Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheJoker138 posted:

The only way I see it being Ultimate Peter coming back is if this was something they were planning before the change in case the book started to tank sales wise they would have an out. Has it been tanking sales wise?

Not really, seems to be about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would think its a red herring, because I don't believe Marvel would miss the opportunity to draw out the mystery.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pretty certain the entire point of killing Spectacular and launching Ultimate was so it could be in the same shared universe as Wolverine And the X-Men and Avengers.

The entire point of killing spectacular was it was in a horrible legal limbo. There was no chance Spectacular would survive. Also I think they have several characters appearing in Avengers and USM, but they are different ages, so no crossover.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

It is completely aimed at kids in tone and style.

They are cartoons, they are all aimed at kids.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but, so are comic books...

You sure? I was under the impression that the demographics had firmly shifted on comic books. I mean it would make the whole kids line redundant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm just glad they're running full steam with "we hosed poo poo up real bad for the US and here's the ramifications of it".

Texas doing its own thing owns. They did that poo poo in Jericho too.

Yeah it is interesting especially since none of these events were connected making it look like each book was just doing its own thing. Though I am sick of seeing stories like this having Texas ending up going independent, its always loving Texas. Do something different guys.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So did Peter died right there as his entire chest has been punched out?

Nope turned out he had spider-elasticity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dacap posted:

The time jump idea is interesting, wonder what that's going be about.

I am going to guess so that the "SM no more" thing will actually happen in a significant time frame. Instead of of it being undone relatively quickly like it was originally.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sion posted:

Well- the fact that we don't see pictures of President Hulk or some poo poo implies that the whole Disassembled thing doesn't have any lasting impact. :(

Did that happen? I mean does that mean at a certain point all the major SH's will be president?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

Eventually they will.

Jeph Loen hasn't written an Ultimate Comic title in 2 years.

Ultimate Captain America was the logical conclusion for the character. The writer who did it just executed it poorly

I think Fialkolv decided that all of America's nukes hitting the City should have consequences.

The mind gem was the product of Odin tricking some giant or something.

This is Ultimate Kang's first ever appearance.

All of them? I thought that city was just the size of a European country? That is overkill by a bit I think.

Edit: Also I think it was Eastern Europe, which means writers loving hate the EE.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

No it wasn't.

And with regards to X-Men, Spencer was setting up a 50+ run that was cut short at 12 issues because it was "moving too slow", a complaint partially informed by the hate-boner that some people have for Spencer.

I think its because Spencer does move at a snails pace. I like his other work but that is a fair criticism of him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Ending the Ultimate Universe and dumping Miles into 616 would be the worst thing to do for the character. He'd no longer a legacy hero and just another kid in a suit before being shuffled into Cancelled Young Heroes Team Book #15163

It would be but if they really are set on just ending the UU (which admittedly, we don't know) it does seem like the only choice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So your position is their is demand, it just doesn't rest with the fans. Okay.

Also its their fault they didn't support a mediocre line just because.

Edit: Like you know those canceled series that were mentioned also didn't include digital and TBP sales.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

Work on your reading comprehension, chief

I don't understand this. Your post wasn't exactly heavily encoded here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

The problem with the "replace the UU with a new line" train of thought is :Why wouldn't Marvel end up mishandling it like it mishandled the UU? The same people still work at Marvel. Loeb still works at Marvel.

I guess because then they can shed the weight of the bad continuity like they did when the launched the UU. The problem of course is that eventually the new universe will have those issues, but whatever. Though it could be that Ulitmatium and the poo poo that followed damaged the line to much, so you could theoretically create a new universe that might not have the same issues.

The more likely possibility is that demand isn't high enough so they will just scuttle it and focus on the main U.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

They don't but that's never stopped Marvel from pushing it to USAtoday/whomever will give them attention. Mainstream media don't give a poo poo about Angela (well nobody cares about Angela) but that didn't stop the end of Age of Ultron being spoiled months in advance to build hype.

Angela was suppose to be a big secret though, I don't think this is if they are going to reveal it in the solicits.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't really see what his issue here is. People report stuff? People speculate? Yeah, duh. I mean is there something in particular that set him off?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only problem I have is that the companies are completely ready to promote the next thing in explicit detail months ahead of the current thing -that is set to reveal the next thing in storyline- is out, so nothing is ever a surprise if you follow comics news.

Yeah, Bendis seems to be blaming the wrong group here. Marvel (and DC as well) are the main reasons these kind of things happen in the detail they do. They want us to do this, you can't be mad when we do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I didn't find him rude at all, just frustrated.

You can be both? Though really it sounded more like a childish temper tantrum than anything else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sion posted:

Agree. Like, Bendis has been getting poked at for a long time with this. This wasn't him going off at one guy, this was the straw that made the camel call someone out on their poo poo. We've been told time and again that this universe isn't going anywhere but apparently everyone drops their poo poo at the first indication that something might change.

Because comic book writers lie, a lot. for completely understandable reasons, but lets not pretend them putting their footdown actually means something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

What was the initial need for the Ultimate Universe? Hasn't the Now initiative sort of served the simplifying, new reader friendly thing again?

If Now accomplished it's goals and now Ultimate is now the thing more steeped in continuity and non inclusive, it might not serve a purpose for them.

Not really, Marvel now can't really (well it can but they don't want to) expunge any continuity, which is really what simplifying it meant. The problem is creating a new universe that is going to run any amount of time and it will ultimately become exactly what it was created to avoid. It was really a concept doomed to failure in the long term.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now didn't get rid of continuity, but every new story seems designed to not make you worry about it at all.

Yeah that is ultimately possible with any story and really (besides marketing) its not really something unique to the Now! Line. Hell even books in the Now line will refer to past issues runs because it would be a waste not to. The ulimate Universe was an attempt to make sure stuff like that didn't happen. And in part, ways to retell stories or revert characters (I believe they call it modernizing) that wouldn't really work in the Main U.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

The UU outgrew it's original purpose in 2009. Since then it's taken on a new form as the universe that can "do what the 616 can't."

Which is good, because you can't retell old stories forever. That's not sustainable.

To be honest it doesn't even do that very well. At this point, it just seems to kind of exist. Its more of a walking corpse than anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

How much of the UU have you actually read?

The only bit I haven't read is the new volume of Ultimate Spiderman. I will read it, but after Peters death I was a little turned off towards the idea of starting over.

Edit: Of course I only caught up to the Ulimates and X-men recently. I stopped following the UU for a bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

The strange thing is that people seem so excited at the idea. All bringing Miles to the 616 does is strip him of his supporting cast and set him up to die to prove what ever villain gets revamped or resurrected next is a threat. "Now I'll do the same to the REAL Spider-Man!" yadda yadda yadda.

Yeah, and ultimate Clone Spiderman would probably share the same fate. Considering Miles is a relatively popular, while she is a background character at best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Everyone tends to remember The Death of Spider-Man really fondly these days but I recall that a lot of, if not most, people weren't that happy with it when it first came out. The whole set up was incredibly flimsy. First Norman Osborn is suddenly alive again and somehow he's in SHIELD custody as soon as he wakes up. Scans show he has no powers left but naturally it's just SHIELD being incompetent and he still does and then we get what must be the 74th Triskelion breakout in the last year alone. We never get an explanation for any of this.

It's obvious that Osborn is brought back simply because he's supposed to be Spidey's greatest enemy and the "how" part of bringing him back was just an afterthought. But what's even dumber about all this is that in the end you could say that The Punisher ends up being more responsible for Peter's death than anyone because Peter dies of exertion after being shot, not because of any direct damage on Osborn's part. The whole arc felt rushed and not particularly thought through.

Yeah Death of Spider-man was a really lovely story with a bunch of contrivances.

My favorite is Peter declaring he was happy he died protecting Aunt May even though she wasn't actually in the much danger at all. Hell the only real reason she was in any danger was his dumb rear end running into trouble.

Such a dumb, dumb story.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 10, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senjuro posted:

I could at least understand why Bendis did it if he really wanted to do something truly different with Spider-Man afterwards but Miles ended up being almost exactly the same character as Peter just less of a nerd so I'm really wondering what was the point of it all. Just one big publicly stunt?

The ultimates line had been really struggling and I believe even USM had seen some downturn in sales so probably.

I mean its really obvious when you consider how rushed DOSM is. Though its possible Bendis just wanted to do something different and just ran into the problem Bendis sometimes has, where his characters tend to sound alike.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

As was usual, Bendis' DOSM was just fine. It was the poo poo tie ins with Ultimates/Ultimate Avengers/whatever that were weird. USM told a completely different story compared to Ultimate Avengers. In UA, Spider-Man gets shot by the Punisher and he gets separated from them during the battle and no one gives a gently caress at all and they don't even bother looking for him. In USM, Peter gets shot and they treat him on the field but Peter hauls his rear end back home to defend his Aunt. And then the Ultimate Avengers stuff tied in for like 3 or 4 more issues and had completely nothing to do with DOSM

Huh, I never read the tie in, it didn't seem that important. You get most of what you need in USM.

Though its still a pretty lovely story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

I disagree with this and the claim that it's a rushed mess. I think DoSM is one of the better comic deaths in that it actually feels tragic and unnecessary. It happens relatively quickly and with very little buildup, since it's the outcome of two entirely separate events unfortunately happening one right after the other. If either event hadn't happened, either getting shot by Punisher or the Osborn and the others coming for him, he'd have likely survived.
Eh that only works if you want the realism angle, which is not something superhero stories really work in. Doesn't mean they are allowed to do whatever dumb poo poo they want, but realism isn't exactly that useful.

Though anyway its really rushed just by having characters just do things to advance the story, not because there wasn't any build-up.

DFu4ever posted:

Yes, I'm certain this is what happened. :rolleyes:
I didn't say it was likely but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 10, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

But the things the characters did to advance the story made sense based on the story (well, stories if you count the Ultimates stuff going on that got Parker shot) up until that point. I'm not sure how it could be rushed, really. Rushed in comparison to what?

Well I fundamentally disagree, nothing they do makes a lick of sense.

Plus just resurrecting Norman was dumb, especially since his last death was actually a fairly nice end to his character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

Can you clarify? Literally every character that plays a part in DoSM that I can think of has good reason to be doing what they are doing at the time.
I have,(some of them at least) you seem to disagree so it doesn't seem like it will go anywhere.

DFu4ever posted:

EDIT: Resurrecting Osborn was extremely tame from a comic storytelling perspective.

I don't really care, it was dumb and enough to ruin the story by itself.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 10, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Possibly because they didn't actually read Miles' stories.

Yes its a nefarious scheme you have cracked the code good job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I hadn't read the issue before I read you guys' comments, so I expected this ridiculous conspiracy theory rant...but it was just a teacher asking a question. My HS history class teacher did the same sort of topical thing whenever an anniversary came by. Nothing weird there.

He was just asking questions?????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I doubt the universe is ending but it won't be because "unresolved plotlines!:ohdear:".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I genuinely want a Miles film. Racist tears are just a bonus. #donaldglover4spiderman :(

I don't think that is gonna happen.

Because main characters who are minorities alienate ~white people~ according to Hollywood.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I understand that. But on the other hand, Peter wasn't taken seriously as a hero until late in his career. So how many more "you're just a kid, go home" stories do we really need?

I think there is a middle ground between the two.

You could put in other banter (which is usually pretty good!) or just leave them silent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

Miles, on the other hand, is immediately on SHIELD's radar because of what happened with Parker. He also has Spider-Woman supporting him, in addition to a growing circle of super-powered friends he may be able to rely on in the future. He's headed down a much different path than Parker was on.
Peter had that too, it just came and went as the story required it.

I mean he literally lived with two superheros for about 20 or so issues.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, roughly 130 issues into the run. We're only 30 into this book.

Shield was introduced and played a large part in either the first or second Green goblin arc.

The X-men showed up really early as well and he dated one of them about half-way in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Medium Cool posted:

I don't want to come across as overly negative, I really do want to like it because I like Bendis as a writer a lot. Miles just seems so much like Peter and if we're going to kill Peter I'd rather the guy taking up his mask feel more like a distinct character. You're right though, I need to read more before I pass my final judgment.

You best drop it he basically is the same.

I mean its still really well written but if that is a dealbreaker then you might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

So, anyone see this?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/29/ultimate-comics-spider-man-is-done/

I hope Bendis is just being goofy and overly literal here.

If he is being overly literal than the rest of the quote makes no sense.

He could be loving around though.

• Locked thread