Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you've built for physical, you can get by with just your MC having Pierce and making everything else keep your buffs/debuffs up while the MC launches charged Freikugels. Might take a little longer without an extra demon helping with damage, but not overly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

I recommend a 10-12 hour survey course on some of the intricacies of japanese culture before starting persona 4, personally

Is this course titled "Diamond is Unbreakable"?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Neeksy posted:

P1 and P2 had a different writer/director team than P3-5. The only continuity between them is at most little nods to each other for fans so you could play them in any order without losing much if anything in terms of narrative.

In terms of how they use the concept of a Persona as a psychological/mythological concept, 1-2-4 are more Jungian. 3 treats it as a superpower with vague connections to the psychological concept. I have no idea how 5 deals with it.

I'd say P5 is very much along the lines of P4, what with the personas being summoned by ripping off a mask both literally and metaphorically. The theme this time is rebellion against societal constraints.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Also, perhaps by accident, perhaps not, P5 happens to be extremely relevant to current events.

BIG SPOILERS
The main not-an-evil-god bad guy is a Japanese nationalist politician promising to Make Japan Great Again

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Stat buffs/debuffs lasted until cleared or overwritten in Nocturne. It was pretty OP honestly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Neeksy posted:

At the very least P4's dungeons have some kind of thematic connection to the characters and plot. Hell, the idea of television and mass communications as an entry point into the collective unconscious is at least a somewhat interesting concept. The how and why of Tartarus is prettymuch "i dunno we needed a dungeon and boss location", and visually imparts no appreciable meaning to the story. P3 was a new scenario writer for the series and is not as cohesively developed as their later entries.

They really go whole hog on the thematic dungeons for P5, but then also have a Tartarus-like randomly generated dungeon where all the side mission targets are(you can't revisit plot dungeons after you've finished them).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Futaba is best girl but I won't date her. She's too imouto.

Not surprised at Maid Teacher and Biker of Justice taking the next two slots.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah Ar Tonelico still had stuff in there for the fujo crowd. Like Targana in AT2.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

i think also the focus on character songs and deep emotions portrayed through music are pretty appealing to a female demo too. that's just me guesstimating tho but when i've talked to other female fans it's pretty much always the music that's brought them in.

I'm a guy, but one of the things I liked about Ar Tonelico (2 especially) is that despite the harem trappings and the weirdness around diving, the female characters get a lot of agency compared to a lot of other RPGs. Croix in Ar Tonelico 2 is basically there for emotional support while Cloche and Luca, and eventually Jacqli, drive the plot forwards. You also get a good amount of development in the relationships between supporting characters, completely independent of Croix. Compare that to, say, Persona 4, where it feels everything revolves around the MC.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rise is cool and I like her, but the navigators still have a problem of having a set number of lines that get repeated all the time. I was never too bothered by it, but if you're annoyed at it in P3 it's not really something they really fixed in p4 from what I remember.

P5 makes it better by allowing the older navi characters to keep piping up so you get more variety in the lines. In total there's three people sharing the navi duties.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Does Tetraja not exist in P3/4?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey SMT4A question here. I've never played one of these before. I can just sort of combine demons as I see fit yeah? There's no reason to have one of each of anything like that?

Always be fusing. If for some reason you want a specific demon back you can pay some macca to summon them out of the compendium.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I lower Teddie's Attack, Agility and Defense, I maybe have Yosuke raise Agility becaus he's just kind of useless at present due to not even having Garula. Chie raises Attack on herself and Yukiko. Then a whole lot of defending because Teddie loves to charge up big moves. I throw in some damage when I've lowered all his stats but I like to keep at least his Agility down so he misses with Heat Wave and his othe rbig party-all moves. A big problem is Yukiko has to Guard a lot b ecause he likes to spam Ice attacks.

Basically I'm able to do a little over 100 damage with Yukiko or Chie and that's with Tarukaja + Rekunda. There's no way I should be this weak for this fight.

I try to fight them but they resist or outright block all Elements, physical attacks do poo poo for damage and they are immune to the status effects I try on them. I know you can Break them so I can use Ice or Fire attacks on them (the only Breaks I have right now) but even that is still low level damage. The only trick seems to be praying you get a Crit. Even Rebellion doesn't seem very helpful. I have a Revolution card but I was uncertain of using it or giving it to Marie to buy back infinitely. I don't have the money for that right now anyway.

IIRC, the hand in each dungeon has a different set of weaknesses. Some of them you will have to pray for crits, yes, but usually you just need to find what they're weak to and then go to town.

EDIT: after looking things up, it appears that P4G golden hands work differently from base P4 and P5 :psyduck: P4G golden hands are only weak to Almighty, so pray for a crit or wait until you get Megido attacks.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 10, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Why would the game want to make you feel bad for romancing someone?

And yeah, Rise has had at least a couple dialogue options like "don't you like me in this swimsuit?" and stuff like tha tand of course I have to say yes. I don't care about her but I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat either. Of course the game might easily take it the wrong way. I have no idea how the Romance vs. Friendship stuff works in this game. If like, when Yosuke asked me who I liked, if it opened up the romance path fo rYukiko or something and saying I like Rise or going with her to the Fesitval did something.

Don't worry, it'll be very obvious. The game will be like "HEY PAY ATTENTION THIS CHOICE IS IMPORTANT" at around SL 8-9

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

It could just be a coincidence, they've recasted a bunch of Persona characters recently for a variety of reasons.

...But I am also curious.

I mean, the new JP VA sounds way different from old Igor, and there's dual audio this time, so recasting Igor in English is only natural, if only to keep the character "feel" similar between both scripts.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

so i never played P5 and haven't kept up with it at all but if y'all are trying to subtly say that igor in this game isn't the same as igor in the others without outright spoiling it you aren't succeeding at all

No, that is genuinely what I've thought the whole time.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I quit Nocturne. I got to the assembly of nihilo and that switch maze completely drained any desire I had to finish the game.

That's... a really easy maze, though?

I once ended up stopping a run there, but that was because I was playing on emulator and a rounding bug made a ladder inaccessible.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

moar like 尻を食ってやがれ、ぼけ

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Number one: hardly anyone knows the full context behind what happened, they just know that dude beat someone up

Number two: yeah, Japanese culture comes down pretty hard on anyone with so much as a whiff of a criminal record, but honestly? We aren't that much better about sexual assault

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

By gimmick do you mean friend who turns out to be foe? Because that's about all they have in common so far as I can recall.

This is random but while I'm here, how do you pronounce "Jun?" It is just jun or is it like June? There's a character named Jun in Tekken where it's pronounced June but she's a girl and I didn't know if there was any difference.

Pronounced "June". Gender doesn't make a difference, it's one of those androgynous names anyways

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

No there were no substantive changes to Naoto. A lot of people like to use the language barrier to spin bullshit, looks like you caught one example

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

What is up with the P5 cast's costumes

Haru's is the most normal looking, but not exactly something you'd dance in. MY IMMERSION.

The P5 cast are all wearing costumes from other SMT games (protag as the Demi-fiend, for example). Haru looks the most normal because she's dressed as the reporter lady from the Raidou games.

Edit: actually, all the costumes in that trailer are references to other SMT games. Junpei is dressed as Hijiri

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Add on that east asian society basically demands you respect your parents even if they're lovely

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Motto posted:

Oh, rin's clothes have wings on the back. Guess they're not being subtle about that, huh.

The marketing material literally calls Rin an angel in big bold font

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bogart posted:

Is her name actually Qatherine

Yes.

In the same ad where they revealed the name, "angel" was in big bold characters next to her
:thunk:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm realizing how little I remember about Nocturne, at least the little things.

There is a Demon Compendium in this game, isn't there? I just got to Ginza, maybe it takes a while to unlock it.

It should unlock very soon, iirc

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if it's just my imagination but it feels like demons level up in Nocturne at a glacial pace. I want to fuse and make new demons so badly but I can't because they all still have one last ability I want. Like Oni and his Fang Breaker. I made a mistake focusing so much on War Cry as bosses are now starting to liberally use Dekunda and I don't have 40 MP to keep wasting on this poo poo.

Hell Biker kicked my rear end and looking online at someone else who beat him had them 4 levels higher than me.Dunno if that's absolutely necessary but I'm taking time to just grind and try to fully level up my demons. The sacrificial fusion seems like the best way to actually get demons leveled up to get all their abilities but it's kinda a....I dunno what you call it. The more levels a sacrifice has the more EXP the fused demons gets, right? So if it takes forever to level up a demon, you don't want to just sacrifice it.

Unless the key is to recruit some Level 2 demon and they max out their skills at in one fight in the Labyrinth of Amala. But I'm not sure if that how the sacrifice works..

Yeah demons level a lot slower than the MC. I would advise registering your guys and fusing up. If you really want that skill later you can pull them back out of the compendium and finish their leveling in a later zone, but odds are a lot of those skills will get obsoleted anyways before long.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Isn't the "perfect harmony" basically the Shijima Reason from Nocturne?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I want a P6 party member to get the Traitor Arcana and be named like Brutus Judas McBackstab and then they turn out to be loyal to you even in your time of need.

Really "play with expectations"

He will be named Yasu but won't be the culprit

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is Japan just overflowing with drunk, middle-aged women hitting on young men or is that purely a masturbatory fantasy trope that Japanese developers keep sticking into their games?

The trope has to be based on something right?

have you never heard of cougars

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the assassinations are all but impossible to prove in the first place, but like i said most of this extra material does not appear to be well thought-out in summary

Judging from pop culture depictions of the Japanese justice system, proof isn't exactly a requirement to put him away. They'd probably just take his confession and call it good enough.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

Here's a good article. Phoenix Wright is shockingly accurate satire but not in the way people pretend it is.

Thanks for this informative link! I guess I was way off base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Diet building owns, I love its silly optical illusion poo poo