Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

chaosapiant posted:

I come in here occasionally to check the status of SS2 EE. I’ve been putting off my play through of modded SS2 as long as I can, having never played it.

If they don't gently caress it up, it's probs worth the wait. I'm drat envious though. I'd love to re-experience that game blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Christ, I haven't seen those jDoom models since like, 2005.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Is SS2 EE slated to have coop still?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'll never forget playing the original Timesplitters on PS2 back when it launched. Still waiting for the first level to load.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Big Scary Owl posted:

Not sure if this was posted but I found this just too wholesome :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx0sAasCxA

Adorbs.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Really grateful to be part of the millenial cohort who discovered Doom via a friend whose older brother/uncle/dad installed it on the family PC and you got to play it as a group experience when you went over to their house.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Vile Stuff posted:

I'm with you. Eternal is an intense, super fun ultra violent trip once it clicks. I wish they kept the RoboCop, dark satire tone of Doom 2016 in Eternal over the terrible Blizzard style lore dumps that we got, but the gameplay is up there with the best FPSs.

The biggest thing keeping me away from Eternal is the lore stuff, calling it Blizzardesque totally summarizes the vibe I get from it. I really liked Doom 16 though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Weedle posted:

hell computers

imo this is fine as far as plot and exposition goes, going any further is the problem

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hasturtium posted:

That's it, in a nutshell. I can't say I minded how it upped the intensity of the game's dark spaces, though Carmack indicated years later that the only real reason the limit existed was because it was too hard on low-end systems to have the flashlight on AND shadows rendered AND dynamic lights from muzzleflashes going. Which, as someone who remembers playing the game on a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM and a Geforce3 Ti 200, I can believe.

I remember wanting Doom 3 so bad but I only had like a GeForce FX 5200 and an Athlon XP 2000 (because I was a broke-rear end high schooler), so it was a slide show like, most of the time. Still beat it. But yeah, not surprising they tried to put limits on the amount of dynamic lighting stuff at the time.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It was pretty astonishing how much better HL2 ran considering it actually looked better in a lot of regards.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So do you remember if the FX5200 came with a copy of Splinter Cell—ostensibly to demonstrate the card’s capabilities with the game’s lighting engine?

Because I remember owning an FX5xxx for a short while that came with a copy of the game, only it ran like complete garbage because the card was woefully inadequate for the task. It did not make a great first impression.

Negative, I think mine came with Painkiller maybe? Different manufacturers for the same chipset if I had to guess. It actually played pretty decently. But yeah, that card was capital-B Budget level.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

A new Half-life(ish) campaign but entirely built around coop a la Sven. Full length, not just a lovely add-on, environmental puzzles etc etc.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Wtf does half life 3 really confirmed????

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Kins posted:

Clive Barker's Undying.

Underrated game. Not at all an immersive sim but still a great ride for the time.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do value those things, I even switched the voices to Russian, but it’s just not doing it for me. I’ll give it a little more time.

It's very much in the style of Half-Life in the sense that if you find a section tiring, just wait a bit, because the game is consistently switching up the scenarios. But if you've been through a few of them and not liked it then it might just not be for you.

No spoilers, but there's a section with two opposing factions that you have to get through that I found pretty impressive.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It's gotta be the iteration on the UT engine right? There was a trailer for that one that made it actually look pretty good for the time.

https://youtu.be/gyn3XwZ-Z1c

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Maybe the System Shock remake will actually make it's release date later this summer.....

I preordered this because they sweetened it up with the free SS2:EE offer, but now I'm wondering if they're gonna slip the release date again. :sigh:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

When Half-Life 2 came out I was just off of summer vacation of freshman year of high school.

I'm 33 next month. :rip:

I got it for Christmas that year, on break my freshman year of high school. 33 coming up. It still feels like one of the most advanced highwater marks in gaming to me even though it's so... so old...............

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Who wants to talk about Haze

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

david_a posted:

I have absolutely no nostalgia for that game.

I remember the first time I played it I told my friend “I had no idea they could make a game this much better than Quake” based on - I dunno, the enemies could duck? The game utterly wore off its novelty though and even watching videos brings back immense feelings of tedium.

Man, yeah. I recently bought Quad Touch and some legit copies of Quake/Quake 2 on GoG and thought I'd have some fun reliving the memories. I bounced off Quake 2 hard. It wasn't even like I played it at launch, it was many years after (pretty sure I got it with the deluxe Quake 4 edition), but hoo boy. That is just one very brown and very boring game in 2021.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

I have never completed Quake 2.

Although its more orange than brown, isn't it? Quake 1 is the total sepia game.

E: I just remembered that technically brown is a shade of orange.

They really ran the gamut from straight orange sky to brown-tinted everything else (rusted I guess?). The thing with Q1 was that at least each of the maps had personality. Q2 is a lot of vaguely military-industrial hallways.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I love this.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Bishopvi posted:

If I recall, a lot of review magazines were talking about how the human processing level was amazing/intense. Upon playing it last year, I didn't think it stood out that much. It is not a bad game, it just isn't a great one either.

Quake 4 actually had a pretty neat sequence of your character getting transformed into a strog in first person. That was always kinda neat.

Really the whole "d-day, but on an alien planet of cyborgs" was a pretty cool premise. It's a shame q2 is unmemorable otherwise. Q4 could've been a great game in the right hands but it sort of fizzled out too.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I think there was health regen too? Some other small gameplay tweaks. It wasn't a bad game, but in hindsight idtech 4 just was... not good for making games. If the same sort of game had been made in the same vein as the contemporary Call of Duties it might've been pretty good.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

Quake 4 was the first Quake game where I found the action itself was somewhat mediocre. And it had two terrible tank maps. But I liked lots of things they did with the flow and how the story progresses, and the set pieces. I still remember how there was a big enemy that was teased in some places before you get to fight it.

I liked (old) Prey a lot, despite being what we could call an anti-old school FPS, where you couldn't even die.

Re the poster above talking about ironsights etc in a mod, my thing with Q4 was more about the setpieces. They almost pull it off but it still falls short.

Was Wolf 09 really idtech 4? I always forget it exists.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Kins posted:

Speaking of retro, Quake is turning 25 this month. On the 22nd specifically, I think. I have no idea what the community has planned, but I hope it's awesome.

https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1399732550491385856

This fucks me up because I remember being in high school and there was a big project called Quake 10 Year, which was using Darkplaces to totally revamp Q1 with normal maps, dynamic lighting, etc. It never went anywhere, and seems to have been scrubbed from the web, but it looked cool at the time. I just thought it was dumb to specifically called it "Quake 10 Year" in honor of the tenth anniversary of the game, but now it just makes me feel super old knowing Quake is turning 25.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Volte posted:

I remember that, it looked goddamn awful. The site is still up on the Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20061108052322/http://www.quake10year.com/

:whitewater:

what the gently caress lmao, I remember thinking this was amazing in 2006, ahahahaha

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Twof: The Dentists Must Pay

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

TNO gets mad points for doing something new with the franchise, thematically at least. I think in 09 people were just fatigued of shooters, doubly so WW2 shooters, triply so meh revivals of old franchises (MoH did its gritty modern warfare reboot around this time, too). In hindsight it stands out as a hidden gem in a storied franchise, but contemporaneously it was just another solid if unremarkable shooter launched in the holiday season. I never played it for that reason based on reviews and my limited budget at the time.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

360/PS3 era PC-port-of-console-games were typically total poo poo, yeah.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Q4 is entirely fine.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Guillermus posted:

Call me crazy but I've played through Quake 4 like four times compared to the two of Vanilla Doom 3 (and one BFG edition).

I had no issues with it on both of my plays - once on a contemporary build where it ran kinda rear end most of the time, then again years later with a beefy build. It is just overwhelmingly fine.

I like to revisit Doom 3 sometimes for the mood of it, but Q4 doesn't really have much of a unique identity in that sense.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bought the original HL1. It’ll be interesting going through it after playing Black Mesa. I haven’t played it since it was new.

I’ll post thoughts here when I’m done.

Me and some friends played Sven Coop recently and it's a pretty good time, if you want a different way to experience it. Kills the sense of isolation of the base game though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It's a pre-Dishonored game by Arkane, fwiw.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

7 minutes of System Shock gameplay from the Research level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWaCLBUCeA

Looks cool. Announce a release date, cowards. (I preordered for SS2EE)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

When in doubt, @ them on twitter.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Decided to play Sigil on a whim, it's pretty good! Feel like the mod team really connects with what the original team was doing back in the day, pretty impressive.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

site posted:

Considering there will never be another half-life game I'm not sure where the concern for opfor being kicked out of canon is coming from

I mean, I don't think Valve really gives a poo poo about canon in any serious capacity, but they also dropped Alyx out of the blue, so I don't think it's fair to say we'll never get another game. The property itself is just only useful to them as a canvas to try out new tech and gameplay ideas, story is secondary.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Johnny Joestar posted:

prey 2017 adding a nerf dart crossbow that can specifically activate touchscreens is still probably one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game of that sort just because of the cool poo poo you can do with it, especially if you're specifically avoiding using neuromods for abilities and whatnot

Most of the "weapons" in that game are explicitly not weapons - not even in the Dead Space "mining tool but actually gun" way, just legit not even remotely weapons, and it's so so good.

Also OG DX is good, as are the Jensen games, and gently caress me, I just wanna replay them all now! I think HR is my favorite in terms of hitting a sweet spot for the series, but they're all so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Just a heads up about MD: Everyone complains that it just ends, which it kinda does story-wise, but it actually has an effective finale from a gameplay perspective. So don't let that naysaying turn you off, it's a really very good game. But HR is just a better overall package imo. (People say to avoid the director's cut? I'm not sure if it's even possible nowadays, but I can't speak from any experience, I just own the original)