Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow Warrior is kinda the same, most of the levels look decently realistic compared to a random section of Doom which is indeed pretty abstract other than the occasional techbase (which are still pretty abstract; E1M1 is a hangar? what?!) but if you actually look at the whole map and stop and think about it none of it really makes any sense at all and its still designed just like a Doom or Heretic level, just with a little more realistic doodads here and there.

E1M1 definitely could be a hangar. The big thing you're staring at at the start is a landing pad, and the window to the acid pool opens up further. (Damned if I remember how though.) It'd have to be a fairly small ship, but then again Doomguy is Commander Keen's distant relative, and his ship was pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I was inspired to check out the bundle thanks to this thread, and though I'm very happy with it overall as a bundle, holy poo poo on toast is Daikatana terrible.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Megatexturing is more than texture streaming, it's a process of compiling every image and combination of images used in the maps into a single game-optimized resource so you can have an effectively unlimited total texture budget and aren't limited to reusing the same tiled images everywhere. The source asset collection for Rage was loving colossal because the artists could composite tons of unique images onto every surface and let the content pipeline deal with it.

Wolfenstein TNO really did make use of this. It's hard to notice but pretty much nothing in the game is an obviously re-used texture, apart from signs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Keiya posted:

I wonder if Apple actually realizes how far that rule goes? Reading it strictly, Spacechem can't get an iOS port, Minecraft PE can never have redstone, etc etc etc

There's a straight up Commodore BASIC interpreter you can get with its own graphics drawing script. I think Duke3D will be OK.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Did he ever finish adding Noah's Ark 3D support? Planning on streaming that on Sunday for shits and giggles, and if I can do non-vanilla I'm going to.

I would also accept a GZDoom port like the one for Wolf3D.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah it works, but I think it only supports the re-release he made. ($5)

...y'know what, gently caress it. I'll give Wisdom Tree five bucks.

edit: No regrets. This is amazing.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blzut3 posted:

Actually Wisdom Tree sees a very small portion of that. ;) Be sure to plug the Steam Greenlight page while streaming (there's a link on the itch.io page), we need all the votes we can get.

The n3d files are unmodified and work just fine in upstream ECWolf. The only difference between ECWolf and the new Noah3D.exe is that the re-release loads noah3d.wad automatically for music and a few cosmetic changes. All of the changes are free and open source, so if you already own the DOS version of Super 3D Noah's Ark you don't need to purchase it again, although I do appreciate those who have.

Nice, definitely will do! I'd love to see this on Steam, ridiculous as it is.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mogomra posted:

How about Pain Elementals spawn two more Pain Elementals first, and then they start to spawn Lost Souls? :unsmigghh:

Or, to save on coding, they spawn Pain Elementals until they hit a limit, then they all spawn Lost Souls until they hit that limit. You only need to make one monster type that way! :pseudo:

Edit: vvv now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 18, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think the situation is that dire. There will always be a market for entertainment that requires intelligence.

Market, yes. Publisher backing? Less so.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nostalgamus posted:

Does anyone here know if zDoom fires weapons slightly lower than other source ports?

There's a secret in MAP01 of BTSX ep2 where all my shots seem to land just a smidgen too low to hit the button, and I vaguely remember having similar problems in some other WADs.

GZDoom at least fires based on the center of the screen unless you're firing at an enemy, and it's affected by mouselook. From a two second test here though it does look like you end up hitting just below the reticle if you turn that on, so you might be on to something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Segmentation Fault posted:

I didn't like the timing on that youtubedoubler so I made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1iA65iwMQ

I played this with the volume muted the first time and I STILL HEARD IT.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh snap, I always figured it was just waves of fat. But there are def stripes on there (and waves of fat :haw:)

Also look at how happy that Mancubus is! :3:

Oh my god his arms are just poo poo from Home Depot. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mod sassinator posted:

It's not a trace:

I don't know what else to tell you if you think it was traced from the D&D image. It's stretched differently, the horns are different, the teeth are different, there are different features on the chin.

It's not traced but to claim it's anything less than REALLY heavily influenced by it is self-delusion.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mod sassinator posted:

Seriously you guys want to think the image is a direct trace from the monster manual, even when there's an entire sprite sheet of images that were created at different angles and poses? Why would they trace one head on image when they're already building the models, photographing them, digitizing them, and cleaning them up so they can get all the angles.

:psyduck: They traced the one head on image? Seriously!?

You're this confused by the concept of tracing a single image and then making other frames of animation to match it? It's really so far fetched as to be mind blowing?

I think you need to get out of the house more often.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nintendo Kid posted:

By that standard cheats are a core mechanic. They're in the game and you can choose whether to use them.

It would be an entirely different story if we started talking like Gamesharks or external cheat programs, mind.

Core feature maybe, not core mechanic. What the hell is the point of level balance if the core mechanic of the game is "players can opt to not die whenever the hell they feel like it"?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nintendo Kid posted:

A distinction without a difference.

I have to believe you're basically just trying to rile people up at this point, but maybe you're just that guy who cheats his way through every game and gets mad because they're too easy.

Or gets mad that they're too hard when there's no cheats?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RyokoTK posted:

Why are you idiots even responding to fishmech

It's almost a compelling discussion. So close, and yet so far.

e: vvv :lol:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alain Post posted:

Not what I said. "Degenerate play" describes play that deviates from the basic assumptions on how play should be conducted. This can be both harmless fun, or damaging (in multiplayer games, especially).

Thanks a lot, you gaming fascist. t :mad:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nintendo Kid posted:

How? Maybe you should just not alienate other players enough that they gang up against you?

The whole point of the term it's that it's any behavior that comes out of the rules that isn't explicitly intended or planned for. In most games, collusion is not even unintended, it's fully expected it's going to happen, because that's just how people normally are. Only very naive developers don't expect it to happen at all.

So you're basically saying people are being rules-ist and need to check their follows-directions privilege?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nintendo Kid posted:

People already are following the directions. :smug:

Since when was IDDQD included in the instructions?

I mean that in all honesty, I remember having my mind blown as a kid that there was a not-frontend way of being invincible all the time that also didn't invert the screen colors. (Trainers are strange.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nintendo Kid posted:

iD announced the codes on bbses/the internet after they let people figure them out on their own (i believe it only took a few weeks). It's been 21 years at this point so...

So by this logic, the Doom source code is also meant to be considered while playing the game?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ChickenHeart posted:

Looks like Brutal Doom v20 is looming ever so closer; now destructible bodies are back in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479koRc6gj8

I don't know much about the Doom engine; how does that whole "corpse slumped against the wall" animation work? It's boggling my mind.

Looks like the body against the wall is just a dummy enemy that doesn't do anything, so it then has 8 directional views.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arivia posted:

No, it isn't. That's the entire point of Anita's video - even if we have blank slate characters, their gender, race, agency, etc matter in terms of identifying and working with them. It's the kind of thing that's easy to miss if you're a cis guy who has everything match you, but these broad strokes of identity matter to people not commonly represented.

Additionally, American equating a blank slate with a burka is incredibly Islamophobic. Women aren't silent, aren't suddenly not people, when they cover themselves.

Sounds like if anything he's splitting hairs. A blank slate isn't a good "character", which is his objection, even if a blank slate woman is a good thing in Anita's POV (which is probably right, they're just two people making separate arguments with the same words since people tend to be shortsighted on the internet).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

scroton_ posted:

I never mentioned anything about mapping in my posts, only modding.

Furthermore it's obvious I meant only modding from the start, since the toxic brogrammer culture I mentioned in my first post would only apply to modding since mapping does not involve coding anything.

Hey! You! The one reading this! Shut the gently caress up! No one cares!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'll admit I actually have not a single clue what you're talking about at all, you're just being a shrieking moron who has an axe to grind.

MONKET posted:

my next TED talk will be attacking toxic brogrammer culture as we know it and how it plagues the doom modding industry like the ebola

The original modding industry. You know. No, not that one. The one with all the bros.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just watching the Doom 4 short "gameplay" trailer since I hadn't watched it at 60fps and I realized the music is a remix of E1M1. :3:

And the sped-up gameplay that got posted has a "Mein Leben" tossed in there too. Nice touch.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

arcsig posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer was the only reason it was rated M.

I've always wanted to play the Halo games because they look pretty fun, but I really struggle playing shooters on console. Not in an elitist "PC keyboard/mouse master race" way, I just really suck at aiming with thumbsticks. So I've been waiting to see if the whole series will come out on PC so I can play them straight through. Or at least just 3, ODST, and Reach. I really hope they do it eventually.

I'm pretty sure Halo got an instant M because it had player-caused blood splatter decals. The original Halo didn't even go online, it was all LAN play.

e: vvv That could too it too, yeah.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

arcsig posted:

Yeah, but the ESRB is usually fine with killing aliens, even if there's blood. Killing humans with blood is usually where they draw the line.

Also, I forgot about the zombies. I've actually never played it, just watched my brother. That could be it too.

You can definitely kill marines in Halo. You're just not supposed to. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
This horrible gaudy bastard is my favorite mouse ever: http://www.amazon.com/Zelotes-Button-Optical-Wired-Gaming/dp/B00IFRH6JS/

Been going strong over a year now, totally worth $12.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I've been playing FreeDoom out of boredom and good god these levels are huge and boring. And who the gently caress decided to have blue-rimmed doors that don't need a key!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Why did I expect this to work? More importantly, WHY DID IT WORK!? :catstare:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

wow dude i think you're going to face a war crimes tribunal over this

you were only supposed to send them back to their home planet

CRUNCH AND POUR

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

catlord posted:

I'm curious what you did. Is that Samsara? I immediately assumed it wasn't but I'm not so sure looking at it.

Brutal Doom, though I play BD with classic weapons because reloading in Doom is dumb.

I kind of wish Brutal Heretic and Hexen were real things. One can dream. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Brutal Doom at 320x200 is something really special. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Casimir Radon posted:

At least some of that stuff has got to be stolen Outlaws assets. The music is The Ectasy of Gold from The Good the Bad, and the Ugly. Probably not licensed.

I tracked down the dev's website and asked if there's a .wad available, so we'll see if anything comes of it. I'm on a total GZDoom kick right now so I figured why the hell not.

e: Also it's a Russian dev, so yeah assets probably at least slightly stolen, ha.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone at all things Infinite's writing was any good. It's genuinely some of the worst in a AAA game in recent years, especially the DLC. :v:

It had really dumb writing but some excellent VA. It was a great run through the first time but it definitely doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Minidust posted:

Don't current-gen consoles still technically render at 720p, just like the last gen? These "HD remakes" of games from like the PS3 are amusing. I guess it's mainly a pedantic complaint, since jumping to 60fps can certainly be a worthwhile improvement.

Most PS4 games are 1920x1080 and both systems output to 1080p after scaling. Up-ports generally get a native resolution of 1080p and doubled framerate, like Last of Us, Uncharted, or Tomb Raider, so I'd expect Bioshock to get the same treatment.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh man, the art on this video was on the steel tin Quake 3 special edition that I got at Dollar Tree. (It was the Linux version, all you had to do was download the .exe and use the same files for Windows.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also you shouldn't be happy that you didn't play the new Wolfenstein. It's real loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Minidust posted:

Reaching back a bit, but how does one run Perdition's Gate? I grabbed the .ZIP but it contains what looks like the full file structure of a DOS-era game. I see files called PG-RAW.WAD and PG-RAW-X.WAD, as well as a bunch with DEMO in the title. Do I just throw one of those into a source port and call it a day, or are there other assets and stuff I need to use from that zip?

Same question with the ZDoom TC of Wolfenstein actually. It comes with a bunch of .bat launcher files, but... I'm on a Mac. :saddowns:

I've tried loading the assorted files and cfg's on top of Doom 2 but it keeps crashing with actor errors.