Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm in Wisconsin and it's common in the few homes I've been in around here, but not sure if it's code or not. But yeah, the Bosch I had put in last week did note that a high loop or an air gap was fine in the owner's manual.

Move to WI a year ago and the dishwasher in my rental has an air gap and a light switch. First I saw both and was confused!

EDIT:

canyoneer posted:

Actually, strike that, the worst is being unable to flush toilet paper.

WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

And every disposal is a shitter

I don't have a disposal at my rental. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is a good code official who is helping them keep their job moving.

You are throwing me back 20 years where I rented an apartment in college that was being built the summer before and they kept getting stopped whenever a minor mistake was found and I ended up spending a couple of months in a hotel room (paid by the rental company) until it finally was passed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This is what I see.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, the previous tenants were complaining the plugs fell out right? Fill it with paint and make it tight.

Heh, this reminded me of my last place. Plug in the coax cable for my modem, getting no internet. Call the internet company, guy takes off the wall plate and there is absolutely nothing plugged in the other side. There were no wires in the wall. Just a wall plate. He had to run a wire from the post into the house and to the wall plate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just do what my dad would do and put the spare screws in whatever empty container you had laying around, mixed with whatever else you threw in there.

I thought I had found them all and half organized everything until I found yet another container with random screws in the basement last month after he passed away. Ah, the memories.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

the first two levels of a parking structure at a mall near Milwaukee just collapsed, they're searching for survivors.

edit: only two floors

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/parking-structure-partially-collapses-at-bayshore-mall-tmj4-crews-confirm

Haven't been to this mall, yet. I should head over there after work and check it out!

(hope everyone is okay)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Danhenge posted:

A couple of my upstairs windows are walled over because they turned room space into closets. The shutters are just closed over the windows, honestly no idea what kind of shape they're in.

Aw, they could have left them and you'd have an escape when someone locks you in the closet!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Was looking at a house that I can't afford and this stove stuck out to me.

Having a hot appliance in the middle of a room where people walk around it and there is no range hood above it.

That doesn't seem good to me. Is this okay?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Those look like crappy 3D renders to me.

They downloaded as webp files for me and imgur didn't like it so I told Google Photos to "dynamic" the image as that would save it as a jpg. I was being lazy! And I just noticed that it's "dynamic" and next to the "enhance" I assumed I was pressing.

Here's the place:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2955-S-Mabbett-Ave-Milwaukee-WI-53207/40492627_zpid/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not expert at all in this, but I remember hearing long ago that buildings in NYC are limited in their height, but they can "sell" the height they don't reach to other buildings. So one really tall building limits the height of many other buildings.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Yeah the developers of 432 Park did that.

The Skyscraper Museum has an exhibit on this with a webpage that sort of poorly explains it.

It sucked off the “air rights” from the buildings on the right to maximize its gains.

I like this exhibit. Really shows off how it works.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This article sums it up nicely: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/05/super-tall-super-skinny-super-expensive-the-pencil-towers-of-new-yorks-super-rich

In addition to the mechanical floors adding 'extra' height, some have super high lobbies (60' ceiling height) to add some extra height that doesn't count legally.

And thus article sucked my attention for quite a while at work!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hold up. I absolutely did not read that article. Do not put in the papers that I did.

Dear The Guardian, DR FRASIER KRANG read your article!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

My brain wants to insist that's a mirror behind the tub.

I see that everything is different on either side, but I still see it being a reflection.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was cleaning up my Flickr account and was reminded of this house I rode my motorcycle past 13 years ago.

Don't remember exactly where it was, like 30 miles south of Peoria, IL.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Holy poo poo, much thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There's a lot of this stuff. Just weird minor things where you think "how did you live with X for 8 years?"

My cousin just bought the house they were renting for like a decade and for the first time ever they are going around checking windows and insulation to get their heating bills down. When it was a rental, it was what it was. But now that it's theirs!

(The landlord they bought it from lived next door and was awesome about maintenance and the inspection didn't find anything wrong with the place.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

quote:

Today, these curb cuts are everywhere

And these days used as parking places for electric scooters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

And these days used as parking places for electric scooters.

Also, down the street from me, there's an electric scooter parking spot on the street. Right in front of the fire hydrant.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Some people watch poo poo on TV...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

lol, it's obvious now that you say that. You can even see the wall piece under the mount.

lol, I missed that. My brain saw it as some sort of sealant.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Y'all are making me think about my last rental. The garage and house were separate buildings, but there was a patio between the two and extended back against the side of the garage. The part of the patio between the house and the garage was enclosed so that from the outside, it looked like a single building (roof and siding just continuing unbroken, but I saw they weren't actually attached when I got up there to clean the gutters).

The door from the garage into this area didn't exist, just an open walkway. There was a "proper" exterior door out to the driveway with door lock and deadbolt. There was a double door out to the back yard, glass windows top to bottom, held shut by a cheap slide latch (and temperature changes causing it to jam shut half the year). The door into the house was another exterior door with proper locks, but also had glass windows top to bottom. Looked nice, but I figured if anyone got up to it, they were completely hidden inside of this patio with full access to my garage, so it would be a couple of seconds to smash the glass and get it. Frankly, I never locked that door unless I was gone for a few days.

It was nice getting to my car in the winter, like a sauna in the summer, and the patio floor just allowed it to fill with spiders and bugs, especially in the spring. Was like a nice cave protected from the elements for them!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In apartments, I've always patched over small holes (hanging pictures), never bothered to paint. Figured they'd be painting after I move out, anyway.

Always got my deposit back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Orvin posted:

Are you telling me you wouldn’t sit on the high throne to rule over your subjects?

"You! Down there! I demand that you bring me... Toilet Paper!"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

brugroffil posted:

That house doesn't look connected to the outside in any way, just a standard but very uniquely decorated ranch home.

I can't see the exterior at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Imagine walking through one of these ~art~ houses late at night trying to go take a poo poo or something, it would be horrifying

So it would help you poop?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Absolutely not. While it's true they'd be stronger if tied together, any individual post should be able to support an adult running into it without falling down.

Pro-tip, don't show off how safe your structures are.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/window-strength-death/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Oh that's ... great. I suspect those are Clas Ohlson's cheapest stick-on cable channels, but the fun angles are hard to explain.

Based on my experience of using those at my rental, those have come unstuck from the wall and fell down. They're being held up by the cables, not the other way around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

a bunch of those popped up here during covid to allow restaurants to operate while having reduced risks of transmission. they all substituted street parking, though, not driving lanes.

There's still a bunch by me. Ate at one once. It was nice except for all the cars flooring it from the intersection through a residential area just to sound "cool".

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don’t think this is necessarily crappy construction but the one panel of this house drives me loving nuts every time I pass the house. It’s like the “one of these things is not like the other” game.

I love the color, I love the brick. I just hate that the one goes vertically.

I noticed this place on my drive home a couple of weeks ago and am so confused (sorry, the best street view I could get).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

How did your dads not beat you to death for putting eyebolts and poo poo around your room presumably into the walls and everything???? I once put a thumbtack into the drywall and my dad still reminds me of my embarrassing mistake.

When my cousin bought her house in the mid-90's, we spent like two days picking all of the BBs out of the walls and ceiling of one of the bedrooms, assuming the previous owner's kid shot it up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/under-construction-bridge-collapse-bihar-nitish-kumar-tejashwi-yadav-8646693/

quote:

The 3.16-km bridge being built since 2014 collapsed twice in 14 months

Huh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jenkl posted:

You know in European Starfleet it slides up, due to an unfortunate incident in 2214, where...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2ebIFh-a8

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I love my screen door. Open up all the back windows, open the front door, get an amazing cross breeze going once outside is cooler than inside. That's living!

When I was visiting my aunt in Poland, she refused to open more than one window in the entire two story house. I open a second window to get a breeze? She'd close the first one.

I don't remember if she has A/C. I don't think so.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's weird that the hot water turns into cold water at the ceiling and then turns back into hot water at the ground.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a lovely CFL bulb in my bedside table lamp that I'm going to be sad when it dies. It takes a long time to get up to full brightness, which turns out to be great when you turn it on in the middle of the night and don't get instantly blinded! Going on like 15 years at this point...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really liked the ceiling fans at my old rental. If you flipped the switch off and on, the light would come on regardless if you turned it off by pulling the cord. So, if I left the fan on with the light off during the day, night came and it was too dark to see anything, just flip flip, light is on! No wandering around looking for a dangling cord in the dark.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Never seen another one do that! At my current place, switch puts power to the fixture, but the fan and lights are in the state they were when I flipped the switch off.

My mom's, the switch only controls the light, the fan is only controlled by the cable. That may have been my dad loving around with the wiring, though.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

You have to, for good luck.

Dear toilet, I hope you flush this poo poo I laid into you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

I goofed up in an extended stay one time because I cooked bacon at midnight and accidentally set off the alarms because the microwave light didn't also turn on the fan

Luckily my friend covered the smoke alarm with a pillow as I explained to the front desk that I didn't need to make any more bacon

I woke up one time to an apartment filled with smoke, my college roommate passed out, and a pizza burning in the oven. Tossed it into the parking lot, opened the windows, went back to sleep.

No fire alarm went off.

It was a brand new construction, we were the first people to live there.

The week we moved in, the people upstairs turned on the whirlpool tub and flooded the place, so I'm assuming that shorted out the fire alarm system. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Got a home inspection done. This one made the inspector laugh.

He did also say he appreciated it because it was super convenient to plug in his radon detector.

There was band equipment in that area when I first looked at the place, so I think it was for amps to be plugged in.