Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mu Zeta posted:

I use a Western Digital "My Passport" external drive between my computers. It just uses a USB cable and takes power from the computers. I've been using a 320gig one for several years as well as a 500 gig one last year and both work fine.

Format the drive to FAT32 and you'll be able to read/write on both OSX and Windows. You won't be able to transfer single files over 4gigs though.

On this point: I currently use a Seagate 1TB External HD. I wanted it to be compatible between my PC and my PS3 (and eventually my Mac) at full capacity so I formatted in FAT32. Little known fact is, you can format in FAT32 as one giant partition instead of x times 32GB. Here's how to do it on a PC but I don't know how easy it is to do on a Mac; should be possible though.

This may be an obvious tip to others here but I was intrigued when I learned it after running up against an uncooperative OS and pricey apps claiming to be the only way to do it. They warn it may result in slower performance but at least for streaming videos and music I've never had a noticeable lag so far at 66% capacity. From what I can tell the file size limit of 4GB still has no workaround though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
July 20th, I told myself that the 13" Air looked good, but that I should wait for the reviews (i.e. Anand's) before pulling the trigger, and hey, couldn't hurt to have another paycheque too.

On the 22nd, my fiancée wanted to go shopping in downtown Toronto. So with a dearth of other things to do at the Eaton Centre, I dropped by the Apple Store to get a hands-on preview.

Before leaving the store I was spellbound and my fiancée, seeing a good opportunity to make good on a late birthday present, bought me a Level 8 13" Air sleeve. All my previous caution slowly went out the window and I ordered a base 13" from my iPad that night (along with the $100 gift card under the education discount).

Last Thursday it was delivered and unboxed; arrived in perfect condition. It's been good times since with zero regrets. First Mac and best first impression of any computer purchase I've ever made. Many thanks to this thread for helping me wait for the right model and making the right decision.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

movax posted:

Seriously though, enjoy! What SSD did you get with yours, out of curiosity? (Look at the drive model from System Profile, would be SM256 for a Samsung, IIRC).

It's been several days since I checked and I'm at work but I believe it's a Toshiba SSD. LG display as well. To be fair I was so dazzled I forgot to check for those two things at first. Was a little disappointed given the buzz at the time (was hoping Samsung/Samsung) but it's pretty easily forgotten. As someone said several pages ago it's still an awesome new Air and it's tough to diminish that.

Way I see it, it still performs well (cold boot in 15 seconds flat, wake from sleep inside 2) and is exactly what i was looking for, I'm a relatively casual user that would normally not notice a bottleneck, and this definitely won't be the last computer I buy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Boris the Blade posted:

I'm torn between picking up the 13" MBA or waiting to see what Apple does with the MBP.

I'm replacing my primary and only computer, a dying 5 year old ThinkPad T60. The GPU fan is shot and I figured rather than trying to get it replaced, I would just put that money towards a new computer. My girlfriend has been nice enough to let me use her computer in the meantime.

My only concern with the MBA is the lack of upgradeability, but by that same token I've only upgraded my ThinkPad once and that was to bring it to 4GB of RAM.

I've read the reviews around the web and posts on here and they all seem to be glowing.

Help me make a decision SA!

Didn't see this when I did my other reply. Speaking as someone who just bought a 13" Air and loves it, if you can wait, wait; if you can't, go for it.

If you want to have a gaming Mac laptop though I'd probably wait for the new MBP provided you're good for at least another 6 months of cooling your heels. I'm only a casual Mac gamer due to having a PS3 for home and both iPad and 2010 iPod Touch for on the go, so graphics/games performance was a total non-factor for me. I too never once upgraded any laptop I've owned, so yeah, non-issue.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm having some serious first world problems here. For whatever reason, I'm thinking of taking back this new iMac and going back to my gaming PC I built and getting a 13" Air. If I did that I would have pc upgrade money, and I could sell my iPad since the Air would cover everything I need in it. Has anyone else done the "windows box / air" combo and enjoyed it? I can't help but think jumping back and forth from OSs will be jarring and i'll miss the iMac.

I'm now using a Windows 7 desktop as my iTunes base station for my (first-gen) iPad and iPod Touch (soon to be new iPhone). I've had it for a couple years without using it much; it was a hand-me-down from my father and a "work PC". Now, however, it's a (relatively) high-storage media server that allows me to stream to my PS3 and Air as need be, while alleviating the burden on the 128GB SSD of the latter. It also allowed me to save money by getting the base 13" Air instead of needing a higher capacity SSD. Loving this setup; living in the future owns.

Sadly, as this Air is also destined for a fair amount of work use, I'll eventually have to shell out some painful amount of money for a Windows 7 Pro license to Bootcamp with at some point. For now, the desktop is really bridging the gap for the few things I still need Windows for. Incidentally, seconding that the Air is pretty great for remoting into my work desktop.

That all being said, the iPad is almost exclusively used by my fiancée as a replacement for her aging Asus 14" laptop. If I didn't have her as an (appreciative, casual) user for the iPad I probably would have sold it when I got the Air, as I find the iPod Touch does everything as well and is more portable. I still like having big juicy iOS games (just picked up GTA Chinatown Wars, finally) for trips but really I'd be more than fine without it now.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 2, 2011

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Why are you guys not making your employer pay for your computers/software that you use for work?

Long story short I bought my Air through my employer and they were able to write off the sales tax and reimburse me. Apple's Online Store with education discount and $100 back-to-school gift card was the best way to go for that reason. I legitimately qualified for that discount only because my employer also paid for my French night class at the local university this past year!

Given that I will have to use the gift card for software I'd need to get with any new laptop purchase (e.g. iWork) I wound up getting my base 13" Air for effectively $1150 (CAD) which is totally loving sweet.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Recommendation for 11" Air sleeves?

I like my Level 8 sleeve for my 13" and I know they make it for 11" but that was just the best choice at the Apple Store I was at...
Probably a better deal to be found online but I dig what I have.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:hfive: Samsung/Samsung buddy!

:argh: Toshiba/LG inferiority! :smith:

On an :unsmith: note, I finally got around to putting Flash on my 13" MBA last night. I was hesitant at first- I was concerned about battery life and runaway processes, but eventually decided I already have an iPad for Flash-free browsing so my laptop should sack up for everything else.

Watched some 1080P videos on Youtube at about 75% brightness. Anyone who's sperg-worried about not hitting Samsung/Samsung supremacy, let me tell you that even the (arguably) worst 13" MBA multimedia experience is still totally awesome all things considered.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

That's strange, with the Airs you usually get a small USB flash drive that has Lion on it. It's usually packed inside a small paper card; try looking in the little black paper pouch again? And if you didn't get one try calling the Fruit Stand you bought it from and see if they have any spares in stock?

New Airs just have the Lion Recovery Partition for online download and reinstall, only the 2010 Airs had the USB flash drive. That being said, as a new Air owner myself, yesterday I did the trick where you boot into the Recovery Partition, point it at a USB drive and have it download the OSX system files. A couple hours later when the system auto-reboots, hold option to go into the boot menu and instead of letting the system files get unpacked (and destroyed), just boot back into your main OSX partition.

Lo and behold, when you open up the USB drive, you'll find a 3+ gig dmg (InstallESD.dmg, IIRC) to copy and backup. Free Air USB boot drive!

One thing I experienced though is that immediately after doing this my reboot time increased to 44 seconds (from the normal 15) when the USB drive was removed and it would try to reinstall if it wasn't. I figured it was hell-bent on completing the reinstall process so after backing up the dmg to other storage I let the reinstall finish, then Bootcamped into Windows 7 just to be thorough. Now the boot time is back to normal.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fatal posted:

It's also because a lot of business users require VGA to connect to their projectors for presentations and whatnot. It's still extremely rare to find a DVI let alone HDMI or DP cable in the average conference room.

I hate to just agree with stuff from Daring Fireball but as true as this reasoning might be, it's total BS when you can have dongles for the rare cases where you absolutely must have VGA (or S-video, or whatever), and where these ports impose constraints on the structure of the laptop.

Ultimately:

Bob Morales posted:

It's cheaper, that's why.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Karthe posted:

I really like the physical appearance of the Air but I'm not looking to make the jump to OS X; would the Air make a decent Windows 7/Window 8 machine? I read some reviews on the 2011 Air running Windows 7 and it didn't sound horrible, but I thought there might be some goons who could provide better insight into such a setup.

From a couple pages back but guess it got lost in the crowd.

I have the 2011 13" Air (stock) and run Bootcamp with Windows 7. Basically it does work well but the biggest kick in the head is that the trackpad sucks so, so bad under Windows 7. Not that it's really any worse than a garden-variety Windows 7 laptop trackpad, mind you.

All told, the physics and components (overall shape/weight, RAM, SSD, display, sleep, battery) work as expected with Windows 7. It's my first Mac/OSX computer of any sort, and I found the zippiness of Lion to be worth the idiosyncrasies of learning a new OS.

But buying it for looks/form factor alone seems to me to be like buying a nice-looking car with a lovely interior (or even just one that you don't love). You spend more time on the inside looking out than the outside looking in, so if you don't like OSX then maybe shop around the Windows-based solutions some more or else resign yourself to a suboptimally priced (but pretty) purchase.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sulk posted:

The Ivy Bridge processors aren't supposed to be that much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge series, right? I'm still debating selling my current 13" Air and upgrading to the new model, mostly for the BTO 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

I have the same MBA and I'm not sweating it.

There's no price drop and I don't really have a use for 8GB ram (as opposed to 4GB) with my usage, though the upgrade fee is pretty cheap with education pricing.

USB 3.0 isn't enough of a draw in and of itself on a laptop and the integrated graphics boost is still just better integrated graphics at the end of the day. If you're trying to shoehorn a 13" MBA into being a serious gaming rig you're making the wrong move, but for casual gaming the 3000 should already be doing the trick.

At worst, wait for refurbed 8GB ram models to start showing up first.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

In the middle of all of this new stuff...how is this time for buying a new iMac? Does this mean that iMacs won't be refreshed until this time next year? I'm not worried about holding out for a retina display on one or anything, and my early-2008 model is getting pretty long in the tooth considering I use it around the clock for audio recording and video editing as well. I'm looking at the current refurbs, which don't seem to offer great savings over just going new, but would this be a bad time to invest in a new machine?

I'm waiting on an iMac refresh too. I would say if you can wait until the end of summer then do so. It is possible (not necessarily likely) that a extra-keynote refresh announcement of the iMac happens when Mountain Lion drops. If there's no keynote/event it's really unlikely that it's Retina but otherwise USB 3 and/or "Turbo Boost"-ed processors would be in the cards I think.

There is still the fact that unreleased iMac models were showing up in benchmarks a few weeks ago, so there's hope.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lyer posted:

For those of you who run bootcamp, how much space do both OS'es take up after everything is said and done? For sure I'd have MS office installed as well, I'm trying to figure out if the 256 SSD is enough for me.

I think the way I have it split is 40GB Windows 7 /82GB OSX Lion on my stock 2011 13" MBA, and I find that works pretty well as I only use Windows for work (occasionally) and certain Windows-only Steam games. Then again, I also have one of those super-tiny 32GB USB flash drives (where the USB connector is twice as long as the part that sticks out from the Air), and a 1TB external drive for media backup, so there's that to consider as well.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Argali posted:

So does anyone have any inkling as to when we can expect the next wave of iMacs?

Current best bet is whenever Mountain Lion drops in July but it's still a longshot.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Any Ontario goons have any experience dealing with Jump+? Rumor has it one is opening nearby and I'm in a region with no actual Apple retail stores (Future Shop being the closest reseller-only) and trying to decide if it's something to be happy about or if it's not a gamechanger at all.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have some wireless router/modem that my cable company gave me. Everything works fine, but it can't reach into the rooms at the other end of my place.

I have an Airport Express (old one) kicking around, so I thought I'd turn that into an extender of sorts.

From what I'm gathering, and from the setup page, I'd need the Express to be plugged into ethernet for this to work, which I can't do. I just want to wirelessly put it a room or two "deep" so it'll help bridge that connection.

What am I doing wrong, or can it only be done with wires?

I have the same god drat problem. From my research it looks like you could do what you're thinking of if you had two Airport Expresses (or Extremes), with one essentially hard-wired to your cableco shitbox router/modem. The Airports can extend/repeat the range of other Airports wirelessly, but not non-Airport networks.

Yeah, it sucks, totally share your pain on this one.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

So what are the implications of Apple not releasing a refreshed iMac today to coincide with ML? Everyone was waiting for that, as they've now gone longer than ever between hardware refreshes. Do such refreshes always coincide with some other release or milestone, or is it likely that they'll just "randomly" refresh the line at some point soon?

Well, for me, the implication is now I don't have the pressure to buy my first iMac while the summer education promotion is on, but can now just wait until there's 2012 (2013?) iMac refurbs.

The current rumor grist is that iMacs will probably be updated this fall (September-October) in a superblast that will also include new iPod Touches, iPod Nanos, 13" Retina MacBook Pros, mini iPads, and the new iPhone. Which, well, is ambitious and a little quixotic-sounding but it's just rumors.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

They've gotten some flak over the barely-an-update to the Mac Pros the other month, maybe they're waiting till there's actually more stuff to upgrade at a price point where they make $$$ but we pay the same as last year's model, who knows.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Tenterhooks posted:

Yeah, I get the impression retina iMacs won't appear with this update but worry that'll leave whatever they put out feeling outdated much more quickly than normal when they finally do arrive. The built-in screen has always been one of the main criticisms of the iMac (though I personally need a big display and like having one simple thing to deal with) and this might add another reason to be wary of them for the time being.

This isn't supported by anything but my own assumptions but the first release of retina iMacs will probably have a parallel release of updated non-retina iMacs at the conventional price point, just like the MBP this time around. Eventually as the manufacturing and supply processes mature it'll be totally phased in (like the MB through to MBA) in a few iterations.

So, like, don't worry about it? It's a long con, so it's the same old buying game of just get the thing you want to get when you want to get it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

Update to SCRATCH-GATE to the four of you who are interested.

The Apple rep told me that it is indeed possible that the products can ship with scratches, and they agreed to replace my Air with a new one. So yay Apple.

Guess someone else will be getting a sick new refurb, the system works.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

saint gerald posted:

Thinking of picking up a new 13" Air as babby's first Mac. For various reasons that are too tedious to go into, going from 4GB to 8GB is about a $210 jump in price.

Is it worth it? I would mainly be using it as a general-purpose laptop, web browsing, Google Docs, etc. and maybe the odd game of Civ V or something similar. Boot/wake time is a big deal for me. FWIW, I do fine with 4GB in my desktop W7 machine.

As someone who made the jump to first Mac with the MBA a year ago, I'd say stick with the lower RAM, as it'll be fine for everything you listed except probably Civ V and that's probably more a function of the processor/integrated graphics. $210 is basically 1/5 the way to a new one the next time around when you're better able to tell what your needs are, or if you even like Macs all that much.

Looking forward to my 2015 13" MBA with wicked sick graphics so's I can play all these Steam games someone used my credit card to buy for me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lexicon posted:

So true. It's such a portable machine. It's practically the size of an iPad.

Solution: get a 13" MBA and a new iPad. I don't travel mass transit that much so it's a pretty sweet setup in my experience.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

Holidays you say?

I am about to get some tuition reimbursement and will need a new laptop by March/ April of next year.

Was thinking of getting an rMBP middle/end of November next month. So when you say holidays do you mean around Thanksgiving or Christmas time frame? Either way it sounds best to wait until New Year time frame if a smallish bump in specs is due.
Sounds like you're in a good position to wait for the Apple Store refurbs on that holiday spec bump to come in.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

The Intel HD 4000 is about as powerful as the old nVidia 320M, and it's about 60-70% the performance of the AMD Radeon 6630M. There probably isn't much discernible difference on a window-by-window comparison, but keep in mind the 6630M has its own dedicated 256 MB of VRAM. The HD 4000 can take up to 512 MB of system RAM if you have 8 GB installed.

Also remember that as of 10.5 and later, the OS offloads most graphics work directly to the GPU. It won't make a difference if all you ever have is one window open for the web and another for email, but if you normally keep a shitload of windows open in your workflow, that difference between discrete and integrated will eventually be felt.

Tim made a point of saying that the Mini is still the most energy-efficient Mac in existence, drawing only 11 watts in standby. Part of that efficiency is due to the HD 4000, as it favors power economy over performance.

It's really a shame they're dumping the discrete option on the Mini, but Apple never really meant for the Mini to ever be anything except a low-cost, high-efficiency gateway machine.
Thanks for your figures on the HD 4000.

I had originally really been looking forward to an iMac refresh and I did get one, albeit far past the deadline for education discounts, although Black Friday could be another rare savings avenue.

It was everything I was originally hoping for but since the beginning of the summer I've reconsidered what my use scenario is going to be like. I think our household is now moving towards the laptop (stock 13" 2011 MBA) being the new desktop with the iPad (3rd gen) taking the role of the laptop used to be for. One of the reasons I'd been hankering for a new iMac is because I have a bunch of Steam games for Windows that I'd want to play in Bootcamp but need something more robust than an MBA for them. While the iMac (even just the entry-level 21.5") looks like it will fit the original bill, I don't want to move back into the office for gaming when the living room has gotten so comfortable.

I would've loved to see the 13" RMBP come with a dedicated graphics card, as although it comes at a premium it would be the only Apple 13" laptop that had one. I guess my current solution is to stop getting roped into Steam sales and maybe in a few iterations (HD 6000?) I'll be able to hack away at my backlog. I am otherwise a very casual laptop user so I can't justify going to the size and expense of the 15" lines when I love the size, lightness and price of the 13" Air.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Haggins posted:

Did you just graduate or something? You should be able to get an educational discount all year round. You obviously won't get the itunes credit, but you will get at least $100 off.

As for me, after having a MBP for a few years, I'm now anti laptop. My iphone and ipad really eliminate the need for one. There really isn't any content consumption I can't do on my iphone/ipad. Now a days, I only need a computer to do serious creative or technical work. When I do serious work, I'd much rather do it at a desk than on the couch and especially a big monitor. I suppose a laptop would be good for me if I were the type travels a lot and has to do work in hotel rooms. That's not me and besides, I have a company laptop for that kind of crap.

As for games, for one, most games are a bear to play sitting on a couch with a laptop. Secondly the current crop of laptops may be able to handle current games now, but that won't last. Finally, I don't know if it's common now a days, but my old MBP would overheat all the time trying to play a game.

I'm planning on getting a 27inch iMac when they come out.

Err, sorry, I should have said the back-to-school promotional whatever (giftcard these days). My wife takes french classes at the university part-time so it continues to (technically) qualify us. It's not much, but $100 is not nothing, either.

If I were on my own, I'd be much more hard-line towards either only iPad or only laptop because the two might be a bit extravagant; it sure felt like an overlap when I first had both. I have found that when I travel on business, I use both, though. The new iPad is great for meetings/conferences, where the Air is better for the prep work and after-the-fact reporting I have to do and as well as general mobile-office stuff. I must say even a year and change later it's still the best laptop (and best computer) I've ever bought, still really happy with it.

Either way, my wife likes using the iPad instead of her 4-year-old straight-from-Taiwan Asus 12" laptop, saving us from having to replace that crap heap, so when I'm not away on business she uses it the most.

Because I work in a small business my personal laptop is also my business laptop, but if I could have a company MBA, yeah, that would be sweet. A 13" RMBA would probably be the most I could justify for the work use, with a dedicated graphics card being only a slight nudge up to instead of over the line.

I played through Portal 2 on this MBA, though, with a USB mouse, and quite enjoy my current go at Spiderweb Software's suit of RPGs, so casual laptop gaming is something I do find bearable. Really, my real problem here is Steam sales, and you're right in that it's unrealistic to expect integrated ultrabook graphics to keep pace with modern games, so I should probably quit while I'm ahead. If only PSN had the same price points as Steam.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Haggins posted:

If that were the case for me and I could use a mac at work, I wouldn't hesitate to get some type of pro. However, I couldn't use my own laptop at work if I wanted to so it doesn't matter to me.

Maybe next time around I will go pro ice but the size and weight matter a lot to me. Where the price point on the entry level 13" MBP and 13" MBA is now the same, and having used my sister's 13" MBP I don't know if I'd ever take it over mine. Again, a slightly beefier (specwise) 13" RMBP would've been perfect.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

barfoid posted:

I'm looking to buy what will be my first Mac computer. I own a first gen ipad, iphone 4, and a $400 Toshiba Failtop that I have not replaced because I just use my ipad for everything at home unless I really need a laptop for some reason. I do all my work on the work computer.

I want to get a macbook air. I will use it primarily for ~web browsing~, very light gaming, music. basically nothing taxing at all.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this refurb for $1269? It's my understanding that refurbs are basically brand new?

2012 Model
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB memory
256GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel HD Graphics 4000

You're going to love it. I was in the same position about a year and a half ago with my 13" 2011 Air being my first Mac. It's a great way to get into it. On the RAM tip, there's always next upgrade cycle and between now and then you can feel out your needs. If I didn't play any games at all I'd never question my decision to get the stock model with 4GB. In any case it's an Apple direct refurb so jump on it!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

barfoid posted:

On the RAM issue, the only refurb in stock with 8 gigs of ram is the completely maxed out model. A little more than I'd like to spend.

About the next refresh cycle. I'm going to be kicking myself if retina comes out on the air soon after buying. What is the normal way to sell your Mac when it's time to upgrade?
Upgrade advice when you're in the market for a refurb is totally different than when you're buying new. If buying new the $100 + tax is definitely worth it to double RAM, but when you go online direct Apple refurb it's obviously a different scenario.

As for a refresh, I think we're a little ways away from seeing the Air with Retina especially since a RMBP 13" just came out, and it's basically 90% of the way towards being an Air anyway. The only real sea change will be price, and that falls very slowly. I think you bought at a good time (first good 2012 refurb availability).

As for selling, I would try your local online classifieds (e.g. Craigslist, Kijiji) but some people aren't comfortable with selling a $1000+ machine direct second hand. Also depends on your local market and timing (selling right before or after a new refresh, whether you're in a college town or not).

Apple used to do MacBook buybacks but don't know if they do anymore. Premium Resellers still do for sure, and there's always the online traders. You lose a bit of profit but it's less hassle, quicker and may be safer. Personally I will probably pass mine down to my wife, sister or my parents when I upgrade if the local Premium Reseller doesn't want to give me a good price when the time comes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I've been using my 2011 13" MBA more than usual lately and playing games that run down the battery each session. I'd be going through 5-7 cycles per week, but instead I kept the battery at 100%, then plugged it into AC power when I start up the games and unplugged it when finished. It's basically been at 100% all week.

Is there any point to doing this, given that it's basically as convenient for me either way, minus the time to unfurl the adapter wire? Am I really saving battery cycles during these peak activity periods? I know I can expect approximately 1000 (or about 2.75 years) of daily charge/recharge cycles where the battery performance is something like 80% or higher, but if I was planning to keep this Air for 3+ years am I really doing myself any favours or not?

Just figured I'd ask, I started doing it really to avoid lengthy recharge times and to avoid situations where I need to hit the road without the battery being at 100%, where things have been getting a little more spontaneous with work lately.

SuperSix posted:

Is it worth getting the non retina 13" MBP at this point? I'm really needing a new lappy for college and I really can't stand my Celeron laptop at this point.
No don't. The 13" Air is the same price and has better display and performance (due to the SSD, which is admittedly less storage space). It's so awesome just do it, it's perfect for your situation by the sounds of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SuperSix posted:

Does the 1.8 ghz gimp any sort of light gaming? I'm planning to run Guild Wars 2 or Eve Online, and I always have a bad feeling about CPUs with low clock speeds.

Tough to say without the numbers for 2012 models (Anandtech only seems to have tested the 15" 2012 MBP), but the 2011 13" MBA was pretty comparable to the 2011 13" MBP for Starcraft 2 for GPU and CPU performances, respectively. Bear in mind the 13" MBA can ultimately drive a higher resolution than a 13" MBP.

Anecdotally I get pretty decent performance out of Portal 2 and The Walking Dead on my stock 2011 13" MBA, albeit with a lot of fan action. Given that gaming is entirely the secondary purpose for it I'm pretty pleased with what it can do. The newer MBAs can do some double-clutch Turbo Boost bullshit now too, so I'm sure they get better performance than what I've seen. Either way if I could do it over the $100 extra to double the RAM seems to be a no-brainer though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Upgrading the CPU is only $100 (less with student discount :eng101:) so it's hard to sweat. I would definitely go for the 8 gig RAM option (again, $100). In hindsight, I'd have preferred to go for the 256gb storage instead of 128- but that's only because I'm a stubborn idiot who willfully refuses to move his massive music collection to an external drive and so I'm constantly hitting the wall. Just keep in mind that these things add up (especially storage- $300 is a lot) and it's really easy to take a relatively affordable, already very capable machine and make it a lot more expensive with nail-biting and add ons.

Edit: Sort of beaten.

Agreed with all you said, except wanted to clarify for SuperSix that the $100 CPU upgrade is only after you've paid the $300 to make the jump to the 256GB hard drive. The stock 13" only has the option for the $100 RAM doubling.

I've been thinking about my purchase and in a perfect world, sure, I would've gone 256GB so that I wouldn't have to rely on my desktop hand-me-down Windows 7 PC to be the anchor for my iTunes library and Home Sharing*. But then I would've also gone double RAM, and faster CPU (because why not) and turned what started as a lean, mean $1200 entryway into owning a Mac into a bloated $1700 50%-more-expensive mess.

Saving a few hundred bucks (especially as a student) means you can get an Apple TV or upgrade to the next Mac just that much sooner.

* Then again, I don't know if Home Sharing works in Power Sleep...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

There's an ongoing competition between doctors and lawyers to see who can be more stupid when it comes to computers.

The only thing worse than being on the outside looking in on this stupidity is being on the inside and having to deal with it. What's worse is that finding IT efficiencies can save your clients lots of money and they'll love you for it, protect your rear end better when they come after you, reduce your overhead in so many ways, and help you get more done in a day. All without taking anything out of your pocket in the long run beyond the initial investment.

Established larger law firms don't understand that and protect the old ways of doing things out of the fear that they'll lose money, which is absolutely infuriating because it also happens to jam up the smaller firms with the competitive niche in IT.

In my experience a lot of lawyers have crippling occupational OCD as per the example described. It doesn't really matter whether it's via computer or otherwise, it has to be done just so or they freak out.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jon93 posted:

I can't decide whether I should spring for the 13' rMBP for screen space or buy a 13' MBA and also buy a Nexus 10 with the money I save. Not sure what to choose, I have a powerful desktop for all my heavy lifting already so the laptop would be for Game Development, typing poo poo, and web browsing youtube poo poo.
Go into a store and try both to see if the resolution for the 13" MBA does it for you. I'd also tend towards waiting a few iterations on the 13" rMBP to get the bugs ironed out where the MBA is rapidly maturing in terms of smooth tech/integration/assembly.

Also, a 13' MBA would be totally hilarious.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

gmq posted:

Am I damaging my MBA by almost never shutting it down? I tend to just close the lid and let it go to sleep.

Nope. Never power down, no gods, no masters. An argument can be made to fully discharge and then fully charge once a month but that's more relevant to previous-gen batteries and only matters now to keep battery charge reporting a little more accurate in OSX.

These things are made to be used pretty casually.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pretend to care posted:

In debating getting the 2013 Air with 128 or 256 onboard storage space, and considering how ridiculously cheap not only USB flash drives are, but also massive external hard drives, is there any argument to be made for paying the not-insignificant $200 upcharge, other than not to be tethered to an external drive all the time?

(sorry for that ridiculous run on sentence)
It really depends on whether the Air is going to be your sole household PC and if you want to use it for games and/or media consumption. If yes to all, then yeah, do it.

If you'll still have a desktop PC, which can have an external drive hooked up to it all the time, and an Apple TV ($99) for media-streaming from that desktop, and you game either via console games or lightly via Steam then I've found 128GB to be plenty.

To load up shows for trips, I just use LogMeIn to flip a bunch of stuff from the desktop external HD onto the desktop's Dropbox folder, then sync over to my Air's Dropbox which can be pretty fast if they're both on the same home high-speed wifi network. I do have like 25GB of space on a free Dropbox account though which helps. Otherwise a portable external HD once in a while for the same purpose and backups has suited me well for my stock 13" 2011 Air.

If you don't know your usage case yet, go 128GB and upcharge next upgrade cycle if you find you need it. You'll be fine in the meantime really.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pretend to care posted:

I have a gaming PC and numerous consoles. That thing has like 2+ TB of storage and I'm running Plex Media Server. I am utterly ignorant of the space requirements for OSX, but I'm assuming that even a formatted 128gb drive will probably have ~95gb free on it out of the factory. That is plenty for just putzing around and/or even short video editing, I'd imagine.

I'm definitely just nitpicking, however, I like optimizing these kinds of things. I'm the type who would argue over $600 in fees on buying a $30,000 car. I'm not proud of it, haha.
Well, sounds like you'd be okay with 128GB if you'd feel bad about "wasting" $200 on doubling it (checking the apple.ca website, it is a $200 difference). If you were considering the factor of reselling it later on down the line to a college kid or whatever I feel like you'd have a much easier time getting a good price for 256GB model on a future-proofing basis.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Engadget reviewed the new 13" Air and got 12:51 worth of runtime playing video, with wifi on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/13/macbook-air-review/

Geekbench and Xbench scores are slightly lower than the 2012 model, however.

Huh. Well, now certainly I don't regret my decision to put my stock 2011 13" Airs on the online classifieds to finance an upgrade to this one. $1000 asking but would certainly take $850. Luckily there is a real paucity of available secondhand Macs in my area, with a few small universities in spitting distance, but has anyone seen the price point on refurb stock 2011 13" Airs on the online Apple Store lately?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

The refurbished 2012 13" Airs are $849

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD231LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

poo poo, I sold mine right at the beginning of this year and I think I only got $750 for it.
Yeah, I saw the 2012 which is where I get my "would take $850" from. Thanks though. Would $100 less for 2011 be a fair ballpark? The big difference if I remember is USB 3.0 and HD4000 graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just an FYI in case it wasn't widely known, the website refurb.me is a pretty cool idea with a great execution for those looking for the price history of refurbs on the online Apple Store. It logs prices for different packages as they last appeared on the Apple Store's refurb section and makes them searchable by basically every metric possible, including obvious "currently in stock" and "out of stock" indicators. It even has the click-through to the store, if it's in stock, and it can tell you how long it's been in stock too.

In my case, it was pretty useful to know that the stock 13" 2011 MacBook Air I've been looking to sell was last seen in the refurb section of the Canadian store 15 days, 14 hours ago at $939 (a 17% discount), and that it has been at that price since August 2012 (except when it took a brief dip to $869 for December 2012 only).

So handy.