breathless gizmodo speculative-tech articles as the sole basis for their neo-cyberpunk setting. it gets better i guess, i don't really know because i took a break halfway and haven't picked it up again.

it has interesting ideas though, like space imams.

look forward with quivering anticipation to a whole bunch more weird future sex.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

please go outside or talk to a person instead of watching television in the idle hours of your life, even if lots of people claim it's really good. your time is way too valuable to waste on consuming, maybe go out and think for yourself of maybe even create something of your own for a change??

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

why would you watch more than one of anything, just identify the best kind of media and then the best example of that kind and then the best subsection of that and then the best moment of that and spend a few seconds experiencing it and then kill yourself

sometimes i wonder if i'll be able to recognize the high point of my life as it's happening. hopefully it's something interesting and meaningful and not the GoT season finale or the new Star Wars movies or your posting

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's this thing: http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~prepost/ELF.pdf

there's also a bunch of electrified dirt in Wisconsin for the same purpose

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

meanwhile some cined poster uses that line as the lynchpin of a gigantic essay which asserts that pacific rim is really intended as a deconstruction of [something] (because every movie has to deconstruct something)

is it OK if my new science fiction cinematic epic constructs instead of deconstructs? if current trends continue eventually we won't have anything left to deconstruct, so it's important to construct new concepts so they can later be deconstructed by shameful modern lit majors.

please apply postmodern literary techniques responsibly.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Kirk posted:

if your not stem then gently caress you

this but with more seething pent-up hatred towards those i deem unproductive and burdensome.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a film that serves as a deconstruction of the institution of excessive analysis and willful misinterpretation of popular mainstream works by exhibiting a series of large and visually exciting explosions and secondary sex organs while deliberately rejecting any overarching narrative or, indeed, any sort of actual authorial intent.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Thor 2's climactic battle sequence is one re-cut away from being pretty great slapstick comedy

also loving laughing on my rear end over here at the bad guys being elves of all possible things

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

excuse me

dark eldar

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a false and bad statement

Shaggar posted:

the dark elder ships were rad as heck flying thru the city all dodging and poo poo.

a truthful statement, why put guns on youre spaceship when you can just amke the whole thing a big knife

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

and then at the very end loki, who was clearly stabbed, somehow was faking a stab wound in the chest, shows up back home, and without explaining what happens next is sitting on the throne, in disguise. did he kill odin? did odin hand over the throne? is odin just taking a poo poo and loki is loving around? its a gigantic part of what should be an evolution in the overall storyline and it doesnt explain a good god drat thing and i dont really care that it was the last thing in the movie, theyre making a 3rd and it just makes no sense to have such a huge change without a single word of explanation. movies shouldnt rely on sequels to actually make sense.

out of all the stuff in the film i thought that this was presented way too bluntly, so lol at giant nerds not understanding movie plots when they have anything beyond the most basic degree of complexity i guess

loki's special comic book power is that he can do illusions and stuff, like pretending to cut off Thor's hand. loki pretty clearly hates odin for deceiving him, barring him from the throne, etc, and was really only held in check my his mother, who ends up getting shanked by an elf. loki goes with thor to planet elf to help him destroy the evil goo. in the process he creates the illusion of getting stabbed, offering some sort of closure to his turbulent relationship with thor and getting separated from everyone else. he disguises himself as a guard and goes back to asgard to stab odin and take his place on the throne, thereby achieving his goals of getting revenge on his dickhead father and gaining the throne instead of thor.

hubris.height posted:

comic book movies have always and will always continue to suck

this too

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

why do you all keep watching comic book movie

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

based on history

real talk, the site of the battle no longer exists, having long since fallen into the sea due to tectonic and erosive forces

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

qntm posted:

At the beginning of Quantum Flux, a catastrophic quantum flux event on a nearby quantum moon is threatening to destroy the planet Quantum Flux. When the planet's quantum flux shields suddenly become inoperable due to a quantum flux surge, the inhabitants frantically evacuate. At the end of the first chapter, the novel's protagonist, Quantum Van Flux, clutches the hand of his dying mother, who before succumbing to quantum flux poisoning tells her son that a quantum oracle has chosen him to travel back in the time flux through a quantum flux rupture and save the planet by harnessing the quantum power of a strange, mysterious quantum force known as "quantum flux."

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i watched Lynch Dune again with some buddies a few weeks ago and it was legit pretty awesome and i'll fight anyone who says it isn't.

the Dune universe is supposed to be this insane drug-addled orgy of weird dudes and giant dick monsters and insane tyrants and Sting, and i feel that Lynch Dune captures that exceedingly well.

Jodo Dune art looks pretty crazy, and Giger's descriptions of his concept art and his whole life generally are pretty ridiculous and probably not sane.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SaaS to Mouth posted:

jj abrams to remake dune

baron harkonnen flying out a hole into a lens flare team rocket style

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hubris.height posted:

lynch dune is good for watching for laughs and such but overall its not great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJD19I5DK0

Emilio posted:

The only character from the movie i see when i read the book though is Stilgar. Everyone else is visually different in my head.

i wasn't sure how to picture or characterize Piter when i was reading the book, but after seeing Lynch Dune i definitely know.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

fuckin lmbo if you dont arrange your daily experience so you basically never see advertising.

thanks to adblock and not watching tv i really only see ads when i go to movies with my broskis or otherwise step out into the world (a rare occurrence). it boggles my mind that people actually spend portions of their finite mortal lives sitting and watching commercials on television. still probably wouldn't assault anyone over it though (sorry shaggar).

still can't wait for my black mirror "say mcdonalds to skip" invasive targeted corporate marketing

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

shaggar are you sure you aren't a sleeper agent who's been deep-brain implanted by Nissan's experimental marketing division to violently unleash against the Toyota creative team when triggered by certain buzzwords to give your masters a leg up in the hypercompetitive world of affordable consumer vehicles

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Smythe posted:

i liked ur space vampire movie u had me watch last time so ima watch this one too. also totally blind

i did this and i have returned satisfied. it was pretty chilling and humanity's willingness to obey the machines and turn on their fellows to ensure their own immediate survival is really deep and scary.

the 1970s blinky lights and printouts computer engaged in cybernetic voyeurism is extremely yospos, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

haha you dumb nerds are having a serious argument about movies and video games and how much it sucks/owns to have the pictures go by twice as fast as they usually do, how about you guys go outside and maybe talk to a person (maybe a girl??) and stop letting things that peter jackson does be a major point of contention in your life experience

• Locked thread