Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NoodleBox posted:

So I was just thinking about some doom stuff and decided it should be posted here

the ultimate Doom has 4 episodes, each consisting of 9 levels which equals out to 36 levels

Doom 2 contains 32 maps, as do both TnT and plutonia

The master levels for Doom 2 has about 20 maps (I think)

and Doom 64 also contains 32 maps

which in total ends up being about 184 maps for Doom as a whole

I'm probably missing some stuff (I don't really count the 1000 LEVEL DOOM PACK CD stuff as legitimate) but I believe this is about how many there are

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

There's also the eight new PSX Doom maps, the two/three new maps from the Jaguar Doom base, the two (terrible) maps included as part of the Doom 3 Collector's Edition for Xbox, the exclusive No Rest For The Living episode included with XBLA Doom 2, the GBA-exclusive multiplayer maps... I think that's everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

catlord posted:

Weren't the Saturn and Playstation versions pretty much the same and the PC version the odd one out? Ugh, the strafing speed in the PC version is the worst.

The console versions run on an original 3D engine, the PC version runs on a pre-DN3D version of Build. Even so, there are are significant differences between the console versions, too - different/modified levels, different enemies, modified powerup behaviour, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Kins posted:

The developers of Prey 2 may or may not have forgotten to do anything outside of their heavily-scripted announcement demo (Lots of he-said-she-said on this...)

Just to be clear, a lot of that "he said, she said" centers around Bethesda/Zenimax attempting to forcefully acquire Human Head by forcing them to take loans and then making it impossible for them to ever pay them back, just as they (allegedly) did to Arkane and attempted to do to Splash Damage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Have I posted about the WIP Wolf3D port for Sega Megadrive yet? No? Whatever, have an update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPeDNi8ZkoM

Latest build here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9zgtyx495y2acxg/wolf3ddemo_b6.3.rar

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jordan7hm posted:

I asked this over on doomworld, but figured I'd try here too:

The individual mappers for the official Doom levels are pretty well known, but does anyone know who authored maps in the other IWads / related ports?

I managed to find the Doom 64 level credits in an old interview with the developers, so I'm specifically wondering about Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and any massive console port changes.

Some interviews from Michael Raymond-Judy indicate he was primarily responsible for half of the E1-3 Heretic maps, though he worked in some capacity on all of them, and that he and Eric C. Biessman split development on the E4-6 maps, with again MRJ touching most of them for secrets and DM thing placement. He specifically said that Brian Raffel made E2M6. And Tim Moore did something with E4-6 too, though not as much as Eric, I gather.

I did have some info on Strife and the deservedly-forgotten shitheap HacX, I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: HacX map breakdown: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hacx

EDIT EDIT: Strife's maps were by Jim Molinets with assistance from Tim Willits of ID, but I can't find an exact breakdown right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 4, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Kins posted:

I swear there was a thread about the Exploding Lips guy ages ago that died almost instantly. As far as I remember he's currently part of an instrumental band named after some Team Fortress stuff. Maybe that was just a bad dream while I was feeling ill?

He goes by EJ Gold, Gorebagg and a hundred other names. A quick Google search will turn up an inexhaustible torrent of :wtf: , I don't even know where to start with that guy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If it's like Doom64EX, it'll be a source port that lets you take the cartridge data from a ROM and play it on PC.

It's not, it's more of an imitation than an attempt at an ccurate source port like Doom64EX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Turok 2 had way, way too many loving weapons, and from what I recall there was no sensible way to switch weapons using a N64 pad - your only option was to cycle left/right through your entire nine-hundred-gun inventory whenever you wanted to switch to another weapon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is this the thread for bitching about all the stupid changes they're making to Quake Live because holy gently caress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Grimthwacker posted:

I had the same reaction, but I'm not trusting anything until I see the official notes. Sounds too fishy to be true.

ctrl+f "@sponge"

http://pastebin.com/JvuVRrwG

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quake Live has a new announcer voice now :911:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm really curious as to why they changed the announcer. I mean, I can understand getting a hold of the VA again after this long is practically impossible, but were a whole bunch of lines really needed? It's not like they introduced any dramatically new game modes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That reminds me, is the Left 4 Dead arcade game out yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Get Keits on the phone!

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shootmania?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Was Ricochet as bad as those games, too?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lost Vikings is okay, Jazz Jackrabbit though...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the latest build of the Wolfenstein MD port - this one adds support for both the JP and NA mouse controller: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7b2p6vrxtaxdquv/wolf3d_b10.7.rar

The dev has promised some episode 2 content for the next public build, too.

Here's some footage of the last build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAYgBTJTOCk

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Woolie Wool posted:

What does the 32x version have over the Genesis version?

It requires a 32X, which should be the biggest strike against it.

They're both just novelty ports, really, but the vanilla MD port is more interesting to me because I don't think anyone thought the stock MD would be able to handle a game like Wolf as well as it does.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cat Mattress posted:

If I wanted a Doom-inspired art masterwork, I'd rather print and frame this:

I can't find a link at the moment, but didn't Romero's wife commission one of those Chinese knock-off artists to paint a lifelike rendition of a scene from Doom but the artist just recreated the reference screenshot, so now they have a big pixel-y oil painting hanging on their wall?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

laserghost posted:

There was one Russian FPS which used voxels heavily, ZAR (or Zone of Artificial Resources) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQP9cm5Us8k. I used to play the 3-level demo quite a lot, and apparently the game had quite a following in it's motherland, with LAN tournaments scene etc.

I remember playing this and another game by the same devs called... Madspace? and having a lot of trouble just getting them to run, and then when I finally did get Madspace to run it was a boring piece of poo poo so I quit long before seeing any of the Build-esque gimmick stages I wanted to see.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The classic Sonic games are already on Steam, aren't they? No need to bother with the also-rans.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

haveblue posted:

The sequel was officially canned a few days ago.

Bethesda officially confirmed Human Head's game as cancelled a few days ago, which isn't really news. It's been dead for a while now.

They said nothing about the Arkane Texas version which has never been officially acknowledged but has been confirmed real by multiple sources.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

Wasn't the original Prey in development hell for like ten years too?

Also I've never played Prey. I should get on that.

Yeah, Prey was originally conceived by Tom Hall after he'd finished up on ROTT but it went through a ton of changes and different versions before it finally came out. They were just generally floundering on what they wanted the game to be and how the portal tech was gonna work, I think.

Prey 2 is a whole different story - Zenimax bought the IP for god knows what reason and has struggled to do anything with it, and the Human Head game fell apart because Zenimax/Bethesda tried to impose a forced buyout on them and it didn't take, so now they're trying again with Arkane US because they don't want to admit they wasted their money on a dud IP, I guess?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quake 2 N64 has completely original levels and original music.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe Strife is finally getting an official re-release and they hired Kaiser to do the repackage?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, cool, I was just spitballing. I bet it's another Night Dive job.

I always thought the quickest way to find out who owned the rights to Strife would be to just release it yourself and wait to see who sends the cease-and-desist notice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah you could do pre-calc but why would anyone bother doing that for a system like the Lynx that a) had a tiny ROM capacity and b) had pretty decent (for the time) hardware scaling? It simply wasn't worth the effort.

Speaking of weird Duke ports, did anyone mention that Piko Interactive somehow got the rights to the terrible Tectoy Duke game for Megadrive?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/203841167278870530

"@MoritzPGKatz @timfford Hooray internet -- extrapolate and infer from a non-hatred of Derbyshire that I "hate black people". I don't."

It's settled: John Carmack does NOT hate black people. Case closed!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I found a tweet from Mr. Carmack saying Brutal Doom was "brilliant, absolutely brilliant. this is what we were aiming for all along"

Did he post this before or after examining the source code? This is very important.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dude Huge wishes he was as suave as Sweeney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRGUKMKadJ8

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't OBC full of terrible stereotypical Arab terrorists?

The only thing I clearly remember about that game is the guy who shouts "YOU LOSE!" when you die.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blake Stone, homie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
drat, throw some Aeons of Death in there and that's pretty much the perfect way to play Chex Quest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Doom's fine but it's no Fortress of Dr. Radiaki.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Linguica posted:

Considering the Strife source code is long lost, the re-release is going to be sort of a reimplementation from scratch, built off an existing Doom source port.

Do we know for sure that this is still true of the re-release?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fair enough, I thought it might have been officially announced somewhere and I'd missed it, no biggie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Hog posted:

Still chipping away at Powerslave. Started picking up some of the Team Dolls (at least, the ones I saw elbryan42 pick up in his longplay of the game, which I've been watching out of boredom lately), got what I think is the final weapon, completed the Transmitter (which AFAIK locks me into the good ending)...

But what got me today is this: when I went to boot the game up, I was greeted with this for a title screen:

Uh

After wrapping up my session with the game, I double-checked that this is what shows up on both SSF and Yabause. Yeah, sure enough:

I guess this is some kind of "hey I'm the programmer for Powerslave on the Saturn and it's my birthday so yaaaaay my photo replaced the title screen" easter egg. Kinda cool, actually. I just wasn't expecting to see a grinning programmer's head instead of an Egyptian tomb...

EDIT: Oh yeah! Happy 21st, Doom. You can legally drink now!

I'd never heard of this either but the first GIS hit for this guy (Ezra Dreisbach) is a photo of that exact screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What surprises me most about Strife as I replay it is that the VA is actually pretty okay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zaphod42 posted:

This artist Wayne Barlowe did a whole suite of paintings on a concept of Hell that he'd been working on, I think for a book he was writing. The whole thing has an unbelievable sense of scale and reality, he imagines Hell more like a sci-fi planet than a strict afterlife, and the surreal horror of it all is pretty intense.

http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/

As I was looking through his works, I just kept thinking "This is what I want a game to do, this is what Doom 4 should be".

Wayne Barlowe already did the concept art for a big video game, but unfortunately for everyone involved, it was Dante's Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There were a few games that let you use dual-analogue controls by holding a controller in each hand: Goldeneye, PD, the Star Wars pod racer game, Robotron... one of the Turok games, maybe?