Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aces High posted:

Not that this matters a ton since Pete's dead :(
It actually matters a lot because they are still good stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aces High posted:

Why I said it doesn't matter is because that now that Pete's dead there won't be any more stories about the guy I grew up loving to read about, although I'm sure Myles will do just peachy in Pete's shoes
I was going to comment on how there's lots of books that at least include Peter if not outright starring him, but then I realized that you just might be young enough that you grew up on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

whatsabattle posted:

Rand McNally is still OK though right?
Other than a few hats falling off their feet, yeah, they're okay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

616 Cap was only frozen for like, what, 10 or 20 years? This Cap was frozen for 60. He hasn't adjusted, not even a little.
No, 616 Cap was frozen for about 50 years. Initially it was about 20, but Marvel Time has moved it forward since the FF have only been around for something like 12 years now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

We all do, really.
I don't. I look more like Kong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm sure that's exactly what it is, and I'm also sure he's done stuff like that before, I just can't remember any specific examples of it right now.
The most recent issue of New Avengers, for one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

What? Spider-Man has been going since August, and has had an issue out every month?
This just seems slow compared to Bagley putting out an issue every three weeks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddamnit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Last time they did this was the introduction to the zombies. Also Bendis was one who did say that their would be no crossovers.
"No Carnage story"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I can:

Um.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Jimmy Olsen was an odd exception.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Also shut up d00gz! You're ruining our fun!
Now you know how it feels!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Assuming age differences are the same, a 616 Miles would be in his early to mid 20s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You don't need to spoiler that anymore.

And I have a feeling that we're a ways off from seeing what Peter saw unless there's a Spider-Men 2 in the works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Revol posted:

It matters to those of us who want to know what the deal is with 616 Miles Morales.

Superior Spider-Man coming from Marvel NOW! written by Dan Slott!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sion posted:

What why is Defenders not going to see issue 13 it rules!

Well, Matt Fractions series is done as of issue 12, so that isn't exactly a surprise. There's new Fearless Defenders starting as part of Marvel Now which is even less likely to last since it features an all-female team and is being written by Cullen Bunn, who is something of an unknown quantity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thet0wer posted:

They explicitly state that it's (Ultimate) Nick Fury in his 616 Nick Fury disguise (which was first used in Ultimate Doomsday)

WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS BROTHER

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LCQC posted:

Replacing Falcon with Joe Biden would totally improve Utimates.

Also, the real world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Falcon's real???

He should be. :colbert:

(Actually, I was backward on what he said so ignore my previous post.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

So does Sam Loeb sacrifice himself for Peter/MJ? Does Peter marry Sam Loeb? Is Sam Loeb the devil in this story?

What? Of course not. Sam Loeb is an angel of the purest kind to right a wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

You need to read Powers. It is the other series that he can do no wrong, along with Daredevil.

Monkey sex

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krakagar posted:

Do you mean Ultimatum? Because that was fairly well explained.

What's Ultimatum? Nothing called that was published.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

1) You shouldn't make plans for a 50+ issue run without making sure you can tell a coherent satisfying story in the 6-12 issues you're actually promised.

You'd think that people would have learned that lesson after the late 1990s rash of Vertigo/Wildstorm/c-list Marvel/DC books that came out and took five issues establishing the main character and then couldn't understand why they were getting canned after ten issues because IF YOU JUST STICK WITH IT UNTIL YEAR THREE OH MAN THAT THIRD ISSUE WILL BE SO GOOD.

You'd think Nick Spencer would realize that given that he's a shameless Lost homage-r, and surely he watched one of the dozen shows that got greenlit post-Lost and then aired six episodes because they were so busy constructing a WORLD MYTHOLOGY that they forgot to give anyone a hook in the first three episodes.

But people like Morning Glories against all odds, and so Nick Spencer has learned nothing.

And the 'hate boner' seemed to extend to the Buying Public:

code:
22	Ultimate Comics X-Men	1	$3.99	Marvel	62,080
46	Ultimate Comics X-Men	2	$3.99	Marvel	44,399
54	Ultimate Comics X-Men	3	$3.99	Marvel	39,657
52	Ultimate Comics X-Men	4	$3.99	Marvel	37,115
56	Ultimate Comics X-Men	5	$3.99	Marvel	35,153
57	Ultimate Comics X-Men	6	$3.99	Marvel	33,975
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	7	$3.99	Marvel	32,353
66	Ultimate Comics X-Men	8	$3.99	Marvel	30,822
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	9	$3.99	Marvel	30,080
69	Ultimate Comics X-Men	10	$3.99	Marvel	29,743
90	Ultimate Comics X-Men	11	$3.99	Marvel	28,711
89	Ultimate Comics X-Men	12	$3.99	Marvel	28,839

Looks like he was finding his level at the end, there. Whether 29000ish is good enough for him to keep writing is questionable, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goldenoreos posted:

That or a prime candidate for Avengers Arena Season 2
That's Cancelled Young Heroes Team Book #15163.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Couldn't they just let Ultimate Spidey be the only Ultimate book, and occasionally do Ultimate miniseries here or there to show what else is happening in the UU?
They could, and probably should. Last I checked, it was pretty consistently outselling UXM and Ultimates. I'd be very surprised if there was a significant number reading one or both of those and NOT reading USM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thet0wer posted:

Except there's still a demand for Ultimate on-goings.
Not really. Here's the May numbers:

61 27.57 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #23 $3.99 MAR 35,581

Not bad. Puts it on level with Wonder Woman, Red Hood, and Teen Titans, three of the original New 52 books. It's a safe level, if nothing else.

109 16.61 ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #24 $3.99 MAR 21,429
118 15.75 ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN #26 $3.99 MAR 20,330

Not so good. In between 109 and 118 are such books as X-Factor (canceled, albeit as much for David's health problems as sales), Fearless Avengers (rumored for the chopping block already), and a point issue of Iron Man. At 120 and 121 is two issues Gambit, the higher one selling 19,106, which is canceled.

I mean is there demand? Sure, in the absolute sense, there's still people buying them, but they're at the point where Marvel is likely taking a close look at the chopping block, and are likely below the point where only the largest stores are even ordering rack copies of them, making recovery pretty dismal short of a huge superstar creative team or crossover picking things up.

(To put this all in perspective, the top book was X-Men #1, featuring an all-female team, which is pretty fantastic, though I sadly have little hope that it'll hold there.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, there's just way less constraints on what he can do with Miles and the Ultimate U as a whole.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thet0wer posted:

But these numbers don't include digital sales. They only count specialty store sales.

Plus there are the hardcover and softcover collections.
There's been absolutely nothing to suggest that digital sales are but a fraction of the print sales for the Big Two (indie titles are likely a bit different). DC's Diane Nelson is on record saying that there are a million downloads of their comics per month, which is roughly half of what they sell in print. What she doesn't say is how many of those are new versus sales, back catalog, sales, and even free stuff. It's probably fair to assume Marvel's books sell similarly digitally. But, none of that matters. If digital sales are proportionally equal across the full range of books (and, admittedly, this might not be a good assumption since it is far easier to find a copy of a high-selling book in a store since stores will actually buy rack copies, meanwhile a low-selling book is almost certainly only being sold to preorders), a low-selling book is still a low-selling book, and it just means the cancelation line is maybe 50% above where we think it. It still brings us back to the same concern: if there's a legitimate demand for Ultimate Comics, it's not translating to the number of sales.

As for collections, there's been very few cases where sales of collections were enough to buoy an otherwise low-selling book. The Ultimate line *might* have a greater proportion of trade-waiters than the 616 line since the Ultimate stuff is largely self-contained (that is, it doesn't "matter"), but even still, I doubt they're really all that much higher. Conveniently, Diamond gives us sales numbers for collections [urlhttp://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25929.html]as well![/url] Top selling book in May pushed 9,540 copies. The first time and Ultimate book shows up is at #74 selling 1,546 copies. Granted, this doesn't include bookstore sales, but I'd be amazed if Amazon's sales are significantly different than the market as a whole.

Of course, none of this matters. Following these statements you went on some rant about fans not wanting to buy Ultimate comics, which contradicts your statement that there's a demand for Ultimate comics. I do hope it sticks around, but I don't really have high hopes. Especially if they're siccing Galactus on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

I need to read more ultimate comics spider-man. This is a treat.

You should read it all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We will find out soon as the solicitations for the final issue come out today, so sometime soon they will tell us the future plans.
Here is the solicitation, I bet:

"SOLICITATION WITHHELD UNTIL RELEASE OF CATACLYSM #WHATEVER"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Unless I'm missing the sarcasm, there are four earth lanterns: Jordan, Rayner, Outside of John and Baz they're white. Only John and Baz aren't caucasian.
Way to forget Alan and Jade, racist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Peter had that too, it just came and went as the story required it.

I mean he literally lived with two superheros for about 20 or so issues.
I always wish Bendis had done more with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

Rudy Charles, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. would be a helluva thing.

Man, you've gotta be a hardcore wrestling nerd to know the names of TNA refs that aren't Earl Hebner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special was more of a capstone for Ultimate Teamup and that entire series is a clusterfuck of poo poo worth reading and stuff not.
The Fantastic Four issue illustrated by Jim Mahfood was wonderful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

The fact that he has crushes on girls and keeps commenting on which girl he thinks is hot I would say no.
Because no child struggling with his or her sexuality has overcompensated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

But nothing has shown him struggling? The thinking he's gay seems like fan wishing rather than anything that's actually been shown in the books. And I think just throwing in a surprise he's gay out of nowhere later would be pretty dumb. Him being Miles' Foggy is probably the best example.

And since the book is out Peter very clearly isn't back and it's just a fake out by the Chameleon.
I don't disagree with you in the least. There's been no indications that Ganke is gay. My point was mostly that showing interest towards the opposite sex doesn't really preclude it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Miles is getting folded into 616 after Crisis on A Few Thousand Remaining Earths.

• Locked thread