Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blistex posted:

/\/\ Ok, what is with the giant red stars on the front of houses? I've been noticing them more and more all over the place and they seem to me to be some manner of "thing" as opposed to a common decorating trend amongst home owners.

Is is some manner of "Freemasons/Chinese Communists/Astronomers live here" signal or do people really walk past a giant red tin star in a store and say, "that sucker needs to be displayed on the front of my house!"?

Edit: I'm in Ontario and see them everywhere, my brother (lives in Calgary) just confirmed that this is something he has noticed there as well.

It has some Christian meanings (beyond the obvious star over Bethlehem) that elude me at the moment.

There's also the Texas angle, as well as the neo-pagan man-with-open-arms symbol. I only mention this because I'm really enjoying the mental image of Texan neo-pagans. Possibly in cowboy hats.

Edit:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ferremit posted:

We put those signs up in every cubicle and within a week they had all been stolen.

Sounds like you didn't attach them correctly. :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

For the eight months or whatever I've owned my house the hall bathroom's tub has never really drained quite right. I've been procrastinating on dealing with it for various reasons, mostly that I rarely have guests stay over, the step-on latch drain plug thing is all kinds of hosed up, and I'm lazy.

I decided to finally see what was up. It took a good while to wrestle off the goddamn plug cartridge...thing because it was both corroded and crossthreaded. I had to turn it so hard the lovely tub was flexing and I was afraid I was gonna end up with two problems. I managed to get it off, and the cause of the drainage problem was suddenly clear:

The drain was full of seashells. :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Munin posted:

Well, I presume they are not whole sheels otherwise they'd never have gotten down the drain. If it's a house on the beach it might have been bits of shell stuck on people which went down the drain as they washed themseves down. There'd be sand as well but that would slowly settle towards the bottom of the pipe.

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people like having shells in their bathroom as decorations + kids are loving awful.

EroticRobot posted:

...how? how?? I'm in the process of house hunting right now, and I can't even imagine. Did someone put them there? Did they magically materialize? Why??? :gonk:

Whole shells. I live nowhere near the beach, and they're relatively small, so decoration+children seems reasonable. The weird thing is that the push-latch plug was flush enough that you couldn't fit the shells through the gap. I don't see how they could have gotten here without removing the plug. :circlefap:

In any case, there were few enough of them and they were close enough to the surface that I got all of the visible ones out with a bent coat hanger.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leperflesh posted:

Neither of my bathrooms have fans at all. Just windows. Too steamy in there? Open the window.

Not everyone lives in a climate where this makes sense. Just a few posts up from yours is a guy who has snow on the ground in April. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are places where it's so hot out during the summer that the soap will melt.

Also, not all bathrooms have windows.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leperflesh posted:

My post wasn't intended as "you idiots just open a window," it was "this was the dumb thing my house's architect said in the mid-50s while he was doodling on his classic post-war steel 1950s desk with his fancy protractor and his slide rule and his unfiltered cigarettes, while his sexually repressed secretary stood by taking notes on her steno pad."

Heh, sorry, I've been reading DIY forums where people say exactly this. I went trawling through them for my home repair horrors fix but it turns out the kind of idiot who does that poo poo for the most part takes lovely pictures and tells lovely stories. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SkunkDuster posted:

The grenades were there to destroy the cryptography equipment in a hurry to keep it from getting into enemy hands. The two systems were intended to be used independent of each other. If something isn't on fire but should be, use a grenade. If something is on fire and shouldn't be, use Halon.

So it's like duct tape and super glue.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suave Fedora posted:

I see it as artwork. It's a commentary on how we should functionally always in the present but should never forget the lessons of the past. Lest we be doomed repeat them. Or something.

More like ignore and plaster over the mistakes of the past and pretend the trappings of modernity are all that matters even as the legacy of authoritarianism and irredentism steer you back down the hole you'd been climbing out of. :black101:

Wait, which board am I in again?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

It's always a pleasant feeling to watch someone who is really good at their job.

The soothing music helps too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Cover everything in plastic wrap so you can just wrap up all the evidence when you're done easy-peasy.

Just do it out in the woods where you can leave the body and no one will notice. What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dillbag posted:

Same thing happened a few years ago with an elder/end of life hospice opening up near a few residential buildings in a primarily Asian neighbourhood in Vancouver. I'm mixed Chinese and I'm pretty convinced these days that it's just an excuse so the property owners can save face by appearing to be silly superstitious folk when they're really just greedy, insensitive, ageist assholes who are only concerned about their property values.

Why not both! :v:

Only half joking. Old folks and ghosts both represent mortality.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xergm posted:

That was my immediate thought. If you're competent enough to replace a toilet, wax ring and all, aren't you also smart enough to figure out how to remove a few hinge pins? I would've laughed, shrugged, and had it fixed in just a couple minutes.

What on earth makes you think the person who took this picture thinks the problem is unsolvable? He probably just realized what he'd done, laughed, took the picture, then fixed it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the under-stairs dog home seems like a cool idea, but it seems like an incredible pain in the rear end to get in there to clean it fully.

You don't need to clean it fully, just enough that it doesn't bother the dog. That's more than clean enough to not stink (any worse than the dog), and no one is going to notice who doesn't climb into the dog's bed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kid sinister posted:

I'm shocked by this Thai pedestrian overpass :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgP8cdrV6w

:frogsiren:

So, uh, any idea what sort of current is going through those lines? Are they full-on power lines, some sort of communications, or what?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I have to quote this reply:

quote:

I got dysentary in Afghanistan. Their toilets are actually just porcelain holes in the ground you squat over to do business which we got tired of pretty quickly so we built a chair which was just two rectangles with a space between them for pooping. Down side was there was something like a three foot drop to the floor.

One day the shits hit me hard. I use the chair but soon after letting out this torrent of poo poo I realize most of it is hitting the wall and floor behind the hole. There wasn't anything I could do but keep going. There was so much poo poo...

An hour later I have to poo poo again. I head to the other chair we have built being careful to properly aim at the hole when I start to hear two people a row down talking about cleaning up my poo poo (side note: they were artillary, we were infantry and they had left us their fair share of messes plenty of times around the COP that I can say I did that first one guilt free). The only line I remember them saying was, "I can understand missing the hole, but why the gently caress would you just keep going like that?"

I start making GBS threads my brains out again, immediately shotgunning the entire back wall with muck. Again, I couldn't stop it. The damage was done, I was so drat lucky they didn't check my stall before leaving, that they didn't see me leaving.

What I do feel guilty about is that the guys who cleaned up my poo poo were getting hosed up for not cleaning up my poo poo after being told to. Their squad leader walked in and found my second stall, thought his privates just blew him off and were making up excuses. I remember him yelling, "Well why in the gently caress would someone do that twice!?"

That second one I'll feel guilty about for a long time to come.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motronic posted:

I'm gonna need to teach you how to make a proper fire.

Is this going to involve aluminum powder?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Safety Dance posted:

Oh they did those too.

Keep in mind that radium got to be a marketing buzzwork along the lines of, I don't know, quantum or something. Companies would slap it on random-rear end products that in no way contained radium.

And also, y'know, on products that actually contained radium.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leperflesh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the carbon monoxide that kills you, not depletion of oxygen.

CO is the result of incomplete combustion, so I assume, given a lovely chimney, drafty is probably safer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slanderer posted:

There has to be some catch. At the very least, it seems like there is more work involved in the actual painting process, but I figure there's other stuff (maybe a narrower range of suitable temperature and humidity for drying?)

Linseed oil oxidizing is a very exothermic process. Depending on conditions it can actually spontaneously combust. Typically this is the result of oily rags wadded up and stuffed in a box, but it's a gotcha other kinds of paint don't have.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

flosofl posted:

And seriously, if your flow control is so bad that you need to have a mop on standby every time you tinkle, just give up as a failure at being an adult male and pee sitting down.

You think it's all going in, but there's always a drop or two that goes wide. This accumulates over time.

Or it comes out sideways first thing in the morning.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

Avocado was super common for kitchen appliances in the 1970s United States though.

The house I grew up in was built in 1954, and has medium grey tile work with pink tile accents, and a pink toilet/sink. (Shower is grey and pink tile, with a terrazzo floor that matches the rest of the house, no tub.)

The other bathroom (mine) is seafoam green and pink tile. Sink, toilet, and tub are pink.

If it's the color I'm thinking of it's not even pink. It's this awful...mauve? I don't even know, but I hate it.

quote:

Edit: the problem with all the bathrooms (other than the sometimes-questionable colors,) in the neighborhood is that the tile work is absolutely superb, and simply cannot be matched at any price now. Dead-straight rows, with properly planned spacing, very little "oh poo poo I'll us a single row of quarter-cut right here." All that is tucked behind the door, or at the corner of the shower. I makes modern tile work in this area look loving sad, by comparison.

I'd noticed this. So what the hell happened? Is proper tile installation lostech?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

In another 20 years those hideous 70s bathrooms are going to be in style again with minor modification. I always thought 90% of granite countertops looked gross. Quartz or butcher block all the way.

Could you post examples of granite you consider gross looking?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is it just me or does that bathroom have huge windows with no means of covering them?

Lol, daily cleaning.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspect Bucket posted:

.... It's in the same reasoning of why most dogs will get washed with the world's finest dog shampoo, watered down Dial dish soap, instead of perfumed waygu cow crap. It's quality and economy, not flashy bullshit.

I thought most folks just bought a bottle of non eye irritating baby or puppy shampoo (whichever is cheaper) then used that forever because how often are you really going to bathe your dog?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jeherrin posted:

In windowless bathrooms in the UK, it's mandatory to have a fan of the kind you describe.

I've literally never seen one in the US. Most bathrooms have them on separate switches which accomplishes the same general task without leaving you UNABLE to stop the stupid fan.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A friend if mine has a kitchen pantry three inches deep. It has one of those awful track folding doors.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deedle posted:

I don't see the problem with a 3" deep closet. Beer cans are less than 3" in diameter, so the closet is perfectly functional.

Think about how those folding doors work. The ends move through some of that space as it opens/closes. It won't close if you put anything thicker than a beer bottle in there. Unless you push real hard; then it won't open.

I probably should have said that originally. v:shepface:v

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspect Bucket posted:

.... You go for last year's canned jams and find yourself telling everyone "I'f i'm not back in five minutes...."

I miss old garage stairs pantry.

:lol: This had me imagining an alternate universe Junji Ito comic. THIS CAN OF JAM WAS MADE FOR ME. (drrrrrrrr drrr drrrrr)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

What happens when you build a bathroom out of leftovers from other jobs?

God help me, I kind of like it. It'd be better with an actual knob for the shower, and, y'know, some way to control the faucet, but it has this kind of post apocalyptic home decor magazine charm.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NancyPants posted:

It's like someone cut all the joists too short by an inch or so.

Or maybe the building was made an inch too long!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just light my face on fire.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ambrose Burnside posted:

also confused as to why youd bother with a tub if it's only half a human long

Bathing children and pets.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GotLag posted:

Oh no another dude might see my dick :ohdear:

I prefer to pick the dude, not have him pick me when I'm at the middle stall in a row of seven oh my god what the gently caress is wrong with people

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Messadiah posted:

That's not for peeing in!

Then what the hell is it? This is not a rhetorical question.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I turned on the lights in my kitchen a few minutes ago (I don't use that light much) and they flickered and went bzzzzz. So I turned off the breaker for that circuit and investigated. Turns out the screws that hold the wires in the wall switch hadn't been tightened down properly, and had been like that since before I moved in. They weren't even finger tight, just kinda sitting there. I tightened them down by hand, then noticed the other switch in that box (garbage disposal) was the same way.

Turns out the garbage disposal is on a different breaker from the lights, despite the switch being in the same box. :supaburn:

The shock felt mild, just a bit tingly, but afterward I noticed both hands were tingly. Right is the one that made contact. Not sure what left was doing, or if it was touching anything (I'm normally pretty careful about that sort of thing, but I guess my attention lapsed). So either the tingling in my left hand was just adrenaline, or I might have maybe come a wee bit close to dying. :shrug:

I have written a note to myself and any future owners on the inside of the door covering the breaker box.

Edit: lol, it still flickers if I poke one of the sockets in the light fixture

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 24, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

For clarification, it's not uncommon at all for multiple circuits to be found in one box. That wasn't a freak accident, so store that experience for later use :)

Haha, yeah, I'm not really that surprised, it was just a moment of thoughtlessness. Forget testing tools (which I already own) I could have just flipped the switch to make sure the circuit was dead. :downs:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DreadLlama posted:

I like how he knew to double up the studs to support the window but right next to it there's just a notched out 2x4 under the absent ridge beam.

There's the four white boards that are obviously sawed off, but then there's the stud above the window, partially covered by insulation. Is it just me or is that cut off too?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elder Postsman posted:

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arrath posted:

The cooking I'll give you, but do you stand and stare at your washing machine the whole time? No harm putting it in the garage.

I've spotted a flaw in your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm often confused by how high american's energy costs are related to heating/cooling their homes. I just assumed only american in more tropical areas had AC, but apparently the number is 87% ?!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/22/europe-to-america-your-love-of-air-conditioning-is-stupid/

I know the hotels here say their #1 complain from american tourists is the lack of AC.

It's been in the mid 80's F in my apartment the last few days. On days like that I do wish I had a little window AC unit or just better ventilation (it stays hot in the apartment well into the night after the outdoor air has cooled down). But it's mind blowing to me anyways that people who own whole huge stand-alone 2000+ sq. ft. houses "need" to run their AC all summer long. The financial and energy costs are just massive.

But like in the case of my building, if we just had a better way to get the nice cool night air into the building before bed time it would be fine. Get it down to 77F or so so it's easier to sleep, just need to blow around air not do any energy intensive chilling. During the day you just wander around your apartment in shorts and an undershirt and drink something cool, or why are you even in your apartment during the day? You should be at work, and if not, at the beach or somewhere cool.

It's not a matter of "need" it's about want. I'm not a pauper; I can afford to cool my home to a temperature comfortable to me, so I'm going to do it. If you set my thermostat above 72F at night time I will hurt you.

Also, FYI: the average number of days in July that get above 80 in the DC area is 29.