Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Sgt. Slobber posted:

I just got into metal about a year ago, and my favorite bands are Metallica, Anthrax, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, a7x, Ozzy, Buckethead, and Dethklok (just because it's funny). What else might I like / got any good recommendations for me?

Try Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Pantera, Fear Factory. You might like some of that.

e: Why do metal music videos always suck? I admittedly don't watch many of them because unnecessary shaky-cam drives me nuts. Can you guys recommend any cool videos? Some cheesiness is okay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0 -like this kind of cheesiness is good, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfdcepWlQM -this kind of cheesiness is good too but not at all what I'm looking for.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I was really disappointed with Epoch. I love the Malediction Fields and had my hopes up but it seems they ditched most of the atmosphere for unnecessary proggy poo poo and that's not my thing.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?

I like Once Sent... and Avenger the best. The rest all sound the same (moreso) to me.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Hahaha, yeah, I remember that shirt. Hilarious. I haven't had metal shirts in a long time and it kind of saddens me when I instinctively nod at someone who's wearing one and they don't know why I'm doing it.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anthrax sucks.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

TheForgotton posted:

Submitted for your approval: Virgin Steele - Perfect Mansions.

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

Haha this is great. You can see cars whizzing along behind them (7:16 is a good example).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

bronin posted:

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
I also don't really see the pantera thing...
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.

I think if I was in junior high/high school like five years later than I was I probably would have been really into Slipknot and Lamb of God. I don't really like Slipknot but Lamb of God isn't bad, just kind of boring. Like some of the riffs are good and sometimes everything sounds alright but it always seems derivative and kind of lifeless. Like if someone has it on in a car, I'm glad it's not Disturbed or something.

As far as not getting the Pantera comparisons, I don't know what to say. The vocals are very similar, I don't know how you can not hear it. The riffs sound to me like a mix of Slayer and Pantera. That said, I haven't heard much of them. It just doesn't have that spark of creativity or originality. No that I hear, anyway.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I confess that I really like the first Dragonforce album. :negative:

Hahaha, I feel the same way. I got it as a gift from a my brother's Japanese girlfriend a long time ago and was like, "lol Japan" but it is so cheesy and infectious that I really enjoy it for exercise or long car rides. I even bought the second album, which sounds kind of similar but has none of the cheesy purity of the first one.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hmm, I don't really like it. Meshuggah's so weird -- I either love their stuff or don't like it at all. Destroy, Erase, Improve is loving fantastic, Chaosphere has some great stuff, Catch-33 is terrible, Obzen was okay but didn't stand out (except for Bleed). I wonder what the rest of the album will sound like.

e: After listening to it again, I kind of like it.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 10, 2012

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Captain Cancer posted:

I really loving love 'Murder' by Katatonia, but not really the rest of their songs from what I've heard. Anything else like Murder I should seek out (by any band)? The music at the beginning/end of the track is just magnificent.

EDIT: Seems the answer was "Agalloch"

You will probably enjoy the rest of that album, Brave Murder Day. The one before that is great too, Dance Of December Souls. The rest of Katatonia sucks imo. This is a little off, but the way the chords grind together in 'Murder' reminds me a little of early In Flames -- you might want to check out The Jester Race by them if you haven't already. Keep in mind, it's a kind of a stretch to recommend that but there you have it.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Guns N' Roses is streaming their show from Chicago's House of Blues free tonight:

http://www.gunsnroses.com/ppvpaid

Man, he really blew his voice out. It's like Dani Filth post-1998.

E: Well, he's pulling some good scream/singing here and there. It's nice to see. :unsmith:

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 20, 2012

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

Counterpoint: Obituary.

Counterpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqY5gr6Y4ho

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Rion.exe posted:

No, I don't really get what you mean. You only consider it black metal if it's sounds just like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and/or is about Satan, occult forces, forests and snow?

Would you also argue that 'there is nothing of black metal' in the more recent Darkthrone releases, because it's not pure unholy black metal? Kvelertak? Barathrum? Primordial?

Is black metal your favourite genre and so perhaps you place it on a pedestal, not wanting to to see it corrupted with lesser influences?

Just in case it comes off like it - I'm genuinely not attacking you at all, I just don't get this mentality and want to understand. We're all brothers and sisters in :black101: here.

I think he was saying the exact opposite.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

This is probably right. My problem is that Nemesis was the first thing I heard from them and everything else pales in comparison. They're probably good I just started at the top so I'm biased.

You ever check out Dark Medieval Times? The production is poo poo, but it's great black metal.

Shadowthrone was okay.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Let's take a moment and remember when Borknagar was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koa70caC6H4

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Speewah posted:

Where is the best place to start with Dark Throne?

Transylvanian Hunger imo

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

comes along bort posted:

The problem in particular with Sneap is quadtracking guitars and pushing them up front, which creates this wall of noise which drowns out normal drum tracks forcing him to use samples, and actually makes it sound less heavy since everything's so midrange-focused. The heaviest recorded guitar tones come from having audible bass underneath, with the drums further up in the mix.

Yeah the drums sounded kind of lovely. I wish it was like old Carcass, which felt like it was about to fall apart at any moment. Pretty good song though :)

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Optimum Gulps posted:

And one of the best melodic black metal albums of all time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_q_F9ubwE

Holy poo poo! Thanks a lot for posting this -- I have no idea how long it's been since I last thought of these guys. I used to wear the longsleeve for fucks sake.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Monkeytime posted:

The (monstly) final lineup and venue information for MDF XII was just announced.

ULVER (Norway)

Is Ulver playing metal again?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

He asked for bands like Sonata Arctica, not good power metal bands :colbert:

By the way I decided to compile a death metal sampler recently. What do you guys think? Would you change any of the albums?

Seems cool, I haven't heard a lot of these actually. When describing brutal/slam though, what do you mean by "rhythmic open-palm guitar slaps"?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Skjorte posted:

I haven't paid much attention to Amon Amarth for the past decade, but I saw them a couple of weeks ago and had a good time. For whatever reason, my mental image of them has always been of a stern, serious band of war-mongering vikings, but the vocalist was all smiles, and there was far more crowd interaction than I'd expected. I mainly went to see Carcass (whose new album is totally deserving of being near the top of all the metal top 10 lists. :colbert:), though.

Yeah, the new Carcass is really good. It feels really fresh, even it's not very innovative. How were they live?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Dear Metal Goons: I finally got off my rear end and starting going to the gym, working a starting strength routine. I need a good playlist for gym time, and I would like some input. So far I'm going with Amon Amarth, Motorhead, Skeletonwitch, Neurosis and The Ocean but obviously I'll need more.

Personally I think that Neurosis and The Ocean are not great choices because they change poo poo up a lot and can get droney for a while. What works best for me is stuff with a really focused groove and a lot of aggression so I can stay focused and bro out (Amon Amarth is good for that). Stuff like Carcass's new album (Surgical Steel), Fear Factory's Demanufacture, pretty much anything by Bolt Thrower, or Cryptopsy's None So Vile if you want to get totally insane. How familiar with metal are you? Some of the classics always work well, like 80's-era Slayer or Metallica.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

and pre-Roots Sepultura

Haha, I was thinking about recommending Roots. I've always thought it was a good album and it has an insanity about it. I still like Pantera though so I automatically fail any metal test.

But do get Sepultura for working out, I was listening to Beneath the Remains today for the first time in years and it's loving amazing

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bal-Sagoth deserves a mention for cheese as well.

They certainly do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udHcixCltyo

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

caiman posted:

If I like Decapitated, Blotted Science, Aborted, and Necrophagist, what else do you guys recommend?

Try Destroy the Opposition by Dying Fetus.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Nattens Madrigal is probably the worst (MOST TRVE KVLT) recording I've ever heard, which sucks because the music is awesome. If you can't deal with it definitely check out Bergtatt. I've been trying to accept Nattens Madrigal as it is for so many years now but it's there's too much loving static.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Here's the funniest way to experience Bal-Sagoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56Nnqnmdf8

Well, they're a lot less fat than I expected

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

but King of Asgard

Check out Mithotyn if you haven't yet, it was a much better version of catchy viking poo poo imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtOeX5tDlN0

e: Good death metal friday? Have some Decapitated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1H1EnyovAE

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Can't remember a drat thing Dimmu did that was worth listening to without him though.

You need to listen to Stormblast. But not the remastered one. Never that one.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Fenrir posted:

What's with the remastered one anyway? Did they shove in an orchestra like they seem to do with everything else nowadays? I could imagine that being particularly bad with Stormblast.

I guess remaster isn't accurate. They re-played the album with their modern sound, which got rid of everything that made the original special. And they had Hellhammer play drums, which is a bit interesting in parts but also adds robotic blast-beats and poo poo like that. I don't remember if they did anything with the orchestra sound, it came out a while ago and I've never wanted to listed to it again.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Did you happen to see this guy? He was all over the place:

We used to say these types of guys were Dirt Metallers

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

If you think Mastodon sucks, like a lot of people do, then you may think that the people that like them must have some kind of developmental disability that prevents them from seeing how boring the music is.

I did the use the word seeing there, but in the way that means knowing or understanding -- hope that didn't confuse you. "Seeing" is my favorite way of getting across that particular concept, but I acknowledge that it is not peerless. You can ask me why else something would be my favorite but hopefully you'll just leave.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Sorry, I didn't realize the "why" question was totally separate from this:

Street Soldier posted:

That's what anyone would think about their favourite band, why else would they be your favourite?

I was just making fun of how you came out of nowhere and started criticizing people after someone playfully poked fun at a poster who thought that Mastodon and Baroness are the pinnacle of music. Your attitude of asking "why" makes it seem like you just want to argue with people without contributing anything.

My contribution is trying to get you to leave, or maybe lurk for a while. We all know that people have different opinions, there's no need to prove that here.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gaggins posted:

Your attitude of asking "why" makes it seem like you just want to argue with people without contributing anything.

Street Soldier posted:

Yet your whole contribution is "Mastodon are boring."

didn't see that coming

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?QOb6JSQd-Qw

e: this used to be my favorite, hasn't aged well but I still like it:

e2: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

A3th3r posted:

comedy gold.

Here is the heaviest thing I've found in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohqFF6EEHwA
Machine Head - Descend into the Shades of the night.

It's sort of like an evolution of Killswitch Engage or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluzTj88tWU
"imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles. The shadows I cast follow me down"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6iUtJQoDgw
"My Curse" heavenly. this is like an anvil.

anyone else here got love for Killswitch?

Hey, it's the guy who trolled the hip-hop thread. Hope you have better luck here

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

How can Show No Mercy be so good and the rest of Slayers albums be so decidedly meh?

A mystery for the ages.

Because you are forever stuck in the early 80s, old man.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I always liked Roots. I mean Soulfly took it too far but Roots is dope.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I've always tried to like Iron Maiden but I think must be the only metal fan who can't stand the sound of Bruce Dickinson's voice? It's just so shrill and irritating that I can barely listen through one of their albums.

Same. I don't like Dio or Judas Priest or any of that stuff either for the same reason. King Diamond is pretty sweet though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Funeral Mist posted:

Cradle is great. With their old stuff with Nick Barker/Adrian Erlandson on drums being their best material. I heard one of their new tracks from their newest record though and it sounded like Dani Filth's voice is completely shot now.

It was shot after Cruelty and the Beast imo. I haven't liked any of their stuff since half the band left after that album but it sounds like this one is worth giving a listen.