Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Other "emergencies" you aren't prepared for: car repairs, getting engaged, getting married, etc. Those things can cost lots of money and an overall savings fund can help lessen the blow when they pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

I wouldn't call getting engaged or getting married an emergency. I mean hopefully you know in advance when those are coming so you can plan accordingly.

That's why I listed "emergencies" in quotes. It's not an emergency, but it is an expensive life event and why it is a good idea to have money in the bank.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Be lucky you aren't like me - allergic to whey. I threw up the last time I had protein powder made from whey, and even a bite of my wife's protein bars made my throat swell nearly closed.

Thankfully, soy protein powder is still available and doesn't try to kill me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I buy the Champion C9 brand of clothing (at Target) that is very similar to the stuff Under Armour makes. So far, that stuff has held up to mountain biking, running, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, and everything else I throw at it. Granted, some of my shirts have some minor pulls in them from catching it on sharp things, but overall the stuff performs very well. If you can time it right and buy stuff that's on clearance you can save a ton, especially compared to Under Armour. I bought most of the shirts for around $5-7, and the underwear is about $5/pair.

I'm financially solvent and could afford the top of the line sports wear, but since I just get it dirty and smelly I decided to buy the cheap stuff and it holds up great. Even if I had to replace it twice as often I would still be saving money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It's just a suggestion. Your debt wasn't created by a single event, that "ocean" was created drop by drop. Now it's time to start bailing out the water, and that may mean you need to make certain cuts. I can understand wanting to wear nice underwear, but maybe there's other ways to cut back?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
What should you do? Plan ahead, set aside money for the trips and cut back in other areas to pay for it (maybe decreasing the amount of cigs you buy for instance).

What are you really going to do? Live life like normal, because you don't understand that you are less than broke. You're going to spend and do fun things and put off actually taking an active role in getting rid of your debt.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Don't you all get it? He's willing to do anything at all and live like a hobo to get his debt under control.

Wait, you want him to actually sacrifice? You fools!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Third Murderer posted:

This thread will continue until April 1, 2012, when Cornholio will reveal that tuyop is really just his gimmick account.

I was just thinking that this guy sounds exactly like Zaurg, down to the stupid rationalizations and such.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

sanchez posted:

Oh, I figured it was something fast, probably the combination of military+everyone acting like the car was extravagant.
Yeah, he should have gotten the MazdaSpeed3.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm not calling bullshit yet, but the timing of it all is just too good.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It sucks, but lessons like this teach you more than any of us ever could. I hope it all gets fixed quickly for you!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
People growing up before our eyes ITT. Good on you for choosing to quit, I hope it goes well for you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I thought I was doing pretty well, socking away money and paying down extra on my home while also putting my wife through her BSN. She works currently, which is good news because I just found out my position is being moved to Ohio. There may be other openings here, but I'm pissed because I moved down from Ohio 7 years ago because my position there was being moved out to the field office locations.

I thought I was in one of the most secure positions within the company, but I'm glad I wasn't living at my earning limit. Worst case scenario we should have enough money in savings to live for nearly 2 years on my wife's income alone.

You're not alone in Bad poo poo Happening™, but this is why everyone says you need an emergency fund and to be prepared for the unknown. This is not necessarily for you Tuyop, but anyone reading this who thinks they are in an untouchable position.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 15, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Brakes are generally one of the easiest and cheapest jobs in car maintenance. With a socket set and a borrowed brake repair kit (you can rent them for free from Autozone and other stores with a deposit) you can do the job in around a half hour a side. Parts are usually pretty cheap too, if you're just replacing the pads.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Our Gay Apparel posted:

We don't always get to do what we want.

On top of that, you've now burned bridges that could've taken you towards a place you might have wanted to go in the future.

I don't want to pile on, but I hope you learn that doing what feels best for the immediate or short-term periods will have effects far beyond them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

But yeah your insurance is high because your luck with cars is godawful poo poo.

He doesn't have bad luck. He's an unsafe driver.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Did I just read that you are for all intents and purposes homeless, and for some reason you go out and buy kitchen appliances? Also, does "kitchen appliances" mean the same thing in Canada as the US? (i.e. a stove, refrigerator)

He said "brought" not "bought."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You need to be an active participant in your own rescue, Tuyop. People are throwing you ropes, but it's up to you to grab on.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Also, you can't drop insurance on the car since it is owned by the financier.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Even if I just take the wheels off and put it in the forest somewhere?

I'm almost 100% positive. Check your loan agreement, it probably says that you have to fully insure the car for the duration of the loan.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Do you have a customer base that will be willing to pay you to teach them to work out? Are you the kind of person who can sell yourself, and stay motivated to keep getting new clients? Are you willing to work odd hours to fit other people's schedules? Do you really want to be in a gym all day, every day?

These are questions you need to answer to yourself, honestly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Chronojam posted:

You should look into buying floor models or demo units. We got a nice hardwood table (with chairs) that was normally about $1,000 according to internet research, and got it down to $400 complete with a guy to deliver it, disassemble it and reassemble it back where the old table was.

This is the right idea. The wife and I wanted a chair-and-a-half w/ottoman for our spare room, and they were $500-$800 everywhere. Value City Furniture had one in the perfect color as a floor model and it was $125. It had a little bit of wear, but it's just for our spare room so it was perfect.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

So never sign up for a payment plan on anything unless it's a bed?

Is that a difference between a need and a want or what?

Obviously there is a difference between needs and wants. A cheap, bedbug infested mattress that hurts your back and submits your home to parasites is probably not a good thing in the long run. A clean, comfortable mattress is one of the most important thing you can own.

A couch is not a necessity like a bed, and a TV is definitely a luxury. Surely you see the difference in borrowing a few thousand from the bank to buy a reliable used car (Corolla, etc.) and putting yourself over the barrel for years so you can Zoom Zoom™.

Not all borrowing is bad. It's just that most borrowing is bad when you're already broke. You need to make some smart decisions to fix your situation.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

So I was thinking of my motivation behind spending and consuming most things, and I think my biggest problem is that I'm scared of dying. I need to talk to the psychologist about this, but that's why I really traveled like I did, it's why I hate my job so much, it's the reason behind a scary amount of the things I do and the ways I feel. Like I want to feel good about my life if I had a year to live, or three weeks, or died in an hour. It just never happened, and I guess that's because I've been externalizing all of the ways that I can try to feel better about my life. I need to work on this.

This is a very good possibility. I have a brother who lives his life like this. Back in his twenties, he told me he didn't think he'd live to see 40. He turned 40 this year, and is still struggling to make ends meet because he wasted a good portion of his adult life. I'm not saying you can't have fun, I'm just saying that planning for the long-term makes more sense.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

You're right. To get me there though, I think I have to figure out what "enough" is. When have I traveled enough? What does that even mean? When have I helped enough, created enough, contributed enough? What is enough right now?

Unfortunately, you didn't stop yourself back when you had a chance to think about this before you bought your car. You've made some bad decisions and it's going to take a little while to get those cleared out. The only thing you can do now is to own those mistakes and learn from them. You're still very young, you've got a lot of life to live.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It's on the side of the tire, too. There's no way all 4 of them were illegible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I used to drink one or two 2-liters of soda daily (Surge, mostly) when I was in high school. I gave it all up cold turkey, and it took almost 6 weeks before I felt "normal" again. I used to think I had insomnia, haha.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 6, 2012

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think something's wrong with that graph. Does it add the savings to the total amount of debt, subtract it, or ignore it?

Really, savings on the debt graph should be a negative number. I would prefer you charge your debts as negative numbers so you see how far "up" you have to go to get to zero. Then a positive savings number would make sense.

edit:

Engineer Lenk posted:

Put the debts on the negative y-axis and savings on positive. I can't tell if Toeshoes is an asset or a liability :rimshot:.

This is what I get for opening a reply window and waiting an hour to fill it out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The reason I say your graph should be redone is that if you take $10k in savings to pay off debt, your net worth should not change. The amount of debt owed will be less, but it wasn't free.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Not that I'm worried. We still have 16.5k in available credit, it's just interesting to me that they actually lowered my limit.

My credit limit on my main card used to be almost $20K a few years ago when I was making less money. I just checked it and it's at $5.5k now. Banks are being smarter about how much credit they give people.

I always carry a zero balance, and have never missed a payment in my life FWIW.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Loving the new thread title. :lol:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Tuyop: making GBS threads in a bucket for the environment; burns more gasoline than many third-world countries for vacation

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Anyone else laughing at the "minimalist" who wants to buy one of the most expensive lines of laptops available?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

I guess I've concluded that a laptop is a bit of a messed up priority to have right now. Carry on, guys.

Yay! We're not saying you shouldn't save for an obtain a reasonable laptop, just that you shouldn't run out and buy a luxury laptop. Your situation is better than it was, but you've still got some work to do, and these kinds of realizations are great to see.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

My car is pretty excellent, I've lived in it for weeks at a time. It's even on MMM's non-stupid car list!

I'm fairly certain that the MS3 would not be on that list. I think the base 4-banger is probably what is considered a smart buy, not the tire-destroying MS3.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My mistake! I can't believe he is spending all that money on a non-mazdaspeed 3.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Paying that much more for extra storage is especially stupid when you consider how cheap an external hard drive is from pretty much any computer vendor.

Tuyop, have you looked at what Apple has in the way of refurbished laptops on their website? I can tell you right now that lugging around a 2-3 year old MacBook is really not that heavy if you have a decent bag. You could also look into a netbook if this is only for taking notes, email, checking online course content, word processing and that kind of thing. My husband broke his MacBook and used a $300 netbook for the rest of his time in graduate school. Worked just fine for keeping up with the classes he was teaching as well as writing his whole goddamn thesis. You really, really, really don't need a fancy laptop for an education degree.

My wife got her bachelors in nursing through an on-line course. She almost exclusively used an Asus netbook that cost around $330 when they first came out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

pfafulous posted:

Tuyop, you're spending to your bank balance, not to your budget.
Re-read this again, Tuyop. And a third time.

I understand the feeling you're going through. My wife and I hit a landmark in our savings this month and I've been saving for a new mountain bike. It would have been very easy to walk out of the Trek store with a $4,000 bike because we can easily afford it. However, I've been putting aside a couple hundred bucks every month since April so my budget was around $800. I will admit that I stretched the budget an extra $40 to get a bike with some nicer features, but I planned and saved for it. I cut back on spending for other things for almost 5 months to afford it.

As I handed over my debit card to the cashier I had a small twinge of buyer's remorse over the amount I was spending. If buying an expensive item doesn't make your stomach churn just a little bit, you probably do not have a good grasp on how a budget works.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 22, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Fun story ...

I literally have never had a hard drive fail, nor a USB stick die. I do regular backups just in case, but how in the hell are you having so many failures back to back? Is it the cold of :canada: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Oh, and speaking of buying things that we don't need but don't have either, we've been contributing to the "household goods" line above the monthly expenditures for... awhile now, 25 here, 45 there, thinking we would buy a new kitchen gadget at some point. Well, we noticed this weekend that that balance was $540, and there happened to be a 32" HDTV on Kijiji (same model retails for $330 at Best Buy) for $170! And toeshoes wanted an old DS so we got one of those with games for $70 as well.

This is cool because I think it's one of the first times we've actually put away small amounts of money to buy a thing(s) we've wanted for awhile. It's a pretty stress-free way of going about it! Will try this again in the future.

This is exactly what budgeting is supposed to look like. Good job!

• Locked thread