Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This thread is wonderful. :allears:

So i wonder if any of you saw or played this too, a loooong while back a quake total conversion (and stand alone if i remember correctly) was shipped alongside a computer book, in its own box and everything.

The game itself was good for the time (or my young expectations), an improvement on the quake formula at least, sadly i dont remember its name, all i remember is the rough outline of the setting and the ending.

You're a mercenary, you've just finished doing a job when the guy who regularly buys your services dodges the bill again and decides that killing you instead of paying you is the smart choice, que that plan not working and you going forth to get your money and revenge. The ending is you finding his hoard of gold bullion after beating him in a good old fashioned fps slapfight. The setting was a gritty sci-fi but not too far flung.

Anyone know it? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Sounds like Malice, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUMNh1pBR4

Since it was a commercial TC it might be trickier than usual to find.

Yep, you got it in one. I dont really intend to replay it, but i just wanted to remember what it was, maybe dig out a video play through/letsplay of it and relive some nostalgia.

The other game mentioned on this thread, Strife: Quest for the Sigil, is one of my most loved FPS's and a huge inspiration to me.
I really want to write a book set in a universe similar, sure its very cheesy and mostly played straight but there is something very compelling about its blend of mythic fantasy, a normal-by-all-standards world suddenly being upturned by the arrival of a cosmic being that brings industry, firearms, mech's and castles guarded by force fields. Its such a wonderful clusterfuck of a setting :allears: and if anyone knows of any other settings like it, feel free to share with me.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to play doom multiplayer? Trying it with an buddy and we keep getting desynched (Was using Hamatchi), plus its giving us the deathmatch weapons and i've totally forgotten how to flag that off. :v:

Listening to him burst into laughter at how crazy brutal doom is was fun while it lasted tho :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SurrealityCheck posted:

Did you guys hear about the ROTT remake coming?

If ever there was a property I was not expecting to see again, it was RotT O.o

RotT was another one of the classic "Batshit insane map design" era fps's right? I only remember it for the hand of god and dogmode powers. :v:

If it was another map design era game, i worry for a remake, since it seems modern studios cant get the design right anymore. Then again, maybe judging the industry by the standard set by Duke Nukem Forever is unfair, Serious Sam the 3rd was alright. :shobon:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I hate this, please don't say this. I would work on one in a second if my bosses thought it would make a good RoI :( The problem is that the audience that enjoys military shooters and the like are more reliable and lucrative of a base to focus on than people who want old school clever design and mechanic driven games.

Aww, hosed by the fanbase then huh? :( Well i'd be happy to know that at least the desire to design cluster-gently caress labyrinthine levels is still appealing, hopefully you'll get a chance to do it sometime when the FPS tastes branch out again. :3:

Pretend its an open world shooter! Or something! :pseudo:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Red_Mage posted:

I disagree, I would love to see some of the Black Ops/Modern Warfare maps ported to doom/quake, especially for multiplayer. Also the level of hidden stuff designed into the zombie mode maps is ludicrous.

For example, this is Launch, from CoD black ops.

This is awesome. :allears: I guess some devs are still living the spirit of crazy level design, just trying to find ways to express it that wont get their managers seeing red?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 has been released! 20 maps, three years in the making. Should run on all source ports, though if you're using ZDoom you should grab a SVN build.

These maps are so good! :swoon: Been playing it co-op with a buddy and its hell of alot of fun.

Any other good suggestions for co-oping? Gonna give DTST a go in single player, how about DTWID: The Lost Episodes or Winter's Fury? Winter looks rather awesome but im not sure if its SP only.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Trying out Winters fury and... huh:

I think somethings going wrong. :raise: Trying it without Brutal does not help, nor does changing its modload order and no one seems to have had similar problems to me since part 3 was added. Any ideas? Was using Quickly launchering gzdoom and gzdoom is upto date.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Backup, then delete your INI file as a test, and start with a fresh one - see if that makes a difference. I've seen weird poo poo build up when you carry the same file through a whole mess of GZDoom revisions.

Awww, it worked but then after the first icy imp and shield room ambush it happened again. :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So me and a buddy finished up with Back to Saturn X with Brutal Doom, and god drat it was a blast.

Would like to know if the author has the music setup anywhere for download, so many catchy tracks. And if anyone knows how to get to the secret level, the level that you need to be on to access it would be appreciated unless more details are kinda needed. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Did you find a solution to the issue where BTSX will conflict a little with the pallette that Brutal Doom uses? Certain sprites - not too many or too intrusive - will have random pink-ish pixels.

I... honestly never saw anything like that. Heres my setup if it helps at all. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Seconding the blood suggestion, such a great game.

So i've never played System Shock 2, had the demo, watched the letsplay, where can i get it, do i need to do some tinkering to get it to work, and is there a good source of making it look nicer without it being some contrived and painful install?

For a game this loved, it sure seems like pulling teeth to find. Wanting it Honest looks like it'll cost me the same as a new release. Yeah, dont think i want it that badly. :sigh:

Install Gentoo posted:

I like SiN because it's goofy. Also because a lot of its problems don't really mean anything nowadays - like how it would sometimes use a few hundred megabytes of space for saves or sometimes just have bad framerate out of nowhere on video cards back in the day.

I never played SiN, but i got my hands on a free copy of episodes (with a 3d card i think) which i honestly enjoyed. Not exactly a superb game but some really nice levels. How much is Episodes like SiN?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

dark1x posted:

Can't agree with you there. Painkiller subscribes to the Serious Sam formula by presenting a series of wide open, flat rooms and hallways flooded with waves of enemies. This is not how Doom was designed to play. Doom focused more on "unlocking" the map through finding key cards. Those cards, however, were not simply random items that you would find lying about, rather, the end result to essentially "solving" each combat scenario. There were times when you would clearly see a key right at the beginning of the map and you would have to spend 15 minutes figuring out how to actually get TO that key in order to unlock the next section. Enemies were not always encountered in large numbers and the levels demanded exploration.

Serious Sam and Painkiller were linear games that focused on throwing enemies at you constantly. None of the intricate map design you could find in Doom (or Quake 1, for that matter) made an appearance in any of those games.

I think it's an important distinction to make. I've enjoyed Sam and Painkiller myself, but they are not replacements for Doom.

Thank you. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, yet i could never fully articulate why serious sam didn't feel like doom at all to me. :v:

Still a superb game regardless.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

gooby on rails posted:

A map only helps when you don't support room-over-room. Some of the levels in Marathon 2 and especially Infinity are utterly incomprehensible on the map view.

Metroid Prime did it alright. Sure it took getting used too but once you're comfy you're mostly set for good.

http://jansenprice.com/metroid/met5_mp/mp_3dmaps.html

To be fair 'tho, we can debate how heavily "3D" this map really is. It doesn't overlap very often at all. I think Prime 2/3 might have done that more but its been forever since i played them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So im desperately trying to find an old FPS, but the problem is, while i remember some details the name utterly eludes me.

Sci-fi setting. Multiple people to pick from at the start, influenced weapon choices i think. You were in a mine, refinery and military complex, it had gone nuts and was the only source of GO-FASTER ore in the universe. You fought your way past processing lines, refinery centres and mining and the plot was you getting thrown in there as a mercenary to murder everything, bring control back and collect your pay check.

I THINK the character choices were a loving huge alien green thing with some crazy arm blade and a honourable death wish, a lady merc too who was the "go faster and stab things" type and in it for the crazy money. The third guy being the generic space marine type. I might be getting things mixed up.

Ring any bells?

VVV Eradicator.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 4, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sir/Ma'am, i thank you for the night of sleep i will now get, instead of spending it trying to remember this game's name. :3:

No idea how GOOD this game was objectively speaking, i loved it as a kid but hey... nostalgic reaction is hardly a good measurement of quality.

I also vaguely remember it being hard as balls and rather atmospheric with its details.

DoombatINC posted:

Could it possibly have been the authentic DOS computer software and triumph of gaming that was Assassinators?

Holy crap what. This game looks utterly off its rocker. :stare:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 4, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Back To Saturn X i cannot recommend enough. My enjoyment of that might be skewered due to Brutal Doom and co-oping the entire thing on whatever passed as BTSX's "hard co-op."

:v: Spider Mastermind around the first corner on level 1, gawd drat.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Still need to extract that music for listening to. Its really rather good.

Someone posted before a possible way to do it, sorry to be a pest, but could you explain it again? :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Holy CRAP im enjoying most of this alot.

Entered "Throw money at this artist." territory when i hit Dirac. Enjoying this track way too much! :3:

And done, thanks for the music Essel, this track is just amazingly awesome and pushed it way over "sold!" for me. Hope Itunes doesn't take too much of your cut. :ohdear:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 12, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DoombatINC posted:

Noisier, awesomer guns :colbert:

Oh! Shogo! I remember playing this and ONI around about the same time so alot of that is blurred together.

Do remember the mech's tho. And fighting them. And fighting them in a certain way later. :stonk: Loved that fight.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

horse mans posted:

Strife is so good but the weapons are so weak-feeling and I can never get through it because I keep killing villagers.

Strange, never really felt that in strife. Machine gun's kinda flimsy but everything else is plenty killy. :black101:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Using Zandorium, how do i get mods that request things such as "Requires latest SVN" to work? I've tried a few hack jobs with GZdoom and im getting nothing. Just want to do something crazy and try to mash Psychic with BTSX and multiplayer :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Cold As Hell's spoilered bit.

:stare: loving sold.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

Dude that's not even funny.

Couldn't agree more. :frogout:

Seriously now, with Duke, i must agree with a poster a few pages back. Duke3d is just so absent in my headspace. The only significant thing i remember is being rather freaked out by the birthing cinematic at the start of the 4th chapter as a teen.

Blood? Blood i remember vividly. The train, the fairground level, the morge. The weapons, the bosses the quotes... :allears: Doom i remember clearly for its co-op. I even remember Quake better and, i'd say Duke3d was the better game of the two! But its just gone unless i really dig deep into memory. Its surprises me, considering how much i played it, how utterly forgettable it is.

:smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So i've been trying out Psychic and Hexen. E-gawds it has some headache worthy backtracking! :stare:

Psychic is amazing regardless! :allears: Just too bad its not working with multiplayer.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sobatchja Morda posted:

And on another note, I've finally finished Scythe in Brutal Doom! Took me more then an hour (shameful, I know), but at least I got a 100% killscore...gently caress you, 17 Cyberdemons!

You better have taunted them. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nah its not, the mastermind is the weaker of the two sadly and the BFG gives you a huge edge.

Gotta love brutal doom for that, "Spider Mastermind? Lets remove the hitscan and give it explosive rounds!" :black101:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
While this topic is cooking: Any suggestions for murderously difficult co-op wads? Got 2 mates who i play doom (brutal doom ideally) with and i want something... nastier to surprise them with. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Samsara has been updated with a ton of bug fixes and tweaks, and some (currently Zandronum-exclusive) new features like Melee-Only and Party Modes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U630t_ImxLE

I wonder (and hope) if Samsara will ever get Strife-Guy as a playable character. :unsmith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

misterdoo01 posted:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/shadow-warrior-reboot-keeps-setting-and-katana-ditches-sexism-racism-and-mp

I'm not surprised by this, but I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about it either. I'm concerned that this will just be Hard Reset (gameplay wise) with a ninja reskin.

Heh, people complaining that its "ripped out the heart and soul of the game." Yeah okay, lets be frank here, It was never that funny anyway.

Still, i hope this Shadow Warrior does retain some sense of humour and self mocking, at least Lo Wang is meant to still be a smartass, just not a duke nukem smartass.

Traveller posted:

That talk of blending melee, powers and guns makes me think of Undying.

And thats what makes me interested in it. Sounds like it might be going for a bioshock infinite angle. More of that (refined further) please. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dwarf Fortress reskin? XCOM-like Doom RTS?!

I'd wish for the latter if anything. :unsmith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Oh, hell yes. Project MSX is back - new version due out at the end of the month, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8oGz0TUHY

Really good gameplay mod. Manages to feel both 'modern' and doom-ish at the same time. So, UAC Ultra is the recommended default level pack for it, Back to Saturn X is another good, detailed techbase campaign - any others that would fit?

Can't wait to power-punch some Barons in their stupid goaty faces.

Man that seems really good! I love the "spend shield-power to power up attacks" mechanic. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Narcissus1916 posted:

I remember playing Wolf 3d on an uncle's work desktop computer the year it came out. I was still bopping koopa heads with mario so to my preteen eyes Wolfenstein was practically a simulation. In particular, my uncle came in a few hours later and was shocked to see that I was still grinding through one of the earlier levels.

"Why are you stuck? Can't kill the nazis fast enough?"

"No, I keep getting lost. This is a maze!" I shouted in frustration.

My uncle wordlessly moved to the third drawer in his desk, ruffled through some papers, and pulled out his own hand-drawn maps for Wolfenstein. Switches, treasures, secrets, all of it. All on graph paper.

"Then map the maze." He said.

Thats amazing. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No problem.

MSX Beta 2 is coming out soon, yeah? I am so looking forward to this poo poo. :unsmigghh:

I was going to post "hell yes i cant wait for MSX, need a FPS that feels empowering to play.", then i saw:

The Kins posted:

Hey. Hey you. Watch these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqhHXmiCwNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kdOfDmQNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLi6RhcIII

I think the good times might be coming back. Just between you and me.

:unsmith:

I hope this trend continues.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Anyone played this? It sounds fun, it looks fast enough and i like the art style, but trailers often lie. :argh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Question about Project MSX, was it multiplayer in the previous beta and/or is it going to be multiplayer in this upcoming one?

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

EDIT: Also, since we've been talking about Serious Sam and Painkiller a bit lately, I have to say, am I going to get drawn and quartered for saying I just don't really care for either of them?

Nope, im in the same boat! Serious Sam's movement is just... too... slow... Serious Sam 2 added a speed boosting pickup, if i could have that on all the time, it would feel right.

Painkiller seemed great fun to me, but i had some FPS issue that caused it to go away too high and become unplayable. That killed my interest for that game pretty quick, even 'tho i expect its an easy fix.

The slaughterhouse room's never bugged me, because i was playing Serious Sam Co-op, and Painkiller's interest quickly evaporated.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
:smith: Seems project MSX has gone dark, not a peep out of the maker and its past the intended beta 2 release.

Anyone know any better?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Any idea how i can get project MSX to work with Doomseeker? Getting a script error unknown actor property when i try to host it as a server :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh my, aiming the Godhand downwards if you suck at landing the blow is just the best thing. :swoon: Now i want Back to Saturn X Episode 2 already Ghhnnnngh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cream_Filling posted:

Your job as an executive is to make money for yourself and look good to your bosses, not make a profit for the company. When a team outside of your immediate demesne does something good, it makes you look bad by comparison, so your goal is to kill all possible threats to your authority. Especially when a bunch of fans makes a product that's actually better than your multi-million dollar project. They have to die before they release somethign playable because otherwise you can't write them off as being an unviable project with a few pretty screenshots.

... You phrase it so soul crushingly well. :smithicide:

Oh well. I'd rather have a Blood modernization remake anyway.