Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I don't get Meshuggah, what am I doing wrong? All I hear is a lot of percussion and an angry dude trying to do percussion with his voice. Which album should I listen to first because it seems i'm missing on something :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

Please post more dad metal and/or make this dad metal week.

My dad got me into Sabbath, Jimmie Hendrix, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. Also, Pink floyd, Talking Heads and the Stones but I guess that's rather off topic.

:cool:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dead Skin Mask is by far my favourite Slayer song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFglDcW7dQ

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

loving Slayer and Motorhead on the same gig, and loving SLIPKNOT is the headliner?! :psyduck:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

That's nothing really, I attended Graspop Metal Meeting this year which had Limp Bizkit headlining in favor of Slayer, Megadeth and Motorhead just to name a few..

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Very amusing Watain interview but I really have problems believing this guy is for real..

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 17, 2012

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

If you haven't seen Rammstein live and get the opportunity, loving do it. Even if you're not the biggest fan. I challenge anybody to come out of one of their shows without a big, stupid "That was the coolest poo poo ever" grin on their face (and possibly minor burns).

E: I also say this because their are rumours floating around about Till "retiring" very soon and I doubt the band will continue after that.

I've seen them two months ago. Fancy show sure, but hardly "the coolest poo poo ever". I might have been a bit more impressed if I didn't stand so far from the stage though.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

fuf posted:

Vader are killer but much heavier than the other bands posted.

Definitely try their EP named The Art of War. It's very thrashy compared to most of their work and it's excellent.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

fuf posted:

Protest The Hero are doing a European tour with TesseracT, The Safety Fire and Intervals.

Should be pretty loving good!

I will definitely be at the Birmingham show, anyone else? :)

I live a couple of miles away from Dordrecht, so yeah :)

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Will be seeing Midnight next fridaynight, can't wait! :D

Anyone know what to expect, I really dig Satanic Royalty.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

cloudline posted:

I've honestly never listened to Gorguts before this week. I have no idea why. But holy fuckdamn, Colored Sands has been on repeat this entire time. I can't get enough of this! I really wish I'd paid more attention when it came out. It's so good!

Couldn't get into it but I need to try it again now.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Never noticed it but yeah, melody wise I can see what you mean.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Totally unrelated, to uh, anything being discussed right now but just posting because it's catchy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beN5ep5MrdY

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Pretty dull in my opinion.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Anybody going to Hellfest this year?

I'll be covering the event with a friend, so we're trying to figure out how to get to Clisson; so if somebody wants to carpool (we'd pay our part of the fuel, etc.) let me know!

Alas, no. I'll be attending Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium and Wacken open Air in Germany but we're planning to go to Hellfest next year.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

As for gmm... Why? Since live nation bought them they became a mainstream (papa Roach, limp bizkit, etc.) festival.

Well, it's only a 40 minutes drive for us and besides the usual terrible headliner choices they've got still enough bands worth going for in my opinion (Ghost, Behemoth, Annihilator, Opeth, Watain, Battlecross, and that's just the first day).

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Sounds promising. My favorite Vader work is the Art of War EP, I always wanted them to make more stuff like that, this sounds pretty close somehow.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Golem II posted:

I need something new to listen to, in the same style as Havok, Bonded by Blood, Warbringer and Vektor. Help?

Dust Bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZCQ5XBAbo

edit - sorry already mentioned

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 7, 2014

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I just saw Watain for the first time last friday and I'm not really into black metal but drat that was one terrific show. Great vocalist too.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Cheapsteaks posted:

Was there any animal blood at the show?

Halfway through the set Erik threw something out of a drinking horn over the front rows. It's said to be animal blood. We didn't feel like standing in the front at this particular show..

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

Also the "Mikael's voice is deaaaaaad and Opeth hates metal" thing doesn't really jive with what I've experienced. I saw them last April and they played a setlist that had more growling than clean singing -- also, Mikael's growls were perfect.

I totally agree with you. I've seen them six times and they never fail to impress. Though I hope their new album won't be as dull as Heritage.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

m-o-o-n posted:

He sounds like poo poo.

They should be playing indoors only anyway.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Just returned from Wacken. Amon Amarth loving slayed, never saw so many crowdsurfers at a single gig. It was crazy. I went to Dordeduh twice as they where amazing.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Chtonic was incredible, though I'm pretty sure the singer was a bit confused about where he was playing when he demanded that the crowd sing along to a song with Chinese lyrics :confused:

That song has some English sentences which where projected on the video behind the band (I was in the front row, also I'm on their self shot crowd picture they've put on facebook. :cool:)

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

The new Midnight album is fantastic :pervert:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Turk February posted:

I'm going to a free show at the Hell's Headbanger's compound today that will feature Midnight, Nunslaughter, Acid Witch, and Shitfucker. It's going to be pretty rad.

I saw them last year at a very small venue, it was great. One of the best gigs I've been to in 2013.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Can we take a second to recognize how amazingly crushing the new Triptykon is?

I want to like it so hard, but it bores the poo poo out of me :(

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Alvarez IV posted:

I hate to ask about intangible subjective qualities like this, but what bands are best for evoking the feeling of magic rituals? Not like "sacrifice a virgin on a flaming pentagram drawn in blood" rituals, but closer to "stab the athame into the chalice and dance naked in the woods" rituals. I haven't been huge into metal since I was twelve, but I'm looking for stuff with the feeling of Sabbath, Rainbow, or prison-era Burzum (even though it's not really metal). Zeppelin also counts, although that's less metal than Burzum.

The Devil's Blood.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Will see Bolt Thrower saturday, at a free festival over here in The Netherlands. Can't wait!

edit:

Willeh posted:

Bolt thrower is playing in town this saturday for free and I'm gonna be in the front row :neckbeard:

Uh, I mean, me too.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Thanks to the goon linking to Temple of Void. Their studio album is excellent! Listening non-stop for a some days already.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

This doesn't really belong in here maybe but I saw Jim Breuer last night. Couldn't believe more then half of his show was him doing jokes and stories that are on youtube for years already.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Alcest just got off stage. Really good. I wasn't really familiar with their material, and it was really good.

Alcest bored me to tears. Opeth was, as always, great. Metalfrontmen should stop immitating Hetfield though, poo poo is getting really old.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Newsflash, new Machine Head album sucks rear end. Yeah I know, most people didn't expect much to begin with but since their debut album I can't help myself hoping they will ever bring out something like that :(

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Willeh posted:

I was thinking of going to that but not with Slipknot, Scorpions, LB and Korn on the bill.

Red Fang are also playing Hellfest according to their facebook.

We're talking about a 3 day festival offering over 120 bands. I don't know about you but I can only see about at maximum (and that's pushing it) 10 bands a day before collapsing..

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Also no mention of Orange Goblin and Amon Amarth.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

But I didn't think AA released anything this year? Last was Deceiver of the Gods, right?

Ah yes, my bad. It was released in 2013.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

You also might like Dordeduh. Atmospheric slavic sounding folk with black metal.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Went to a Vader, Sodom, Arch Enemy and Kreator gig last night. Vader started and were great, as they usually are. Everything else after was boring in comparison.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

thorsilver posted:

I probably should expand my progressive death metal explorations beyond just Opeth, too, I guess. No idea where to start there either.

You might like Cynic and Gorguts.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dirtballer posted:

Interested to know what is everyone's favourite gig they went to this year? Personally it's Behemoth at the Forum in London a couple of weeks ago.

My favorite gigs in 2014:

1. Lamb of God in Tilburg, Netherlands
2. Amon Amarth at Wacken Open Air
3. Bolt Thrower at Baroeg Open Air
4. Opeth at Graspop Metal Meeting
5. Ledz Zep at Wacken Open Air
6. Gorguts at Neurotic Death Fest
7. Dordeduh at Wacken Open Air
8. Behemoth at Tilburg 013
9. Nile at Graspop Metal Meeting
10. Black Sabbath at Graspop Metal Meeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

What about Urban Dance Squad, speaking about rap/metal. And gently caress you guys, Bodycount and RATM are great.