Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
Fitz was a scene-stealer. My favorite is this scene with him and Leo in the situation room. They go from cute to unsettlingly insightful in seconds.

All seven season spoilers.
I have to say, I really like Will, and it breaks my heart when he and Toby fought because both of them were my favorites. While I didn't agree with it, I respected Will's decision to back Russell early on. All the senior staffers thought he was bland and mediocre, but in Russell's first episodes he set out to really be an effective politician. He earned my respect for reacting to Will and Toby's attacks on the teleprompter with grace, and he proved himself to be intelligent during the nuclear testing episode, when it was he who recalled that Israelis were testing submarine launched nukes.

Russell was not the natural leader Bartlett was, but he seemed willing to learn, and Will was a true kingmaker. He even got a dead guy elected! Bingo Bob would not have been a great president like Santos or Bartlett, but Will could craft him into a decent democrat, which to me is infinitely preferable over a strong Republican like Vinick.

I also enjoyed his romance with Kate. I thought it was hilarious how they had their first romantic encounter, standing next to each other at formal party, pretending to talk to each other to avoid having to talk to other people :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

I think I've posted this before but the West Wing also has some xenophobic twinges now and again. Nearly every single foreign leader is portrayed in a negative light. They're always either slightly sinister, or for "friendly" countries they're always arrogant, or a blowhard, or a drunk, something like that.

I loved the stoic Indonesian president, even though that episode contained a few mistakes about Indonesia that only an Indonesian would really care about.

Plus, the Indonesian deputy totally put Toby in his place for his arrogance and callousness.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

kingturnip posted:

It's odd. There's a lot of dialogue dedicated to how Bartlet gets through White House Counsels like cheap toilet paper and then Babish re-appears 6 years later, in the same job, without anyone commenting on it.

I only remember that dialog once, in the episode that introduces Babish.

And Oliver did see them through the MS controversy, so that might have been a significant commitment step.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I love CJ and Nancy's dialog in the episode where a Georgian ambassador offers CJ some weapons-grade uranium.

CJ: It's just sitting there behind what he's describing as an excellent padlock.
Nancy: It's a miracle nobody's boosted it yet.
CJ: The Russians don't guard this stuff?
Nancy: They gave 'em the padlock.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Kloaked00 posted:

On Holy Night now, one thing that always bothers me is how the last we see of Zoey and Charlie's relationship they're fine, and all of a sudden she's dating French royalty.

Speaking of the daughters, I'm rewatching season seven, and I'm learning that I enjoy Ellie the most, especially the wedding prep segments. The fruit fly guy is so twitchy and weird and out of place, but it works (in a way that Ryan Pierce from the fifth season never did).

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

Another one of my least favorite exchanges. Will and Kate, 7.10
People don't talk like that. Particularly the "alarmingly alluring" and "dismayingly so" parts.

There could be no way I would enjoy this show and rewatch it regularly if the characters talked as people do. If I want clumsy, unoriginal, mundane and believable dialog, I'd eavesdrop conversations at the bus stop.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Rewatching A Proportional Response, at one point Mandy is standing outside Josh's door and he asks her sardonically, "Why are you here?" In my mind it sort of became an existential and meta question, as if he were asking her character on behalf of the viewers.

In all honesty, I actually don't hate Mandy, but the universal negative response to her presence fascinates and amuses me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

MrBling posted:

I think it is possible to enjoy Sorkin's dialogue while also realising that nobody in the world actually talks that way.

This is true, but I personally can't understand how the latter prevents the former. The real world is full of unclever moments. It also does not have perfectly arranged lighting, a whimsical soundtrack, and political problems that can be explained and fixed in 44 minute digests. Pointing out how stylized The West Wing is seems about as insightful as pointing out that Van Gogh's paintings don't look like the real world.

What's even more bizarrely criticized is the wit of the writing. Maybe my taste preferences do not have an upper bound for cleverness, but I have a hard time remembering any time I ever felt a work of art was being too smart. Sorkin's punchy writing fits so well with the fast-paced directing and ensemble cast. If he's jerking off while writing scripts, I'm okay with it because those scenes of intense wit give me braingasms myself. I'm skeptical that the show would have improved if the writing and directing were more cinema verite.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

When the line makes you think "that was written because the writer wanted to talk about iambic pentameter" rather than "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome", then it's not successful.

That's a valid reaction and one that understandably would frustrate you when watching The West Wing, but don't use "you" when you mean "me" because I have never had that reaction. Not just while watching The West Wing. I've never felt that way ever, as best as I can remember. Even further, if I could remember those moments, I'd be ashamed of them as I am about other things I do not want to be a part of my identity.

I don't mind when writing is so witty that it draws attention to the writing process. Stories are artifices, but the realization does not kill the magic for me. The more I learn about TV/Film-making, the more I can't "unsee" certain things, but I'd go crazy if I let this ruin things for me. How I could I ever enjoy the things I love most if delving deeper into them made me appreciate them less?

The scenes in The West Wing are in fact trying to tell you more than just Ainsley is feeling X and Tribbey is Y. On top of other creative goals, The West Wing does go for a stylized, witty tone. Having Ainsley hyperventilate in iambic pentameter hit the bullseye for me. Going for wit is like showboating in sports. Of course it's going to draw attention to itself, but that's also its intention.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

It's a really common linguistic device, its hypothetical, I don't mean "you" specifically and there's no implication that it does. Genuine question, is English your first language?

It's not, but English is the language I've used for the majority of my life. I'm more on a personal Macavoy-esque quest to kill the usage of the indefinite you, especially in places where opinions are shared. The indefinite you is barely fine when the topic is objective ("When you jump off a plane, you fall towards the Earth"), but why dodge ownership over a personal reaction? You watched the episode, you had the reaction, you put the feelings to words, and you shared them online. Why throw all that work away to the universal?

quote:

What the gently caress?

Don't even worry about it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I really enjoy the episodes where animals come to visit the West Wing. The turkeys, the goat, Big Bird, White House needs a petting zoo.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

It bothers me that Bartlet didn't commute that dudes death sentence.

This and not supporting a study on remote prayer to pass a foreign ops bill were my biggest Bartlett letdowns. Danny was right, why are Democrats always so bumfuzzled?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I mean we routinely have him calling the shots in the situation room while the President is attending to other matters and the idea of someone who is not elected making these decisions independently makes me a bit uneasy.

Toby calls Barlet out on this, but I think the West Wing may have inadvertently changed my mind a little. Bartlet is closer to his Chief of Staff and his National Security Advisor than he is to his elected Vice President or any of his Senate-confirmed Cabinet secretaries. I'm not sure who I would rather be my President's 2nd in command, someone picked that could pass a Senate confirmation, or someone picked without that extra reservation.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

He could have been saying "yeah, right!" about the medical school part!

The President: "Say, Zoey's growing up nicely, isn't she?"
His Deputy CoS: "Man, I'll say!"
The President: :mad:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
God drat, 10 years later and he's still awkward around women.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

At least he doesn't still have that hair.

It's a mild improvement.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

LordPants posted:

Speaking of I just saw Josh Lyman as a crazy volcano killing man something from a very average episode of the X-Files.

Josh really let himself go after leaving the White House to work at that cabin in the woods.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ah, a new season of television means we get to see our old friends in different places!

FBI Agent Mike Casper got promoted to another government desk job in Agents of SHIELD.

In a fit of senility, a disoriented Marion Coteseworth-Haye wandered from her home in Marblehead and found herself in the Brookyln 99 precinct.

Hey, with this shutdown, it's nice work if you can get it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

I'm trying to imagine what this would have looked like and it's hurting my head

"Plus, I've got that boyish thing."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you serious? That line is terrible and a good example of how Sorkin can go way, WAY overboard with the corn. That line makes me cringe every time. Same with Josh's "game on!" Ugh.

I had to go back and check; a good chunk of your posts are complaints about specific lines you think are typically Sorkin cheesy. Several people here regularly comment on this.

Well I guess corniness irritates you all in a way that just tickles me right, but I think objectively Sorkin's corn has to be the best drat corn in the market.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Or his DVD player with that wimp rear end Bond movie.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

withak posted:

It is possible that the writers took some poetic license.

Yeah, and Indonesia does have a national language, Aaron. What, you think we have 583 different versions of each government form? You underestimate our laziness unity!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

That is incredible- but if any episode of any show deserves that kind of a salute, its Seventeen People.

Whoa whoa whoa, are we not counting Privateers, the episode that gave us Helena Hogworth Hooter Tooter of Braintree?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

Does anything after season 3 count? :colbert:

Do you know what a blood enemy is?

Because you just made one.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

There are no roles for Asians... wait that's Whedon not Sorkin. nvm

"We don't hate Asians. John Cho is more valuable to us where he is."

Later, we hate Asians.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Are we going to talk about the Bartlett daughters and not mention Liz, the tall drink of eminence grise?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
She has two beautiful kids and is a caring mother :colbert:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Khablam posted:

The line never stood out to me, because in the UK & Europe that's every election result ever.
I never know why US politicians don't discuss (most of) the rest of the world when someone says 49% isn't a mandate; the rest of the world gets poo poo done with 3+ primary parties and the winning party netting 38% or something.

American exceptionalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

And yet, the one episode where they decide to call him out, they use the loving dumbest resolution imaginable, where Ainsley basically proclaims her brand of feminism as the only brand.

Ainsley doesn't need no government to protect her rights!

Unless it's her right to own a gun.

• Locked thread