Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

het posted:

This rules

If you like this, you might like Kiuas. More Kiuas

Efilnikufesin posted:

As an aside though Alestorm was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Can we execute every pirate metal band by firing squad? (Or hanging, I'm not sure which the navies used more to kill them.)

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

Fjoergyn is a band that does both. Also check out Der Herbst Ist Da

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=672388&GT1=28103

I guess something had to be worse than Lou Reed Meets Metallica.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
My favorite Blind Guardian song is actually a cover of To France by Mike Oldfield

Fake edit: gently caress the Leave's Eyes version.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Turk February posted:

Five Finger Death Punch is the only correct answer.

Except that he wants good music.

edit: vvvv That's possible, but it's a chance I'm not willing to take. :colbert:

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 19, 2011

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

We also have a Metalcore/Deathcore/Whatever-core on Something Awful.

Good, let's keep that poo poo there then.

How can you talk about folk metal without mentioning Skyclad, the founders of the genre?

edit: vvv My bad, didn't see it. Also, how are we classifying so called "Oriental" metal bands? Such as Orphaned Land, Rudra and the Tang Dynasty? Do they go in the umbrella genre they play under?

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 22, 2011

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
edit. Uhp internet is super slow today. To make up for my being an rear end in a top hat, here's one of my favorite oriental black metal songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlcPLK42Rw4

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 22, 2011

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

New clip from Metallica released based off a new project that doesn't involve Lou this time.

Speaking of Metallica: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45095297/ns/today-entertainment/#.Tq3VyHJki2s

"" posted:

"Metallica fans trash stage after band cancels show" "Rockers had to call off concert due to 'failure of a security barricade"

Failure of a security barricade? Pussies.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Dear Korn,

Please stop.

Love,
Gorilla Radio.

Also, if loving Staind can throw together a guitar solo, there's no reason for any actual-metal band to not have them.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/headbang-blog.aspx?feat=100db566-01e7-4dfd-9a46-4a744a92c4eb

Black Sabbath are getting back together with all the original members. New studio album? World tour? gently caress yes. I'm so excited to see them live.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Ingram posted:

Anyone here been listening to the new Megadeth album? I've avoided them in the past because I can't stand Dave's voice but this album is kinda growing on me. Has good riffs and the lyrics aren't half bad.

If only Metallica were still going strong like this.

Everyone always talks about how Metallica is fading, how Dave Mustaine is annoying, and how Kerry King of Slayer is fat or whatever. How is Anthrax? I was thinking about checking out their discography, and don't really remember any discussion about them.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cm8C1TpPkUQ

Good to see that Falconer is getting their name out. Maybe we'll finally get a US tour.

Also, how many marketing execs went "Who?", but are now listening to Falconer on the drive to work?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Packard Goose posted:

If anyone can suggest more bands to check out based on the handful I have I'd probably hug you IRL.

I don't know if I missed the recommendation fest, but I have the flu and am ranging between slightly and very feverish. However if it's not too late, I'd like to recommend Haggard for anyone who likes Epica, Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes or other symphonic metal.

These guys are based out of Germany and combine metal instrumentals and death growls with classical male and female vocals and instruments. My favorite song is probably Chapter 1: Tales of Ithira It's not as metal as the other song, but the bridge beginning at 5 min is really good, but the part at 5:52 is spine tingling.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

And producers/managers/who-the-gently caress-ever writing an artist's/band's songs are not unheard of, even in metal. I knew the Drummer from Flotsam And Jetsam around the same time, he said their manager had been writing most of their material for a few years at that point....

For me, this is only ok if the outsider was once a member of the band, such as in the cases of Finntroll or Immortal. Otherwise, the band should man up and write its own music, at least the music it records.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Oh god, does this mean that we're going to get a crappy pop-punk cover of Welcome To The Jungle? Or even worse, a crappy GNR pop-punk tribute album?

Also, this is the Metal Thread. The only reference to GNR should be if someone says "Slash is an ok guitarist, I guess."

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Just found this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469297

Which is ok, but has led me to the :nws:GREATEST BLACK METAL VIDEO EVER!!!.:nws:

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2012

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Houseplant posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for something in the same vein as Myrath, Orphaned Land or Arkan? Been on a middle-eastern-influenced kick lately and I'm always on the hunt. I've also given Al-Namrood some spins and even thrown Rotting Christ in there for some of the chanting.

Scarab, Death Metal with some middle eastern influences

Melechesh Black Metal w/middle so on
More Melechesh

Nervecell Death Metal

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Bent Willy posted:

Swear to God, I meant Burzum. I was thinking Burzum and writing Bathory. Bathory, Burzum, they both start with B, god drat it thats what I meant I was tired I'm sorry I'M SORRY :suicide:

So THAT'S what happened to Dead...

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

My girlfriend informed me that linkin Park released a new music video which is "interactive" (it isn't) by accessing your facebook account and using your pictures. (http://lostintheecho.com/)

At the end, you can submit a message, inspired by what you saw, for all to see.
I submitted this:

Why are you talking about Linkin Park in the metal thread?

Seriously, though, who are you interviewing in Eluveitie? If it's Chrigel, ask how the group was put together, as well as where they learned Gaulish? I'm curious as to how the metal people found the "random folk instrument" people.

Finally, how researched is the Serb girl? I find it suspicious that her profile and video play up the war when it took place in Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia, and her part of Serbia wasn't affected at all (I don't count refugees as "affected", especially when the video is showing bombed out cities, which didn't happen in Vojvodina).

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Eluveitie Interview:Merlin (drummer). I wanted to interview the singer... but the reply was, literally "here's Merlin's number".

The girl:
a. She's the friend of one of our staff members, who is also Serbian. I can get you the proper documents, whether you want to help or not, just to make sure it's clear that it isn't a scam.
b. The war footage was used, as far as I know, for illustrative purposes, giving a context to life in the Ex-Yu (it's no more than 5-10 seconds of that while video I think). The point was to show that living in Serbia, as in any ex-Yu republic, was terrible due to the constant violence in the region (anywhere between 10k and 20k Serbians died in the Civil war, where their families had to serve; and Later, in the NATO bombings of the early 2000's they lived, quite literally, in the bombed regions).

Thanks for the questions though; if anybody else had any doubts it's good that this is clarified.

Ask Merlin what it was like playing with Tyr in 2008 and whether he had to learn the songs and how easy is it for a drummer to pick up and play with another band?

As for the Serb, good to know she's legit. My family came from Serbia, so I can say for a fact that Serbia was not itself fought in or attacked during the 1989-1995 wars. And knowing my people, I really wouldn't be surprised to see war footage used in a scam (this is a joke). But since you know someone who knows her personally, I'll try to throw in some money.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 11, 2012

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Speaking of shows has anyone seen or is anyone going to see the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show? I'm going to see the show at the Palladium in Worcester this weekend. I'm just wondering how its gonna be.

I saw them in Denver. It was the first folk metal show I saw that didn't include Alestorm, so it was the best folk metal concert I've ever seen by 5000000%.

I'm a bit biased since I've liked all the bands involved since I first got into metal. I still kick myself for not being in country for the first Paganfest back in 2007.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

TeamJesus posted:

The new Wintersun has finally leaked.

Wait, how can it leak when the internet isn't big enough to contain it?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

henpod posted:

Listening to it now...it is indeed quite complicated, with a lot of stuff going on. This one won't be easy to digest.

Try listening to it while reading Hawking's A Brief History Of Time and see if it links up like The Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon.

Also, I've been working my way through the Slayer discography. I don't get all the hate for them, as they're my favorite of the Big 4 of Thrash so far. Maybe it's cause I like harder, more death-metal-y type stuff.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

henpod posted:

So we have troll metal, goblin metal, pirate metal, viking metal and fart metal. But, have you heard plant metal? :black101:

Wait, what the gently caress is fart metal? I'm not sure if I really want to know. Also, for the guy looking for death/doom, try a search of "Epic Doom". I recently found Solitude Aeternus that way, and they're pretty great.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
I was at a Steve Vai concert and he saw someone wearing a Devin Townsend t-shirt and called it out in an approving way. If one of the greatest guitarists in the world knows and likes it, it can't be that bad, right?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Olibu posted:

Same goes for ICS Vortex. That was a pretty bad post.

Anyone who says ICS Vortex sucks hasn't heard the newest Borknagar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYl77IGMwo

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
I'm looking for some melodic/symphonic doom/death along the lines of the newest Swallow the Sun and Forest Stream. Themes of nature will be especially appreciated. Thanks goons!

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Kissin' Dynamite is opening the show and, in this case, I really can't believe these people are serious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP1QzucFRh8

And here I was thinking Glam was dead.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I already listen to Barren Earth, Borknagar and Moonsorrow, but I'll be looking for the others at my local music store.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

het posted:

My recollection is that this dude is only on a couple tracks but this track by Lumsk off of Troll immediately sprung to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHUqMiFfqU

Their album after this just struck me as being prog rock if memory serves, I'm not sure if they made any metal after this really

I love Lumsk, and am really sad that they haven't put out anything since Det Vilde Kor.

As for deep voices, one of the other bands in this year's Paganfest is one of my personal favorites: Heidevolk

Edit: We saw Metsatöll live when they came through and the really deep voice is their folk-instrumentalist, Varulven.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

edrith posted:

Týr lost their drummer, which is kind of a pain given they're supposed to have an album out in 2ish weeks.

Týr's Facebook posted:

More details to follow on who we got to fill in for Kári in studio. I think most of you are in for a big surprise.

My guess is Kai Hahto, since he's in everything now. Or maybe that kid who covered when Kári was injured.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Edit for content: Open to suggestions for bands like Vintersorg. Really been digging their last 2 albums lately.

Myrkgrav is essentially a Norwegian Vintersorg.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
So is Mare of My Night Heri's admission of/apology for his rumored affair?

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 16, 2013

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Anyone seeing Finntroll, Blackguard and Metsatoll in Denver on Saturday? I usually go to concerts with my brother but he can't make it, so I'd like to meet up with other people if possible.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Battlelore is on hiatus and won't be touring any time soon. Do you mean Battlesoul or Battlecross?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Is anyone going to the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch concert in Denver on Tuesday? I usually go to concerts with my brother, but he has school the next day so I'm flying solo and would like to meet up with someone if possible.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
Jag Panzer is touring Europe! No word on whether they are officially back together or not, but their facebook and website are active! I hope they do a US tour!

Call To Arms

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
I just bought my ticket for Paganfest 2014! I know Varg are considered to be poo poo, but how are Chthonic live? I've seen Turisas and Korpiklaani.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

edrith posted:

(Winterhymn loving suck).

Really? I found them on Spotify and didn't think they were terrible. At least it's not Alestorm again.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Fenrir posted:

The Black Waltz was a particularly great album. Speaking of Kalmah, should I check out their newer poo poo? I haven't checked them out in quite a while.

Here's the title track from Seventh Swamphony. Judge for yourself. I like it, but I like folk/symphonic metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

kirkjames posted:

Good Black Metal Saturday

I can't help but feel that it should be Good Black Metal Sunday because blasphemy. Also what day is Good Doom/Death?