Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They should have had it so that dark brotherhood armor is recognized by guards and they get extremely riled up if you're wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Those textures look like everything was etched by acid and then thoroughly cleaned. Sort of a pitted but not patinated look like someone ruined historical artifacts by scrubbing with steel wool.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What's the difference between "Morrowind Patch Project" and "Morrowind Code Patch?"
I ran into a quest where I did the thing right but it acted as if I had failed the quest and according to UESP MPP fixes it.

I'm not real interested in getting a shitload of mods but I want this to work correctly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
poo poo I installed the other one, will it be safe to dump it and put in p4p? When I loaded the other patch it gave a shitload of errors irt sleeper counts but I figured it'd work itself out

e: I was gonna just do it but now I guess I gotta log into nexus?
e2: after I installed it, it threw a shitload of errors, probably I'll just start over if I keep playing
e3: I turned off the steam cloud thing, uninstalled, and then reinstalled everything, and it seems like it breaks madd leveler so gently caress this

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 5, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
    alright I only want a few things out of morrowind
  1. some kinda mod that fixes broken quests and other bugs like that
  2. madd leveler + some kinda hp mod so the lower levels aren't slaved to endurance and I don't have to gently caress around trying to get x5s
  3. something to delay dark brotherhood attacks to a reasonable point
  4. The official addons
  5. couple little mods maybe.

I had
patch for purists,
Madd leveler,
Talrivians State Based HP,
Delayed DB attacks,
Illys solsteim rumor fix,
royal game of ur,
the addons,
and bloated caves

This was all fine but it turns out patch for purists seems to break madd leveler and this is a huge pain in the rear end and sucks. The only reason I wanted P4P is because I ran into a quest that acted like I failed when I actually succeeded correctly.

any advice?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Turns out it was some kind of extremely weird glitch where I had to run the restart script for madd, even though it was a fresh install, and even though it seemed to be initializing correctly. Arcane.

anybody know a mod that just automatically sets the barter thing to give you the best price for your skill / disposition ?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
IMO they're worth chucking in there, except the tit armor is pretty worthless

I kind of like how the armor is pretty unisex except if you have the tit add-on or tribunal

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think adamantium gives access to armor even if you never go to the mainland. You can at least buy it and I think there's a couple places you can just swing buy and grab it? Iirc it's actually kinda cheap to put together like half a suit at super low levels even if you gotta buy it and not loot it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what's the deal with corpus? I wanted to play a game again and got to the point where I've contracted it. I keep getting messages saying my case has worsened but nothing changes on the character sheet -- it just says I have a 1 point change in a couple different stats. Aren't I supposed to get all hosed up and hulky? Am I remembering this part right? Would a mod be doing this? I thought maybe it was because I had used an altar to restore attributes, but then the case worsened and I ended up with the same old -1. Strength and Endurance are still just +1 and the magical effects in the status bar don't change beyond ±1.

I got a bunch of diseases at the same time and I feel like my attributes are hosed up in general. Using constant effect fortifications seem to have done something weird, I had to take them off to actually restore my attributes. I'm guessing it's Madd Leveler. That changes the little token level up thing to 3 skill ups you get +1 to the attribute that governs that skill. It doesn't use a fortification or anything, it actually changes that attribute. This is lame because imo the stock leveling system sucks balls, and was the one main thing I wanted to change. That and how leveling endurance late makes you weaker than if you focused on it early, I got a mod that makes it so that you end up with the same HP either way.

Anyway I would think that if a mod was loving this up, I would still have the status bar showing the "correct" benefits and penalties. Like I should be up to "Corpus: Drain Personality -4" by now, but it only says -1, so what gives?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but I thought it could actually progressively get more potent if you ignore the main quest?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
OR, I could go to Dagoth Ur in his flesh, and of his flesh

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That sounds lazy, just make a 1pt training spell and cast it while you're wandering all over Lorkhans Creation looking for a decent pair of pants.

I was p unhappy to find that you seemingly can't jam all your crap magic skills into one spell and train them up simultaneously. It apparently only gives skill ups for one skill, I think it's just the first listed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah. is that for casting or is that how it decides to assign skill experience?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

raminasi posted:

I assume I’m the only one who likes the default walking. It makes you take your time and enjoy the scenery :shobon:

I do this. In mw you truly start out complete garbage tier and that's how I likes it

I HATE vanilla leveling though. the coins x5 thing was cool when it came out but honestly it's like bartering, just tedious extra complexity for no reason

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i always wait to get level ups naturally and then seek out trainers to ensure i got x5 on 2 attributes (with the last point always going into luck).

i also always prioritize endurance since that affects your hp gain per level, which i always start with low hp as i favor magic use especially early on. once endurance is at 100 i just go for whatever.

state based hp + madd leveler

It took a long time for the needless grognard style crunch to evaporate off of the ES

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think i read somewhere that vvardenfell in-game is only one tenth the size that it is supposed to be, and the towns are only one tenth their size as well (which makes sense, vivec is supposed to be ginormous but in-game it's really not).

i can't decide if i'd actually want a morrowind with an accurately proportioned vvardenfell though. oh who am i kidding, of course i would.

can you imagine what a hellhole vivec would be to get around if it had 10x the number of cantons? The only way it could be sane is if the cantons were redesigned to be livable spaces for actual people and not powerful mage lords with 100pt levitate + fortify speed 100 constant effects

imo they should shoot for realistic sized cities in one of these games. Fuckin nut up and admit that the majority of people are just uninteresting scrub tiers with nothing going on in their lives. It'd be really interesting because you could be a thief and escape into the crowds or you could be a hosed up vampire necromancer living in the sewers and preying on the living for power or whatever. You could get jobs & quests that interact with an actual city. They'd have to do a shitload of writing and development on it to make it feel right though.

I think Mjoll the Lioness represents more than 1% of the population of Riften.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you have extremely lovely stats and acrobatics / athletics you can die trying to canton surf

on the other hand when you're breaking your level1 body like the goon who tried to walk across America and fell over and puked 5 mins in, you will have such low fatigue that jamming jump as you go up and down ramps will easily give you 10,000 "jumps" and a couple acrobatics levels every time you walk around there.

I feel like the best way to amp up acrobatics is throw yourself off a giant mountain and survive the fall damage, or be completely exhausted and do a million one inch jumps every time you go up or down a grade

barter should have been like loving athletics or acrobatics, buying and selling poo poo is annoying as gently caress, it should just give you the max money the merchant will part with based on your skills/attributes/faction/etc instead of making you guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Barn Owl posted:

I like it in the early game, before you are 100 personality/speechcraft, when you take a penalty to disposition for a refused offer. I enjoyed the tension added by having to guess as high as I could go without offending the shopkeep. It's bugged where if you leave the dialogue screen, it resets to base disposition though. I do like being able to take 39 septims for a 40 septim silver vase instead of leaving money in the merchants pocket and tossing dead weight.

Maybe a system where the slider automatically sets to the max that you are guaranteed and stat based dice rolls to haggle beyond that.

nah I mean "just gimme the max dude stop fuckin around. I'll still take the 39 just quit bullshitting me trying to start off with 25." You could still have permanently raise disposition by some fractional amount for every transaction. Having it go down by loving up the deal is kinda dumb imo. It's just business these dudes stand around as their job, you know?

also you can just buy and sell 1 arrow for 1 septim for an hour and max out disposition. That's kinda weird.

I like how they tied in the fact that NPCs never sleep with the dreams that come from Dagoth Ur. That was a cool thing I hadn't noticed the first time I played. They did do a lot of thinking to smooth over the limits of the game in ways that made sense. I think I only ever got that dialog after installing a mod that makes it so only certain people will give rumors about solsteim instead of literally every motherfucker who lives

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't remember, does snow slow you down like ash? if you had armor with a scarf or the right kind of helm you shouldn't get slowed down by ash gently caress ash

I wish there was some kind of non-fashion reason in these games to wear the different kinds of armors. Like the ash thing, or some kind of style skill (ex: bonus when using imperial anything), or iron is easier and cheaper to maintain than ebony or something. Fuckin arrille sells the best light armor you'll get for a while and it's a straight upgrade from all lesser armors. Hell, chitin is cheaper than boiled netch, lighter, has better protection, has better constitution, and has better enchanting properties. What the gently caress? I only use items I personally pick up and just use vendors to sell poo poo anymore.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How do you even get started doing mods for this
also what the gently caress even thes guys got the whole UI doing whatever the hell they want

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
once when the game first came out on xbox me and my brother were playing. I pumped everything into luck and intelligence and enchanted an amulet that healed like 4x my max health and had a huge amount of charge. Man my bro flipped out about that. That was a log rear end time ago drat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Entropy238 posted:

I think for my next character I'm going to play a full-on warrior with GCD, pick 7/9 Combat skills and become a hulking beefcake with 200 STR and END.

whats the difference between gcd and madd leveler + state based HP?

e: maybe I should just get it and find out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I might try it I dunno. I almost always make a character who has at least one skill in each attribute, so there's a mildly annoying med/heavy/spear bottleneck, and at least one spell, and then something for int. Iirc agility strength and speed will have something that's compatible with any concept, just like most concepts could benefit from a spell school. Personality skills are also universally good for any character.

I also like to make sure and favor luck. Kinda sounds like gcd would mess up my guys, but I never figured out what the hell broke corpus in my game either so I probably should just nuke the install and start over.

Any good mods make alchemy less annoying? I forgot how much the alchemy interface sucks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I found a couple hunks of ebony and had ajira learn me on alchemy until I could understand how much health comes from potions. Got all my money back and offloaded some otherwise worthless ore so that works out. I never did the fighter's guild quests, and I got a job where you have to kill a guy who's a skill trainer. I had some cash from selling everything not bolted down and only using equipment I looted, so I tried to max out my skills and then murder to get my money back but I guess he spent it right before I started chopping.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah Caius said he trusted him so I have a chat every time I pass thru. He only had real advice after a certain point and wouldn't talk to me till I already killed some dudes and talked a dude into handing over a ring and stuff.

Really seems like you're gonna want to have speechcraft to do this, or else you're gonna be in weird difficult situations like try to steal or run from guards for murder. I guess I lucked out because I looked up the skills for both fighter's guild and east empire and used that as a baseline for this character. Is intimidate based on something that's not just your speech skill?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I snuck to Thirsk as a real low level and bought some poo poo from the happy go lucky armor guy. Then the game crashed but luckily I had a save right before. Unluckily I went to rebuy the stuff and he had nothing at all for sale :confuoot:

Gonna have to come back later, I can't even kill a regular bear yet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I still dunno why corprus doesn't get worse. I uninstalled everything and started a new game and it still stays at one point forever. Weird and disappointing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh yeah, I didn't post, but I went and got it cured and it was super loving weird. ~spoilers~ but I got immunity to all disease and that's it. The weird part to me was all corpus related stuff evaporated away like nothing. It's like bearenstein / bearinstain: I always remembered it as corpus progressively gets worse, and you get progressively more strength and endurance and less everything else. Then when you get cured everything bad goes away but you keep the stat boosts from it and get disease immunity.

What happened this time was I had 1-point increases and decreases in stats that never changed over time, regardless of how many times I got the "disease progressed" message, and when I got cured both the bad and good effects went away, and I got separate, non-corprus effects to block getting sick from any disease again. I guess the difference is between the old xbox version and the steam version?

But the thing that fucks me up is UESP lists corprus as having the exact behavior that I experienced recently, and I saw nothing that indicates what I remembered was right. 2spooky4me I should have got some ultra hardcore Dagoth mod for Halloween

Like even glancing at that mod it implies the stat changes aren't permanent normally. Fuckin weird, fifteen years ago they were permanent as gently caress. Although the mod should make it so 6th housers above dreamer should be able to give you corpus that's fuckin lame that you can't get it from ash vamps or whatever.

Also you should be able to get blight/corpus from just walking around in blight storms but that's another mod I guess

E; ps it makes more sense that the first time I brought this up people were like "just fuckin get cured" -- because you don't keep the stat alterations from the disease, apparently, so just fuckin move on already.

E2: if that mod doesn't change corpus meats and weeps to give you some kind of chance to get infected if you eat or brew them then just get the gently caress outta here

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 24, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That's pretty cool & interesting. I have a lot of stat damage that I need to cure, but no benefits from getting divine tumors. It's a substantial amount, the fists of ragulf or w/e are the only thing keeping me upright, I think I got slammed with some potent stat damage spells along with corpus.

My mods are:
Bloodmoon.esm
Morrowind
Tribunal
Bloated caves.esp
The Royal Game of Ur
[all the download ones from beth except lafemme]
DB_Attack_Mod (it's supposed to change when the brotherhood assassin comes to some later time)
Madd_Leveler (it's only supposed to change level ups so you can't get past a x1 token on stats, but every time you gain skill levels 3 times you get +1 to the governed stat)
Illy's Solsteim Rumor thing (only a few specific npcs and npcs that have the agent class will give you rumors about solsteim)
Talrivian's state-based hp (changes the hp calculations so you don't need to focus on endurance asap to get hp, it just maths it out so the order of stat gain across levels doesn't matter anymore)

It's still weird as gently caress because none of the documents that come with the mods mention corprus and none of them mentioned it on their download pages. The only thing that I have that mods stats is madd.

as far as mods go, I was thinking it'd be neat to change one of the downloads, the entertainers one that lets you do poo poo at the 8 plates for cash, and lets you do this for every inn that has actual patrons floating around in it.

Is it really true that there's multiple versions of corprus in the game and they're not all used? That's an interesting thing about the development of the game. I guess at one point they felt it would gently caress up the main quest to have it be normally catchable, but even if it was they could have made it play out in some other way. Not like they had infinite dev hours tho. Same as security and opening "sealed documents" without being caught, I never ran into one in actual gameplay but I guess you could find some for some quests and have the option to try to peek? That could be interesting if you tried to read the coded docs and Caius saw you hosed the seal up.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 24, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ItBreathes posted:

Morrowind and its contemporaries are old enough that I don't notice the "badness" of the graphics, they're quaint and/or retro, far enough removed from current graphics that it's almost a style unto itself, unlike, say, 360 era graphics, which just look dated and bad.

same, once they get to historical the graphics only stand on their own merits. Morrowind is insanely brown as gently caress tho lol. I was walking around and realized the ground was brown, the monsters nearby were brown, every piece of clothes I was wearing were shades of brown except tiny highlights, my actual character was brown, and if it had been an ash storm the sky would have been brown

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if the ruby ridge mod doesn't have an illegal assault on FREE IMPERIAL CITIZENS by ordinators and buoyant armigers looking for sawed off dwarven crossbows it should have been deleted

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I decided gently caress this mystical mumbo jumbo poo poo anyway and moved to solstheim to get rich workin' for the Company

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jay Rust posted:

I knew that fetcher was holding out on me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Doc Hawkins posted:

It bothers me that all the tiny critters are so aggressive, it's just more noticeable with cliff racers because they're much harder to outrun, and they make that noise.

One of my must-have mods is one that makes non-plagued animals much more placid. Not tame, but not possessed with nerevar-hatred. And it can varies by the animal: you can coexist with mudcrabs and kwama foragers, but nix-hounds and slaughterfish are out for blood.

With that solved, I just wished cliff-racers actually soared around, not just do that awkward idle-walk-around-at-elevation. :sigh:

*A mystical demigod strides over the horizon.*
*Crackling with power, its every step is a koan of sword-wisdom*

Rat: gently caress this BITCH don't you come up to my den like that your DEAD

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
speechcraft / merch aren't totally garbage skills imo, if you're making a character who has maybe one skill sunk into magic you might not have a lot of magica reserves and the social skills can get you by without blowing the bank on charms. Admittedly this is only going to be meaningful if magic is a pretty minor aspect of the playthru. If you can be sure you'll have plenty of magic or some mod that will make it regenerate this goes out the window. Otherwise you better be well rested I guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they tend to get caught on trees and stuff too, so you could end up collecting a shitload of them without realizing it, and when you gotta stop to fight one suddenly there's like 3 more able to catch up and it seems like they're coming out of nowhere.

Watch the skies traveler.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
angry fire antler armor is like

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The weight savings of medium over heavy can be meaningful at a certain weight range, but at that point you may be better off leaving coverage gaps. IMO it's a bad idea and slows your skill gains, but it's up to who's runnin it in the end. Until you're fully ripped you wanna be running as light as humanly possible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Medium armor has:
Bonemold, orcish, adamantium, indoril, royal guard in tribunal, and the ebony mail.

It is the armor of Pure Aesthetic.

pff how can you forget the story of Ruddy Man gtfo
e: not to mention dragonscale, but newtscale is a strong contender in the scale front. Medium also has Nordic Ring that is a good lookin armor for low levels.
e2: no, wear what you like regardless of stats, once you get your skills up enough you can walk around in your undies with an iron dagger and kill whatever you want

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 13, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vavrek posted:

The true third expansion pack.

:stwoon:

Magicka regenerates when you sleep. It does not regenerate during normal play, nor while using the Wait function (I think). A note about Fatigue: Your Current Fatigue / Maximum Fatigue ratio gets applied to basically everything you do, with something like a 75% full Fatigue bar giving you no modifiers. If you're at full, you get something like a +25% bonus to everything you're doing that requires a probability roll (e.g. attacking someone, using speechcraft, enchanting an item). When your Fatigue bar is empty, that drops to ... -50%? My point here is that Fatigue is important. My second point is that Fortify Fatigue can give you a bonus success chance to everything you do, because that bonus/malus function isn't really capped. If your normal base maximum Fatigue is 200, but you've fortified and have a current Fatigue of 300, you get some awesome bonus to all your rolls.

gently caress! I sold all my fortifies! also true nerevarines only sleep for magic. Fast travel counts as rest but doesn't let you dream.

chaosapiant posted:

One of the things I always did on Morrowind playthroughs is make my own class, as I'm sure everyone else did. Nowadays I find myself either picking a class and just going with it, or doing the questionnaire. Does anyone else do this or does everyone just do custom?

Mix. I used to always make my own to make sure I have at least one skill of every attribute, but it doesn't actually matter, just like it doesn't actually matter if you have that +10 luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Doc Hawkins posted:

I like replicating and using NPC classes like Shipmaster, Bookseller, or Slave.

I just started a freed slave game. It's weird but good. You really do start much more physically fit, & I beat the smugglers by the stilt strider to death with my bare hands it was brutal as gently caress.

This is cool but I guess it has dependencies and I already hosed up corpus who knows what the gently caress happens when I try to use that.