Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

spit on my clit posted:

I go to "about firefox" and it says i'm up to date despite being on 54.0.1, what gives

Samesies. Did they pull the auto-update for 55.x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

They might be delaying the update until 55.0.2 is out (monday or tuesday)

This is my guess. Auto-update still isn't going.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

pairofdimes posted:

There's apparently a big bug if there's an apostrophe anywhere in the profile path: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/6tfsok/has_55_been_pulled_from_updates/dlkd9t3/

55.0.2 is out now and auto-updating.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I like the new screenshot feature. It's really slick how it highlights different divs.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Nalin posted:

In all, I like the changes to 57. Most things seem more sensibly placed, and everything is very snappy. Going without SALR and Greasemonkey is pretty terrible, though. Apparently Greasemonkey is going for a full-on compatibility breaking rewrite because of Firefox 57, so that sucks. I guess I'll have to switch to Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey or something in the meantime. From what I hear, they are both kinda sub-optimal in how they were forced to be designed, but I don't use many complex scripts anyway.

drat, I was wondering how Greasemonkey's progress for 57 was going. That doesn't sound good.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm not a huge fan of the new options layout. I liked it better when it was more separated. Now, all the options are just thrown together on 3 main pages.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I think FF 57 might be a nice opportunity to turn this into a new thread. We're at 206 pages on this one, and 57 is big enough of a chance that it'll probably cause quite the commotion.

[edit]

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Those of you that use DownThemAll!, did you see that the dev had a change of heart and is actually working on a WebExtensions version?

https://www.downthemall.net/progress/
https://www.downthemall.net/patronage-and-progress/

This makes my day. This and Greasemonkey are the only extensions I use that are still legacy.

Regarding Greasemonkey, I've seen Tampermonkey and Violentmonkey most commonly discussed as alternatives. Any opinions? I haven't tried either, but right now, I'm leaning towards Violentmonkey purely because it's open source, and Tampermonkey isn't.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why has Firefox 58 become such a memory hog? It sometimes gets to a point that I have to close it and restart.

How long have you been running the same profile? Might just be time for a refresh. Also, reevaluate each extension you're using to make sure you really need it.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

mike12345 posted:

59 feels even snappier? Idk maybe I'm seeing things.

From the release notes, there are more performance enhancements:

quote:

Performance enhancements:
- Faster load times for content on the Firefox Home page
- Faster page load times by loading either from the networked cache or the cache on the user’s hard drive (Race Cache With Network)
- Improved graphics rendering using Off-Main-Thread Painting (OMTP) for Mac users (OMTP for Windows and Linux was released in Firefox 58)

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lum posted:

Is there a blanket way to stop addons from opening a new tab every time they update. It confuses the gently caress out of my GF each time, especially on Android where the tabs are less obvious and it just looks like the page changed. I'm kinda sick of having to explain it and close tabs for her.

Agreed, this is super irritating.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Did you follow the instructions in the OP?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Klyith posted:

Should have put a sarcasm mark on that, pocket is actually a pretty innocuous design for people who don't make an account with it. At least, innocuous on mozilla's part. The third parties that mozilla is getting "trending stories" from are probably a completely different story.

speaking of browsing while institutionally paranoid, is anyone fully into using the container tabs stuff? I keep thinking I should set up a system with that, but haven't bothered to yet. if container tabs could also isolate history I'd be so into that.

I'm personally using the Facebook Container extension, and it's pretty great. I'd like to containerize Google stuff as well using the full-featured container app, but I haven't bothered yet.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

Somebody come up with a funny title and I will replace the 15 year old forums catchphrase I used.

Mozilla Firefox: More fire and fewer cancer warnings than California

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

tonic posted:

Disabling UBlock Origin fixes the issue, but now I have ads. Is there another option I should be using?

No. Use uBlock Origin. Just spend some time trying to diagnose the issue. Reset the settings to default and see if that helps. It could be some funky subscription that's causing the issue.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
What YouTube extension(s) are you guys using these days? I've been using YouTube High Definition for a long time now, which I love because it's simple and does exactly what I need (auto-HD, auto-expand video area, etc.), but it hasn't been updated in about a year and occasionally acts funky due to YT layout changes. I'm worried it's been abandoned or something happened to the dev, so I'd like to find a replacement.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

overmind2000 posted:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader is probably the best extension of its type if you download a lot of videos and/or convert them into different formats.

I rarely download YouTube videos (and when I do, I use the command line tool youtube-dl). I'm mostly looking for an extension to automatically pick the highest quality, automatically expand the video to take up more space, and automatically expand the video description box, which is what the extension I've been using does so well.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does anyone else have problems with google play music hitching momentarily? It just abruptly freezes for like half a second then continues like nothing happened. It seems to happen every fifth song or so, and I can't figure out why.

Never experienced this. What version of FF? What extensions? Walk through the steps in the OP to help diagnose.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

MohShuvuu posted:

What Gmail extension is the best to use? I've been using Checker Plus, but some recent update made it unable to load my inbox in a new tab when I want to see the full email.

What do you want out of a Gmail extension? I just leave Gmail open in a pinned tab, and that does what I need.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Toast Museum posted:

Can't Gmail do toast notifications on its own? What are these notifier extensions adding?

That was my question as well. Notifications are built into Gmail.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

drat, that's huge.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

doctorfrog posted:

I don't see a lot of this, but I've been pretty drat happy with Firefox lately. The only thing I'd really wanna remove is Pocket: have it be a preinstalled extension at worst.

New logo's fine.

Firefox is the best.

In general, there's a negative bias for the people that post about a topic online because they have more motivation. Many more people are satisfied with FF than unsatisfied.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

slidebite posted:

Is there an extension for Firefox which checks your email? IE: I have a domain and use the included webmail, but I'd like something on my address bar/wherever that alerts when I have an email.

Just pin a tab for your webmail, and if it enables notifications (like Gmail), then enable notifications.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lambert posted:

YouTube Premium includes YouTube Music, but you can also just get YouTube Music.

Also, Premium is worth it. YT Music is pretty bad compared to Spotify, the playlists especially are mostly garbage because they're mostly pulled from regular YouTube. But the overall package is worth it.

And "Creators" :barf: do get paid with Premium.

It still does come with it, but Google Play Music is being phased out in favor of YT Music - which is why they're not advertising it. YouTube Music is Google's new full music streaming platform.

Agreed. YouTube Premium is great. If you watch YouTube on a streaming box (I have an NVIDIA Shield, and we watch YouTube all the time - lots of music video stations), it's almost mandatory to avoid the ads. I'm a long-time user of Google Play Music, too, and am waiting for Google to transition all my playlists and library over to YouTube Music. It was supposed to happen last year, but the deadline keeps slipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Most of my YouTube watching is on my iPad. Maybe it's just my territory, but I have not seen an ad that is not skippable after 5 seconds. Sometimes there are two adverts, but it's rare. Are there places where they force you to watch the full ad? I guess the background playing would be useful in some cases. I don't suppose Picture-in-Picture is available either?

They're all skippable, but that requires interaction. I throw up YouTube music videos on my nvidia shield while I'm working at home, cleaning, cooking, and throwing parties. I don't wanna have to deal with ads during any of those. I guess I'm just a brat haha.