Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Trip report: Metallica owns. gently caress the haters.

Metallica has probably some of the most memorable songs ever. I don't enjoy them live that much but they still have those songs where everyone can sing them and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Insomnium's new album is great kinda reminds of Ghost Bath but with better vocals.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

Just like In Flames, Opeth died in the early 2000's, and just like In Flames, one man continues to ride the good name of the band into the ground.

I haven't listened to Opeth in a while but the new In Flames is atrocious even the video is awful and cringeworthy. Sucks because In Flames first album and EP are some of my favorite pieces of music.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Lunar strain is just your generic death metal record and if In Flames had kept doing that we would be saying "In flames", oh that is a band I have never heard of.

What started me on In Flames was the incorporation of Swedish folk music into death metal, which made the whole thing become more melodic.
And yeah, Reroute to Remain is poo poo since it threw out a lot of the things that made In flames great in Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony.
Clayman is their best album and it is also the record where we start seeing the transition into what they are today.
They still make some good songs, but their creative highpoint was passed long ago.

I mean I liked their other albums other the first few but those are the most memorable for me. Maybe it was because one of the first death metal bands I listened to. But I really remember listening to Lunar Strain and Jester Race on repeat for like a month straight. Of their recent albums only thing I've remember listening more than once is Come Clarity.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for non American / European bands? Pretty much any type of metal. I realized yesterday that the closest thing I have ever listened to were a couple Russian bands, and that doesn't count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85c-P9hbmBg

Alcest is a black metal from France but a lot of their songs tend to be light and have shoegaze(blackgaze) elements. They definitely have their more heavier songs but this one gives you a good idea of their type of music. A lot of atmospheric and ethereal feel to their sound.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Moundgarden posted:

last time I checked France is still in Europe

Ya my bad I misread that I thought he meant non english bands so that would qualify because it is in french but didn't read correctly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone saying good things about this new Meshuggah. Really excited to listen it, Koloss was freaking amazing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Its sucks when you find out about a band and then find out they are disbanded. Just started listening to Agalloch and man they have such great songs. Atmospheric like lots of post metal bands but all the while being super heavy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

^ A Scream to Express the Hate of a Race, obviously.

Even better!

They have yet to release anything but ya I am excited.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Peste Noir makes really good music

Yes also I do speak French and most of their lyrics in La Chaise Dyable their last album doesn't have anything Nazi related. There is definitely lots of nationalistic vibe in their songs. I do think their first few demos like back in 2001 were about the Aryan Race and straight up Nazi/facist. The last album is pretty much about the old way of living in France which was the country life and how in modern France like most of those small villages are empty. A bunch of their songs are taken from old war songs in medieval France. So ya some of the lyrics talk about the enemy or defending France but it isn't really offensive imo. Other than that they are pretty unique band who does a lot of experimenting.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

skasion posted:

He definitely uses a racial slur on "J’avais Rêvé du Nord" and in general has pretty dark attitude to race and to modern society as a whole. He's not overtly a Nazi unlike plenty of black metal types but definitely has a right-punk, purposefully controversial politics in his music, which ties into the edgy "so underground" attitude he cultivates. I can see why he would offend people, I dare say that's what he wants, but I agree they are a much more musically interesting act than the vast majority of black metal today, regardless of whether people find them morally objectionable.

Ya that song definitely has a few racist tones to it, I was mainly talking about La Chaise Dyable not being that edgy. There is a few offensive lines about Asian-French but they did have an French Asian bass player for a while not sure if he still is in the lineup or does live sessions or what. Nobody is talking about Peste saying he masturbates while listening to farm animals so its all good. You don't even have to understand French but some songs of PN are just straight up comedy.

COOL CORN posted:

But Alcest is good, so I don't see your argument

Alcest is pretty good in my books but I can see how some Black Metal/Metal fans don't like them because they been treading lightly on the metal part for awhile now. Their new album is pretty good and more "metal" than shelter.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Alcest coming to North America

I always get hyped for these North America tours but then its only always like 2-3 cities in Canada and rest is all in US. I might try to goto the Montreal show.

Also Metallica is garbage. Each time I hear a new Metallica or In Flames track is out I die a little bit inside.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, our guy here in Winnipeg doesn't bring in stuff when things travel through either to MN (Visas I understand suck to get...) or skip us for Saskatchewan. He has an announcement today though.

E: It was Sabaton and guests. Eh.

Ya I wish more bands did concerts in the prairie area but its always the same three cities when it comes to Canada(Toronto, Montreal,Vancouver).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

henpod posted:

New Anaal Nathrakh album is loving savage. Really good stuff. Sure, they tend to have a little bit more melody there in the choruses but goddamn are those vocals frightening. You can still feel the seething vitriol blasting away.

Someone already linked it on another page, but here you go again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8StjT_xiE

I love Anaal.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I liked the Kodama album a lot probably Ecailles De La Lune is still my favorite Alcest Album. This album is definitely more "metal" than Shelter which was more experimental/shoegazey. Oiseau De Proie is a favorite of mine from Kodama and also Notre Sang is a pretty neat instrumental ending track.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I still think Les Voyages might be their best album but I feel like Kodama was a return to that idea, while Shelter was a totally different thing. Don't get me wrong, I love Shelter, it's just a very different record than the 3 that surround it. It was almost pure shoegaze, whereas Ecailles, Voyages and Kodama all have a much more metal base. If you're more into their metal aspects I can certainly see why Ecailles would be your favorite of their albums. It's easily the most metal thing they did, and it's a great loving record.

Ya Les Voyages is good too but Neige's growling so good that's why Ecailles is my favorite.

CampingCarl posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations. Most of what I listen to now is Iron Maiden, Rammstein, with bits of Dio, Megadeth, Metallica, and Black Sabbath. I prefer clean vocals and dislike growling. Skimming the thread Blind Guardian seems like a good start.

I would suggest trying some Thrash bands maybe Megadeth honestly the closest thing to the old metallica sound.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also say what you will about Alcest, Neige has the best hair in the game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost is so good nice to hear they are as good live. Even though their style is changed a bit in their EP.

Has anyone listened to the new In Flames?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

symbolic posted:

The pre-released tracks, yes, unfortunately.

Ya I was wondering if the album is any different. Apparently its more of the new In Flames but better than their last album.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TheSteelCurtain posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised with the new Metallica album.

Way better than Death Magnetic. Spit Out The Bone is loving good.

I actually liked Death Magnetic more than Reload, St Anger so that sounds good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Moundgarden posted:

I'd compare it to Come Clarity. It's the best thing they've released in years, but that bar is not very high so

I guess they just like Opeth won't ever go back to their old sound. I'll get the album anyway since I am a big In Flames fan and The End was an alright single.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I know a lot of people say In Flames best albums are whoracle, Jester race and colony but man Clayman is drat good. I been listening to it again lately because their new album wasn't that good. The first three tracks in Clayman, Bulletride, Pinball Map and Only for the Weak is probably one of the best starts to an album.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

A lot of people are wrong.
Clayman is their best record by far and is the transition point between melodic death metal and whatever they are now.
Whoracle, Jester Race and Colony are good, but they are also kinda indistinguishable from one another. I have issues pinpointing which song belong to which of them, which is something I don't have with Clayman.
Same goes for their latter albums.

Ya I totally agree with those three albums sounding very samey. They were a lot heavier but pretty much followed the same pattern except a few songs. Also I don't own any of the earlier albums and the versions I've heard online sound badly produced. Maybe those songs were uploaded with low bitrate or maybe not official versions I don't know the cause.

Varg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObTDvMUMgr4 this song was being used in a bunch of computer game player edits back in the day and got me into In Flames, when they were good enough to make an instrumental track

Decent listen, never heard this one on the original album.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dirt posted:

They are basically Summoning but less cool.

It's about those Malazan books instead of LOTR.

I liked their one album though, it's cool they are making new stuff.

I liked that Gallowbraid ep way more though. The dude from Gallowbraid(one man band) is in Caladan Brood.

I actually like Malazan books alot but the album was just alright imo. Summoning is probably the better version of the same thing. I believe they will improve with their 2nd album though so still hyped.

Btw did anyone mention Oathbreaker's latest album Rheia? Its freakin great. Its got the screaming sound a lot of DSBM bands have but musically they are alot varied instead of the depressive tone most DSBM has. Its like Post rock + DSBM. It's like explosions in the sky + coldworld.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got around to listening to Battles the new In Flames album. Its definitely not as good as the melodic death metal inflames but this sound is very easy to listen to. I don't even know if its metal but its still a good listen. I think if people just go expecting metal they might be disappointed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Faffel posted:

I'd take this over Agalloch, frankly. I loved Agalloch as a teenager but now that I'm 27 I just dunno. Still glad I got to see them live the other year.

I don't know what your trying to say but Agalloch's sound was definitely not for teenagers or any specific age group. Some of the songs have cheesy lyrics straight out of a generic fantasy novel from the 90s but the sound of Agalloch is pretty drat good and memorable.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Faffel posted:

That's all I'm trying to say, really. I wouldn't want more Agalloch because the lyrical content makes it really difficult to tolerate now.

Fair enough I don't really care about lyrics as much in the metal genre as I would in other genres but everyone has their own preferences.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Souvenirs d'un autre monde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDZP83Voqo

Écailles de lune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-kW-rxzJ_0

His old band Amesoeurs was pretty good too... but this isn't him singing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-ArGDTOlo

Amesoeurs has some songs with him singing and those tend to be their heaviest songs. Normally its a female vocalist who is also in some of Peste Noire tracks.

Ecailles de Lune is my favorite Alcest album and its probably their most "metal" album as well. Their latest album Kodama is actually a good listen too the best tracks are free on youtube if you want to check it out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dirt posted:

Dave is a douche but Megadeth owns

I think this sums up Megadeth pretty well. Most thrash fans loved Megadeth but a lot of people don't like Dave.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good new metal albums this year so far? I haven't really followed anything since the start of the year.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Good recommendations thanks I'll check them out. Didn't know Pallbearer had a new album this year. Hyped for that. Hopefully its as epic as foundations of burden.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cure for Optimism posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around Pallbearer. What is it that so many people seem to like about them? I've seen them live twice, incidentally to other bands they opened for, and both times they were the most excruciatingly boring metal performance I've ever experienced.

Maybe you just don't like doom metal or that style of doom metal which is really slow and epic. The songs are almost always kinda too long but thats true for most modern doom metal songs. Black Sabbath is one who had much faster songs but they weren't doom because the sub genre didn't even exist back then.

Also there is a reason its called "stoner" metal and being in that state it definitely makes the experience even better imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the new GhostBath any good? I loved the last two especially Funeral which was freaking special to say the least. I know their screams/growls aren't for everyone and sometimes they feel a bit too much but they do add to the mood in some of songs.

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7zwXf5gZuM

It's the original band of the guy from Spectral Lore, so it has a definitely similar feel but more power-metally/death influences

Gonna check it out but I don't know how I feel about Spectral Lore doing power metal. If I remember correctly its a one man band and Spectral Lore was purely instrumental unless it changed in the latest albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been listening to Mastodon Emperor of sands at the gym lately. Pretty good album. Not as good as some fans were saying it was.

More of a fan of the sludge/doom type of older Mastodon than their newer more progressive sound. Well atleast they evolved pretty well unlike most bands.