Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hello all I'm trying to see if I can use the stock mail app for the first time in my life on my macbook. I was heartened to see that when setting it up with my gmail account it's got Gmail's default priority inbox there as a folder named 'important' - which is a good step, because Gmails priority inbox is really good at filtering out everything that's not quite spam but that you'll probably never open or read - but I'd ideally just like to get notifications from that. Is there any way to do that? In the settings, I can choose to only get notifications from 'Inbox' and 'VIPs', but I can't choose a specific folder (or mute other folders/inboxes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Genius - thank you.

Last question - it seems to want to download/sync every email in my gmail account, including the archive, which dates back to 2006. Can I stop it from doing this, or put a time/year limit on this?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I guess send them to a chromecast?

You could try Arc - it's based on Chromium so that might work? It's a big ol resource hog compared to Safari though, but I guess that's just all chrome-based stuff. It's also really really good

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I love arc, but I don’t know if it’s chromium or what, but it makes my MacBook run kinda hot in a way the new MacBooks aren’t supposed to. And I wish it worked with apples default password manager, or had the same continuity between my phone that safari does. There’s a new iPhone app but it doesn’t really cut it, So I’ve ended up going back to safari more often than not. But arc is very promising,

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of the email client, I’ve got it set up with gmail - I need to archive emails twice before they actually get moved to the archive. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Djimi posted:

I snoozed... but I would like to try it. Been on the wait list for the last month.

If you dip into the arc subreddit you'll find a bottomless well of arc links. That's how I got mine!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I do really like it, and honestly it wasn't nearly as much of a shift to work with as a lot of the tech blog think pieces will have you believe. If you want to boil it down, it's really just a different way to manage tabs, incentivising you in clever ways to keep your tabs tidy and only hold on to the ones you really need, combined with what I guess is a better way for the browser to be updating/refreshing certain tabs in the background (by treating some websites like your email or docs more like apps).

It took me no time at all to get used to. It's an easier way to pin tabs to your desktop, really.

I always find my way back on Safari though, just because (what I assume is) the chromium building blocks making my M2 MBA running hot and guzzling the battery more than it feels it should.

A lack of keychain support, iPhone integration not being as slick as safari is also holding it back. It's still really cool though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks for the replies! I think 16GB of RAM is probably a good idea with the tabs. But probably can do 256GB for storage. Do the amount of cores or whatever matter? What would those even be for on an Air?

Also how are Apple refurbs?

I've got a base spec Apple refurb M2, and it's great. It looked basically new out of the box - if you looked really, really closely at the USB ports there was some sign of use, and the tiniest micro scratch near the trackpad, but then as soon as you use it and get your oily little fingers all over it those things disappear. Screen was spotless, outside of the chassis was spotless. MagSafe connector had some signs of use. Honestly feels like a new laptop.

I'd also say that after using this thing for a couple of weeks I feel pretty comfortable in saying tech YouTube has overblown the stuff around the lack of fan and the slower SSD. In all the normal things you would use a MacBook Air for, it's blazing fast. If you keep their task manager equivalent open you will notice it swapping to the SSD a lot, but it does so imperceptibly. The way to solve this problem is to unpoison your brain and stop looking at the MacOS task manager.

It really feels like all the crowing about a slower SSD speed and 8 gigs of RAM when it first came out one of those cases where people who edit videos about laptops for a living are editing videos about a laptop on the laptop for which they are not a target market. If you earn a living making professional quality videos then you should probably buy a MacBook Pro as a business expense.

Also, for your use case 8 gigs of RAM is plenty. I'm on that, and I have multiple tabs, office apps open, music, and the OS is really good at managing memory and swapping stuff in the background. I've even done some basic 4k video editing on it and it hasn't broken a sweat. I sometimes edit radio interviews that are 1hr+ and I would feel completely comfortable doing so on this machine. It's really, really fast.

I mean, if money isn't an issue, or you have an app use case that you know wants more memory,16 gigs can't hurt. But you will be fine with 8 gigs (in a way that you wouldn't on an intel-based PC). This thing is really excellent at managing memory and swapping between apps instantaneously.

The only time it's really got hot for me (and got stressed about memory) was when I was using Arc Browser and it was clearly leaking memory or something and not able to swap. I'd maybe recommend using Safari over something chromium-based as it's really well optimised.

Otherwise, it's, like, noticeably cold to the touch. Creepily so, even!

edit: oh yeah, while I'm ranting about the boiled brains of tech YouTubers, I wanna go on record to say that the midnight colour is breathtakingly gorgeous, and you only notice fingerprints on the outside when you first take it out the box. As soon as you use it like a regular human who isn't obsessively cleaning it under studio lighting for product shots, you'll have handled it enough where smudges just kind of blend into the device and it'll still look just great. What a cool machine.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 12, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

what actually is Arc? What does it do? The website doesn't explain

It’s a web browser that treats websites more like apps, which in practice means that rather than an address bar at the top you have a sidebar where you can pin things like your gmail or YouTube to be web apps that are constantly running in the background.

It also stacks your tabs into two categories separated by a line. Tabs above the line are basically bookmarked, and tabs below the line get deleted after 24 hours. You also have separate workspaces that you can quickly flip between, and a fancy copy/paste zone where you can scoop our entire chunks of website (and have them still work as live web content like a little window into the original website.

It’s very easy to move tabs and between workspaces and the navigation and gesture controls are all intuitive and fluid. Looks nice too. It all ends up feeling like an operating system for websites. So I’d say for work you just use a ton of web apps like gdocs and social media managers and Wordpress or whatever it’s a nice way to navigate and manage all that.

I agree, they don’t explain it well, and the media blitz they did earlier this year made it all seem a lot more vague and confusing. It’s a web browser that treats tabs and bookmarks as interchangeable and manages them in a more intuitive way. That’s really it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey Arc fans just to say I switched back to it this week and it seems like whatever was making it super resource intensive before is now fixed. It's no longer making my MBA suspiciously warm, and it's stopped showing up as 'using significant energy' on the battery monitor. So I'm jumping back in!

Also, the upcoming macos update will apparently let other browsers use your keychain info. Does anyone know if this is already in the MacOS beta? If so, is it implemented in Arc?

Lack of Keychain support is still the one thing that's stopping this from effortlessly becoming my main browser. They always highlight it in their newsletter as a big bit of user feedback so they're clearly aware of it.

Oh and I also miss the pinch to show all tabs gesture from safari. But I guess this browser's whole deal is to dissuade you from having more tabs open than you need anyhow.

edit: wait never mind it's still guzzlin' battery way more than Safari. hmmm.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 25, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh, great. I hope it's not as terrible as the one they've had out for a while for Windows PCs. On the Windows extension, any time you want to enter a password, you need to click the keychain button, and then enter an authorization code given to you by a pop-up. It's real clunky. Hoping this one will be a little more slick.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

natlampe posted:

They write that they care about privacy, so what is their business model exactly? Will there be a premium version?

This... is a really good question. My baseless speculation would be that they're going for some big payout from Google for default search engine privileges once the user base is big enough (Firefox mostly survives because Google pays them half a billion dollars a year for this). Or maybe they're hoping to get bought by a bigger fish? Interviews make all their goals seem kind of lofty, and using the browser feels kind of like what chromebooks should have felt like. So maybe there comes a point where it's a lightweight web based OS for whatever the chromebooks of tomorrow look like?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVda3zFLlhc oh they've got a video answering that here. Ideas mentioned are paid Arc for Teams and a user generated market for boosts (their actually kind of cool feature that lets you tweak whatever you want in live websites). There's also this interview https://www.protocol.com/browser-company where they say 'it's too early, we're a startup', but also mention search licensing (the google thing I mentioned above)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 25, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Back on Safari after a week or two with Arc. Lack of proper Keychain and saved debit card support was the last straw, along with it still guzzling a bit too much battery for my tastes.

What adblockers would people recommend for Safari? It's one of those things that's impossible to google because you get a load of machine-written listicles (which are also ironically slathered in ads).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Wipr is the best in my opinion, provided you’re happy to pay a nominal amount for one.

I'll give it a go, thanks!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Giving Wipr a go now. No complaints so far.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
What extensions are you using? Is there a chance the MTG game runs a chromium browser at some point that gets into some weird conflict with your installed extensions?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
How's that beta looking? Am I probably safe to install it on apple silicon seeing as we're a few weeks out from the RC?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Wipr Extra is a better choice for zapping youtube ads, imo. Vinegar forces you into a less featureful player, Wipr Extra is just normal youtube sans ads.

I've been using this and have I missed a setting? It still plays all YouTube ads, it just disables their video. But I still have to sit through the audio for the ads whenever I load up a video.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Two quick MacOS questions that have been bugging me for a bit now:

Is there a quick way to change or code audio output device switching? My AirPods will connect and switch to my iPad/Phone if I check them while using my laptop (as they should) but I can't find a means to quickly return "focus" to the laptop beyond using the GUI. Alfred has a workflow that does this fairly well, but it's more geared towards actually connecting the Pods via bluetooth so you usually have to run it twice if the pods are connected but not the selected option.

Also, I'll occasionally get app updates that need installing that don't show up in the updates tab of the app store? What's up with that? Does it only poll for changes every so often and I'm just getting wind of it too soon?

AirPods switching has always been bit iffy previously, but the new OS update (RC has just been released on the beta branch) makes it much more reliable. I haven't had to use the menu bar to connect to the earbuds since updating - now, if I have my AirPods in, it'll switch from my phone as soon as I try and play audio on my laptop and vice versa.. You may also need to update your other devices to iOS 17, but PCs have gone out today for them if you opt into the beta.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm on the update and I still have the shortcuts app.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

frogbs posted:

I just got some Airpods Pro 2 with USB-C, they work great when paired with my iPhone, but when paired with my Macbook they make Safari unbearably slow, especially any page with a video player like Youtube. Just interacting with the page is slow, scrolling, clicking, etc, and there's a delay from clicking play to when videos start to play. I did some searching and found others with the same problem who fixed it by turning off spatial audio. I tried that but it's still behaving the exact same way. Anyone else run into this?

Stupid question probably but is everything updated? AirPods firmware has a weird way of updating (there’s no way to force it, and the case has to be charging near your iPhone or something odd like that.

Edit: wait I guess the new AirPods should have new firmware right?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FMguru posted:

5pm PT is an odd time for a product announcement.

Maybe Tim will do it with a flashlight under his chin to make it all SpOOoOokY

If that Federighi guy is in any sort halloween costume whatsoever I am taking my laptop straight back to the apple store

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

After a brief fling with a MacBook Air around 2014 I’m back using an M2 16/512 Air and adore it. Currently my plan is also to get a baseline M2 Studio before long, which is likely to be delightfully more than I need for at least five years. But I’ll confess: I’ve been using Windows since 3.1 and have been handy with Linux for nearly a quarter of a century, but most of my in-depth experience with macOS has been in academic setting or is so old it doesn’t reflect anything contemporary.

So what are some apps and tools I should familiarize myself with, the things that really play to the platform’s strengths? I’ve been pretty happy cobbling together a workflow that’s mostly platform-agnostic on the Air, but the Studio’s beefy enough that I don’t wanna miss something cool if I haven’t heard about it.

Honestly the real strength of the OS is how well integrated all the bundled apps are. If there's a specific app you are using, it might be worth giving the Apple version a go and seeing if it better fits in with how you work. Obviously, this is the opposite of platform-agnostic. But if you have other apple gadgets, especially the phone, then using those native apps can be a real joy.

In that same sense, most of the cool things that really differentiate it are more to do with hardware. Things like airpods or apple TV all play really nice.

That said, Arc browser is currently mac only and is really, really good. It had a lot of problems with battery consumption but those seem mostly solved. It fundamentally changes the way you use the internet, for the better, imo.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I know you’ve all been wondering but I think I’ve finally figured out my beef with Apple.

The software peaked years ago. MacOS peaked years ago. Like maybe 10.6 even. There hasn’t been a huge cool new thing added in forever.
We have so much hardware power now, but the software side is just a complete snooze. The best example is porting the unusable nightmare of Settings from iOS to MacOS.

Maybe that’s the issue, the iOS team is running all the software development so it’s just generally poorly aimed dogshit.

Just wish the software and hardware cycles aligned. Id like to see what Snow Leopards dev team could do with this much juice.

I never had a mac before they changed the settings so I guess I don't really know what I'm missing on that front, but 'unusable nightmare' seems like a very goonesque exaggeration. It's.. fine?

But yeah to me after being a lifelong Windows user it does feel a bit more focused. I think it's aligned with iOS in that it's always basically been just a tasteful looking app launcher - just now all those apps have the same icons as the apps on your phone. I don't really know what constitutes poorly-aimed dogshit. I really like all its gesture-based stuff, how close hardware and software feel to one another, and how fast even the new base model air (which is what I have) is.

Also - and I know this isn't purely software but it is a combination of software and hardware - I use my laptop all day every day for work, and I only have to plug it into a wall every two days, which is just the greatest. I don't know whether more software bloat would diminish that?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I've been monkeying around in Windows 11 for the first time in ages thanks to a new gig, and I really miss MacOS's top menubar the most. Every app's UI is different, there's no consistency, no easy way to quickly review keyboard shortcuts.

Microsoft PowerToys gets me halfway to where I need to be on a Windows device, but it's just not the same. Funny how the Windows start menubar has slowly transformed into looking exactly like the MacOS dock over the last decade.

On the other side of things, the top menu bar was by far the thing that it took me longest to get used to after being lifetime windows user (and I guess ties in with the different thinking of what counts as an app being 'open', apps not being the same as the window displaying them, fullscreen stuff etc). I still suspect the macOS way is a little better for consistency, but I'm fully convinced that at least to an extent the 'better option' is just whatever you're used to and grew up with.

Which is all to say that when the ipad kids grow up they're going to see both windows and mac desktop philosophies as stupid trash.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Now that Arc isn't guzzling stupid amounts of battery, I'm using it a lot more, which also means I no longer have access to Macos/iOS excellent keychain functionality. What are my options for password management? Ideally something that works as closely as possible to keychain would be great. Especially if I can still use my fingerprint/faceID!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

American McGay posted:

What's the point of Arc? Other than that fact that some guy was spamming promo codes all over this thread for it.

yeah it's really just a browser that organises tabs and bookmarks in a different way. they stack vertically, with a little dividing line in the middle of them. Anything below the line gets deleted after 12 hours, anything above the line is pinned and stays put. You have different 'spaces' (like in the new safari), with their own stacks of tabs, and it's very snappy to switch between spaces. That's really the main gist of it. There's some 'power user stuff' too I guess.

A lot of people talk a lot about how it changes your relationship with the web - and I did feel like that at first - but honestly it's just a web browser and the only way you 'think differently' about the web is that your brain looks elsewhere for tabs. Websites are still websites.

There's also a space above the stack of pinned tabs where you can keep web apps, and some of them will show previews of stuff (e.g. mousing over the google calendar shows your upcoming events, gmail shows recent emails).

Thats basically it otherwise. There's a few weird toys that seem useful but feel a little gimmicky (an 'easel' where you can copy and paste bits of webpages that display those chunks of page live), and the whole thing has this like 2010 hipster energy in its onboarding and tone - it's a browser that desperately wants you to be its friend. It's tastefully designed though.

I find it pretty useful for my job, which is very research based, as I can comb through searches and pick up tabs along the way, see their titles more clearly, and keep things more organised. Outside of work, the fact that you miss out on so much of safari is really, really annoying - keychain/apple pay/video airplay/lower battery consumption/spotlight stuff (or whatever it's called that lets you click on phone numbers and facetime them). I tend to end up going back to safari when I'm not working.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh man, I wish I could just stick with Arc, I really do, but I feel like every other update results in weird behaviour/performance issues, which often feel like they're undoing all the things I like about the new MacBooks - the main one being that it just seems to heat up the CPU and the underside of the laptop just gets really warm for no reason. The life of having my computer slowly cook my groin is a life I've left behind in 2023, but it happened again just now, and closing Arc and opening Safari and with the exact same tabs open the computer is back to its eerily cold former self.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It’s definitely a step up from chrome!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

actionjackson posted:

is there a reason I can't use touch ID to login to my mac on initial startup? any other time is fine (i.e. screen locked)

In one of my early career lovely jobs, which involved going from event to event giving presentations, I had a blazing argument with one of the directors because she caught me closing the lid of the work MacBook and not fully shutting the computer down between uses. I remember explaining that MacBooks are like phones now and we really shouldn't be switching it off ever and she told me that everyone knows you need to always shut down your computer and chewed me out in front of the whole crowd. This would have been like 2014

But yes I do wonder how many people still fully turn off their macs day to day. the start up sound is nice I guess

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

She was more right than you were, there is rarely a reason you ‘shouldn’t’ be shutting it off

because it's way more convenient to just open and close the lid, with no real downsides?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
IS Quick Look some apple branded nonsense? I've typed it into my work's online chat twice today and I've had to wrestle with it to stop it autocorrecting into a proper noun and capitalising the Q and L (as in 'please take a quick look at this document before I send it on). Is there a menu where I can choose which of these to disable. Like, I really don't care if it capitalises the P in iPad but doing it with normal terms of conversation is fuckin stupid

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Can anyone vouch for any apps that would let me control master volume over when audio is being sent to my monitor via displayport and then out to my speakers? It's weird that I can control the volume for plenty of individual apps (like music, podcasts, etc), but not the master volume if audio is being sent this way.

Sucks not being able to use the volume keys, or control volume system-wide, and I'd rather not have to plug the speakers into the headphone jack on my macbook every time I dock the thing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Arc owns now, is just as good on battery as safari, sometimes better depending on the web app

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
They were patching/fixing Arc pretty rapidly, and still do so once a week - I haven't had any websites or web apps fail or crash or anything like that. They've just moved the renderer to Metal, which should supposedly make things feel smoother. Battery consumption is also a non-issue now. It's a good time to use it!

I use Google office suite for work, and I feel like it's better with battery consumption than safari with Google apps. I don't know if this is because of the Chromium base?

I sometimes switch back to safari when I need to use the Apple ecosystem stuff that they wall off - Airplay being the main one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Does anyone else get a bug in Apple Music where playing an album automatically turns on shuffle. It's really annoying, especially as there's a big 'shuffle' button next to the 'play album' button for when you want to do that. I'm tearing me hair out trying to fix this. It might be enough to drive me back to Spotify.

edit: ok not that anyone cares but it turns out because sound was routing through the homepods paired to a TV I had to log in to apple music on the TV, play an album, and then toggle off shuffle on there, for the setting to apply across all my other devices. Cool ecosystem, Apple!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 20, 2024