Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
At work we have a late 2006 iMac (Intel!) that has started randomly turning off all on its own. I think its a bad power supply, any idea what Apple would charge for a new PS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

If you brought it to a Fruit Stand they might charge around $60-$70, it's basically the same power supply from the old iSight-equipped G5 iMacs.

Ok, thats not so bad, how much does apple charge to actually perform the repair?

Also, we have an Apple Certified repair place just down the road that charges $85/hr just to look at it. Is that competitive with what Apple charges?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Yeah, really, I used to get so sick of that, never went the iFixit route though

For something out of warranty, Apple is definitely going to charge something. But it may vary among the Fruit Stands, you should call the nearest one to you and find out.

New power supply from the Apple Store is $106.50, not bad! The AASP down the street would charge $60 regardless plus time & parts, and it certainly would have been more than $106. Plus Apple had the part on hand!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a 2007 Intel iMac that is randomly shutting off. It doesn't necessarily seem to happen under load or anything, it's mostly random. Once it shuts off if often continues to shut off quickly after startup for the next few hours. I brought it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't get it to shut off randomly at all. They thought it might eb the power supply, but they weren't sure. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just spend the $150 and replace the power supply in the hope that its the problem? Should I be looking for anything specific in the console?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Sonic Dude posted:

It could be heat, but even if it's a sensor going bad you'd hear the fans go nuts before it shut off. Plus the machines normally go to sleep when they overheat, unless it's "oh dear Jesus" hot.

It could be the power supply (that's what I would lean toward) but for anything that's not blindingly obvious, I usually recommend taking the computer to an Apple Store or an AASP. The parts might be more expensive and you have to pay for labor, but if they ordered a power supply and it ended up needing a logic board or cable or whatever, they wouldn't (shouldn't?) charge you for the power supply that wasn't required.

I already brought it to the Apple Store and they left it running overnight will the CPU's fully maxed and it didn't shut off. I've left it running for a few days at the office as well running full-tilt and it didnt shut down. I'm running memtest on it right now to see if maybe thats the problem. I thought it might be the powersupply as well, but its only shut down once since brining it back from the Apple Store. I'm seriously flummoxed. Any ideas?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So my late 2010 Macbook Air's initial warranty is about to expire. I'm considering getting Apple Care for it, but am not sure if it's worth it. I'm thinking that since there are fewer moving parts in these and thus i'm less likely to need warranty service. Any thoughts?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

dexter6 posted:

Any case recommendations for the 11" MBA?

I have the13" version of the Air Manila case by Civilian Lab and I love it. Apparently they make an 11" version now

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have a late 2009 imac, which was one of the revisions that had a hard drive recall a few years back. I never brought it in to get the drive replaced (i'm dumb) and now it suddenly wont boot.

1.) How likely is it that apple would still replace the drive for free? If not for free, what might the cost be?

2.) Can I swap out the 3.5" drive for an SSD? Would something like this one from OWC work? Would I need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 21, 2014

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

Type your serial number into the web page here:

https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

IF it's says its eligible, you pay squat, just bring it in after making an appointment with the Fruit Stand. If it isn't, most likely somewhere north of $200.

If you put in anything other than one of Apple's specially modified drives with the custom firmware on this model, you'll get the jet engine noise from the fans that won't ever quit, but this can be mitigated by using any of the half a dozen or so fan control apps out there. Probably better to get that 2.5/3.5 adapter unless you want the SSD to be swinging around in there (you don't.)

Not eligible, unfortunately!

So even if I get a seagate brand drive, it would need to have apple's custom firmware installed to work? Some places online seemed to indicate that any seagate drive would fix the fan problem, but I doubt thats true.

If that's the case i'll just get an ssd and find fan control software that works.

Thanks for the advice!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 22, 2014

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Not eligible, unfortunately!

So even if I get a seagate brand drive, it would need to have apple's custom firmware installed to work? Some places online seemed to indicate that any seagate drive would fix the fan problem, but I doubt thats true.

If that's the case i'll just get an ssd and find fan control software that works.

Thanks for the advice!

If amazon reviews are to be beleived, this Seagate 1tb drive might do the trick and not make the fans freak out. It's also cheap as hell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRNW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

awesome-express posted:

So I've just set up a 2x2TB NAS at home and dedicated one drive to accept time machine backups. This feature is totally rad. Every time I come back home, my machine backs everything up and I don't have to plug in an external drive like a caveman anymore. poo poo rocks :cool:

Now to hook it up with Amazon Glacier and I'm golden. Praise stebe.

Can you elaborate on your setup a bit? What brand NAS? Does the Time Machine drive get mounted automatically when you get home?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I was a little disappointed that the Apple Store didn't have demo models of any of the new laptops with the fancy trackpad yesterday.

I'm almost 100% positive that any of the Retina Macbook Pros you saw had the new trackpad. I didn't think they were out until I checked the 'About this mac' section and saw that they were new.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone had issues with the current generation Airport Extreme DNS server not working right? All of my poo poo is dead unless I use the Google DNS manually on my machines/phones.

Yep, I had tons of dns issues with my time capsule. Using google's dns helped, but it seemed to me that the culprit was the built in dns cache. It was so goddamn slow that lookups were taking up to 30 seconds. I ended up just returning mine, as I could never get it to work right. Let me know if you find a solution!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My mom has a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro that she says will occasionally hang up/beachball. I've been unable to replicate the issue. My hunch based on some googling is that it could be a bad sata cable. Anyone know of a sure fire way of diagnosing this?

Would it be stupid of me to just replace the cable and convert it to an SSD (while I have it open), or would I just be complicating things while potentially not fixing the initial issue?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
After a few years being Macbook only, i'm finding that i'm missing having a desktop for some light web development work.

Would I be crazy to buy a 2012 Mac Mini and upgrade to an SSD and 16gb of ram? I think that would come in well below the 2018 Mini or iMac, while still being serviceable for the kinds of workloads i'd be doing.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Splinter posted:

Depends on what kind of display you want to run. The quad core i7 will still be okay for a lot of stuff, but the HD 4000 iGPU will show it's age in some cases. I believe its max resolution @ 60 hz is 2560x1600, so that means no 4k displays, 1440p ultrawides (3440 x 1440) or anything higher.

Whoa, the quad core 2012 Mini's on ebay demand a serious premium! Like twice as much as the i5 version, from low $400's to $1000. Crazy for a computer that's almost 7 years old.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I was all set to buy a 2012 Mac Mini and upgrade it to 1tb SSD and max out the ram (16gb), but my father asked me today if I wanted his 2009 iMac that he's not using anymore.

The iMac is a Core 2 Duo, and can't be upgraded to Mojave without jumping through some other hoops, but other than that is it going to be snappier than the Mini with the 16gb ram and an SSD?

Late 2009 iMac:
Core 2 Duo 3.06ghz
Radeon 4850
No OS updates
Free

Late 2012 Mac Mini:
Core i5 2.5ghz
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Updates to Mojave
~$300

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mark Larson posted:

Is selling the iMac and putting that money towards a Mac Mini an option?

It is! Maybe that’s the better option at this point. Getting OS updates might be worth it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

Also, the Mac Mini 2012 is a lot easier to open up, and the Core 2 Duo on that iMac would leave you cringing at the glacial speed of everything after a while, especially on a patched Mojave.

The Mini also has an HDMI -and- a Thunderbolt 1 port, plus an optical audio out if you like that sort of thing.

Only thing going for the iMac is ability to go to 32 GB of RAM and Target Display Mode. Only has USB 2.0 / Firewire (ugh) 800..

All good points! 2012 Mac Mini it is then. Thanks all for talking it through.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

Maxed out Mini 2018 (released October 2018) with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 3.2 -> 4.6 GHz i7 is $1700

He wants to buy Mini 2012 for $300

Unless you got $1400 to throw at him..

This right here! I can't justify that expense when I can spec a 2012 Mini with a 1tb SSD and 16gb ram for about $550 total. Plus i've heard the new Mini's have trouble pushing 4k at 60hz, so it doesn't help me there either. For my use case the horsepower in the 2012 will be enough for a while

It's also worth mentioning that Apple's pricing tiers on the 2018 Mini's are a little insane. The base $799 price seems reasonable, but if you double the space and ram it jumps to $1200, which is only a little less than a 4k iMac with more space.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an early 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, am I completely out of luck if I want to drive an external 4k monitor at 60hz? I've seen tons of mixed reports out there, it's hard to nail down what combination of monitor, cables and settings would actually work. I'm working with Intel Iris 6100 graphics, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any first-hand experience getting it working?

Edit: Specifically I was looking at the Dell p2415q: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-p2415q/apd/210-agnk/monitors-monitor-accessories

frogbs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 1, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

I'm almost positive you can using a DisplayPort cable just not hdmi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a mid-2015 15", can confirm 4k60hz works with Mini Displayport -> Displayport and a cable that supports it. For using Displayport -> HDMI I think you want an active adapter, but should work.

Oh nice, thank you both! Any monitor recommendations other than that dell?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tuyop posted:

I don’t have advice for you but I’m wondering why this seems to be a common policy? I’m here squinting at an iPad and a 15” laptop while an office full of 27” 1440p monitors sits empty, humming to itself quietly. What gives!

On top of what everyone else has said, in larger organizations IT ends up getting asked to help people set these monitors up at home (it's surprising how many people have trouble with this kind of thing), or provide them with the cables for whatever random connector situation they have for their laptop. Plus, this is when you lose track of monitors if they all walk out the door.

On the other hand, I think most people would be respectful and bring the monitor back and figure out how to set things up themselves, so...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine paying $150+tax for a CF reader back in whatever before time this came from. You'd think $150 would get packaging better than a blister pack.

If I remember right, FireWire stuff was so expensive because it required a fair amount of controller hardware in the device itself. It’s also why transfer rates were so high (for the time) and load on the host machine was less than USB. As someone who did a ton of video work 10+ years ago, I really grew to like FireWire, and sort of miss it!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Space Gopher posted:

If only you could still get a high-speed, relatively high-cost interface that provided direct memory access to the host system through a complex controller, which was adopted enthusiastically by Apple but halfheartedly by most other major PC manufacturers.

Well when you put it that way!

I was hoping Light Peak would become a real thing but they switched away from optical and that’s how we got Thunderbolt! Boring!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

The problem is that Fortnite or COD mobile are about as gritty as apple gets when working with third parties, and they never release anything themselves that isn't squeaky clean and rated G/"E for Everybody". Look at the utter cultural nonentity that is the Apple TV+ lineup. Hell, I think bawdy humor on the level of Ratchet & Clank is probably too risqué for Apple. The Apple TV+ version of Game of Thrones has Ramsay Bolton going around giving people swirlies.

Apple buys Epic and immediately tanks Epic with their creative decisions.

Did you watch The Morning Show? It got a lot darker than I was expecting. Steve Carrell's character rapes a woman. Definitely not very family friendly in my opinion.

Splinter posted:

Hey, Mythic Quest was pretty great.

Agreed! Best thing i've seen on AppleTV+ so far.

For All Mankind was also better than I expected, and could be seen as somehwat controversial given that it's playing around with some pretty sacred American history.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I wonder how much they're charging for that developer transition kit?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I wonder how much they're charging for that developer transition kit?

Looks like it's $500, and you have to return it to Apple:

"The DTK, which must be returned to Apple at the end of the program, consists of a Mac mini with Apple’s A12Z Bionic SoC inside and desktop specs, including 16GB of memory, a 512GB SSD, and a variety of Mac I/O ports."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is it normal for companies to charge for access to a temporary Devkit like that? I imagine it’s more a show of good faith/to weed out potential leakers and flippers than a serious attempt at getting money out of developers right?

I think I read that the last time Apple did this, they let developers use the money for the devkit towards a new mac if they wanted to.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Yeast posted:

I replaced an Airport system with Amplifi HD - Ubiquiti's consumer line.

It's really, really good.

Yeah, their Amplifi stuff is bulletproof in my experience, for home stuff especially. I had a home setup with their Edgerouter and a few UAPS and had to mess with it constantly, plus clients wouldn’t handoff between access points well at all. With the Amplifi stuff it’s all seamless and I haven’t had to touch it since install. Highly recommended!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So my mom has a 2010 MacBook Pro, and it’s started randomly beachballing and generally being slow enough as to be unusable. We’re pretty sure this is due to a bad SATA cable (we’ve also already replaced the SSD, so I don’t think it’s a drive dying). We’re up for trying to replace the SATA cable, but I’m a little confused as to which one to get. Some have an IR sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8LLR2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qdWhFb1SYCZ90

While others do not: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR2KIST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ieWhFbMC4QHZK

My hunch is to get the one with the sensor, since having more parts probably cant hurt. Does that sound right?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

And an Ive story- apparently Ive was in the office when one of the design teams streamed Samsung’s Galaxy Fold event (this was 2019 and he was already on his way out at this point/hadn’t been doing day-to-day management for several years) and he said something like “that’s going to bomb immediately” and it turned into him holding court and doing an impromptu q+a about all of the many ways that Apple had tried prototyping folding/dual-screen devices before deciding to pass on them.

According to witnesses present the explainer got really granular, with Ive going into stuff like glass tensility and manufacturing limitations and how apparently Apple has a lab just for making and testing hinges.

I really hope this is true, and I really hope some day I’ve writes a memoir, or at least does more interviews. I can think of only a few people who’ve been in charge of products produced at that scale that are pretty well regarded, it’d be a waste if we didn’t get to hear more from him. I think about his little segment in Objectified a lot and how it was probably the most interesting part of the film.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

louis-rossmann-dicovers-political-science.txt

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you watch any of his advice videos, he’s seriously toxic. Like he’s so visibly mean-spirited and you can just see all the baggage hanging off of him.

And his advice is, naturally, stunted and retrograde. Like “look kid, you gotta spend a summer lifting weights and then punch your haters in the face” level.

One of these dudes who’s so sure that he’s smarter than literally everybody else that he “discovers” basic patterns and relationships between stuff and comes up with his own half-baked conceptions of How Things Are because he refuses to learn from others.

Do people really actually like his videos? For a while I saw him mentioned all the time on places like Hacker News and some Apple/Tech Reddit’s. I thought maybe he had tons of alts and was just posting about himself constantly? It didn’t make sense to me that he’d be that popular.

To me, I couldn’t watch more than a few seconds, he just came off like a made for tv pitchman. I guess maybe there’s a market for ‘Apple Joe Rogan’ out there?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spime Wrangler posted:

Sounds like synergy, which has been doing all that since the early 2000s. Used to use it a bunch and it’s incredibly handy if you’re using multiple machines in one spot.

Didn't Synergy go closed source at some point? I went to install it a while back and remember being disappointed.

Edit: Yeah, looks like it's $29 now. Might be worth it, but if Flow comes with Logitech stuff then i'll give that a try first. https://members.symless.com/purchase

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Coffee Jones posted:

oh yeah let me click in on this one

Why is he vlogging from my Dad's La-Z-Boy in 1994?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't the previous Rosetta discontinued because Apple didn't want to pay to keep licensing it?

Who were they licensing it from? I always thought that was an internally developed thing, or were they paying to license the PowerPC stuff?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

LionArcher posted:

Why you hating on Final cut? I feel this is like telling Writers they have to use Microsoft word

My hunch is they (like me, and pretty much anyone I know that used to edit things beyond being a hobbyist) felt completely abandoned by Apple after they moved to FCPX and moved on to Adobe and (probably) won’t ever look back.

That being said I’ve heard FCP is much better now!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This case is the worst thing Apple has made in at least a decade:

It's like they 100% nailed the original AirPods case, and then just decided to completely gently caress this up in every possible way. It rules.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mediaphage posted:

agree it's dumb as poo poo

like i think their point is to make it thin to slip in a case or bag next to an ipad or laptop but jesus surely there are better options

Yeah, I mean, I don't think that makes it any easier to bring those headphones anywhere. Compared to the similar Sony headphones, whose case, you know, meets the definition of a case:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm trying to help my brother with something. His wife needs a new Macbook, but needs to be able to drive two external monitors. That's prettymuch a no-go with the M1 macbooks at this point, right? He was chatting with Apple Support, who told him this CalDigit dock would work, but it specifically says 'needs an intel mac' in the description. Should she just wait for the M2 or whatever the next iteration is, or look at some USB monitor adapters maybe?