Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bruce Boxliker posted:

New Gorguts song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

I think it's pretty good.

I like it a lot. Looking forward to a new album, it's been forever since the last one...Like 2002?

The last half of Forgotten Arrows is amazing.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You guys are missing the important topic with all this Amon Amarth talk: There is a new Gorguts album coming out very soon.

Get your poo poo together, people.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Free Weedlord posted:

I like working out to Mastodon, High on Fire and Down I Go. I'd like something similarly boggy in sound, but just instrumental since the lyrics can be a little distracting. Any suggestions? :)

Pelican is the first thing that came to mind for me.

All instrumental, pretty solid.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Heard the new Gorguts album, Colored Sands today.

Album of the year for me :worship:

The current song that they released from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI
It was posted a few pages back, but It's good enough to post again.

I pre-ordered one of their fancy colored vinyls. They look so cool:

Dirt fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2013

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Friends Are Evil posted:

The new Gorguts loving owns. That guitar (bass?) tone at the beginning of An Ocean of Wisdom slays. It really seems like they have a much deeper low end than they've ever had before.

Glad to see Gorguts back in action.

The production on the album is amazingly good, the low end is seriously ridiculous without muddying up everything else. It's impressive. Luc's vocals are on point too, maybe the best they have ever sounded.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Sort of off topic, but do any of you people use Last.FM? I've been using it lately to find new bands. Seems pretty cool. I feel like it has dropped out of popularity though, as seriously nobody I know in real life is using it, and it seems like the SA group there has been dead for a long rear end time.
But it's still a solid resource for finding new bands to listen to. My only real exposure to new metal bands or bands I haven't heard of is this thread, the black metal thread, and last.fm.

Anything else I should be using?

Dirt fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 2, 2013

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

Last.fm helped me find bands like Timeghoul, Aspid and Coroner, so it's not that bad. I'd say it's not as useful for recs as rateyourmusic's lists and rec function, but definitely a worthwhile site.
What's your last.fm? I'd be glad to talk with fellow metal fans.

This is my profile.

Always looking for more friends to creep on their library for new bands.

PS other metal goons, feel free to add me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is gonna sound stupid, but if you have an iPhone iTunes Radio is actually not that bad at certain genres of metal, I was pleasantly surprised. You have to set the station to "Discovery" instead of "Hits". Still though, even the "Hits" can be stuff like Agalloch and Alcest which is probably below the radar of people who don't post about metal on the internet.

Sometimes they give you a complete mismatch but you can skip songs so it's not that bad. As you start telling it what you like and dislike it'll start to learn what you want to hear next.

That's pretty cool, but sadly I have an android phone :(

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for folk metal like Agalloch?

Old(like first two albums) Opeth sorta has that same kind of vibe.

Also seconding Gallowbriad, that EP is fantastic. Full length album coming out in the near future.

Also Caladan Brood is another project by the Gallowbraid guy that is pretty cool. A little nerdier than Agalloch, but you might like it.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 6, 2013

Dirt
May 26, 2003

edrith posted:

GWAR covered Billy Ocean. The second half is particularly delightful.

Yeahhhh that was badass.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So this band Noire, sorta sounds like Orchid/Morningrise era Opeth mixed with hints of Storm of the Light's Bane era Dissection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBevwgJnFU

I'm impressed. I always wanted someone make some new music with that same sort of Morningrise vibe.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is why I love this thread(and the black metal one), I always get a bunch of recommendations every time I post. :D

I will check those bands out.

Also, that Noire album is awesome. I just listened to the whole thing while driving.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The new Opeth album is one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

That was a struggle to sit through, and I have been a huge Opeth fan for years.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The new Fallujah album is out there now.

It's pretty loving good.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

What, no mention of the new Gorguts song?

:frogsiren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDyn5lkVNlo :frogsiren:

So apparently this EP is going to be just one long song.

:psyduck:

I'm excited for it. Gorguts is the best.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Drove around today listening to that Witch Vomit album. I like it.

Thank you metal thread. I forgot all about this thread and as soon as I came back I find something cool in it right away.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Durendal posted:

Fans of Insomnium/Be'Lakor may find this worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbKN_bSopL0

I am digging this. Thanks for posting it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

William F Cuckley posted:

you've been visited by the cenotaph of wars past

karl willetts will bless u with sick riffs but only if u post bolt thrower in this thraed

Sleep tight Bolt Thrower

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

The new Opeth leaked. I made it 3 songs.

Longer than I am going to make it. I listened to the single that they put out awhile ago, I'm good.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I used to be a huge Opeth fanboy, and I now treat them the same way I treat Van Halen(another of my favorite bands): I pretend they all died in a plane crash the day after their last good album dropped.

In my mind VanHagar never happened, and Opeth never made a bad album. :c00lbert:

It's just easier that way, than seeing something you like turn to total poo poo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

a fleshy snood posted:

If you're pining for old Opeth just listen to Anciients

A+ recommendation! Never heard of these dudes before, but I just listened to this whole Heart of Oak album on youtube. I like it. Thanks

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I have a semi-metal related question and I don't know where else to ask it: Dude at work turned me onto Nails. At first I wasn't feeling it, but by the end of that first album I listened to(Unsilent Death) I was hooked. It's totally not my normal thing, but goddamn, they are heavy as gently caress.

What else is there out there that I would maybe like that is similar to Nails? Is there a better thread to ask this in? I don't even know what you call this kind of poo poo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I love this thread.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I really like that All Pigs Must Die song, and Baptists! will be checking all this poo poo out.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

Hail Spirit Noir have released the first single from the new album!!

It's about what you'd expect - weird, trippy, discordant, but somehow good!

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2016/10/04/an-ncs-premiere-hail-spirit-noir-i-mean-you-harm/#more-115066

Soundcloud link halfway down the page, I can't find another direct link like a YouTube.

Holy poo poo I didn't know they were still doing stuff. Thanks for the heads up

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The new Anciients album leaked. It's really good. Thanks again to whoever it was in here that turned me onto these guys.

Now I am just waiting for that new Hail Spirit Noir album to come out.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Megadeth is better than Metallica because they(Dave) still occasionally make some cool music, where as Metallica hasn't made anything good since like 1988.

Also Rust in Peace is better than every Metallica album.

That's my hot take.

Cliff, Nick Menza and Marty Friedman and/or Chris Poland probably would of ended up forming a badass band had Cliff not died.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Wait, there is an actual band named Caladan Brood? :psyduck:
I guess they play some earthy rock with burning vocals.

They are basically Summoning but less cool.

It's about those Malazan books instead of LOTR.

I liked their one album though, it's cool they are making new stuff.

I liked that Gallowbraid ep way more though. The dude from Gallowbraid(one man band) is in Caladan Brood.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This album is awesome.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

True story: Rust in Peace is the best thrash album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcySh35ahsY

That first 50 seconds beats everything imo

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 21, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Slough Feg is currently my favorite thing in the world. They are so loving cool.

Is there anything else out there similar to them?

I found Skyclad because of their Wikipedia page lol(and they own), but what else is there?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you familiar with the stuff they're influenced by? Brocas Helm, Cirith Ungol, and Manilla Road. Also, Legend's "From the Fjords" since they covered a song from it and it's one of my favorite records. Aside from that, I guess some contemporaries would be Hammers of Misfortune, Eternal Champion, and Sumerlands. To continue that last one, probably any band Phil Swanson has been in (Atlantean Kodex, Briton Rites, Hour of 13, etc.) I suppose Twister Tower Dire and Isen Torr would also have a similar appeal, too.

Sorry to name off so many bands, not sure to what extent you're familiar, but probably not if you found Skyclad as similar.

I like Eternal Champion, a buddy of mine turned me onto them. But yeah, never really heard of any of these other bands. I will check them all out, thank you!

Also I know about Hammers of Misfortune, but that's a pretty obvious one since Mike Scalzi is in it at points.

edit: Ok I youtubed Cirith Ungol because I recognized it as a Tolkien thing. gently caress yes. This is cool as gently caress

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 28, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Just heard some of the new Mastodon album. Ugh. That poo poo is embarrassing

Remember when they were a metal band?

More Mother Puncher, less of this poo poo please.

Mastodon is basically Opeth at this point. One of my favorite bands ever who never stop making me sad. Instead of being metal, they are doing much shittier versions of lesser music.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 28, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The System has failed was good too, despite having maybe the worst music video ever for one of its songs.

Dave is a douche but Megadeth owns

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Varg posted:

idk new Mastodon songs are doing nothing for me, have some Corpsessed instead

I hate new Mastodon and this album loving owns.

High five. Thanks for turning me onto it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Mollymauk posted:

https://youtu.be/7I72Ayao8M8
Full Artificial Brain set from this past weekend.

I like the singers glasses a lot.

Liking what I hear so far too. What's a good starting point for these guys?

edit: that new Witch Vomit track is awesome. Their album from last year was so loving good, can't wait for more.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZs_Py-1_0

The big change around 2:43 is still pretty awesome all these years later.

I feel bad the guy spent his last day on earth in Detroit. ugh.

Wonder if there is any audio/video of his last show there?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Niiice! thanks man

edit: They sound decent. Chris looks pretty bored during Outshined though. But I don't know if that's just my impression knowing what happens now or not.

I've been to a ton of shows at that venue, and they often sell soundboard recording CD's of the show you just watched. Wonder if they did those that night. Would totally buy one.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 18, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

OK that 18 styles of folk metal video was wild.

Reggae metal is the most absurd poo poo I have ever heard. I kinda dig that Flamenco metal stuff.

Also thanks to whoever posted Duskmourn the other day, been listening to them non stop for two days now. Well alternating between that and the new Witch Vomit.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

The drums are way too loud and the guitars way too low on the new Wintersun. Good poo poo good poo poo.

I forgot all about this album coming out. Thanks for the heads up

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Listened to the new Wintersun at the gym today. Not really impressed. That mix is really bad, as someone else here said.

In other news I saw Slough Feg is currently in the studio making a new album. That rules.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Ensiferum just dropped the first new track from their next album too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiuf4uSYFlQ

This is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I saw Ghost open for Opeth and Mastodon years ago. They were good. I bought their cd at the merch table.

That's my story.