Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tallgeese posted:

While the physical options are a lot better this time around, you can still only use, at most, two physical leader teams. There's only two good sources of Pierce in this game.

Three, if you want to make an Ultimate Hit/Attack All/Rage Soul team. The skills needed for that are very much endgame/NG+ things, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I have determined that if I end up defeating the staff of DS2 and rewriting the game Joe can stay too.

I liked Joe because it's not often you get a realistic portrayal in a video game of a character who's obviously clinically depressed but trying to hide it.

quote:

Although I think I've found my first "wait, what" glitch in the event scripting as he claimed he was saving an apple he found for his girlfriend an event after her funeral.

Whoops.

I'm not so sure that's a glitch; I don't think that event can happen until after she dies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Alright, possibly-final question about DS2: apparently my second run was effectively perfect. No death, no free battle, befriended and saved everyone. Is it worth going through a final time for bonus bosses or are they just gonna be pushovers at this point?

The later bonus bosses still put up a fight even with level-99 demons. Even if your demons are tough enough to weather most of what they can throw at them, your characters probably aren't unless you deliberately grind them off one of the bonus bosses that spawns minions. None of them are likely to be incredibly tough, but they'll require at least a bit of thought.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Pierce posted:

I tend to play SRPGs from a purely logical perspective. I completely missed that and I am bipolar myself. I may have to look at this again. . . but not today.

That was the impression I got of him, anyway. It's not normal for someone to be that carefree, and you see shades of some pretty deep underlying insecurities sometimes, like when you press him about why he won't visit his girlfriend.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 30, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, when I said speed, I was referring to how soon a character gets their next turn again after having moved/attacked/etc.

Because I took Hinako into a free battle to try her and Keita out and was incredulous at how slow she was.

All playable characters have the same base speed except for the Anguished One, who's significantly faster. Apart from that, if one character is getting fewer turns than others there are a few possible reasons:

* They're taking more actions. Moving and attacking push back your next turn significantly, and spells or demon abilities push it back slightly.
* They're getting attacked more. Every time an enemy attacks you, your next turn is pushed back a little.
* Somebody has a demon that modifies the turn cost of some actions. Dragons and Viles increase the cost of attacking, while a Genma decreases the cost of moving.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Hahaha I knew I had made the wrong decision in my NG+ run when even the narration described her as "something entirely annoying is on your screen" or something to that effect.

The exact line is burned into my memory as a record of my grave error: "The presence on your screen is almost insufferable".

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Radish posted:

In regards to DS2 do you get anything from 100%ing the achievements? I just went through the last ending I needed, thought I beat it with no deaths but must have had a demon die sometime and not noticed since I missed out on that one. On the topic of Tico I liked her just because something about her eyes and demeanor felt incredibly creepy which is what I would expect a website designed to casually tell you when your friends are going to die and how to be.

You definitely don't lose that award for a demon dying, FYI: you only have to keep the team leaders alive. But there's no reward for getting 100% of the awards anyway.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Technique posted:

Say, how much leeway do you get to max everyone's Fate? I've been following a guide to the letter, and just completed wednesday, but Ronaldo didn't rank up when the guide said he should. :ohdear:

There's not much leeway for getting everyone to rank 5 in a single playthrough, but it's not too hard to get everyone to rank 4, which is the highest requirement for any plot stuff. The only thing 5 gets you is the ability to fuse each character's ultimate demon.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You can make arguments about nature vs nurture and how much free will exists, but an all-controlling deity altering the minds of everyone on the planet to act in a certain way goes way beyond what I'm willing to consider the normal state of free will.

On the other hand, it's implied that Polaris and his predecessors have been messing around with human nature throughout the entirety of human history. So it seems like the logical conclusion of your line of reasoning is to take AO's path and undo all of Polaris's work, rather than take Daichi's path and lock in the result of that work at some particular point.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Question about Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS, regarding Keisuke's fate on the 5th day:

I gave Mari's bag to Kaido and let her kill Kudlak during the battle. Later, Kaido did not show up to kill Keisuke, and I was able to enter Keisuke's encounter too. When I confronted Keisuke, I took Atsuro's option to BS Keisuke into stopping instead of fighting him, because I kind of agreed with his idea of vigilante justice. Midori left the party, but Keisuke joined. However, Keisuke's death clock is still at 0. Talking to him on the world map still shows his death clock as 0. Is this an oversight by the developers, or is Keisuke still going to die, even though I gave the bag to Kaido, Kaido didn't kill Keisuke, and Keisuke is safely in my party?

I think it should still be possible for you to save both Keisuke and Kaido after doing what you've done, even though you've locked yourself out of a couple of things.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ExMortis posted:

Not the current topic of conversation at all, but can anyone advise me whether I should stick with Devil Survivor 2 or drop it? I enjoyed the first one pretty well, and I like most of 2, but the bosses are just awful. I feel like there's no way of preparing for their bullshit abilities/conditions without dying three times and slogging through the leadup cutscene again. They're not even demons, they're like... stars or some poo poo. I put it down a few weeks ago on the big spiky ball in the harbor, I hate it.

I guess my question is, does it get better or worse?

I'd say that after that one, there are two more bosses capable of dishing out the same level of bullshit, one of which is the end boss. Pro tip: the game gets much easier once you have access to Evil Flow, the levelled-up version of the Dragon racial skill. Put a dragon on every team and destroy things from 6 spaces away.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I've played Persona 3/4, Devil Survivor 1/2, and Strange Journey.
I also played the first Persona a little but hated it.

All this Persona 4 Arena I've been playing has gotten me eager to play another SMT game. I was looking at playing one of the ps2 games I haven't played. I know Raidou plays differently as it's own unique thing, so do people generally recommend I play Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga? Both in terms of Gameplay and Story.

Gameplay-wise, Nocturne is most like Strange Journey; you play as a single character and recruit an everchanging team of demons to help you out in battle. The game also has a Press Turn mechanic which is kind of a more complex version of the One More mechanic from Persona 3/4, rewarding you for hitting enemy weaknesses with extra actions in combat: you'll get how it works when you see it in action. Storywise, it bears some similarities to Devil Survivor 2 but with the anime wackiness toned way down and the grimness toned way up.

Digital Devil Saga is unusual among MegaTen games in that it's not an automatic game over if the main character dies: instead of summoning demons, you control multiple PCs like a conventional JRPG. Other than that, it plays a lot like Nocturne. So if the load-bearing main character thing annoys you, you might want to give DDS a try. It can get grindy if you want to do all the optional content, and some of the late-game dungeons are kind of big and annoying, but if you could tolerate Strange Journey you'll probably be okay with it. The story is pretty interesting, if weird even by MegaTen standards, but if you're going to play Digital Devil Saga for the story, you more or less have to commit to playing both games, because DDS1 doesn't really have an ending.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 19, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

legoman727 posted:

Popping in to ask for some help.

Devil Survivor 2 - How in the HELL do you take out Polaris? I'm on Daichi's route, normal ending, and just getting wrecked. I made sure to come back with Null, Repel, and Drain Phys on Jungo, Hinako, and MC so the Spear doesn't take out all my MCs, but it's not nearly enough. Polaris gets actions way too quickly so I can't just bumrush him, and he seems to always proc the Forget with his double Cephalids.

I'm trying to grind out some better demons (MC at 63) but the free battles give poo poo for experience, and I breeze through Phase 1 of him anyways. Am I just approaching the fight wrong?

Get a Dragon-class demon in every squad, activate Evil Flow, charge straight ahead, wipe him out. He hits hard, but doesn't have that much HP: if you can survive long enough to get even one good round of attacks in with everyone, he should fall.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Also, if you get a Gold rank on a puzzle segment, you can choose to skip that part in future playthroughs, which makes replays a bit faster.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Booky posted:

How bad is the random encounter rate in the original SMT games anyways? Like "every 2 steps a fight" kinda thing?

Occasionally after ending one fight, another would immediately start before you had a chance to take a step. I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect, that was literally a thing that could happen.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

kthegreat posted:

In Soul Hackers, is it random what gender Nemechi resets to? The first run through it was female, and I've reset it and it seems to be going female again and I'm getting no new demons.

Yeah, it's random. Supposedly if it went down one path last time it's more likely to go down the other path after you reset its growth. Buuut I'm pretty sure its evolution path isn't determined until the moment you evolve it out of its snake form, so you can just save immediately before evolving it and try again if you got the wrong form.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Booky posted:

Does the Moon Phase thing in SMT2 still work the same way for Magic Boxes like in Nocturne? I've tried opening multiple ones in the Full Moon, and got nothing.

I'm pretty sure in SMT2 each magic box only contains a gem on a specific moon phase, and the moon phase you have to open it on depends on what gem it can contain. Of course, since you don't know what gem it can contain until you've successfully got the gem, it's pretty much a guessing game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snix posted:

Thanks for the mitama information earlier. Sorry for being so needy, but I have another question: where's the Masakado Helm in Soul Hackers. That's the only piece of the Masakado set I'm missing.

It's in the final dungeon of the main game. Somewhere in the teleporter maze, I think.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Machine posted:

So I'm kinda just getting into this series... I'm playing through Overclocked on my 3DS and a translated SMT1 ROM via ZSNES, and oh boy these games are weird. In SMT I fused my dog with a gnome-looking demon and got an uber demon dog named Cerberus, bribed a winged demon guy with money and demon money to join me, acted like a pussy to get a goblin to join me, and threatened an ostrich demon who gave me ¥500 and ran off.

Yeah, that'll happen. Make sure you're using the bugfixed version of the SMT1 patch: the first version has major bugs that make one of the three ending routes unfinishable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Related, but would it be accurate to say that getting the bonus for filling out the compendium (Demon Collector) isn't feasible on the first run? You'd perhaps be better off removing the experience penalty first. Also, can you get rewards a second time (like if I max out a character's Fate twice on two different runs) or do you have to continuously complete new ones to get more points?

You only get more points when you fulfil more reward conditions, but you don't lose the ones you've already earned. If you get 300 points on a first playthrough, you'll still have that 300 points to allocate to whatever rewards you want after a second playthrough, plus whatever points you get for completing conditions that you didn't already complete on your first playthrough.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

It's arguably worth getting the main character's In to at least 14 and Ma to at least 8 eventually in order to be able to equip certain items with stat requirements, but that's basically for postgame content so don't worry too much about them early on. Agility is probably the most important stat for the main character, followed by En: putting a few points in St and maybe Lu won't hurt, but you can still get along fine if you neglect them a bit.

Nemissa should prioritise Ma and Ag about equally, should also invest in a decent amount of In, can probably afford to put a point or two in En and Lu if you think they're needed, and should never touch St at all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This is fine with the older SMT games. The games are less about the demons than they are your characters. The Magnetite is part of that too. It's easy to grind for more but I usually wouldn't even roll with a full house (especially in SMTI and II as an example). What I usually do is dungeon crawl with just the main characters and maybe one or two more demons at most to fill in any weaknesses, then right before the boss I bring out a full complement of guys. The demons are much more expendable here than in later games, you should be burning through them, fusing them with the COMP and recruiting more very often. Like every few battles even just recruit a weak demon to fuse him with someone else and see what happens.

Incidentally, all of this is why the Zoma in Soul Hackers is better than it looks: you can level it up by feeding it high-level demons that you don't plan to use (especially Dark ones, which have high MAG costs and are often difficult to fuse into anything else useful), and it has no MAG cost of its own to summon or keep in your party so it's basically a free third character. As long as you can keep even one or two good skills on it, it's a valuable ally.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Machine posted:

Goddamnit, I'm having trouble with Overclocked.

I've gotten to the point in Day 2 where the big bad shows up and you have to run from the fight and I feel like I'm severely under leveled. I can't finish any of the story fights and even the non-hard free battle is annihilating me. My powerful demons are in the late teens and most of them are early teens at most, and the enemies are all in the early to mid twenties. I'm eleven hours in and previously I was having barely any trouble. This is a bummer, obviously.

I'm not sure how you managed to get that badly underlevelled that early on in the first place, but if all else fails you can bring up the menu at any time during a free battle and choose Retreat, keeping any experience you earned during the fight.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Don Gato posted:

When I played SMT1 I ended up lost in the second mall for 2 hours because some of the quests had bizarre requirements and the mall wasn't that well designed. At least the game was fun enough, though having absolutely terrible Japanese skills made the game a lot more difficult for me than it should have been, because the translation patch made it so you couldn't buy guns without jumping through a lot of hoops.

A bugfixed version of the patch is now available, and that's one of the things that got fixed (along with the Law route being unwinnable).

I'd say SMT1 holds up about as well as SMT2 did; if you can tolerate one, you can tolerate the other. SMT1 does give you a bit less direction on where to go at times, though, so you might sometimes have to just explore a bit until you stumble across the right event (or use a walkthrough).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The 3DS has also gotten really good this year after a full 12+ months of not touching it once. Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey 4, Soul Hackers, and soon SMT4. I'm really, really enjoying EO4 so far and I was wondering how Soul Hackers compares. I know it's not SMT but it's a hardcore RPG by Atlus so close enough :v:

Soul Hackers plays a lot like the first two SMT games, if you've ever played or seen those: it's basically a dungeon-crawly first person RPG with demon negotiation, recruitment and fusion. It's worth keeping in mind that it's a remake of a game from 1997, and while there are a few added features it hasn't been completely redone or anything. It has a few bugs and it's pretty rough around the edges, but it's not bad if it's the kind of thing you're looking for. It does have some quality-of-life features like a difficulty setting that can be adjusted on the fly and the ability to save your game almost anywhere (unlocks a few hours into the game) which make it a bit more approachable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well I finally got through the last dungeon in Soul Hackers. Probably my favorite dungeon. It is odd that there is no healing space right before the boss though. So I'm fighting what I assume is the final boss Kadokua on top of Manitou, and how in the hell do I defend against the boss's ultimate laser attack ? It just kills any three people demons in the front row.

Buffs and debuffs. Get some demons with Rakukaja and Tarunda, and use 'em to make the boss's damage output more survivable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

How's the story in Soul Hackers? That's the main reason I'd wanna play it.

I wish they'd put out the rest of the MegaTen games we've missed in the US. Maybe if SH and SMT4 do well enough whatever company that buys Atlus will.

It's not awful, although it's about as bare-bones as a typical mainline SMT game. I suspect your enjoyment of the plot will pretty much stand or fall on how much you like Nemissa, since she gets by far the most lines of any character.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kannuki Toss can be passed to other demons but NOT whispered right? I want to try and make a Metatron with Dark Energy, Kannuki Toss, Repel Phys, and Heaven's Arrow/Occult Flash.

I think Kannuki Throw is one of those skills that can only be inherited with the Demon Fusion Lite app, which gives you less control over what to inherit. And yes, this also means the main character can't get it via Demon Whisper.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

How specific are the requirements for Neutral?

Your alignment has to be within 8 points of true neutral after making the final alignment choice. If it is, you'll be put on the path to the Neutral ending. There are no other requirements, but the alignment window is pretty narrow -- so narrow, in fact, that it's actually possible to be too neutral to get the Neutral ending (the final alignment choice gives you 10 points toward either Law or Chaos, so you have to tack a little in the opposite direction).

If you don't mind some spoilers, there's a full list of every alignment choice and its effects on GameFAQs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

That list isn't accurate, unfortunately. It looks like it's pulled from/a translation of this list which is outdated and hasn't been updated since the actual values were published later on. There are a couple of places where the changes are backwards, and at least one place where the actual alignment shift is substantially more than what's listed there.

Ha, that explains why according to the guide I should have been at around -8 immediately before the final decision but actually ended up having to make the Chaos choice to end up Neutral. I assumed I'd just forgotten to count some +10 Law choice somewhere. Thanks for the corrections.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snix posted:

I think whoever moves first also depends on their position, and how a boss is feeling at that moment. For some reason, Nemissa moved first when I put her in the top left position, but it wasn't guaranteed. On my earliest attempts fighting King Frost, with Nemissa at that position, she went first. But then when that boss unleashed his suicide attack, he went first. Keep in mind, it's been a good while for me, so I could be misremembering everything.

No, you're right. Whether you're in the front or back row makes a major difference to turn order in Soul Hackers, equivalent to about 10 points of agility. If you're keeping characters in the back row, you need to pump agility very heavily to get them to outspeed fast enemies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Certain races of demon are considered "Dark", and won't join you until you get an add-on later. Also, if you have an Extreme Law/Extreme Chaos demon in your active party, Chaos/Law demons won't join you. And generally, each demon has specific responses it likes, although they do deviate on occasion.

And finally, you can't recruit demons above your own character's level, although if that's consistently a major issue it might mean you're underlevelled.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't mean it in the sense that there weren't things that filled that void, but rather that they were heavily outweighed by the number of ones taking place in high school or earlier.

Unrelated, and to perhaps invalidate everything I said in this thread and revealing my True Scrub, can anyone point me towards a guide of some sort that shows the basics of Persona fusion? I keep looking around and everything is about how to get one particular god-tier persona. I have been experimenting blindly and fusing based on whether I've seen the persona before and if it results in a high level one, but that's just making my personas into a mess of overlapping skills.

E. Currently playing P3P

This guide explains how Persona fusion works in Persona 3. It's a bit light on actual advice (although there's a bit at the end), but it lays out everything so you can figure out how to make the Persona you want on your own.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

El Belmondo posted:

P5 will be the SMT of Persona and let me walk all around Tokyo and stuff :allears:

Wasn't Devil Survivor the SMT of Persona in that sense? They're both part of the Megami Ibunroku subfranchise. :v:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Maybe not, but the longest between entries hasn't ever been more a little over two years, and Trauma Team didn't get stunning numbers and wasn't even released in Europe.

Are there any actual sales figures on Trauma Team from a reliable source? Everything I've heard says that it bombed harder than the Enola Gay, but the only numbers I can find are from VGChartz, which apparently gets its numbers by reading entrails.

Delsaber posted:

While it's not exactly a dormant IP, part of me is still wishing for a proper Phantasy Star V after all these years, even knowing that it'll never happen.

I'm the guy who replays Phantasy Star IV once a year, so...

I'm as big a fan of the series as anyone but I don't see how you could do a proper sequel; I could see a side story taking place during the series' timeline (maybe in between games, or maybe set on Earth or something), but PS4's ending already tied up the main series' plot pretty neatly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

oblomov posted:

Excellent, exactly what I need to start. What about making that $$$, specifically the break between cash and magnetite? Is there a good way to make more of one vs the other and then "resell"? Any general tips for money making?

The exchange rate varies as you advance the plot. Whenever the rate is 120 or higher, sell as much MAG as you can afford to lose, because that's about as high as it ever gets. As long as you only buy things that are actual meaningful upgrades for you, cash isn't going to be super tight unless you want the best stuff in the casino (in which case you should really just savescum Vs. Poker as soon as you can afford the minimum number of chips needed to play.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

scissorman posted:

Goddammit, I didn't even notice that was an important choice and now I have the ice line. :argh:
Is there any way to fix this or am I just stuck with a mostly useless Nemissa?

She'll still be able to do crazy damage with her ice spells, she'll just have problems occasionally with enemies that are immune to them. She still gets Megido eventually, and only a couple of levels later than Elec Nemissa does; in Soul Hackers, Megido is actually slightly stronger than Megidola but only hits a single target, so at that point your only issue is with random encounters against groups of ice-resistant enemies. Make sure to always have at least one demon that can do multi-target damage of a type other than ice and you'll do fine.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

It's Megidola that's stronger than Megidolaon.

This page says otherwise, but it could be wrong.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I doubt they'd do a good job of it. It'd be like setting the next Metro game in Canada or something.

I seem to recall one of the devs answered an interview question about games set outside of Japan, and said the team would only be comfortable doing it if they had at least one person on board who had experience living long-term in the city they were using as a setting and was very knowledgeable about it. So they're not absolutely ruling it out but in practice it's not super likely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

neetengie posted:

Persona 4 Golden eliminated that. You choose the skills for your persona from a pool of skills from the personae you're using in that fusion, and the skills need to be compatible with that persona.

Also there are skill cards that can put specific skills on a persona after you've made it and don't care about compatibility, so if you really want Maragi on your Jack Frost there's a way to do it. It's a pretty versatile system.