Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LODGE NORTH posted:

Something I hadn't thought about was the accessibility to "5K content" is low. As in, a 4K movie running on a 4K monitor has everything running native, but there's no 5K movies or whatever. It's definitely not a noticeable thing anywhere unless you literally sit there and try to look for it, but it was definitely something I hadn't thought about.

I’ve always assumed the 5K screens were designed in mind with content creation, as it allows you to have a 4K video displayed at native resolution with a thousand pixels leftover for tools etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll never not remind the thread I bought an Intel Mini and an Intel Air in 2020 not knowing the M1s were around the corner. So don’t worry about feeling stupid about spending $200 more than planned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched an fstoppers video where the guy admitted he'd been completely won over by the 14" pro he'd picked up after being a lifelong Windows person. My favorite part of the video was where he loved how great iMessage is on the desktop and how much fun it is to text people off it, and how he dreamed of one day Apple implementing the ability to do SMS from it too. I'm sure dude was delighted to read the comments about that.

I can't disagree, I love iMessage on the desktop too and tends to be how I primarily message friends.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is there any sort of vague schedule for when the apple refurb site gets updated?

i would bite on a base model 14" MBP on sale, but no dice right now

I can't remember the name of it, but there are trackers you can sign up to that'll send you an alert when the item you're looking for turns up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anton Chigurh posted:

Probably not. Don't some Kickstarters just deliver the proceeds to the to the creator(s), never to be heard from again?

At least Doobie tried to do the right thing....didn't he? Lol.

Thunderbolt just plum gave out.

IUG posted:

I could have sworn there was an Apple TV thread, but the search says no.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Guessing the lack of space between Apple and TV stopped it coming up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

knox_harrington posted:

I realised I had a load of work bonus / good-boy points that I could use at different retailers so picked up a mac mini to use as a living room computer / htpc. So far I really like it but am totally clueless about mac os. Are there any good guides anyone can point me to for getting set up? Like, it's working, but idk what the best software is and have no idea if there are any settings I need to adjust.

For HTPC stuff, people like https://trash-guides.info/ a bunch. The software is generally the same between MacOS/Windows/Linux and fairly straightforward for the most part, there’s just lots of options etc.

We have a very similar setup, a Mac Mini in the lounge I use for Plex serving and I’m VNCd into it from work as my daily use machine too. Love these machines so much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Lord Bude posted:

VLC is fine in a ‘it does what it does perfectly well and you’re probably familiar with it from other platforms’ sense but for a Mac specifically IINA is the media player you actually want. It works amazingly well, it’s AS native, and it’s only on MacOS so the devs go out of their way to make it look and feel like a Mac app and quickly adopt new MacOS features.

Actually I’ll go a step further and say VLC probably isn’t the best media player on any platform any more; it’s just become the one people are accustomed to using for the past decade

Agree on both counts, VLC was a blessing when everything else sucked so badly and people were infecting their computers with codec packs but it’s definitely lower quality than alternatives.

IINA is great except I often have an issue with low res video where it will happily playback but has essentially crashed while doing so. Can’t use any options, resize etc. tried various versions and lots of files, never understood why.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, I kept a 2012 specifically for MiniDV work but in most circumstances the thunderbolt chain of chaos works perfectly fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really need to upgrade the ram in my 2018 Mac Mini in the new year. I’ve done ram/ssd on my 2012 Mini before but I know the 2018 is more involved and need to take the system try out etc. I’ve skimmed the ifixit guide, but what’s it like to do in the real world… a pain in the rear end that might have me frying something or straightforward enough with time and patience?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The M1 machine was announced like a week after my return window was closed. I also bought a new Intel laptop around the same time. Was so mad.

So alas it’s not that old and doing the needed ram upgrade is gonna be a good chunk less than switching to another new machine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nitsuga posted:

It’s not that bad. The biggest thing is keeping the screws in order and being careful to follow each step precisely. A nice well lit place to work is key too.

Good tip on the screws, I’ll be more careful than my usual haphazard placement of them.

SourKraut posted:

The M1 is great, but if his current machine is doing what he needs, and just needs more RAM, then paying $100 or so to increase it is a much better recommendation than “Sell the machine and spend several hundred for an M1 that may only be marginally faster at the specific tasks.”

That recommendation mindset is why we have the e-Waste problem we do.

Yeah this is how I see it. Until I bought the 2018 one in 2020 (which they kinda pretended was a refresh but wasn’t) I was running my 2012 one fine but was having major stability issues that turned out to be bad RAM, so I took it as an excuse to upgrade. Got the 2012 running again and it’s FireWire connectivity means it’s a nice little SD edit workstation now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

The ifixit guide has a video, watch it for a better idea of how it all lines up with what you feel comfortable doing. I watched the disassembly; the most delicate thing looks like the LED cable but even it didn't look super hard.

I advise getting the prying tools they show in the video to help open the bottom, lever cables out of sockets, and so on. You can try to do repairs or upgrades on Apple equipment without them, but it's a lot easier with the right tools.

Ah I didn’t spot the video I’ll go back and check, thanks. And yeah totally gonna get the tools I don’t have already from the 2012 one just so I have everything exactly as needed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought due to the cloud usage and a poo poo ton of external storage hanging off my Mini that the 256 would be enough, but ehhhh it's more of a tight squeeze than I'd like it to be. I'll probably add a fast external SSD (I have a regular one attached already but the internal one creams it) and move things like caches and libraries across to that in the next year and hopefully that'll be enough headroom to deal with then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The tragic macpad has a name that is fun to make an insult out of but is actually super good. The only company capable of making a laptop trackpad did a smart thing by letting desktop users in on the action too.

The Magic Mouse charge port is where it is because they didn’t want people to use it plugged into a cable all the time right? Silly for sure but I guess the super short charge time means it’s a good excuse to take a break then come back and continue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought two sticks of RAM from Crucial as I’ve always trusted them in the past, but jeez not massively impressed that they packed computer chips in a packet that I’d think twice about sending a piece of paper in.

The one position thing is I guess UPS Mail Innovations get delivered on a Sunday? Wasn’t expecting that (I know USPS does the final leg).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SourKraut posted:

My local Costco had the base M1 Max Studio for $1297.97 still; I was tempted to get one but held out, but if it goes down lower…

What I’m taking from this is, I need to avoid Costco because otherwise I’d probably talk myself into getting this (if they happened to have one)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shaocaholica posted:

Dammit I got offered another fully loaded trashcan for $300.

drat I’d probably buy that just for the sheer fun of it. Don’t suppose they want to ship?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah neat, well if you get bored and can’t find a use for it I’ll probably be up for it. Just shout in this thread!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

rad, I call dibs on the better one

I was first, and I request yours is thrown down a flight of stairs first ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t remember my 2012 being that bad, but I’d swapped out the SSD and upped the RAM. It was being tasked to video capture until my gf moved in and needed the room it was set up in, but I don’t recall its performance being detrimental.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Facetious posted:

It can't handle the higher bitrates/av1 YouTube uses for 1080p now without stuttering

Hmm feels like this can be worked around just from my knowledge if yt-dl and its forks where you can pick what versions of the files you want (funnily enough I’m dealing with a ton of AV1 files from that process). I wonder if simply playing with the browser identification to something incompatible with AV1 is enough to tell it to use VP9 or whatever instead.

Shaocaholica posted:

It's not high on my list but I would like to have a space gray 2018 max spec mini to go with my space gray iMac Pro

That’s my daily machine, and I still do really like it except it’s the one I moan about a ton because I bought it just before the Apple Silicon announcements were made. It also doesn’t have a very big SSD as I had to cheap out, but I upped the RAM by hand at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the ram was soldered in too on that year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

you sure about that? :)

Yep!

Shaocaholica posted:

Dammit I got offered another fully loaded trashcan for $300.

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat I’d probably buy that just for the sheer fun of it. Don’t suppose they want to ship?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah neat, well if you get bored and can’t find a use for it I’ll probably be up for it. Just shout in this thread!

Enjoy the dents my friend! ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have the Thunderbolt to FireWire dongle they no longer use? Looking to buy one for a reasonable price and the internet isn’t helping. One on Amazon went sold out by the time I decide I wanted it, and lots online seem to be incorrectly labeled dongles for other purposes. I just want to move my DV deck from an old 2012 native FireWire machine!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks both, it's much appreciated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

You'll probably also need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongle. You can get the Apple 3-to-2 dongle a lot cheaper than new on ebay, but it looks like the TB2-FW800 dongle is expensive there now.

Another option might be a TB dock with a Firewire port, but I think all the docks with that feature were TB2 and are no longer made, so you'll face the same issues with finding a cheap one.

Ah, this machine is only TB2 so it removes having a second dongle hanging there at least. I’ve looked at the docks but they also seem rare, expensive, a bit battered and often missing their power supply (and ideally I don’t wanna eat up another plug).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

powderific posted:

Sorry Bromance, couldn't find mine so hopefully the other person can.

Very much appreciate you checking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rawrbomb posted:

Some usb3 stuff is very leaky, and can poison connections near it.

Ugh reminds me of when I worked out years into owning it that the USB hub near my home automation stuff was why anything using zwave was absolutely hit and miss. I had no idea it was a thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I lost my MacBook Air in an airport (it got recovered, it’s just not in the same country as me right now) so I had to buy a budget laptop while here so I can work. I’m used to Windows anyway as I use it for work, luckily in a VM these days, but man the Windows laptop market will never fail to make me laugh. I know a lot of people in this thread don’t have to deal with multiple OS’ so probably don’t know much about the current landscape. I envy you.

In a world where we laugh at 8gb MacBooks still existing, this brand new Win11 machine comes with 4gb shipped. It’s so easy to hit the limit, the OS itself is using like 80% before you even open something.

Somehow I’ve not come across S Mode before. Apparently this is something you choose to have or not at purchase, which nope I didn’t and it came with it anyway. It essentially works like gatekeeper or whatever the MacOS tech is that puts a level up to stop you running unsigned code that’s trivial to go around. Well S mode is a DONT DEACTIVATE UNLESS YOURE REALLY SURE AS YOU CAN NEVER ENABLE AGAIN service. Which I had to look up, because the Windows dialog box had a link that took me to the wrong part of the settings system to disable it.

So naturally I turned it off, and within 5 seconds a McAfee popup appeared on the desktop. Ah Windows and related vendors, you will and forever will remain absolute loving garbage.

(And yes, the trackpad on this thing is absolutely awful)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The history and reasoning behind S mode is interesting, I’d somehow not heard of it until this encounter. My favorite part was the laptop simply not seemingly knowing it was enabled outside of the setting, the dialog box that popped up when I tried to install something thought it couldn’t run for an entirely different reason so led me nowhere. Googling brought up the correct reason and solution.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I finally picked up a Belkin thunderbolt express dock to add FireWire capabilities to my Mac, I haven’t had chance to hook it up to the DV deck yet but the USB performance has me a little bit concerned. Trying to copy stuff from an SD card reader to the internal SSD is an ok speed, but will consistently drop connection and not finish the 4gb fileset. Moving it to my Anker USB hub and it goes faster and has zero issue. Something that is a known issue with these things, or have I picked up one that’s showing its age. I have a midi keyboard hooked up to it too that I haven’t seen freak out, it simply seems to be when it’s maxing out on data.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always assumed running Open Core Legacy Patcher would be an ordeal, but it really isn’t and nice to see how smooth Sonoma is running on 2013 hardware. It’s definitely nicer having the same macOS version running across all 3 machines, even if cloud synced stuff generally behaved well when feature sets differ.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every time I think I can get away with any non-user expandable element, it always bites me in the rear end. Even on a desktop with a bunch of storage hanging it off it and the speed to have things cloud based, I’m constantly fighting a full SSD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

iPad is just a couch browser/game player/media viewer. And it’s really loving good at that. If you’re trying to use it for something other than that that’s on you.

Rather than have a multi monitor setup these days I have an ultra wide and an older iPad Pro plugged in underneath it for whatever else I want to mess around with and it rules so much.

It’s like 7 years old and sure while I never do anything pro on it, it sure as hell doesn’t feel like a device that old. Everything I do still runs so smoothly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have pros and cons about US and UK plugs as that’s the two I’ve spent my life dealing with, and one of the pros the UK gets is never having cables just fall out of the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of FileVault, does anyone here not have it enabled on their desktop machine? I have it running, but it’s a serious pain in the rear end as my machine is mostly run headless and nothing on the network can connect to it until it’s logged in which, yes makes sense for the security but can be a real headache when poo poo reboots.