Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Marburg loving owns, end of story. His walking away at the end while yellow suit is screaming for help is fantastic

Damned. I've never had that ending. He either disappears or there is a bossfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PootieTang posted:

It's easier to just have the player pick between red, blue, and green endings and just use the same FMV's with different tints.

Someone at EA is going to get fed to the sharks for that. I just haven't figured out who.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder if part of that is because Chris Avellone insinuated that Heck was the one playing both sides in Taiwan and told Omen Deng that you were the assassin, so Leland may now think he was being played by Heck as well. Or Heck is playing everyone. Which he is.

Anyone got a funnel?

Wait, where did avellone say that? Curious minds want to know

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

one thing that I still don't understand after 4 playthroughs is what the original goal was for the Saudi missions. Halbech sells missiles to Shaheed. Shaheed uses them to blow up airplanes. Tension in the region increases. From Halbech's point of view, Mission Accomplished.

Why did AP get involved to take out Shaheed? And why did AP target an arms dealer who turns out (in the ending credits) to be instrumental in destabilizing the region - and as such is an asset to Halbech - to get to Shaheed? Everything else in Saudi can get explained - destroy the missiles to avoid anyone knowing that it was Halbech tech that was used in the terrorist strike, find shaheed by bugging an airfield and searching an Al Samad camp for logistical information (and being very in-your-face with their military deployment pushes Al-Samad to retaliate against US targets) but the core reason for being there is lost to me.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 8, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Genetic Toaster posted:

When Mina says she was the one who burned you she means she was the one who launched the missiles.

Also, backing up the Heck theory: Heck knows that Scarlet was the assassin. They were on Halbech's pay roll too.

does heck actually state that in the endgame? It's been a while so i've forgotten (and I've found triggering Scarlet's confession can be difficult)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

titties posted:

I've been wanting to do another playthrough for a while but I usually wind up starting, playing through the first set of missions, and then quitting. The problem is that I am tired of going stealth / pistol / martial arts, but I am terrible at game and can't make any other approach work.

Shotguns/assault rifles work fairly well, I've found. You do have to be a bit careful not to stir up the hornets nest until after you've stealth-killed a few guys to make the fight a little easier. Also take those portable medkits with you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Two Finger posted:

ORV DO NOT WATCH THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jYR9g85Xw

For everyone else, enjoy Thorton at his smuggest, most aggravating. "Boo loving hoo," indeed. :allears:

It's really disappointing that you can't get a similar level of verbal smackdown if you come across him during the endgame.

Or really the lack of similar verbal smackdown with other characters.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orv posted:

Goddamnit seriously? That explains that bullshit. "You killed Marines, no agent gets away with that for long." No I didn't? :ohdear:

If it makes a difference, it's afaik the only area with such an egregious bug (in terms of choice/consequences)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I dunno, Thorton taunting Albatross before the final mission was pretty great too.

I've never managed to do that - iirc the option to contact that individual gets greyed out. Does that individual actually show up in the final mission (and can I kill them there?)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

The only opportunity you get to kill that individual comes earlier, when you find them in a compromised situation.

aaawww. :(

Why can't I have my cake and eat it too?

monster on a stick posted:

Correct. He was also 'burned' during a Deus Vult operation. Also, the person running that op was Alan Parker, and if you build up Marburg's dossier to 100% and don't kill him in Rome, in the end game you can spill the beans about how Parker was the one that burned him, and get treated to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE

Alternatively (marburg/other character endgame spoilers) inform Parker that Marburg tried to/succeeded at killing his daughter, and Parker'll attack Marburg.

This game.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 10, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Speedball posted:

Regarding an Archer playthough: Killing everyone you can may conflict with banging every woman in the game because Mina gets pissed if you get too much on the collateral damage. SIE, on the other hand...

Lana basically is the middle ground between Sie and Mina in terms of violencefun loving.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Reading this thread made me decide to reinstall the game; and ran into a technical issue. I finally managed to fix it, but here's a brief post if other people ran into this: the gamersgate version uses the european patch. Not the north-american patch. So be sure to use the correct one. Next, go to the Alpha protocol/binaries folder, right-click on APGame.exe, and change the compatibility to windows xp service pack 2. That's what fixed it for me.

OS is windows 7 (x64).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

^ I believe it also works if you have a tech specialization.

I can confirm. I believe the magic number is 8.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just discovered this:

https://www.widescreenfixer.org/

it allows you to play AP in widescreen. Launch this application before launching AP, and you'll get glorious widescreen on pc. (

warning: does screw up some cutscenes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've run into a small issue. I'm trying to piss off westridge as much as I can. During the Intercept Nasri mission, he should give a -1 if you alert the guards. However, I've picked the "chrismas trees" dialogue option and didn't get an opinion penalty. More than that, when I disable/kill the guards I get a +1. Is there a way to use the mission introduction to get him to -3 or -4 (opinion from tutorial & SaudiArabia tv dialogue currently gives me -2)?

another item: end game news voiceover. Does killing Nasri give a different ending for Saudi Arabia than capturing the prick?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Huh. I just encountered new dialogue. In the greybox, I did Parker's special task and did the shooting gallery spraying as many bullets across the level as possible, leading to a score of 25. Never bothered to go to darcy. When talking to Westridge, at one point he says "I wouldn't think any less of you". This time, however, he said "I wouldn't think any less of you [beat] Well, not any less than I already do."

drat Yancy, that's cold. Also, surprised that they put that in.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, I'm going crazy here. This has to be a bug. Can someone confirm this? Nasri mission: purchased all the intel, but the weapon shipping subgoal (the one in the last chamber before Nasri) will not show up. The only explanation I have is that the subgoal (and the interactable object) will not spawn if you allow the guards at the beginning of the level to go on alert, but don't defeat them.

AKA: 1. start mission. 2. pick suave. 3. Wait for guards to go on alert. 4. run away. 5. goal "defeat guards" never goes away. 6. subgoal at end of level doesn't spawn.

It's the only explanation i have for it not showing up. It's infuriating.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So here's my dilemma. I'm interested in the dev design notes, but very little else. Do I really need to fork down $74 just for that aspect?

I'd really prefer if they'd make a website where I put down a budget and can assemble my own package with them determining that reward X would cost you $5 extra and so on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Munin posted:

You have 30 days, just follow it and see how their updates pan out.

I intend to, just wanted to fume my annoyance.

edit: "annoyance" is a bit strong. Mild irritation is quite apt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Holy poo poo at Maddison knocking the poo poo outta Thornton :magical:

Never had that happen. I really need to replay this and be the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

I gave up halfway through. Mike rear end in a top hat is a dick.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

all i can find is this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ55oqaSF7yFrC95isR2e8TTX5pVp8J7z

It's been too long since i played it, I have no idea if there are more tracks than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

fez_machine posted:

I can't remember the exact process the poster described, but I think it's either negative opinions from everyone else and positive Mina opinion or choosing the smug bastard Thornton options for everyone else and positive Mina opinion, and maybe those combined with the spoiler?

But the gist of the conversation is that she can't believe that you could be so much of a jerk that even though you've been a jerk to everyone else, you've conned her into liking you.

It's a super emotional reading and I remember it only because I watched a youtube of it.

I wonder if the trigger is that opinion with literally everyone is negative but is positive for her? Because as much as I'd like to go through that scenario, I can't be an rear end in a top hat to Stephen.

• Locked thread