Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CaptainCrunch posted:

And that'll be 3 giant screens of linen if you full screen an app, right?

But if you use better touch tool, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

a bad poster yall posted:

Appreciate the replies (again).

IPS definitely looks the right thing to be going for, and I think 1920x is probably right for me too considering my budget.

I think I've found a few decent ones so thank you. Kinda annoying I'm going to have to dongle it but oh well.

There are some good Dell ones too FYI especially if you are looking at 24" IPS panels.

Dell Monitors. That have Display Port built in, you just need a cheap rear end cable from MonoPrice for a DP to miniDP cable.

Looking for the U2412M on that page.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

That looks great, thank you. Found it for £220 as well on Amazon UK.

E - Reading the reviews, it really sounds like a fantastic monitor.

The only "downside" compared to the other 24" ultrasharp is that you don't get an HDMI connector, a 2nd DVI or the component stuff. I'll be get getting one soon for the MBPr trifecta.

ptier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

On the new Air then I'd need a MiniDisplay to DVI cable? I've been reading and apparently the DVI is the best connection but your post suggests an HDMI would be better, is that right?

I'm also currently making a spreadsheet to compare the prices between MBA / MBPr / monitor solutions etc.

I take this way too seriously.

E - I'm basically at the point of MBA + 24" monitor or MBPr..

If you are getting either of those MacBooks, you can just buy a miniDP to DP cable from somewhere like MonoPrice. Cheap as hell and your done, the miniDisplayPort cable plugs into the ThunderBolt port and works as a DisplayPort monitor.

Thunderbolt is just MiniDisplayport + PCIe and is backwards comparable.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I finally saw a demo unit of the MBPr today and it definitely wasn't as fluid as I'm used to OS X being, but I'm curious to see how Mountain Lion performs.

What's humorous is that I was testing this right now and calling bullshit when I realized I'm running my dual 24" monitors. Yea I'm really just using this machine as a portable 3 monitor desktop. So far amazing. And I love the screen while I am portable, but it isn't the end all be all for me. Screens makes it a winner for me.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Powdered Toast Man posted:

For my money there are other benefits to the rMBP beyond just the screen. It's a powerful, capable, quad-core laptop that only weighs, what, 4.5 pounds? And has great battery life on top of that.

If performance is an issue at "full" resolution maybe you could step down, I dunno.

I will say this again.

Three... loving... Monitors.

This thing is awesome, and plays StarCraft II. I need no further computing. They might well shut down Jony Ive. We have what we need here.

EDIT: I might just be super excited because I updated from a 6 yr old 15" C2D MBP to an early 2011 13" MBP to this which is beyond my imaginings for a brand new system. And the monitors. Oh god the monitors.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

DaNzA posted:

There's also this which does around 200+MB/s read and write if you are using it with USB 3.0 and one of those cheap 512GB crucial SSD :v:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Note...SB+3.0+external

edit: I believe it's also the same controller they used in this test.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5997/ssd-and-usb-30-performance-of-the-retina-display-macbook-pro

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for an external drive to run dev images off of and totally forgot about Apricorn. I'd rather not buy a "Make Lucky" brand POS from newegg when I can get something I know will actually work and not suck.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 26, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

This is slightly upsetting.

You are the new FidgetyRat. Congrats.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

I have no idea who that is but I've not tried to pretend that I have a technical background. If that makes me look stupid in a thread of more knowledgeable people then gently caress it.

Sorry, no, that doesn't mean that at all. Just someone that really digs into the numbers for a purchase. Dude was rocking a Powerbook long long into the intel era and really dug into everything when getting a new system. I did not mean for that to come out an internet jerk, my apologies.

My point being, in this case any of the systems will probably work fine for your needs.

If you need a DVD slot, ethernet built in, and an OK but not great screen, get the MBP.

If you want something a pound lighter, nice screen which I cranked to the effective 1920x1200 and don't notice webpage crappiness, and like multi-monitors, go for the retina.

If you want to carry the hell out of your system and get some stuff done, go for the 13" MBA.

ptier fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

How for those of you who've had an rMBP for a few days, how are you feeling on GPU performance?

Starcraft 2 at 1920x1200 is pretty good. Not great but good. Like 35 to 40 fps. And cranked settings.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Midee posted:

Have you tried 1440x900? That's really the resolution I want to see benchmarks at.

I'll take a look this evening.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

If it's anything like Diablo III, it'll run at 60fps with the res at 1440x900. On mine, Diablo is 20-25 fps with all options but shadows/antialiasing at max on 2880x1800, 35-40 fps with all options but shadows at max at 1920x1200 and a steady 60 fps with all options at max at 1440x900.

As far warning, it does get hot when using the GPU a lot. It was actually hotter while running Diablo for 10 minutes than it was when I had 4 VMs running on it concurrently for half an hour.

Overall though, I'm really happy with the MBPR. The reduced weight isn't that obvious while holding it, but it certainly is when I'm carrying it in my bag.

At the end of the day, if you're expecting a MacBook Air that's as powerful as a MBP, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting a MBP that weighs a little less, can drive multiple screens, has an amazing screen of its own and you're also not deterred by having to use dongles for Ethernet and FireWire, then you're going to find it great.

That's pretty much this is what I found playing tonight.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

nite time dinosaur posted:

Newsflash: Not everyone thinks the retina display is worth it. I'd prefer to have user-serviceable RAM, battery, and a second disk over a resolution that is more about looking pretty than screen real-estate. Yes, I'm aware you get 1920 x 1200 functional resolution instead of 1680 x 1050 on the upgraded MBP, but I still don't think it's worth it.

So, you could save a few hundred bucks and have a more versatile machine, or spend more for a little more screen real-estate and early-adopter status for the first super-high resolution notebook display. I wouldn't mock someone for choosing MBPR, but I would assume they have vastly different priorities than I do.

EDIT: I almost forgot - you also lose gigabit ethernet, firewire 800, SDXC, and microphone. Yes, you can get thunderbolt/USB adapters for these things, but some people are turned off by the hassle of not having them built-in.

Newsflash: Thats not why I bought the system. 3 frickin' monitors is why. But I can understand the money vs. wants etc. I am glad that I dongled up but honestly, I don't miss it. I got sad about the firewire, but then remembered that I have USB 3 and I got rid of my firewire stuff. ( I don't do video stuff or audio stuff, YMMV).

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Reinanigans posted:

What's a cheap (but not terrible) USB to USB cable that I could use to transfer data between my old PC and my new Macbook? Amazon has a couple listed, but $20-25 seems kind of pricy for what it is.

It costs that because it has to have active electronics to talk to both computers and translate between the file systems.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Used Mac pricing is ridiculous. You can get a refurb C2D 4GB/128GB 11" Air on Apple's website for $789

Or you can buy a used one on eBay for $740

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180924704553#ht_927wt_953

I should have sold mine on eBay.

You should not. You would be losing money from all the nigeria scams for your laptop. You really can't sell anything like that on ebay anymore.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

There are 610 Macbook Airs in the US listed on eBay right now
try buying one and see how fast it requires escrow or a brother in Nigeria. At least that's how it used to be, the PayPal merging might have squashed that. But I doubt it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't eBay buy Paypal like 10 years ago?

2008 was when they required Paypal as a payment option on all listings though.

Whatever eBay is scamy.

ptier fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 20, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

I've had good luck selling phones, I've sold about 10 items in the last year and only been contacted by a Nigerian 1 once.

Then I stand corrected. I admit that I walked away during the real bad scam times and never looked back. If it's better then awesome. Make that money.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Is this "Mini Display port to Display port cable" the correct way to connect a 2012 Macbook Air to a Dell 2412m? The Monitor has HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort. Is there a particular reason to use one of the ports over the other?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

Yes. I have an rMBP and use that same cable to go to my U2412M.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

For me, it's only bad on Facebook (running ML). I have no real problems or issues, otherwise.

Same. Haven't really seen bad scrolling with ML. My ethernet DONGLE has gotten a little better too, but will still cause some funkiness when inserting and pulling it. Let's just say it is not hot swap-able.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

One of the biggest things about a rMBP over the cMBP and Air is that you get two Thunderbolt ports as well as the HDMI port. So you can push 3 monitors without having to resort to USB adapters or gimmicks like the Matrox DualHead2Go

I am running 3 1080p monitors + the internal on my 15in rMBP and it is a dream. I absolutely love this computer.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I used to think like this too where a laptop was awesome no matter what and at whatever weight I'll just carry it. I went from a 13" MBP to a 15" MBPr and while the same weight, it is much more balanced and "feels" lighter because of the larger surface area. It felt like the 13" MBP was a brick and the MBPr is feathery.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

Maybe they'll use the highs end integrated to further distinguish the 13" and keep dedicated for the 15".

But if they could put out the same product with a massive battery life increase would be pretty cool. But it would definitely make me think twice about going from my current MBPr to an new one. But 802.11ac sounds soooooooo good.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Right, USB 3 kills TB for almost all users and will never go mainstream, probably not even for monitors (for consumers at least).

Neither did FireWire 800. And DisplayPort is pretty much standard on any monitor you would plug into that thing. With ports to spare. You'll see some high end stuff like with the 800.

Thunderbolt is also coming standard on certain motherboards from PC manufacturers. It's a little different from the USB 2.0 v. FW800.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

So when the new pros are released, is there any reason NOT to buy a current pro? The price of the current pro will surely plumet to the sub 1000$ range, and for that I get some decent processors and the ability to throw a ton of different nvidia cards in it.

Ooorrr they become coveted by the lovers of the old Mac Pro and the used markets sky rocket in price.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I hope not. :smith:

Really I doubt it. They were hard as hell to unload for *reasonable dollars* even when they were new.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

drat, I was kind of hoping to sell my current Pro to finance an upgrade.

I could be wrong, I did it a long time ago. It's more finding people that want it. You can find tons of people that want a used MBP but less so for a very expensive machine. However there may be some places that really will need an older pro because of expensive PCI-e investments.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

I like the New Pro from a purely academic standpoint. I always liked the idea, for years, of having a massive rear end heatsink for everything instead of the 5+ you have in a workstation.

Having said that, the new Pro is more of a toy than a real tool. Might be OK for smaller businesses and freelancers but I can't see a big corporation deploy them seriously but then again, the old traditional Pro never really picked up traction with big corporations anyway so I guess thats a non issue.

Prepare for every college prof that had a Mac Pro now picking up one of those day one. Some will need it, others will try to get Eudora to work on it. Either way it's totally coming out of a research budget.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I know that nobody knows poo poo about what upgrades are coming until Apple officially announces it. I was more or less focused on broadwell but I guess it's in the same rumor state about 2015 that I've read in the past.

I can agree with this but for me this time around, the price seems a bit more reasonable for the high end specs that I'm seeing with the rMBP. My first was a Powerbook and I remember dropping $3k and then my 2009 MBP was pretty close to that amount. This time around, I don't feel like I HAVE to fully deck it out to get the kind of power and longevity that I'm used to with apple computers.

Depending on what you do you could probably get away with a stock rMBP. I got the low end stock 15" + 16 GB of ram for the VMs. It destroyed everything I used to do on my 13" MBP and older 15"

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Has anyone played with the Thunderbolt 3 dock from OWC?

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock?_ga=2.21152125.710543640.1531873062-1361584590.1520723549

I’m looking at getting a new 2018 15” MBP and would like to have a one stop shop dongle of my dreams.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Gay Retard posted:

If the latest refresh isn't for you, I don't really think anything Apple will release will satisfy you.

I’m gonna try and keep my stuff together and see what the new MacPro brings.

I think it’s time for me to go back to desktop land.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

I guess I'll stick with my non-throttling 2016's :smug:

So here’s my question. I see the i9 is like bullet time. How does the i7 perform in comparison to last years model and dealing with down clocking?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I was going to go whole hog on this new mbp but after the clocking stuff, and the change in how I would be working with my computer ( mostly 100% at desk ). I think I’m gonna grab a refurb iMac Pro and then just keep using my 2012 rMBP ( my current machine ) for mobile until it finally dies.

6 years and still truckin!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well my 2012 rMBP was long in the tooth and won’t get anymore OS upgrades. Got the 13” MBP with 1TB and 16GB. I already have the last gen Mini so I really just wanted something with really good battery life and I want to play with the new shiny. Went for the more battery life. Will be interesting to see if 16 GB works out.

Oh and Apple wants to give me $260 for the old one. Which is a lot more than I thought.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

Am I dumb for being the refresh 13 macbook pro Intel a few months ago instead of waiting for this

Nope. You needed a computer then. So it’s good. And intel will be supported for a good while. My 2012 retina MBP JUST stopped getting OS updates.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that sounds really fast - a few months and their earthshaking new line of chips is old gen?!

I mean iPhone A13 to A14 is a yearly cadence. So in theory it would be a drop in replacement for most systems as they go along. Just keep it within the power envelopes.

Edit: No longer waiting for intel to get a new proc out.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I feel like I have been pulled into the field. I’m excited to get a new laptop and I want to see what it will do. But I think that I’m gonna cancel the order and wait for the reviews.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh no, now you have angered the ghost of Stebe.

Steve could buy an entire factories output of new balance sneakers, I cannot.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Fair. But it’s a Mac, so if it looks good I’ll just buy it again and it’ll ship normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ptier posted:

I feel like I have been pulled into the field. I’m excited to get a new laptop and I want to see what it will do. But I think that I’m gonna cancel the order and wait for the reviews.

Oh and today I’m glad I canceled. Completely forgot to use my edu discount. So awaiting the reviews!