Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mahoning posted:

Is there a good app for creating a checklist or task list of things to do for each day? I don’t really like any calendar apps I’ve used.

Google Keep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coffee Sludge posted:

Is there any good personal budgeting apps for use on macs? Haven't needed one for some time but things change and now I'm looking for something that isn't a spreadsheet. Or if someone can point me to a personal finance thread if there is one that would be great too.

I've been using https://www.gnucash.org for years, but I mainly use it as a Quicken-style replacement.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kefkafloyd posted:

Any reason why the Synology Drive sync client won’t meet your needs? I use it for that purpose.

This is probably the easiest way. If not, Syncovery works really well too. (Bought it from Bundlehunt)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

MS Outlook suddenly became totally non-functional. About noon two days ago I received my last e-mail via MS Outlook 365 for Mac. Took about 24 hours for me to discover something was wrong. I just thought it was a slow day.

People were still sending e-mails, they just haven’t hit my inbox. I only discovered something was wrong when I saw a shitload of unsent mail in my Outbox, about 24 hours later. My e-mail host is clueless, Apple is clueless, and Microsoft is clueless. The tech support guy at my e-mail host said it’s a known problem, but he could provide no help. Apple and MS of course only offer the option of, “tell our community about your issue,” which is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Anybody out there have any insight? Anybody having the same problem?

I can access mail via web, but this is a business e-mail account, and that’s a poor workaround at best. It’s like working with boxing gloves on.

Latest-gen MBP. All OS and apps are current versions. Didn’t do anything out of the ordinary on the day the problem appeared. No software updates, nothing. Just came back from lunch and Outlook had died.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reboot and try again?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

That’s probably my next step, when I have the time. Do you think I’d need to uninstall the entire suite, or just Outlook?

Not 100% sure but if you get it all at once, it’ll be freshly patched and the like when you’re done.

I almost wonder if it’s just a bad or corrupted profile too. You might see if you can create a new profile that will work (this is me thinking back to the Office 2003/2007 days, may not be applicable today).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

I deleted the old profile, and created a new one. One of two email addresses I manage work - the one that doesn’t is the important one. I’m not sure if the unimportant one was working under the original profile - I almost never use it, so I didn’t check before deleting, d’oh. I guess a clean 365 reinstall is the next step?

Yes, but check a few small things. If the same password is working in the web version, you know you’re not locked out. Definitely recheck that to make sure. I assume you had to retype all of the login information when recreating the profile. Just trying to think of any other little gotchas before you do. Not over quota on your email account? Does the account work in the default Mail app?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SlowBloke posted:

I'm still paying office 365 not because i need it but because onedrive is a far better solution than icloud as photo or general purpose storage.

True. The family version gives you up to 6TB of storage for 99/year (and usually much less on sale). Can’t beat that anywhere.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If you have a Synology, backing up to OneDrive is a cinch. I just copy my pictures to the pictures folder and videos to the video folder and it uploads them automatically in the background, using the correct Microsoft account (I have one for my photos and another for my videos for 2TB). With Amazon Photos I had to do a dance and shuffle to get it all synced up since they removed API access a year or so ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

actionjackson posted:

is there anyway to hide an icon on the top right menu bar that doesn't have a built-in way to do so? it's something that has to be running, it just annoys me

Have you tried Hidden Bar? (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hidden-bar/id1452453066?mt=12)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Here's a link to an Apple page with the various OS downloads, completely legit from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

The Sierra link is here: http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-39476-20191023-48f365f4-0015-4c41-9f44-39d3d2aca067/InstallOS.dmg

I would also try older versions of the OS. Maybe try El Capitan or Yosemite? Based on https://lowendmac.com/2009/21-imac-late-2009/ it should be able to use Sierra but maybe back up a bit just to see. Can't hurt.

Also if the terminal way isn't working, download the OS package and try https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 23, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Tried that, but any DMG file that opens to a PKG file will give me this error (save the os version) when opening it on the 2021 Mac:

Caught me after my edit, can you try this app to make the bootable media?

https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/

Or can you use something like unpkg (https://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/) or something else to unpack the PKG file?

https://medium.com/macoclock/extracting-applications-and-other-files-from-pkg-files-on-macos-f885376f1ef3

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 23, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Awesome, glad it worked!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I recently set up a Pi-Hole on my network and have everything configured. It's correctly blocking a test website when I navigate to it from my android phone and Windows desktops, however when I'm using a browser on my M1 Air it's seemingly ignoring it. This is happening with both Safari and Firefox (with DNS over HTTP disabled).

If I run nslookup against the same test URL I get the IP address 0.0.0.0 back correctly. My Pi-Hole is the only DNS server configured at my router, and is the only DNS server listed when I look at my network settings.

Anyone...happen to have any ideas why various apps on my Macbook are just ignoring the Pi-Hole for DNS purposes?

Is your DNS on your MacBook set to use the Pihole?

Edit: Duh, I missed where you said that. I have 2 Automator scripts that flip from using the Pi-Hole to using 1.1.1.1 so I wanted to make sure yours was using it.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 19, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It isn't set on the MacBook but is set at the router level. When I view the network DNS settings it displays the correct IP address for the Pi-Hole. I am using 1.1.1.1 as the Pi-Hole's upstream DNS server though!

Try changing it so that the Pihole has no upstream servers except itself. Here are my settings. That second screenshot is my router using the Pi-Hole as the main DNS server.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone have a good recommendation for a digital asset manager or photo manager? Thinking of using NeoFinder, but wanted to see if there was anything better.

How I currently work with photos:

1. Import photos from phone to Photos.
2. Organize photos into folders in Photos.
3. Export photos to NAS for automatic backup to Onedrive.

I have three Photos libraries (2021/2022/2023), but I honestly would prefer to keep them in a folder structure instead of Photos since my photos go way back to 2000 and many phones/cameras ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

What kind of NAS do you have? Synology has stuff that does most of that out of the box.

That's what I have, but it's an older one (DS413j). I use Hyper Backup for the Onedrive backups now..

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TraderStav posted:

Hopefully this is an easy fix, but I just completed a Google Takeout for all of my photos and the result is 74 zip files of 5gb each. When unzipped I'm left with 74 folders with names such as:

Takeout
Takeout 2
Takeout 3

Inside each of those is a Google Photos Subdirectory and then Directories of albums/etc. Issue is that in each there are subfolders of the same name, such as "Photos from 2009" that exist in multiple of the zips.

Is there a good and reliable way to merge all of these folders, and subfolders, into one single Folder?

Use something like Folder Tidy to clean it up? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/folder-tidy/id486626129?mt=12

Works wonders for my downloads folders, and I don't even touch the rules.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

lord funk posted:

Does anyone have a Spotlight replacement recommendation? I just want to search for file names. That's loving it. Spotlight in Ventura cannot find files even when I type in the exact loving name.

Oh, and god forbid it's an image! I'll just show you big square image previews instead of the file name, so you'll just have to guess which one is the one you're looking for.

/rant

Sorry, but for real, is there a good alternative? I don't mind paying.

I grabbed Find Any File in one of the Bundlehunt bundles and it works pretty well.

https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Tembo is another one: https://www.houdah.com/tembo/

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 22, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

lord funk posted:

Hey thanks for all the recommendations for search stuff. I like Find Any File and it saved my rear end during class the other day.

Cool, it’s a nice little program and wasn’t expensive at all IIRC.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah he uses windows defender on his current laptop. The issue is the fact that it visibly updates daily, whereas apple only issues security updates when they’re needed. Plus I was able to point him to comparative tests which showed that windows defender was as good as third party alternatives, whereas that’s not really a thing for Macs, because third party security software has never been a big thing.

At the end of the day, I can’t just tell him something like that and have him accept it, he just says ‘well that’s your opinion, I don’t care about your opinion, I just want to be given raw facts and data so I can form my own conclusions from them’

I’ve basically just given up. I’ve told him what I think he should so, and explained MacOS security as I understand it and told him to do what he wants

Write some sort of cron script or Automator script that pops up daily and says “Updating virus definitions…….all scans complete”. Call the script Cron Antivirus.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eightysixed posted:

This is a good idea, but still -

edit: wait, with all of that being said, is there a way to shortcut opening Notes :tviv:
I'd do that in a heart beat. I have too much crap on my dock anyway as it is, but if I could hit CMD + N or something....

There's a lot of apps out there that let you define your own shortcuts if you want.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Interested in any Mac Black Friday app deals? This is a good list.

https://github.com/mRs-/Black-Friday-Deals

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Is there a quicker method of moving a given window to a given screen? I know you can do so via the Window dropdown at the top, but there doesn't appear to be a key command. Since you can't drag a window across a screen with a maximized app, this quickly become as pain in the rear end.

Try Rectangle: https://rectangleapp.com

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know there are quite a few apps in the Black Friday sales, but a quick shoutout to Pastepal:https://indiegoodies.com/pastepal. I've never used a clipboard manager, but I have to admit this thing is cool. $7.99 lifetime (for BF) and it syncs your clipboard, text, pictures, URLs, hex colors, etc. across your Mac/iPhone/iPad using iCloud with one purchase. I've just been using Google Keep for pasting links or text between my Mac and my phone, but this thing is pretty slick.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Interested in any Mac Black Friday app deals? This is a good list.

https://github.com/mRs-/Black-Friday-Deals

Found an even bigger list:

https://app.indieappsales.com/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Are there any that are curated? It’s nice to have a list of what is on sale but 95% of these I’ve never heard of and a concerning amount of them appear to be ChatGPT front ends.

Also is there any reason to mess with that video downloaded app that folks seem bullish on if you already use YouTube-dlp? I kind of assume it’s just a wrapper around that for folks scared of a CLI. Same story for the conversion app that seems to come up a lot and ffmpeg I figure.

I can't speak for Downie if that's what you're talking about, but I do use Pulltube that I got from Bundlehunt because it has a built in trimming editor that I find handy when downloading a snippet of video (used it today to make my avatar).

As for the list, I agree, some of them are vague and you have to click the links to find out what they do. Still though, sometimes you find some gems that you didn't even know existed (like Pastepal, I've used that thing at least ten times since I installed it two days ago). You can filter that list above to only show the categories you're interested in, so you can take out all the AI assistants.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Downie was it, yes. I want to say the other was Permute or something like that. Regardless, Crossover has a pretty deep sale today. If you’re already messing with Whiskey or one of the other “Run non Mac games on Mac” solutions available there isn’t a whole lot of reason to mess with it but I did grab it to help support the Wine project as that benefits Linux folks as well.

Thanks, I would've missed that, and $22.20 is easily a good price for it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Canned Sunshine posted:

What's the general thought on the Thunderbird email client?

My mom recently passed away, and she did all of the account management/banking/appointments/etc. for her and my dad. My dad is 81, computer illiterate, and has no interest in learning how to really use one, so I've taken over the responsibility of managing their accounts, banking, etc.

I'm already using the Mail app for my account, and was thinking of using Thunderbird (or another client) with theirs so I can more consistently monitor it instead of using OWA for their Hotmail Outlook account.

Can’t speak to Thunderbird, but would it be easier to add their account to your Mail app and flag or color it differently (or move all to a dedicated folder upon arrival) so you can tell at a glance what mail is theirs and what mail is yours?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bloody Mayhem posted:

For some reason the storage bar shows that I have almost 100 GB of “System Data” in my MacBook Air. I’m nearing capacity, which is really inconvenient considering I don’t really have all that much stuff.

Research I’ve done so far has led me to usual suspects like Clean My Mac and Onyx by Titanium. I’m just not sure if it’s the best way to solve the issue. I don’t want to delete anything important.

For context, the MacBook is new (bought last summer), but I transferred all of my stuff from my old one with Time Machine. So I most likely imported the junk as well.

Have you tried Disk Inventory X? It’s free and it will show you exactly what is taking up space where.

https://www.derlien.com

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I haven’t heard of this one, thanks!

Do you know how it compares to the other ones? All I want is not to gently caress up anything.

Arivia posted:

Disk Inventory X doesn’t delete anything unless you hit that “Move to Trash” button. It won’t gently caress up your system, it just shows you what’s using all that space.

Exactly. This just shows you what’s eating up your space. You still have to delete it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Data Graham posted:

As much as I roll my eyes at anyone touting AI-anything, I will 1000% believe *GPT or whatever could tell me "what's traffic like up ahead?" which to this day Siri can't make heads or tails of.

It is literally the only question I could ever imagine asking Siri and it has absolutely no idea how to handle it

Siri is a horrible personal assistant. I just use it to try to respond to texts sent to Carplay while I’m driving and half the time it’s a garbled mess.

I will say that I don’t know what technology Spotify is using for their DJ thing, but that impresses me by how much it actually sounds like a radio DJ. It plays music you have and that you like and announces all their names with about 98% accuracy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiwid posted:

How can I find out what application is causing this error everytime I restart?

Have you looked in your login items? You can try disabling them all and then enabling them one by one until you find the culprit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, is there any way to have MacOS treat photos like a normal goddamn program or is it their weird DB nonsense or nothing? I just load everything onto my NAS directly and avoid the problem entirely.

I’m going to experiment with using PhotoSync for transferring photos off of my phone and Neofinder for managing them when the new year rolls around. Supposedly Neofinder will make a database but leave all photos where they are and just generate thumbnails. PhotoSync will let you export HEIC/MOV and/or JPEG at the same time, it’s a nice app once you upgrade it to pro for six bucks.

I’m with you. I don’t like the photos app, and I just want to manage my pictures as is and not in a database.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zenostein posted:

Does image capture not work with phones anymore?

You can hook your phone directly to the Mac but if you do, Photos always wants to grab it. Personally, I want just the photos to be exported to a specific folder so I can upload them to the NAS and to OneDrive and bypass Photos altogether.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kefkafloyd posted:

You can change the default on connect behavior in Image Capture. My phone never opens Photos. Image capture is what you’re looking for. I wonder if a shortcut could be done to do it automatically for you.

Thank you, I’ll check this out too. Honestly though, PhotoSync works so well that I’m not worried too much. Frankly, I shouldn’t need an app for that, it should be basic transfer functionality, but Apple.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eightysixed posted:

I use 1Password so most of my passwords look like
code:
hunter2

Ha! I can hack you now!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just use Chrome. It’s the best turd in the toilet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

smr posted:

I start at this goddamned app all day and would like it to work as Apple itself advertises that it should.

Think different

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eightysixed posted:

This was my point.

If you don’t have that many tabs open for work, you’re slacking, or not trying hard enough to earn your salary.

How many YouTube videos can you watch at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ThermoPhysical posted:

How reputable are they? I'm not sure who OWC is.

Other World Computing: https://www.owc.com/

They've been in the Mac scene for a long time, they're reputable.