Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Speaking of sound I have the weird thing happening on my M1 macbook pro.

If I leave the computer without rebooting for a few days, at some point it'll start delaying effects of the volume buttons (like I'll push volume down and it'll take 1 second to register and lower the volume one time) AND making a staticy noise when I hit the caps lock button. I thought it was SoundSource interfering but quitting that didn't make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Today I once again was reminded about macOS's terrible multi monitor support. Let's review the list:

If set as “monitors have separate spaces”
  • When you drag a window from one monitor to another there’s some “dead spot” where if you drop the window there in between it straight up disappears and you need to get it back via mission control or whatever. ***this is what basically happened today

• Can’t have a window stretch across multiple monitors.

If not set as “monitors have separate spaces”

• If you fullscreen an app it blanks out the other screen

• Menu bar only shows up on one monitor

General

• MacBook Pro with M3 chip can only support one external display!

• Cannot remember window or app position. For example: open a file in Preview, drag it to the other screen, close the window, open another file, it opens back in the other place. Need to use software like Stay to fix.

• Can’t do two video outs on one usbc.

• thing about spaces.

• menu bar disappears when you have certain apps full screen on another monitor. This isn’t all apps and apparently has to do with how full screen is implemented in that app. It happens in Firefox and Serato DJ Pro among others.

• Can’t disable internal monitor (if you want to JUST use external monitor)

• On hn a lot of people are saying if you have more than one external monitor then there’s a bunch of problems, forgetting order, etc. I only use one external monitor so I don’t know about these problems. also on that thread someone said don’t give monitors separate spaces to fix some of my other problems.

• Universal Access keeps resetting.

• Dialog boxes pop up on the screen you have focus on regardless of where the window is.

• Turning off one monitor will make macos think the monitor is disconnected and reshuffle all the windows onto the other monitor

---

So what happened today? I upgraded to 14.3 and Spotlight stopped showing up. After thinking it's an indexing thing or something else, I on a whim unplugged my external monitor and there it is, showing up as expected! Plugged monitor back in and now it's still working fine. So it was just hidden in that mystery area. Stupid.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks I guess I’m holding it wrong but these are issues I’ve had across multiple personal Macs. :shrug:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think you’re absolutely right it’s me expecting more than what it’s designed to deliver, and I’m just disappointed with these choices Apple makes.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Fair enough

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

prom candy posted:

I'm trying to do some screen recording using a microphone hooked up to an audio interface. When I record with quicktime the audio only comes out of one channel. I know I can fix this in Garageband after the fact but these are just videos for my coworkers so ideally not having a whole post-processing step would be nice. Does anyone know if there's some simple screen recording software that handles this automatically or a way to get quicktime to treat the incoming signal as mono?

I have a Zoom license from work and that's what I use for this stuff.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I got a macropad so I can one-button emojis in various slacks and the forums.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Just use Chrome. It’s the best turd in the toilet.

gross

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sniped from firefox

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

buglord posted:

1)Is there a free/low cost application that allows me to snap windows to halves of the screen like on windows?

I use BetterSnapTool

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

WordPerfect on Parallels :getin:

Real answer as sad as it makes me is Word for Mac.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

eightysixed posted:

You had the gumption to recommend that, that was my first thought too, but I kept my mouth shut.

I think it all depends on what you’re trying to create. Pages totally works for so many things, and he said he wanted simple so InDesign is out.

But yeah, Word for Mac, or try to get acclimated to Pages.

Or if you just want something super simple, just use Notes?

Pages has too many things that are stupid and/or not standard that I just can't recommend it for anything. I used to recommend Pages before Word for Mac supported RTL but ever since that started working it's Word for Mac all the way.

Word for Mac definitely has some stupid poo poo about it, and Word in general (even the Windows version) has gotten worse in some areas esp track changes and comments IMO, but it's still one of those apps where it's standard enough that it's worth using because it'll be pretty much the same everywhere and libreoffice is compatible with it down to the keyboard shortcuts etc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dans Macabre posted:

sniped from firefox

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Y’all I just wanna tell you that I’ve been using Mac since about 2006 and yesterday for the first time ever I used pbpaste. Awesome.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

idgi. Cmd + C/V works just fine.

Yes which is why I haven't used it until yesterday, but what happened was I had a bunch of text in the clipboard that I needed to put into a text file, and instead of opening an editor and pasting it I just did `pbpaste > poop.txt` and it Just Worked.

I'm sure there' some actual big boy use case for this but I'm not programmer enough to know it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

Oh oh oh, I see. Can’t think of a good use case either but it’s a good trick to have.

People in this thread will probably chime in with some obvious ones but here's a post (sorry about medium) that someone wrote https://medium.com/decisionbrain/leveraging-the-macos-clipboard-on-the-command-line-with-pbcopy-and-pbpaste-f61e1df72f67:

quote:

Why use commands rather than ⌘C/⌘V?

The examples above can in most instances be performed using the keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste (or the menu entries for the mouse-inclined). However, there are two main reasons why I would want to use the pbcopy and pbpaste commands.

One reason is that it makes command lines self-contained. What I mean is that, by reading the command line, you can clearly see when the transfer between the clipboard and the command line happens. Granted, this argument is a matter of style, and may be discarded for one-shot commands. It becomes more relevant when you need to repeat the command several times in your workflow.

The other reason is that these commands preserve the exact content of the clipboard. This is especially important when such distinctions as between tabs and spaces matter—typically when copy-pasting in Excel. If you use your mouse and keyboard to select and copy the output of the du command above, you will get a variable number of space characters between the first and second columns. With pbcopy, you will get the exact output of du, that is, a tab character.

In the same vein, I noticed that when the content of the clipboard is too long, pasting it into the Terminal does not work well. This is typically a case where pbpaste is better suited.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi macOS appreciators,
I want to do a thing where whenever I save a file in a specific folder, all the spaces are removed from that folder and replaced with underscores.

I would run this command
code:
for f in *\ *; do mv "$f" "${f// /_}"; done
Is there a way to do this with Shortcuts or Automator or something The Apple Way (instead of using inotify)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tippis posted:

The most Apple-approved way is probably a folder action in Automator.

New > Folder action.
Pick the folder you want it to act on.
Add a “Rename Finder Items” action.
Set it to “Replace Text”, with a space in the Find field and an underscore in the Replace field.
Save and name it, and you're set.

Unless you specify otherwise (or move it), it will end up in ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions, and if you want it gone, you simply delete it from there.

Worked perfectly. Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Preview has hidden editing capabilities and I'm always surprised by them because (1) the app is called "Preview" and makes me think it's for previewing things and (2) they're not super intuitive like what button to push.

Same with the post-screenshot editor thing. Look at these icons... Which button do you think lets you draw a line? The squiggly line? The other squiggly line? The pencil drawing a straight line?

Only registered members can see post attachments!