Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I want to buy Applecare for a new MBP after the fact, does it matter whether it's a retina or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

etalian posted:

No just think of it as a extended warranty but you have to buy it within a year of your purchase date.
Sorry, I was actually trying to figure out if I had to buy a different Applecare for Retina MBPs.

It doesn't look like it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Apple sells several levels of AppleCare, all listed right here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

If you click on "Buy Now" for the Retina or the non-retina MBP, you'll see the part number for AppleCare for either machine is exactly the same.
Thanks! Super useful.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

clockworx posted:

Slightly off-topic, but is the Refurb store completely empty for everyone else? It's been empty for days from what I've seen.
Supposedly the Refurb store has been acting wonky for a few days now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How can I verify if there's a problem with the harddisk in my 2011 iMac?

Attempts to copy a large file are failing, and I'm getting this in the log:

quote:

kernel: disk1s2: I/O error.

:(

EDIT: If I have to get this thing replaced, any idea what it'll run me?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 25, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

japtor posted:

Check with Disk Utility, hopefully it's just some repairable filesystem fuckup. Also check out SMART Utility, if the drive has been silently loving up it should show up there in the form of confusing names and numbers (I think "reallocated sector count" is the big one).
Disk Utility showed everything as fine, which was suspect to me. Smarty Utility showed a bunch of errors, so thanks for pointing me to that utility.

Bob Morales posted:

Buy whatever brand 7200RPM drive you like and replace it. You can pop the glass off with a credit card and you'll need a T10 torx driver to get the screen off ($5). Or get an SSD....

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/
I put in a new harddrive, but now apparently the iMac fans want to run at full speed. Googling it suggests this is a common problem -- anybody run into it before, and how did you fix it?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tenterhooks posted:

The most consistent rumours have pointed to September - October for a while now (possibly to coincide with the next iPhone event?). I hope there's truth to this because my 2008, heavily-used, full-to-bursting iMac is becoming increasingly temperamental and I've been waiting to upgrade for a long time.

Even if the next update is a Mac Pro-style half-arsed affair, I'll probably be forced to pick one up. Add to the matter that there will presumably be a gradual move to retina screens from here on out, as someone who buys a computer every 4-5 years it might be hard to feel satisfied with either the 'last' generation of non-retina machines or the 'first' generation of retinas and any teething problems that might arise.
Rumor mill is divided as to when the retina screen iMacs will arrive. Some sources are saying it won't be this update but the subsequent one.

On another note, iMac users -- what are the normal operating temperatures for your Apple-provided SSD or HD?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

We have two developers on old-poo poo iMacs who are due for a new machine at the end of the year. If they get Retina iMacs.... :argh:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

If there's no new iMac, Apple has actually truly abandoned desktops. It's been FOREVER.

I've been looking to upgrade my '08 C2D iMac, but the current iMacs are year and a half old hardware. Longest period ever between HW refreshes. I actually just really want a guts-updated version of the current model. No "retina" (isn't the iMac already at that resolution?), no "even slimmer" design, no soldered-in RAM, no teardrop shape...if there's some goony new thing, I'll just grab one of the current refurbs when they get even cheaper. Anything's an upgrade from my 4-year-old C2D!
Last I heard, rumors were the retina iMacs wouldn't be ready until 2013. I'd like to be surprised, though...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tenterhooks posted:

Seems confirmed that the 27" iMac's RAM is user-upgradeable. Which is something, at least.
Now let's all start speculating on when next year the retina iMacs will arrive. ;)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Mac Pro doesn't exist anymore.
I thought that was 2013.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I remember hearing this was an issue a while ago, but I noticed today I'm seeing ghosting on my first-gen retina MBP. What's the procedure here? Will the geniuses give me a new display?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
From MacRumors:

Apple Posts 27" Retina iMac-Sized OS X Mavericks Background

I can't wait for that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody using a Mac with a Fusion drive? Can I turn it off relatively easily these days?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I have an Apple iMac where the backlight under a portion of the screen flickers occasionally. It's under warranty - Is there any way to just send it in for service? The website wants me to make an appointment at an Apple Store which has no parking nearby, and this thing is large, heavy and difficult for me to move.

(I know this sounds pretty #firstworldproblem-y).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Have someone drive you to the store and drop you off at the door?
It's a good thought, but it wouldn't be that much closer.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for the 2 pages of bitching about iPhone headphone jacks on an unreleased product in this, the not-iphone thread.
Well it is sort of annoying if I can't use the same headset as-is on my iPhone and MBP.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So am I understanding correctly that even the ultra-high-end MBP15 only has USB-C? Meaning my existing power supplies won't work, and I have to get adapters for SD cards and HDMI, and get new connectors for my iPhone/iPad/Watch?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Has the MacBook Air line really been neglected? I mean, none of them have retina displays?

I was looking for a lightweight, low-end Mac laptop I can use in bed or on the couch for browsing the web, watching videos, and nonsense like that. Tablets just don't cut it. But I would appreciate a nice display.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mu Zeta posted:

Imagine the MBA with a keyboard made of rear end and missing the USB ports, Magsafe, the SD slot, and the 14 hour battery, and that's the 12" Macbook
Any of the previous gens models use the thin design, with Retina display, and have those ports? I'm open to buying refurbished for this machine.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Comparing the 2017 MacBook to the 2015 and 2016, it looks like the same design - are the 2016 and 2017 models just spec bumps (newer CPU, .etc)?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

This is enough to upgrade.
What's changed? I came across a 2016 MacBook, and it looks like the same keyboard used in the current MBPs (sans touch bar, of course).

I found some comparative pictures of the 2016 and 2017 MacBooks, but the keyboards pretty much look the same to me?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Appreciate all the feedback, everybody. Two other random things:
1) Do MacBooks/MBPs these days still have that problem where, after a while, there are "marks" on the screen where the edges of the keys presumably press up against them? Any way to prevent that?
2) What's the favorite USB-C dongle/dock to connect to, well, most everything?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody have any experience with the warranty on apple adapters? I bought an Apple USB-C multiport adapter from Amazon last August, and the cable is coming apart and intermittently failing. I don't have the box anymore, but of course I can get a copy of the receipt.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I find it funny we're discussing this in the hardware thread. Is it too late to start a WWDC thread?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So apparently, under heavy load, a 15in MBP will slowly drain the battery even if connected to power via a multiport adapter? Bleh.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuyop posted:

There are some adapters/dongles that pass through the full 100w that USB-C supports
Anyone have any recommendations?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuyop posted:

They’re not cheap. Most of the <$100 options top out at 30w the last time I looked. But, if you’re really serious check out the Caldigit TS3 line, the elgato thunderbolt 3, or pluggable thunderbolt 3 docks.

I was also upset at the price until I realized that a second charger alone was $100, and an appropriate tb3 cord is 20-30. Then I added up the price of my dongles that don’t really work that well, and I have two that were $70+ so you kind of get at least $200 of tech that works just as well or much better than the cheaper alternatives. I was spending about 30 minutes a week troubleshooting cheap dongles, then I bought that TS3 and I just plug it in and go. Plus, the convenience of just having a single plug for all your peripherals, which was a big deal for me.
Do these all have separate chargers, rather than charging on USB-C? (The chargers are not pictured, but it looks like there's some sort of proprietary charger port?)

Most of these don't seem terribly airplane friendly though, unfortunately.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations for good sleeves that don't cost a bazillion dollars?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kitten smoothie posted:

My work laptop is a 2017 MBP and my personal one is a 2015. I work from home and I want to use the same 4K monitor, etc with a minimum of screwing around. Right now my desk is a horrible mess of cables and adapters.

I saw a Satechi USB-C hub that hangs off the side of the new MBPs, looks pretty awesome. Thinking about grabbing one.

On an unrelated note, I notice the iMac and iMac Pro come in different colors - can you choose the shade with either of them like you can the MacBooks/MBPs?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 16, 2018

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kefkafloyd posted:

That hub does look pretty rad. Hopefully it's as reliable as it looks.
With something like that (hub that attaches to the laptop), I wonder if it's better to always take it off before putting the machine away, or if there are cases/bags that would accommodate it. Hmm.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The case on my 2017 15' MBP has been "popping" a lot the past month. Any of you guys run into this? I found a number of reports of it happening from 2016 15' MBP owners.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Housh posted:

So should I keep going one by one for repairs now? I got the crack sound, and bad keyboard. Could bitch about some weird GPU things too.
Crack sound?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody here travel with multiple Mac laptops? Any recommendations (bags, accessories, or just in general) if so?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Evis posted:

I have a few sleeves and keep them all in a backpack.
By sleeve, you mean the Apple sleeve or something akin, or like a sleeve inside the backpack? You mind if I ask which model(s) you have? Any particular backpack?

I think I may get issued a company 15' MBP soon, but it's locked down and I don't want to put a bunch of personal files on there anyway. Carrying around two 15' MBPs seems heavy (not to mention it'd leave much less space for other things in any backpack) so trying to decide if maybe I should trade in my personal 15' MBP for something smaller.

(This is pretty first world problem-y, I know.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Aside from the smaller screen size and not being able to BTO 32GB or 6-core processors, any downsides to using 13" MBP instead of a 15"?

Also, anybody here tried using both on a plane? Was the 13" much easier if so?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So Google says they don't support target display mode anymore, but is there an easy way to use a 5K iMac as an external display for a USB-C MacBook Pro?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hey. Ports!

I was starting to forget Apple forgot some of those existed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I will soon have a personal and work laptop (both Macs). Is there an easy way to use a Magic Mouse with whichever laptop I have open, or is there some third-party software/hardware I should consider?

(I do like the Magic Mouse, if there's a good third-party equivalent.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 24, 2018

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

eames posted:

16“ MBP leaked in the 10.15.1 beta, unsurprisingly its the same as the old 15“ but with thinner and now oddly asymmetrical bezels.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/18/16-inch-macbook-pro-macos-10-15-1/
Are we sure that's an actual 16 inch MacBook Pro and not simply MacBookPro16,1 aka model number 16? (I think the current ones are MacBookPro15,1 aka model number 15).

Gay Retard posted:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but GoldenChaos-BTT makes the TouchBar awesome and I couldn't imagine not having one at this point (admittedly, I also have an entire set of turbo keyboard shortcuts that also let me switch my volume/brightness/media right from the keyboard, too).

https://community.folivora.ai/t/goldenchaos-btt-the-complete-touch-bar-ui-replacement/1281
Will give this a try. (EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.)

Is there a way to turn it off for certain apps? I definitely need the function keys for, say, Xcode.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Gay Retard posted:

If you only use first party apps, what was it about a MacBook that made you choose it over an iPad? If I didn't need tons of development/design tools, I'd probably use an iPad Pro exclusively.
Me personally, I just want to make sure any 3rd party app I install comes from a very reputable developer. But part of that probably stems from working with people who were researching into some of the crazy nonsense buried in a lot of 3rd party Windows apps.