Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not gonna lie. All this new stuff sounds exactly like the band that made Death Magnetic and Hardwired... to Self-Destruct to me.

you could have told me 72 seasons was a deep cut off of either of those albums and i'd have believed you

the only song off the new metallica album i like is the non-existent version of lux aeterna they plays at 1.25x speed - that song has good riffs, it's just too slow. the rest have been that sort of milquetoast mix of hard rock and thrash with the edges sanded off that's indicative of the last 15 years of metallica and i find 95% of it to be uninspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

0 rows returned posted:

the only death album i never really liked was spiritual healing, its ok but the other albums are way, way better

this is the death album i never feel the pull to go back to other than thinking "man i never listen to spiritual healing"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

been working out at home again recently and a decent portion of my workout playlist is just hellripper bangers

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

on the eve of a new metallica album i'm going to post good metallica content

i've been working on learning disposable heroes on guitar and listened through the demo tapes tonight - their initial take on the song has the solo riff from damage inc in it and it's loving sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxn3cEv0rbA

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think every double album i've heard has at least a single album's worth of chaff on it

i don't like dethklok or babymetal all that much but i think it's cool they exist and will get people into metal

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am spinning up the new metallica instead of renting heat which is what i want to be doing with the next hour of my life at the moment

symbolic posted:

actually the greatest thrash album of all time is either Rust in Peace or By Inheritance

rust is top tier but dawn patrol is a slog to fill out 2 minutes which puts it below ride the lightning imo. solid second though.

i need to listen to more artillery.

H13 posted:

AJFA has Blackened and Dyer's Eve.

That concludes my Ted Talk. Thank you all for coming.

these are the two highlight songs but ajfa has poo poo like the title track and frayed ends of sanity which drag out way too long

remigious posted:

Speaking of musical appearances in Netflix shows, did anyone else get into kreator thanks to Dark?

i had no idea they played kreator on a netflix show but i'm probably going to spin up some old kreator this weekend now. mille petrozza is so good.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

Escape is a slog to fill out 4 minutes and also get on MTV. pwnd.

the first three Artillery albums are a trifecta with By Inheritance being the crown jewel, absolutely insane tech thrash chops

escape is better than dawn patrol and leper messiah and my thoughts on this are part of the reason i think ride is the best thrash album ever

escape is also better than any of the tripe i've heard on 72 seasons so far christ

sounds like it's an artillery and kreator weekend for me

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

at the very least we can agree Lightning > Puppets :hai:

also if u get a chance u should spin the third-greatest tech thrash album of all time as well, Forbidden's Twisted into Form

i blasted a shitload of forbidden evil back in the day but i didn't listen to much of their followups

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've been listening through all the debuts I like year by year and am toward the end of the 80s right now so I'm having a bit of a thrash overdose.

you'll hit scream bloody gore soon

symbolic posted:

Forbidden Evil is pretty good but they kick it up a notch with Twisted into Form, imo

i could talk about tech thrash all day tbh lol that's pretty much my fallback genre when it comes to discovering new albums, that and tech death

always liked tech death more than tech thrash - death/cynic/atheist/etc were world-class songwriters. think cynic's focus is one of the best metal albums ever made.

think the last tech death album that grabbed me was cult of lilith - mara.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

well i listened to 72 seasons

i fully expected the entire album to be uninspired, lifeless thrash with the edges sanded off like the singles and i'd just make a shitpost and move on/talk about good music. metallica still had a decent thrash song in them seven years ago (the title track to hardwired is great) but i got 11 tracks into this one and i don't think they have it in them anymore. the attempts at energy are uninspired and they just sound old, in a way i feel like they didn't on death magnetic or hardwired.

then they swerved on me and inamorata is like, their 90s rock output viewed through the lens of stoner metal. the lyrics are dumb and repetitive but it's the most inspired and enjoyable songwriting on the album - the riffs are more interesting than the thrashier bits and it builds in a satisfying way that, if not as good as their classics, manages to evoke them. i kind of wish metallica had leaned into that inspiration rather than phoning in an attempt to recapture their youth. give me load mixed with sleep - it probably wouldn't be good but it would at least be interesting, which is a lot more than can be said for metallica's output the past two decades.

i'm going to go listen to good music now.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 14, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should check out the Anachronism album from earlier this year.

this is great, thanks for the shout. always looking to hear this kind of dissonance done well and they did something cool by leaning a bit more into melody than i'd normally expect - gives some catharsis while listening.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

gently caress yes this is how you do chainsaw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

got around to the new necropanther and thought it wss very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Aujey92rE

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Rageaholic posted:

This is about BT the electronic musician and not Bolt Thrower, right?

i kind of liked flaming june but he's no bolt thrower

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is the best wintersun has been since their self-titled

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nazzadan posted:

Oh I forgot that it was that Wintersun sounding band, nice I'll hit that next

i thought atavistia's earlier material was fun in how shameless it was and perfectly competent, but didn't have much sticking power past that

cosmic warfare seems like it's actually really good and a step up in terms of their songwriting chops. pretty sure i'll like this more than whatever comes next from jari maenpaa, and i definitely like it more than forest seasons on first blush. i'm excited to give it multiple spins.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Spanish Manlove posted:

Giving this a listen today and it's like if the entire band only ever listened to wintersun and early dimmu borgir then crawled out of a basement from 2003

i ended up relistening to some wintersun stuff and thinking "yeah atavistia kind of leans on black metal-esque tremolo picking a lot more than jari" so early dimmu is a good shout

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nazzadan posted:

Friday so time for new poo poo

Lunar Chamber, progressive dm

this is a monster loving debut, holy poo poo. taking a lot of influence from cynic - fretless bass, synth work, prog feel - and some gorguts-esque dissonance and song structure with some doom metal to make it even weirder. one of those spins that starts out more straightforward then takes you on a fuckin journey.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

silvergoose posted:

you weren't kidding, this is good poo poo

title/final track rules

the final track, where they lean a little more into the doom/synth/chanting, is definitely the highlight of the ep, but i've also got to point out that the lead guitar work across the entire record is some of the craziest shred i've heard in a while.

i hope they end up putting out a full album

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Oh, these guys!

can't listen fully rn but i spun a bit of the first two songs and this seems like my vibe of death metal

also dying at this story who would start a metal band and assume the name defiled hasn't already been taken 20000 times

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nazzadan posted:

Unearth on non-bc, melodeath/melodic mxc

i am not ashamed to admit this owns. this is exactly what i'd want from a new unearth album as someone who was blasting a ton of this kind of metalcore in 2006. makes me feel 16 again.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Spanish Manlove posted:

and then there's also still a bunch of HM2core that may or may not be your thing

well i know what i'm listening to this morning

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

what about rust makes you say that it's barely thrash metal

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

BurningBeard posted:

I would switch out for arise over Beneath, personally. Got drat I love that record.

the opening riff to arise is one of the best guitar riffs ever

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

that is such a deeply strange way to rate albums

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kvlt! posted:

all of you are wrong the best thrash is chance era skeletonwitch

source: revealed to me in a dream

i do not agree but unlike some of the others this is a thrash hot take i can get behind

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Spanish Manlove posted:

lorna shore feels like zoomer anaal nathrakh

this is selling me on listening to lorna shore

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

speaking of swings in deathcore: have you heard dragoncorpse, who are combining deathcore and power metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_xY1kz5WI

i don't know if i actually like this - think it has kind of an oil and water problem where the genre mix isn't really coherent - but it's definitely trying to do something

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i congratulate them on reinventing symphonic death metal

yeah but it's worse cause it has all the deathcore songwriting tropes in it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

So the new Sacred Outcry album is now available, and it's some real goddamn good poo poo even aside from Daniel Heiman still sounding like a golden loving god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77sho-yjfU

this is good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

horrendous loving rules

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

CornHolio posted:

Crossposting from the cassettes thread

I'm a sucker for poo poo like this and I purchased four limited-edition Morbid Angel cassettes.

I also just picked up Formulas on vinyl yesterday. I know it's heresy but I think it's my favorite Morbid Angel album. So happy.

covenant being top right rather than blessed is more wrong than liking formulas

pandora loved giving me songs off of gateways to annihilation in the mid-2000s so that's my favorite mid-period morbid angel album by default. i haven't listened to them in forever for some reason though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I ordered a Terrorizer shirt from them last year and it took them like four months to get to me.

this is similar to my experience ordering poo poo from earache

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Count Thrashula posted:

edit-- oh god drat it I'm browsing Morbid Angel's discography and just realized all their album releases are named in alphabetical order.

this is like phoenix down for death metal

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

wordplay people realize years after the fact

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tac Dibar posted:

This was really short, sweet and fun! I'm a sucker for people moshing to a really slow tempo.

"Grosse Bagarre" by Face Yourself

i was so disappointed that their ep wasn't just a deathcore band saying gently caress it and recording like ten songs that are just breakdowns like this song

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

What wordplay

i think if you put out a bunch of albums in alphabetic order and people realize it years after the fact it's similar to people realizing phoenix down means both feathers and revival years after the fact but i'll admit it's a bit of a stretch

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

See, I know this, and I don't get what the wordplay is supposed to be. Phoenix Down, i.e. a little feather from a mythical bird known to revive after death. Always seemed straightforward enough.

it's more that people don't realize it until years later

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is loving stupid let's post some metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKk5xbqrAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwit-CS7Sk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

joylessdivision posted:

Wait didn't they break up? Or did the band and vocalist split and one of them kept the name?

looks like it's everyone but the drummer for reunion shows at a festival per metal injection